Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PST posted:

The Delta Green Kickstarter has gone live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game

On top of the base game, an extra $50 gets the hardback of 'The Fall of Delta Green' being written by Ken Hite. It's not a stretch goal but I'm going to guess will come out some time after the main book.

It went live about 30 mins ago and is already over $10k which isn't bad for an 18 year old roleplay setting.

:cthulhu: Delta Green Kickstarter update. :cthulhu:

Funded to 40K in less than four hours.

New objectives to unlock!

quote:

Stretch Goals

This project is moving fast! Here are some of downloads and books you'll be able to get as Add-On Rewards (see below!) when we hit these new funding targets...

FUNDED! THE AGENT'S HANDBOOK: Everything you need to play Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game.

FUNDED! "VISCID": A new Delta Green scenario by Dennis Detwiller, wherein the agents find that even magic has a half-life. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $50K, "OBSERVER EFFECT": A new Delta Green scenario by Shane Ivey. Most physicists think a new lab's experiment to study the nature of reality won't reveal a thing. Your Delta Green agents might learn otherwise. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $120K, THE EXPANDED CORE BOOK: This big, color hardback will have everything from the Agent's Handbook plus a Game Moderator's view of the setting and ton of new material for running Delta Green campaigns, customizing the setting and the threats, and keeping your players surprised and scared. ADD-ON COST: $70.

And we have a lot more to come....

quote:

Developers and Key Personnel

DENNIS DETWILLER—WRITER, EDITOR, ILLUSTRATOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green and co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing, Dennis also created or co-created the tabletop roleplaying games Godlike, Wild Talents, Nemesis, and Insylum. Currently design director at Harebrained Schemes (Necropolis), he was previously VP of Creative at Warner Bros. International Enterprises and produced bestselling mobile and console games for Nickelodeon, Hothead Games, and Radical Entertainment (Prototype). He's still asked to autograph cards he painted in the early years of Magic: The Gathering.

ADAM SCOTT GLANCY—WRITER: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, Scott is president of Pagan Publishing, where the first Delta Green books were produced. He oversees its line of Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks to this day: most recently Mysteries of Mesoamerica, Bumps in the Night, and the forthcoming Horrors of War.

JOHN SCOTT TYNES—ADVISOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, John founded Pagan Publishing and the seminal Cthulhu Mythos gaming magazine The Unspeakable Oath. He led the production of the first few Delta Green game and fiction books: Delta Green, Countdown, Alien Intelligence, The Rules of Engagement (collected in Strange Authorities), and Dark Theatres. He co-created Atlas Games' Unknown Armies, which is soon getting a long-awaited new edition of its own. For years he designed PC and console video games. These days he manages the Imagine Cup for Microsoft.

SHANE IVEY—WRITER, EDITOR: Co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing and a former newspaper copy editor and magazine editor, Shane has managed and edited the last few Delta Green game and fiction projects: Eyes Only, Targets of Opportunity, Through a Glass, Darkly, Strange Authorities, Tales from Failed Anatomies, and Extraordinary Renditions. He's editor-in-chief of The Unspeakable Oath and has spearheaded game lines including Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, and Better Angels.

GREG STOLZE—WRITER: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Alien Intelligence, Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions), Greg is also co-creator of Unknown Armies with John Scott Tynes, Godlike with Dennis Detwiller, Wild Talents with Detwiller, Shane Ivey, and Kenneth Hite, Nemesis with Detwiller, Ivey, and Adam Crossingham, and author of Reign, Better Angels, the Wild Talents setting books Progenitor, eCollapse, and (with Kenneth Hite) Grim War, and the almost-but-not-quite Delta Green novel Mask of the Other.

KENNETH HITE—WRITER, EDITOR: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions) and the author of the upcoming Gumshoe game The Fall of Delta Green, Ken is the creator or co-creator of Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, The Dracula Dossier, Ken Writes About Stuff, Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, and many other award-winning works.

Q: What does a Delta Green game sound like?

Look no further than "The Lover in the Ice" :http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2011/05/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-delta-green-lover-in-the-ice/

Q: What is the Delta Green world like?

Here are three excellent short stories written by one of the authors and professionally narrated.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/11/unspeakable-episode-16-intelligences-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/12/unspeakable-episode-17-philosophy-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/10/unspeakable-episode-15-drowning-in-sand-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

Q: Is there a podcast where I can listen to what's new in Delta Green moderated by the authors?

Why yes there is!

quote:

News about the upcoming Delta Green book!

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/...t-gen-con-2015/

Featuring:
-Less math in rolls!
-Fewer skills and a concomitant shift to using basic stats! For example: Want to take a picture under duress? Might take a Dex x5 roll rather than the Photography skill.
-Your skill level actually matters more than a roll! Have a 50 in Archaeology? You may get further insight into a scene automatically without rolling Spot Hidden!
-Combat is more lethal! Introducing Kill Chances! Grenades and mortars are loving deadly!
-Combat is more dangerous! You can be shaken and lose sanity!
-Gun fondling!
-Greg Stolze! Integrating the Sanity mechanics from Unknown Armies into Cthulhu!
-Bonds as sources of stability! Be like Martin Hart and take out your frustrations on your family to gain a small respite from the horrors of the Mythos! Who is the real monster now!?!

http://www.delta-green.com/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

S.J. posted:

Someone tell me why I shouldn't get Delta Green.

You don't have a $20 to spare this month. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I respect Delta Green for being a fantastic update to Call of Cthulhu but I still find myself unenthused about Call of Cthulhu. I've actually played a lot of it, even, but I still have a hard time seeing the Mythos as any more frightening than the Universal Monsters.

This. This right here; if you have this feeling you've been in a bad Mythos game. Cthulhu shouldn't be run as Monster of the Week. A sense of mystery and creeping sense of "well poo poo" is central to a Cthulhu game.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

JackMann posted:

Yeah. It's an issue with overexposure. If you want to tell Lovecraftian horror, you pretty much have to make up your own creatures and anomalies. Too many players recognize even the more obscure Lovecraftian beasties.

This is what I mean by "mystery" in the previous post. The players should never be able to say "It's a Fungi". The burden is on the Keeper (Handler now I suppose) to keep the players guessing about what the Entity/monster is if there is one in the scenario. Fear dies if you can mentally apply a stat block to something or come up with ten citations off the top of your head for the monster.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

homullus posted:

If you're going to make up your own monsters, why bother with Mythos?

... the point of the Mythos is cosmic horror. It's form is protean.

Otherwise Cthulhu is just a goblin.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

malkav11 posted:

This is, I suspect, a large part of why they're pointing at Lover in the Ice as their go to example of play. It's super creepy and wholly original.

Yes. Exactly.

homullus posted:

I mean . . . that's exactly what I was saying. If the form The Adversary is protean in your game, The Adversary doesn't need to be Mythos. If you're using Cthulu and Hounds of Tindalos and Arkham and blablahblah, it's a "monster of the week" setting, and player knowledge of the setting can detract from the feeling of incomprehensible horror. If you're not using those, why bother with Mythos at all? You are either actively using the thing that actually removes mystery due to its market saturation, or you are ignoring the depth the setting has. I guess you can use Cthulu and all the other usual suspects as a spice rather than a vegetable, usually making up your own threats, but occasionally giving players what they would have been expecting if you hadn't already broken their Mythos expectations.

Ok. I think I see now. I've made the mistake of using the term 'Mythos' when I really mean 'cosmic horror'. If you view the Mythos as simply the Usual Squamous Subjects that Sandy Peter's statted out as antagonists, I can see how they are really not scary anymore and are very much like Universal Horror monsters because of over exposure. Technically there is nothing intrinsically scary about a starfish headed creature flying around the Antarctic. The Fear comes from what that means for humanity's place in the universe.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That looks slick as hell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's got a nice balance between worker placement, economy and area control - sort of like Tzol'kin, but with Dudes on a Map replacing the temporal aspect that burns brains in that game.

Also I've had an amusing influence on the rulebook.

What is Tzol'kin?

Also this has tingled my interest. Please report back.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:cthulhu: More Delta Green news :cthulhu:

Add to the social media campaign, get more content unlocked.

Links here: http://www.delta-green.com/2015/10/agents-of-delta-green-start-recruiting/

quote:

Agents of Delta Green, start recruiting!

The Kickstarter program for Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game is going strong with 18 days left. So far we’ve focused on reaching out to die-hard fans of Delta Green and offering them as many options and rewards as possible. Now it’s time to expand our reach.

Agents and Friendlies, Delta Green needs you!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Help us spread the word through Retweets, Favorites, and Likes. Post writeups and recordings of your experiences with the new game.

The more coverage we get, the more milestones we’ll hit. Every time we hit a milestone, we’ll unlock a reward and update the numbers to open up a new milestone.

NB: The links in the image are found here: http://www.delta-green.com/2015/10/agents-of-delta-green-start-recruiting/

quote:

Give Us Your Links!

Tell people about playing Delta Green: The Role-Playing game using the new rules. We want you to share it! Here are some possibilities

A blog post
A detailed forum post
Pictures from your game
An audio or video recording of your game
A podcast talking about the game
A review of how the rules work (bearing in mind they may change a little before press!)
An interview with the designers
Send us the link to what you’ve created. (Comment here, Message us at Kickstarter, send email, whatever.) We’ll add it to the Links Achieved menu and count it toward the milestones.

Links Achieved

“Delta Green: Inheritance” (Actual Play audio)
Summary at The Escapist
Interview: Kenneth Hite on The Fall of Delta Green
Interview: Shane Ivey on Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
Interview: Gil Trevizo on Delta Green: Operational History
Scenario Workshop at Gen Con 2015
Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game seminar at Gen Con 2015

Rewards Unlocked

Watch this space!

Upcoming Rewards

As we unlock these we’ll put them together. We’ll make each available as quickly as possible.

“A Victim of the Art”: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
Art prints: Dennis Detwiller’s paintings from Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game will be made available as fine-art prints you can order from a third-party vendor (art.com).
“Lover in the Ice”: Caleb Stokes’ scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
“Music from a Darkened Room”: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
“Music from a Darkened Room” audio: A recording of Shane Ivey running “Music from a Darkened Room” for his friends (two episodes)
Future/Perfect, Part 1: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
Future/Perfect, Part 1 audio: A recording of Shane Ivey running Future/Perfect, Part 1 for his friends (two episodes)
Future/Perfect, Part 2: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
Future/Perfect, Part 2 audio: A recording of Shane Ivey running Future/Perfect, Part 2 for his friends (two episodes)
Future/Perfect, Part 3: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
“Alphonse’s Axioms for Agents”: Available as a game prop, an old email printed out for reference
Future/Perfect, Part 4: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
High-res wallpapers: Six high-resolution wallpapers of art from Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game available free to all backers at the $20 “Agent’s PDF” tier and higher
“The Last Equation”: Dennis Detwiller’s scenario converted to Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game

Delta Green Core Rules preview: https://www.dropbox.com/s/icny21ke8lblraj/Delta%20Green%20RPG%20cheat%20sheets.pdf?dl=0

Delta Green Character Sheet preview: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5movs8ora7l1v2/Delta%20Green%20RPG%20character%20sheet%20forms.pdf?dl=0

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 10, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There's currently a Kickstarter for Rippers Resurrected, a sequel to the Savage Worlds setting Rippers. I don't have much experience with the Savage Worlds system, but I recently got the basic system, so I'm considering getting it.

Huh. Interesting premise. Rip the powers out of monsters to fight them. Bet it would not be too difficult to make a Bloodborne hack out of that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if this is official or fan made but I like the split title.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

senrath posted:

I hope it's not official. If I didn't know what it was supposed to say there's no way in hell I would've picked up that it said "Delta Green".

boom boom boom posted:

I am so psyched for RE|TO U|ILLN

... I literally didn't see it that way until you posted it. Huh.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

In a much less dumb kickstarter...Scythe is now live.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe

Interesting. Do you know anything about the Empire building rules?

Edit: Looks really quite good.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some part of me really likes those dancing dice.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

Lovecraftesque is in its final countdown. It's a GMless cosmic horror game that is meant to make mythos horror stories without being so darn racist: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1122788890/lovecraftesque

I haven't made my mind up about it yet. Has anyone read their rules preview and have some thoughts to share?

Cover art is ok but this loving rules

Check out the venus fly trap chandeliers and the suggestive color balance on the food. I realized the black eyes were creepy but it was a full minute until I even noticed the legs.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Up until this moment, I didn't really believe there were people stupid enough to deny Lovecraft's racism. Guess I know better now! :stare:

No one denied it. You are being an rear end in a top hat.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mycot posted:

Gandalf the Rainbow is pretty radical.

Owns

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
New kickstarter. Appropriately advertised in the winter months.

quote:

Editions Icare is proud to present a French role playing game with a truly original theme, already loved by players for the quality of its writing and its illustrations, now in English language for the first time ever. This funding campaign aims to back the professional translation of the work, and its distribution in the USA and the United Kingdom. Our publishing company, now eight years old, is specialized in publishing independent role-playing games with strong themes. We would therefore like to invite you to discover Würm, a role playing game that takes place at the very origins of humanity, which will surely strike a chord with both new and experienced players alike.

Humanity before history began, thirty five thousand years ago, in the middle of an ice age…

Link to Kickstarter Campaign

When you play Würm, it will be up to you to imagine what life was like for our ancestors, and give YOUR OWN vision of this time before time. During your adventures, whether simply surviving or going on perilous hunts or legendary quests, your characters will gain strength, wisdom and prestige by exploring unknown territories, daring to enter the darkness of mysterious caves, seeking out the powers of ancient spirits, or challenging the creatures of the night, the ice and the fire…

All the rules you need to play Würm are included in the core rulebook, detailed over nine chapters. These rules were designed to be simple and clear. For the most part, they only require a few 6-sided dice. Most of all, they were designed to be well adapted to the atmosphere of the Stone Age. For example, to develop the characters, you won’t need skills and stats, but a number of Strengths and Weaknesses that are connected to specific totems. Additionally, Talents and Secret techniques represent the abilities that a character will have to learn, such as painting, shamanism or certain combat techniques.

The game rules have been developed to be as close as possible to established archeological sources, carefully relaying what we know of the technical knowledge, the environment and part of the culture of our ancestors. However, the world of Würm also leaves room for a touch of fantasy and adventure: you will therefore find rules that allow you to play with the real powers of totem spirits, as well as a whole range of fantastical creatures living along side the mammoths and the cave bears, such as fire spirits, witches and glacier giants…

To let you dive right into the prehistoric adventure of the world of Würm, the core rulebook ends with four introduction scenarios, each one providing a specific atmosphere, such as adventure, investigation, melancholy, or humor. One scenario is especially designed for the initiation of younger players!

So prepare your flint or ivory-tipped spears, and make sure your clan and your totem spirits are behind you. The adventure begins the second you step outside your camp…Editions Icare is proud to present a French role playing game with a truly original theme, already loved by players for the quality of its writing and its illustrations, now in English language for the first time ever. This funding campaign aims to back the professional translation of the work, and its distribution in the USA and the United Kingdom. Our publishing company, now eight years old, is specialized in publishing independent role-playing games with strong themes. We would therefore like to invite you to discover Würm, a role playing game that takes place at the very origins of humanity, which will surely strike a chord with both new and experienced players alike. Humanity before history began, thirty five thousand years ago, in the middle of an ice age… In this long-forgotten time, many powerful creatures roamed far and wide over a vast territory covered in steppes and taiga, reaching from the white mountains to the raging sea: mammoths, aurochs, bison, giant deer, cave bears and cave lions. Among these huge creatures, two species of humans live in small communities of hunter-gatherers: the robust Bear Men (Neanderthals) and the taller Long Men (Cro-Magnon, or Cavemen).

All the rules you need to play Würm are included in the core rulebook, detailed over nine chapters. These rules were designed to be simple and clear. For the most part, they only require a few 6-sided dice. Most of all, they were designed to be well adapted to the atmosphere of the Stone Age. For example, to develop the characters, you won’t need skills and stats, but a number of Strengths and Weaknesses that are connected to specific totems. Additionally, Talents and Secret techniques represent the abilities that a character will have to learn, such as painting, shamanism or certain combat techniques. The game rules have been developed to be as close as possible to established archeological sources, carefully relaying what we know of the technical knowledge, the environment and part of the culture of our ancestors. However, the world of Würm also leaves room for a touch of fantasy and adventure: you will therefore find rules that allow you to play with the real powers of totem spirits, as well as a whole range of fantastical creatures living along side the mammoths and the cave bears, such as fire spirits, witches and glacier giants… To let you dive right into the prehistoric adventure of the world of Würm, the core rulebook ends with four introduction scenarios, each one providing a specific atmosphere, such as adventure, investigation, melancholy, or humor. One scenario is especially designed for the initiation of younger players! So prepare your flint or ivory-tipped spears, and make sure your clan and your totem spirits are behind you. The adventure begins the second you step outside your camp…

Please make sure to let us know if you have any question.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I really like this idea given that any rpg images are going to be thrown around /tg/ anyway.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Würm Update.

quote:

A couple cool news about the project:

-- A sneak peak PDF to Würm the RPG is now available for download. Inside you'll find a summary of the game system, a character sheet and a community sheet (used to track tribes). Download it HERE.

-- Update #6 on the Kickstarter page shows that the second stretch goal for the project (at 14000 Euros) will add the GM screen in English. My understanding is that all the backers will still get the PDF of the Screen, and pledges at 110 Euros and up (those that originally includes the printed French screen) will get a printed English screen instead of the French one, if the project gathers at least 14000 Euros.

-- Update 6# also mentions the translation of additional adventures with further stretch goals. These will be available in PDF for 45 Euros backers and up, and printed for 60 Euros backers).

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let me set you straight here: there's absolutely nothing frivolous about saying "I want to burn books that I don't like", even if those books are about magical dragon adventures. I take that very seriously, as any American should.

You're also misusing "armchair diagnosing" but w/e. I would prefer you not try to minimize weird censorship fantasies in Kickstarter updates.

Didn't someone in the very beginning of the FATAL and Friends Megathread post pictures (or was it just talk about) her burning the Exalted: Infernals book?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mycot posted:

That does kinda refute the "I would react the same if they were burning copies of FATAL" argument earlier.

:omarcomin:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

He did an AMA the other day and the man's body of work is so large. He's been everywhere in pioneering games both digital and otherwise.

Other than write the first edition of Call of Cthulhu what else has he been involved in?

Edit: Just checked wikipedia :stonk: MicroProse for starters? Holy poo poo!

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 18, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:neckbeard: These look so cool.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
No Country For Old Kobolds is a fantastic name.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Modiphius have a kickstarter for another post apocalyptic expansion to the award winning Mutant: Year Zero.

Which they advertise as a "furry and feathered (r)evolution" but I digress....

quote:

"In a remote mountain valley, mutant animals dwell under the watchful eyes of the mysterious Watchers. Kept prisoners for generations by electric wire and drones in the sky, never knowing who's next to be dragged off to deadly experiments in dark laboratories, the animal mutants have had enough. The time for resistance is now. The fight for freedom has come..."

Mutant: Genlab Alpha is the first major expansion to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning pen&paper roleplaying game by Free League Publishing and Modiphius Entertainment. But Mutant: Genlab Alpha is no mere supplement - it stands on its own and can be played as a complete game in its own right.

quote:

Mutant: Genlab Alpha tells the story of the mutant animals, and introduces them into the dawnworld of Mutant: Year Zero. Some of the contents:

● New rules, PC roles, skills and powers for mutant animals. The expansion includes all the rules you need to play!
● A detailed description of Paradise Valley, the mountain valley where the animals are being held, including a beautiful full-color map.
● A description of the mysterious underground facility called the Labyrinth, where the Watchers dwell.
● The complete campaign Escape from Paradise, letting the characters lead the fight for freedom and uncover the mysteries of the Watchers.
● Unique strategic game mechanics for putting the players truly in charge of the Resistance, planning its operations.
● An overview of how the mutant animals can travel to the Zone if they manage to escape, and join the human mutants of Mutant: Year Zero.

They smashed through their kickstarter goal in less than one day and the Stretch goals are pretty cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-genlab-alpha/description

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

People going hard for that Furry money I guess.

Now have someone do a Usagi Yojimbo game, because that's basically the only good anthro animal property (well, I guess the TMNT comics if you count that).

http://www.amazon.com/Usagi-Yojimbo-Roleplaying-Game-Prtg/dp/1890305022

:shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

I don't know, I'm not getting a furry vibe from the aesthetic. It seems like the illustrations from a traditional animal fable gone post-apocalyptic.

I love the :stare: badgers.

To be fair a bunch of mutants :catstare: at the Post apoc Zone outside their enclave is exactly the tone they are going for (from the core book at least).

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I like the Rifts world

I think Kevin Siembieda is a dick and a thief.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
As superficial as it is, art plays a big role for me if I buy an table top rpg too. I'm primarily looking for a creative backstory and the art usually makes it or breaks it.

At least in recent times. White wolf books have hilarious art.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
what's wrong with more orc minis?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Has he still not fixed the Death Spiral in the system yet?

I mean, it would be as simple as "Player characters have Health equal to the sum of their maximum stat pools. When they lose 1/3 of their health, they're X. When they lose 2/3, they're Y. When they lose 3/3, they're unconscious." Ya know instead of your fate point pool also being your health.

Also, this is the second game to come out on Kickstarter that looks like it was inspired by Exalted...

Godbound: A Game of Divine Heroes has launched. It's an OSR game so interest in that subsection of the hobby is necessary. Kevin Crawford has consistently released on time in the past, his products have high quality and production values, and have been pretty fun. Also, to my knowledge, he isn't "outdated" is his views like some of the OSR, if you know what I mean.

If you want to try before you buy, he has put up a link to the game that he wanted backers to share.

:argh:

Sine Nomine Publishing has another Kickstarter.

Godbound

The art budget has clearly increased.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/godbound-a-game-of-divine-heroes

quote:

Godbound is a tabletop role-playing game of newborn divinities awakening to unimaginable power. These men and women find themselves bound to the Words of Creation, the primal powers of a fallen cosmos where the Throne of God stands empty.

The world is shattered, its scattered realms racked by the aftershocks of the Last War and the final terrible struggle of the Made Gods who strove to replace the vanished Creator. Some realms have been reduced to nothing more than blasted wastelands and silent bones, while others still endure in faded splendor and growing hardship. Their natural laws flicker, for the great engines of Heaven have begun to fail from lack of care. Their angelic guardians were long ago dispersed by the Made Gods and now nurse a bitter hatred of humanity's usurpation.

There are heroes still, and shining cities, and peaceful villages where a son may grow old in his father's trade, but these things darken with each new year's passage. The world winds down by slow inches. Into this twilight age have come the Godbound. Some say that it is the decaying husks of the Made Gods that give them their power, gobbets of divinity falling like rot to congeal about the souls of humankind. Others believe that it is the work of the Creator, reaching out from Their silence to touch Their creations with new light. Most do pretend to know why it is that a common peasant girl should ignite with the sun's own brilliance, or a grizzled old soldier should suddenly find half an army falling before his notched blade.

The Godbound bring hope and terror in equal measure. Even the freshly-awakened among them have incredible powers, able to hurl thunderbolts like lesser men throw stones, or spit curses that kill five generations of their enemy's kin. They are burnt to ashes, and rise anew. They are buried under hillsides, and shout the stones apart. They sing up gold from barren earth or pour out an autumn harvest from their saddlebags. They work miracles, and men tremble.

Yet they are men and women, with the dreams that men and women dream. Some are saviors, determined to lift their people from their hardships and lead them to a better day. Others are mercenaries, lending their aid to whatever lord or sorcerer-prince can pay them in suitable coin. And some, of course, are blind fools who wield their powers with the recklessness of children, building their dreams on the bones of the poor mortals around them. There are few who can gainsay a Godbound's will.

Even so, such terrible powers do exist. In the wilderness the wretched parasite gods swell on stolen celestial power, sucking the world's blood from its wounds. Grim eldritch adepts plumb nameless secrets and forge pacts with the monstrous Uncreated for power enough to tax even a divinity. Hulking Misbegotten shamble from the darkness and bring their numberless spawn behind them. These and other foes can force a Godbound to flee or perish if the newborn wielder of the Words hasn't the help of a faithful pantheon of allies.

The heroes of Godbound are hurled into a world unprepared for their coming. They will shake the pillars of fallen Heaven and scar the thrones of the kings of earth. Some will seek adventure, others the pleasures of rule, and a few no more than the small and homely things that fate would conspire to deny them. Yet what they will find, in the end, only you can say.

What Does Godbound Offer?

Godbound is a tabletop role-playing game from Sine Nomine Publishing built specifically to support the tremendous deeds and realm-changing ambitions of demigod PCs. Forget zero-to-hero; characters in Godbound start off as legendary powers. From the very first game session they have the gifts and abilities necessary to fulfill their role as throne-shaking wild cards in a world that is slowly crumbling around them.

Yet this support isn't just for the players. Godbound is built in the classic Sine Nomine Publishing style, fabricated from the very start with the tools, techniques, and resources a GM needs to actually support demigod PCs and their doings. Godbound doesn't leave you alone to guess at the sort of things these heroes might be challenged by, or invite you to handwave the results of their deeds and ambitions. It gives you solid mechanics and clear tools to make a GM's job a pleasure rather than a grim test of ingenuity.

Godbound's mechanics are inspired by the classic old-school role-playing games of the early eighties, streamlined in ways informed by more modern design trends. While the single core book contains everything you need to play a campaign, you can also pull in content from these other old-school games and slot it swiftly into your campaign. You won't run out of content for your far-faring heroes when you can draw from forty years worth of creative effort to flesh out your campaign world or divert your players.

Even those GMs who don't actually want to use the mechanics that Godbound provides can get value from the book. The faction system that handles PC interaction with kingdoms and cabals and the change-creating system that manages their efforts to induce large-scale alterations in a place are both easily lifted and exported to other gaming systems. There are dozens of pages of GM tools for building noble courts, perilous ruins, or interesting obstacles to a goal, all system-neutral as well, and all meant to be slipped in conveniently into almost any fantasy role-playing game.

While I'm proud of the playability and flexibility of Godbound, I recognize that some GMs will want to use other systems with the tools I provide. In the traditional Sine Nomine Publishing fashion, I've made a point of building the book so it's still useful to people who prefer to use other systems, and still gives them their money's worth in resources and toolkits.

The funds raised with this Kickstarter will support the creation of a free PDF version of Godbound containing everything necessary to play the game, much as I have done with my award-winning Stars Without Number sci-fi RPG. This free version will help ensure that you have an easy time picking up additional players for your table. Beyond this, there will be an additional deluxe version that backers will receive as part of their pledge. In this deluxe edition are about 40 more pages of content, including:

Rules for creating mortal PCs, both common men and women struggling to survive and those heroes who can threaten even the Godbound.
Guidelines for the theotechnical cyberware of the Bright Republic and the enchanted clockwork augmentations of Vissio.
The terrible godwalkers of the Last War and the rules for building and running these titanic humanoid engines of sorcerous war.
The dread Witch-Queens of the Ulstang Skerries and their draugr thralls, both as opponents for your Godbound PCs and examples of how to create major enemies.

The True Strifes, divine martial arts patterned on the primordial conflicts of nature and passion. A half-dozen styles are described for the use of PCs and enemies, with each style trimmed with a premade NPC nemesis for easy campaign use.
Rules for building divine Paradises as citadels and soul-refuges for the Godbound and their worshipers. Defend your heavens against the machinations of your immortal foes!

Themed Godbound, for campaigns and settings that have particular flavors and styles to individual types of Godbound. These rules help you build your own types for your campaign, or use pre-made varieties for heroic paragons of human capability, primordial shapeshifters, refugees from hostile destinies, or elemental scions.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Despite my total disinterest in OSR stuff, Godbound seems to be Actually Good. And mostly freely text-complete.

It's 'OSR' in the sense that it has DnD stats, descending AC, saves, there's HP and HD (but the implementation of these is very different), and there's Fort/Ref/Will saves (but they have different names). Other than that it's pretty much totally it's own thing - the OSR stats are more like a 'compatibility layer' so you can steal a DnD dungeon or monster and shove it into Godbound.

Basically if you're the kind of person who thought that Exalted's setting and ideas sounded cool, and then you actually looked at the rules and how it plays and went "uhhhhh..." then Godbound is worth looking at.

It's not Exalted without having to use powerpoint and a projector to explain the flowcharts to new players :colbert:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:cthulhu: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder :cthulhu:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/sandy-petersens-cthulhu-mythos-for-pathfinder

quote:

Sandy Petersen is the undisputed authority on the Cthulhu Mythos in games as the author of the groundbreaking game Call of CthulhuIncluding:

A bestiary with over 100 entries, almost half never before seen in a Pathfinder book before.
Over 25 Mythos Entities: Creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries I-V now authoritatively revised & updated in this book. Additionally, the original entries as found in the Bestiaries I-V are also included for easy reference and comparison.
Over 50 NEW Mythos Entries: Creatures from the Cthulhu Mythos that have never before been published in any Pathfinder Bestiary.
Over 40 'Unusual Suspects': Creatures that could (and maybe should) be in the Cthulhu Mythos, found in the pages of the current Pathfinder Bestiaries. Some have been updated to reflect our new rules.
Adventures: Plot Hooks and Campaign starters by Sandy Petersen and others.
How to run horror in a heroic sword and sorcery setting by Sandy Petersen., the first game ever to bring HP Lovecraft’s work to the gaming world.

He now proudly presents Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder, by Petersen Games. This is the definitive and ultimate guide to bringing Lovecraft to the high fantasy sword and sorcery worlds played using the Pathfinder rule system.

Your band of heroes can now fight (and maybe even defeat) monstrous horrors and bizarre, inhumanly advanced races in adventures featuring these unique entities, their magics, and the alien technologies accurately portrayed from Lovecraftian works!

Why Pathfinder?

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of thousands of gamers. Since Paizo released the first playtest documents in March of 2008, more than 50,000 gamers have downloaded the rules and posted their feedback, resulting in a year-long open playtest that was the largest in the history of tabletop roleplaying games. Going back to the beginning of the game's third edition, the rules engine that powers the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game have enjoyed more than 15 years of active playtesting and revision.

Some Cthulhu Mythos has already been introduced in Pathfinder, but we plan to bring an authoritative expertise of Lovecraftian Horror to the game. Our goal is that this book will be the ultimate guide to the Cthulhu Mythos for the Pathfinder Role-Playing Game.

Sandy Petersen brought Cthulhu to role-playing games with his groundbreaking game Call of Cthulhu and now wants to bring the Mythos to the high fantasy world of Pathfinder.

We also believe that no game of Pathfinder is complete without great miniatures, and we have plenty to include in this campaign. These miniatures come fully assembled and ready to be played immediately.

Really the draw is the miniatures.

Fully funded already.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I can't wait to be terrified by the new madness system.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

D&D and Pathfinder have been using tentacled whatevers from the realms of madness for literal decades now, Cthulhu was in an old TSR supplement that ran afoul of copyright issues, there was Cthulhu d20 back in the 3E days, I'm absolutely positive there must be plenty of not-Cthulhu stuff in Pathfinder already, I can't even begin to understand how Pathfinder Cthulhu is some weird controversial thing to some people in the year 2016. Newsflash, Sandy Peterson likes money.

The Mythos was enthusiastically embraced by Pathfinder's founders.

The very first adventure path statted a gug and featured Men from Leng as endgame antagonists.

Supplements after that integrated Mythos gods as part of the "Dark Tapestry", Cthulhu affects Pathfinder npcs in their dreams from Earth and I think they put Bokgrung (sp) as physically hanging out somewhere on the continent.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I like the option of having a mini Cthulhu on my desk :colbert:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I really want to like Kult, but I wonder if I'm just nostalgic for it because I heard about it back in the day when AOL was the new hotness and we found out about new RPGs from ad-copy and fanpages. And there's a dark side to that, too--my first exposure to Kult was from fanpages full of homebrew scenarios that were edgy for its own sake.

From PurpleXVI's review of the game in F&F, it seems like there's not a lot of there there, so to speak. A universe full of scary edgy stuff, but nothing for the PCs to latch onto.

Kult is very gnostic. Similar to Mage the Awakening in the vaguest sense but with more Ur-city, cenobites and torture/pain/evil medical procedures fuel magic.

There is enough in the original kult supplements that can be salvaged for other games though. I just bypass the splatter punk 80's edgy poo poo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1669298805/primoris-core-set

This is a project I helped out with that's been about two years in the making. Any support it can get would be greatly appreciated.

Art looks slick as hell.

Edit: missed the discussion. Welp. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Been awhile since I read up on Kult. What was its "hook" that set it apart from the many lesser 90s gnostic-horror games?

That's a real good question. I read Kult later...in the 2000s about. Probably the "gently caress it we are the Satanic Panic" attitude and the Metropolis/Kabalah Angels metaplot.

Btw I highly, highly recommend this fan made Kult sourcebook for Gaia.

http://www.mockman.com/Gaia-Sourcebook.pdf

The author took the idea of Gaia from Legions of Darkness and turned it into multiple terrifying biomes of nature. Great source material for any horror game, Cthulhu, Changeling the Lost or even weird planets for a space horror game.

• Locked thread