Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I just read all of Moynihan's "Forming" comic in like two sittings, and man, that is certainly a comic. It's certainly a pretty comic, and it (and similar stuff) was probably a pretty big influence on Adventure Time even before they hired the guy. Look at the way Pen draws the Ice Kingdom's mountains in the pilot episode, is what I mean.

I re-watched Sons of Mars right after, and it makes much more sense in light of it, because that episode comes from the same mental place that Forming does, but at about 10% power. The whole flying through space in an air cushion without a space-ship thing is done in exactly the same way, the use of historical/mythological characters in redefined roles, the trippy sequences. The grass even looks like it did in the Rhea sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Tollymain posted:

That one bit reminds me of Super Hexagon, why is that the first thought I had?

Because it's a reference to Super Hexagon.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The soul seperates into three seperate souls upon death. One reincarnates into a new body, another stays behind as a ghost, and a third moves to one of the Dead Worlds.

This is how souls reproduce.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
We're going to look back at this episode as a step in the transformation of PB's character, just like the first time Walter White killed someone, then brought him back to life using chemistry on Breaking Bad.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Have we ever seen an airplane in this show in a context other than that one squadron of bombers during the mushroom war?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

MojoKingBee posted:

Welcome to my world.

By the way, if I blatantly miss someone's sarcasm, feel free to point it out as I am terrible at detecting internet sarcasm.

Yeah, sure.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Hey, do we know if there's a hiatus between season 5 and 6?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Bella Noche is a decaying, undead Nommo.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If you aren't following Allegri and Ward on twitter right now you're missing the real "adventure time".

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Yes, which is why it's sometimes called the Lightning-Struck Tower, or the Tower of Babel.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there a GOOD reason for them to be burning through all of these new episodes in one week? Because I sure as poo poo can't think of one.

It's a holiday week, what with Thanksgiving and all, which means children and teens among other demographics in the United States do not have school. Therefore, more of them will be likely to watch these fresh 'sodes.

E: Modern television production relies on advertisers to subsidies the cost of animation. Advertising rates depend on a number of factors, viewership among them. I assume that slots near Thanksgiving and Black Friday, the largest shopping day of the year, command a premium. Scheduling at Cartoon Network decided that putting out a number of episodes of their biggest show right beforehand would be a good idea.

EE: Our modern market economy operates on capitalistic principles. Smash the means of production.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 15, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bown posted:

So yeah remember not very long ago when I was saying how much I love Moynihan?

God dammit I freaking love Moynihan. He doesn't have twitter anymore so I really hope he still reads this thread so he knows I think he's a goddamn genius.

Nah, he's off social media entirely. You should send him, like, an email if you really want him to know that.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Jenx posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

"Carry her everywhere!" I assume.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
He quit social media a few months back, actually. Deleted twitter and such.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

And for the rest of us who don't have the episode handy, care to clue us in?

Lemon Jon, when I googled "Lemon Jon" posted:

Whoa, hold the phone. What is this powerful new juice coursing fromst my core source? Aughhh! The juice aches. Is this the rumored ache of feeling? The feeling of caring unknown to lemons? New thoughts emerge... If I act, the candy people will suffer; if I don't, the lemon people will suffer... The greater good demands but one course only! That I dissolve the bonds uniting me and become component to all!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
We got clarification that Jake's kids stopped aging quickly at the relative age of 30, and his grandkids stopped at 15. Maybe he stops at 60?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Where did we get any info on his grandkids besides that photo?

https://twitter.com/wolfhard/status/571310793687498753

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

XboxPants posted:

The one with the super long hilt there is from some random webcomic the artist of that picture draws. It has a name but I forget what it is.

Necropolis by Jake Wyatt. He also did the Time Temple on Steven Universe. I recognized the idiosyncratic wall greebles before the sword - his stuff is good.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Yeah, I think there were easily half a dozen King City and Multiple Warheads references in this episode. Brandon Graham & Jesse Moynihan wrote it, so anyone trying to figure out a reference should really start with Brandon Graham's own comic universe.

Really, if you like an episode, it's almost worth checking out who storyboarded it. If they're someone with one episode in a newer season, the odds are very good that they make really good indie comics. Dark Purple was done by Adam Muto and Sloane Leong. Sam Alden did half of The Mountain.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Huh. I hadn't thought about it, but the storyboard-driven nature of some of these cartoons make them the perfect medium for bringing in comic talent. That's a really great benefit. Isn't Rick & Morty also board driven?

I think they made a joke about a board-driven show about dogs, but it isn't - it's very much a scripted show. Heck, the TV clip show episode is "driven" by Roiland doing improv. Steven Universe and Regular Show are, though - from what I've read they get an outline that's around a page long, and then flesh it out from there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

AT in the past season or so seems to be explaining the pasts of like all the odd little side characters and every magical element like Ice King's crown or Jake's transformation powers. I still enjoy it a lot, but I dunno if they're explaining too much in what started as a goofy D&D for kids.

Dude, half the fun of goofy D&D for kids is developing weird backstories for stuff, making characters that were funny side-dudes into recurring evil characters.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Season 6 in retrospect revolved around mutual dissatisfaction between creators and their creations.

I've been privately calling this theme "Bad Dads".

If you didn't see a Bad Dad in an episode this last season, it was often (though not universally) about dissatisfaction over an absent Bad Dad.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The status quo didn't totally upend itself, but it wasn't totally static, either - PB's back in charge but she's a more empathic leader, KOO's all gooey, Marcy's got a tiny ghost grandpa on top of her medium ice grandpa. It's almost as though everything stayed right where we left it. But it still changes, ever so slightly.

Daily and nightly.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Seo Kim eps are still easily the worst ones but they're a lot better than they used to be.

Jmoyns' final ep tonight :(

Apparently he's doing more Manly!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

Where? That's awesome.

Instagram

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

We already got that backstory - Stakes, episode 2.

Yeah, but we don't know how they went from Hearty Boat People to hierarchical caste Brave New World guys.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so I dropped off of Adventure time somewhere around the point where Finn's dad had pissed off into space from space jail.

What the hell happened with this comet thing, and the giant lich baby and so on, anyone able to give me a good/quick round up of what the piss is going on. Also, what is going on with Jakes kids, they have kids of their own now?

-Cosmic space god that took Finn's dad on vacation.

-Still a baby has two horns now, that's prob bad.

-yeah

finn has a grass twin, jake is an alien, finn's mom is the subject of a miniseries, show got good again.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
hey why isn't it called the finn-ale.

think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

misadventurous posted:

GOLB appears briefly (and for the first time) when Finn dies of old age in Puhoy and flies through the great beyond. So whatever he is, he typically chills out beyond death and time and reality and all that.

It makes sense for the anti-god of discord and entropy, the end of all things, to show up at the death of a pocket dream universe thing.

I wonder if anyone fused with GOLB before Betty, if his nature changes with a larger cosmic cycle than the 1000-year one that we see.

• Locked thread