Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kedo
Nov 27, 2007

simosimo posted:

I'm looking to start a new game as a nobody. The another life mod looks good. But I feel whenever I try and play this way, it never feels too different to bein dovahkin.

I want to be a little waste of space, smelting crap for poo poo gold and occasionally punching a bandit. What 'gently caress you over' mods do you recommend?

Also, any good ones that makes exploring a little more incentive? I dunno, better random loot for instance. I'd love to scour the map corner to corner, and I don't know why, but I always get a bit bored/crestfallen.

From the posts I read in the last thread, Requiem basically makes the game impossibly difficult. Like, "I just got my rear end handed to me by a mudcrab." Combine that with the left for dead start in Live Another Life, and you'd be well on your way to having a painful waste of space play through.

e: Actually, that could potentially make for a really fun stealth / no combat play though. I'm not sure what Requiem does to stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Attilla posted:

So I am currently doing a run as a khajiit unarmed fighter...

This is also of interest to me. I seem to remember seeing a mod at some point that added a few others unarmed melee moves to the game (kicks, maybe?) but I forget where I saw it and what it was called.

Also some sort of unarmed-friendly ranged attack mod (I wanna throw fuckin' rocks or something!) would be cool.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Viperix posted:

Edit: Unrelated question, are there any mods that let you be more discerning about where you take those Thieves Guild odd-jobs?

Localized Thieves Guild Jobs

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Viperix posted:

Is there a mod to fix/workaround the issue with being unable to favorite two of the same smithed weapon? Along those lines is there a good dual-wield hotkey mod?

Only thing that's every worked for me is to enchant them and give them different names.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Deadly Combat is pretty great and regularly recommended. It definitely does not make it so you can one shot dudes with a cheap bow and arrow unless you play on a low difficulty setting. Master or higher + Deadly Combat is pretty enjoyable. However once you get above level 30 or so and have all sorts of great gear you may need to jack it up to Legendary depending on what type of character you rolled.

For reference, my current character is around level 18 or so and the only dudes he can one shot are the lowest level bandits and wildlife and whatnot. One shotting anyone else requires extremely careful aim, expensive arrows and poison.

Last I heard Duel still had some bugs and issues, but I haven't been paying too close of attention to it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I've gotten that message as well but it's had zero impact on anything.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You know those bags of mammoth cheese?

That isn't cheese.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

khy posted:

God drat I love ENB.

Using Spells Will Give Off Light? That's a great mod. I just wish there was some way to set its lighting independently of the rest of the point lighting in the world... I have ambient lighting almost completely disabled so the only light I see comes from actual light sources. However because of that I had to jack point lighting way up.

Which makes my spells loving blinding. Oh well. :smith:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

i am tim! posted:

So I've picked up an HDMI cord to run my PC to my TV so I can play games like Skyrim from the comfort of my couch with a 360 controller. I'm pretty pleased with how it all looks, but I was wondering if there are any mods that would make this better? IE Anything to better 360 controller support on the PC version, or to make seeing everything from the TV better. I've already boosted the fonts with SkyUI and that's made a world of a difference.

Are you using the most recent version of SkyUI? If so, how well does gear/magic swapping from the favorites menu work with a 360 controller? I'd love to start playing with a controller again on my melee character.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Does SPERG make wards not utterly useless? I tried out a battlemage ages ago using a one handed weapon with an off hand ward for blocking. Worked really well with Better Wards installed, so I'm thinking I might try a similar character this time around.

Deadly Combat is a must from a warding perspective, in my opinion.

quote:

(l) TIMED WARDING
Timed warding: This works very similar to timed blocking, as in that it only works for a short
amount of timed after casting a Ward spell. A well-timed Ward will reflect the spell cast at you back.
It will be fired back to the location of your crosshair, so you can aim where you wish to reflect it.
NPCs will also be able to reflect spells with well-timed Wards.
This option can be disabled in the in-game menu.

I think SPERG might make ward spells cost zero mana unless you're taking damage...? Or maybe it replenishes your mana pool if the ward is being hit by magic? Honestly I can't remember, but I play with a combination of the two and wards actually feel useful.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know, I once tried to run something like this in vanilla and got completely destroyed in like 5 minutes, but since I just finished downloading skyrim (again) and just got SPERG, I think I may give this another try.

I'm still running through recommended mods and installing stuff, but I'll give it a try as soon as I'm happy with my mod loadout.

Speaking of, is there a torrent for TPC? The one linked in the OP is not working.

That sort of play style is very possible, just make sure you spend your initial little bit of gold on conjuration and illusion spells. Fury + Sneak is basically the I Win button for levels 1-10.

Speaking of no armor playthroughs, can anyone recommend some warm-looking clothing mods? I have Immersive Armors of course, but everything that looks warm in there is light or heavy.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Gorgar posted:

Are there decent buffs and debuffs? I've been wanting to play a support character and let followers do the killing, but vanilla doesn't seem really suited for that.

Yeah there are quite a few. There are also some that specifically require a follower of some sort to use, for example there's one that detonates any undead folks you've raised, and another that creates lightning explosions around all your followers.

There are tons of self buffs and enemy debuffs. My favorite early spell is Befuddle, which causes an enemy magic user to flub 1/3 of their spells and daze themselves.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 10, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

So I just downloaded like 100 different files... Is that a good plan? Or is that likely to fail and I should instead be less greedy and install and test the mods one at a time.

It's likely to fail. Some of the mods in the OP are out of date, have finicky install procedures or have been replaced with better alternatives. Installing a slew of mods without testing them out is a good way to spend hours trying to figure out exactly which one is breaking your game.

Scyantific had a great starter list a few pages ago. This should really be added to the OP, because all of these are more or less vital and are unlikely to completely bork your game.

Scyantific posted:

Generally speaking, you'll want to do your first Skyrim run with as few mods as possible, that way you know exactly what you want to change about the game.

My recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Most of these are things that make some of the glaring flaws of the game a bit less harsh (such as getting tossed into the Thieves Guild questline your first time in Riften), or making sure that vital NPCs stay alive during Vampire/Dragon attacks.

As for installing them, you'll want to install Mod Organizer, and install your mods through there. MO has a quick walkthrough the first time you start it up, and there are videos and links on how to use it and other mods in the OP.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Okay thanks. I think my list includes all those except one or two. Is it safe to start with that whole list or is even that risky? Of course if it doesn't work I can always go back and enable them one by one.

That list seems pretty safe (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). Just make sure you put the unofficial patches in the right spot in your load order, and of course install SKSE.

If I were to whittle the list down to absolute essentials, it'd be:

-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

After playing with that for awhile, a logical next step would be to grab some visual mods if you have a pretty good video card. ENB and a few high res textures will go a long way.

e: You know what, I might even suggest SPERG on a first play through if that's what you're doing. You won't appreciate how great it is without playing vanilla, but it's really good.

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 13, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The main quest line is worth playing up to but not necessarily including the final leg where you travel to Sovngarde to kill Alduin. Actually completing the main quest is kind of a let down, but all the rewards you receive prior to the final battle are totally worth the effort. I sort of steamrolled through the main quest on my very first play through, but on subsequent characters I tend to rush through the first batch to get Unrelenting Force fully unlocked, then I only do those quests if I happen to be in the right area.

I forget – is there a mod that lets you skip the unlocking stages for Unrelenting Force? I feel like I've asked this before and that the answer might have been, "no, just noclip through it," but I can't recall.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there a crash dump file I could look at to see what is causing it?

There is if you have enabled Papyrus logging. Don't leave it running forever, though, because if you have a ton of mods it's probably going to generate a massive log file.

e: But agreed with scamtank, that sounds like it might be memory related.

e2:

Strategic Tea posted:

If I pick any start remotely connected to a city, using the bed just sets me back in the prison cell. With Tullius, Ulfric, Hadvar and Ralof, who immediately go at each other :psyduck:. I've been removing recent mods but it doesn't seem to help.

This sounds awesome.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Uh, does anyone know why Bandit Plunderers are spawning when my character is only level 4? It's mathematically impossible for me to beat mobs intended for level 20+ characters. I'm not using anything that tampers with the level lists, so :psyduck:

What's your difficulty setting? I had a Dragur Deathlord spawn at the end of Bleak Falls Barrow when I was around level 5 on Legendary. :smithicide:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dongicus posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mod...review%3D&pUp=1

Looking forward to seeing this crash and burn!

:psyduck: These screenshots look like someone gave MC Escher the creation kit.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DSauer posted:

I've installed Duel - Combat Realism and it honestly doesn't seem like this mod does anything. I found a critique about version 5 of this mod that pans it pretty hard and I'm thinking that the current version, which the author calls "hardcore" also doesn't do most of the things it advertises.

Probably going to have to live with Skyrim's melee combat being relatively uninteresting.

Duel - Combat Realism has been panned by a lot of folks in this thread. Try Deadly Combat. Neither will drastically change the core of combat, but I have definitely noticed differences with Deadly. NPCs will shield bash, roll around and flee to heal more often.

Also you could look at ASIS if you haven't already which'll allow enemies to use perks, spells from any mods you've installed, potions and whatnot. It takes a little more effort than most mods to install, but it can be fun once you get it working.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

radlum posted:

I saw an Overhaul at Nexus, but the description made it sound buggy and the guy made it came off as a bit of a jerk about it. Is it any good?

No. While some of what it does is a okay, the rest is exceedingly unbalanced, somewhat nonsensical (giants in city sieges :confused:) and ultimately it'll really screw up your save.

It's fun to mess around with for an afternoon, but it's not a mod to have in your load order forevermore. It's really too bad, because a lot of the stuff it tries to fix would have been great in vanilla.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried Civil War Overhaul? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37216/ It looks really loving good, but does anyone here have a trip report?

A bunch of goons including myself have tried it, and I think the general consensus is that it has some nice features but is horribly buggy, requires console commands to fix many events, and also has some idiotic and unbalanced features (eg. giants during sieges :confused:). It will most likely break your save, so if you'd like to experiment make sure you keep a backup. It's not main save material.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Noni posted:

Is there a mod that scales up destruction? It's just silly that it takes 50 fire hits to kill a guy while I can take him out with a single arrow to the crotch.

You want Better Magic.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Quift posted:

(win8)
I can ctrl-alt-delete, and open the task manager, but the desktop is only responsive above the bottom bar (taskbar?), so I can choose it, but the mouse disappears when I move it up.

I have this same issue on Windows 7, once the task manager is open alt tabbing away from it and then back to it generally fixes the problem.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

wjs5 posted:

Is there a working Co-op mod out? I checked the op but might have missed it if it was listed.

Sort of. It's super buggy and the main developer dropped off the face of the planet, so it's unlikely it'll ever get to a place where it's actually usable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Xik posted:

That's really not the sort of mod you "accidentally" install as a prerequisite or one you simply forget about.

I don't know, guy. Computer sex is pretty awesome so I guess that's just your opinion okay. :colbert:

I just installed Hunterborn and Immersive Armors 7 and now I'm crashing right after the Bethesda logo. Uninstalled IA7, reinstalled 6 and now it's running fine. What would be a common cause of this?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Rather Dashing posted:

So, is there any reliable way of killing a looping sound effect from a long-gone spell? A quick google only suggests that I load a previous save, which would be before a pain of a boss fight :(

Did you try quicksaving and reloading? This often fixes that issue for me.

Mage Ham posted:

Sounds like a missing-master crash- you get the Bethesda logo, a couple drumbeats, then crash to desktop, right?

Assuming you're using MO, check your right pane for unchecked .esms.
If that doesn't work, try running Tesvedit as an executable via MO- the initial check of your load order it does also turns up missing master files.

Hrrrmmm, yeah that's what I was seeing. I'll have to check that tonight.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

With Realistic Needs and Diseases my drink from stream hotkey does nothing. Similarly the power just makes the fizzle noise and gives no messages, and bottles juts pop right back into my inventory as empty. I'll be standing chest deep in some water trying this... Is this a bug or am I messing something up?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

Did you activate the mod in the mod menu? You need to click on a button in the top right corner.

Oh, yes. I should mention everything else in the mod works just fine. It's only water I have an issue with. Not running any mods that modify water at all either.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Did you hold the drink hotkey while clicking the bottles in your inventory?

Never thought of that... I'll give that a shot tonight.

Dongattack posted:

Do you have any of the water mods installed? Such as Pure Waters or W.A.T.E.R. You have to tick the compability patch in that case, vice versa if you ticked one of the patches without having one of those mods installed could also produce that bug.

I'm like 99% sure no, but now that I'm at work and can't look at my load order I feel like I might have Pure Waters installed. I'll look into it.

Thanks much folks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

I made a thing. Simple mod, adds two hotkeys for trading with followers, telling the to wait/follow and putting them into the 'command' mode.

I love you. I've been searching for a mod that would provide a hotkey for follower command mode for a long, long time.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ughhhh posted:

I have immersive armor and jaysus swords, and i just found out that i have no option to make charcoal. Could this be due to conflicting mods or load order?

getting back into Skyrim with mods, i don't know where i would be without the help from this thread.

Pretty sure you have to just find charcoal unless you install another mod. Lots of general merchants sell charcoal, and you can find it everywhere in wardrobes and desks and whatnot. One trip through a bandit fort and you'll have enough for a long time.

I think a couple of the survival mods include it as a crafting item, but for the life of me I can't remember which ones do.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Scyantific posted:

aMidianBorn Imperial Light Armors

Dude says he's planning on releasing the Penitus Oculatus and Imperial Heavy Armor next.

God drat CaBaL and his insatiable desire to use up every last mb of my VRAM and make my game take fifty years to load.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sylink posted:

I've reinstalled everything and I want to use ASIS, which I have before, but for some reason its not adding any extra spawns.

I set the spawn increases to basically guarantee 1 or 2 extra spawns and it installed/ran it via Mod Organizer but in game gently caress all happens.

I had this working before and there wasn't a problem at all. I would get packs of like 6-7 wolves and huge groups of bandits.

Is there a trick I'm missin ghere?

Have you tried fast traveling around? If you load into a previously loaded cell where stuff has already spawned I don't believe ASIS will have any effect.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So its the time of year for my annual Skyrim binge and I realized that I've never played a pure melee character. All of my previous characters have used at least bits and pieces of magic, but this time around I think I'm going for a orc brain-beater. Maybe with alchemy tacked on so I can at least make potions (I mean, alchemy isn't really magic, right?)

Any recommended mods? The stuff I'm running at the moment that would apply here are Immersive Armors/Weapons and Deadly Combat. Anything that would be good for an orc playthrough would be cool, not sure what exists.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations!

Praetorian Mage posted:

SPERG also has a perk that gives you a second version of your racial power that you can use every 6 in-game hours. That's about 18 minutes real time. Together with the original version of the power, you could be berserker raging all over the place. And you can take it right at the start of the game.

This may or may not have already been the plan :black101:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

what's a good mod that buffs magic without being overpowered? I used to Balanced Magic but that seems really outdated by this point so I don't know about it

Balanced Magic still works pretty well as long as you're using vanilla spells imo. However if you start using Midas or Apocalypse some of the spells become hilariously OP (at least in my experience... maybe they're just OP naturally).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

OSheaman posted:

So I want to re-roll a new character who is extremely crafting-centric (Smithing, Alchemy, Enchanting). Obviously with vanilla Skyrim that's a death sentence for your char unless you also have some good combat skills and don't over level the crafting, but can this be made viable with mods? I have SPERG already but anything that a) makes it easier to play a crafting/non-combat-focused character and b) makes crafting more fun/rewarding would be appreciated.

Why not just get a good follower mod and find a few followers who can do all the killing for you? They'd benefit from your crafting and you'd be able to keep your hands clean, so to speak, and it'd make crafting more rewarding because you could play Barbie dress-up with multiple characters instead of one.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Pro Dragonborns run with a posse of scantily clad waifus with soulless eyes, if nexus is to be believed.

Well someone has to craft those Ebony Nighties and Daedric G-Strings.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

OSheaman posted:

Hey, one other thing: I'm getting the brawl bug (brawls cause bounties/can't finish fights) and I'm not sure what mod is doing it. Any ideas?

I have a similar load order to this and can't brawl and it's driving me crazy. SPERG brawl mode and/or the brawl bug patch don't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Morter posted:

Are there any mods that make summoning fun/viable as a main defense? Even if it unbalances the game, it's fine.

Get apocalypse or some other spell mod that gives you more beasties to summon at the very least. I found that + ample use of Illusion spells a great minion/puppet master build.

E: additionally Apocalypse has a bunch of spells that act on minions, such as causing them to explode, giving you a defense boost while active, etc.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2015

• Locked thread