Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Volmarias posted:

Excellent, a new thread.

A resume came in! Or rather, entire truckloads. Some resume tips if you wish to get an actual interview:

- Proofead your resume ... if you make thes kinds of gramatical and spelling errors what kind of code do you think we think you will write
- When including references to applications that you've published, you may wish to remove the ones with only one review, which is for 1 star.
- I'm glad that your debugging skills are so good that you felt compelled to point this out in your resume. Sadly, it doesn't indicate what you think it does.
- Want to let us know how good you are? Then by means let us know that you are an expert in (insert 10 random widget classes here). This gives us an excellent indicator of your caliber.
- Sometimes, listing too many technologies and skills is as bad as listing too few, especially when they're skills you (and the rest of the world) haven't used for decades.

My kingdom for a competent mobile developer prospect :negative:

The best is people including headshots for an IT job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
The best is when a user moved a folder months ago by accidentally clicking and dragging it into another folder. Then they rage about the computer eating the folder and you can't find it on the backups either because they copied it there. Finally after searching you find it and try not to make them look like an rear end.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
XP mode is a trap. It looks great initially but ends up failing or disjoining itself from the domain. Typically it works for a few weeks OK until you develop ways to deploy it large scale. Half way through deployment it begins to show major problems.

Microsoft did everyone a favor not including it in W8.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

redstormpopcorn posted:

Just start referring to it as Corporation/Employee and see who takes issue.

Anyone heard of/used ForensIT's User Profile Wizard? We're gonna be doing some heavy migration here pretty soon, would it be worth trying?

I've used it before about a year ago to move 10 computers from no domain to domain. It worked awesome. About the only thing people had to reenter was their Outlook password.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

porktree posted:

Is there simple program that as support you can use to capture the environment of a users desktop? Something that get's running processes, ram and cpu usage, and does some pinging and tracerouting, then emails the data back to you? I'm asking because we've got unmanaged winx machines owned by our sales reps, and the underperformers are complaining it's because the order entry program keeps 'freezing' up and they have to 'reboot'. Oddly no internal users of the order entry program have this issue :) It would be nice to have them just run this program when they have the 'freeze' (whatever that may mean) on the off chance there is actually a problem.

I don't mean to be that snarky about the users, but of the 150 people using the order entry program every day, only a vocal 15-20 have any issues at all, and when someone shadows their session, then never have the problem that 'happens all the time'.

I seem to remember a program that fed this data back, but can't remember what it was.

Sysinfo can give you a lot of local pc info. Couple it with a batch to save ping and tracerts to a file and you're done.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Pro tip to anyone with the cloud to butt extension turned on. It will replace forms you are typing in with butt as well. Normally hilarious but bad for job apps.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

jim truds posted:

We sent 4 emails about not upgrading to iOS7. People still did not listen.

MDM should be able to prevent people from upgrading to iOS7. However Apple in all their wisdom did not think that was important and users are free to upgrade as they please. The only block is IT going guys please don't upgrade.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Lum posted:

Same thing with FERPA, I just know that from rants on IRC. Related: Apparently someone in the US with the same first name and first letter of surname as my GF has a child that is currently doing very badly in school, to the point of the school trying to email the parents.

I have my personal email address as : MRmylastname@gmail.com

Emails about children learning classes
Window coating treatments
Drug testing urinalysis appointment times
Bank deposit confirmations

In each case I have sent an email saying that they have reached the wrong person.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I have firstinitiallastname@gmail.com, with my last name being pretty common, and I get probably 5-10 emails a week. Loads of sensitive medical/financial stuff.

What the heck there is even a ask/tell about this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567666

my favorite:
-I was scolded by the Gay Foreign Service Officers Guam Party Planning Committee for not cleaning up after a party

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I knew it was in the profile but never knew where:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff625288.aspx

Why hasn't Microsoft made the autocomplete cache a separate address book? It's the worst part about supporting Outlook.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Jedi425 posted:

TI-83 calculator.

I-Pad. Then complain it can't run line of business apps or Office.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

The Electronaut posted:

JavaRing. Ran Java Card on the one wire standard. Those were given out at java world in mid to late nineties additionally Dallas semiconductor sold them.

Apparently they existed for guys like this guy http://www.nngroup.com/articles/javaring-wearable-computer/
to write up articles in 98 on how they are the future. Instead he uses it to load up his homepage to take a picture of himself for his article

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

You can have multiple people using PDQ inventory on terminal services server. Each user needs a license. It's not designed to work this way but it does work. The newest beta of PDQ deploy supports sharing packages over a central repository.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Heners_UK posted:

Ok but I'm going to rename my version just to be safe.

I'm going to save it locally to a thumb drive because I don't trust the network. Then I'll blame IT when it becomes corrupt and can't be recovered!

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

hihifellow posted:

We've got the next one up (fi-6800) just sitting in our stock room collecting dust. HR wanted it to go all ER with their documents, and were pushing hard to get it ready as quick as possible, but just clammed up at the last minute and now the project is in indefinite hiatus. Sixteen grand worth of scanner just sitting around, doing nothing. These things need regular maintenance too.

Fujitsu fi scanners are legit. They really don't require much maintenance past changing out rollers and cleaning the glass. I've seen one go 5 million pages and was only retired because they wanted to buy a new scanner instead of paying a tech to tune it up.

You can call up Fujitsu support and get a real tech person after one menu option and maybe a couple minutes of waiting.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

peak debt posted:

The scanner hardware is cool but hearing the word Kofax p much gives me PTSD now.

What problems have you had with Kofax? The Fujitsu scanner connecting to Kofax VRS with an ISIS driver which then presents itself to the scanner application does seem a little clunky but it does work well.

BTW Fujitsu is moving away from Kofax VRS with their new scanners and instead using PaperStream IP. This is basically Fujitsu's version of Kofax VRS and replicates the functionality without the complexity. You only have to install one driver and you're set.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

hihifellow posted:

A phone call came in... my grandmother saw the "Update to Windows 10!" dialog box and clicked it, and is now utterly helpless.

I really should get her a chromedesk.

You have 30 days to roll back to previous version of Windows. However a Chromebook is a great option for non technical people, cuts down family tech support calls to almost 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Methanar posted:

I've got a warehouse situation where it's a pain in the rear end to to actually press ctrl alt del to sign into windows. It would be much easier if the guys were able to just scan a barcode glued nearby.

Has anyone ever made/used a barcode that represented ctrl alt delete? I tried creating a barcode with the ascii values for ctrl alt and del but it didn't quite work. For whatever reason just keeping the machines permanently signed in or disabling the ctrl alt del screen through GPO are not acceptable solutions.

--

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle computers that are in extremely dusty and dirty locations? There are some small passively cooled machines around but they die off at close to the same rate as some of the larger fan cooled ones. Oddly it's particularly the hard drives that seem to be dying. I would think it would be a heat related issue but it seems to be the hard drives that can't handle the dust.

How is your barcode scanner configured? A lot are configured to press enter or tab after scanning a code. This could interfere with your CTRL-ALT-DEL scanning.

I'd take a look at SSD's for your dusty location computers. Have you thought about putting them in industrial dust enclosures designed for PC's?

• Locked thread