Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Inverness posted:

I'd be pretty satisfied with a Bag of Infinite Holding. Maybe I should search for a mod for that. Perhaps there is one that isn't a buggy piece of trash.

With Convenient Horses your Horse basically becomes this. You can even set it up such that you can just draw from it anywhere with the touch of a hotkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Morgoth posted:

I'm getting mixed messages here, from the OP: "Many goons have given this a shot so far and loved it. Existing characters can be used just fine, so there's no need to wait (make a backup save first, like you should when installing any mod)."

Erring on the side of caution here, can someone clarify wether or not I should use a new save after installing SPERG?

That's if you were updating from an older version of SPERG. If your character is vanilla right now you should be fine.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Inverness posted:

Yes, discovering the fortification perk for Alchemy that actually makes leather and fur armor useful is magical experience for me. How useful is this for armor at higher levels of both alchemy and light armor skills?

This is also the first game that I've really tried using alchemy and it seems to level up rather slowly. :ohdear:

SPERGs uncapper ini actually slows Alchemy leveling by 10% by default since most people find it levels way too fast apparently (I find Alchemy in Skyrim to be too much of a pain to bother with personally). You can bump it up in the ini if you want.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Fenrax posted:

Has anyone tried using Werewolf Mastery's compatibility patch for Moonlight Tales? No matter what I've tried the compatibility patch never seems to work and always ends up breaking the beat form completely. When I try to bring up the werewolf menu by sheathing and then pressing the shout/power key in beast form it either makes me roar or makes it so I can't roar, attack, or feed.

Did you follow the instructions on the Moonlight Tales page properly?

Moonlight Tales Nexus Page posted:

MT + WM Installation Guide
Step 1: Download and install the file 'Moonlight Tales Main 2_05' on this mod page via Nexus Mod Manager.
Step 2: Visit: Werewolf Mastery by RolandSir
Step 3: Download and install the file 'Werewolf_Mastery_v3_0_and_Moonlight_Tales_v2_05_Compatibility_version' via Nexus Mod Manager.
Step 4: Click yes on all overwrite attempts.
Step 5: Inside the Nexus Mod Manager make sure that my ESP file is not loaded!
This is important because the two mods are now merged into WerewolfMastery.esp! This is how it should look like in the Manager:

Step 6: You are now done, enjoy and consider endorsing both mods if you appreciate our project.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What a hell of a way to ruin a perfectly good mod. Are there any other good horse mods?

The author listed a set of console commands that let you skip that bit on the mod's description.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Wolvorine posted:

Okay guys, I just started playing Skyrim so if this is something simply or already covered somewhere I didn't see it, sorry about that.

Anyway, I'm wanting to start a second game with another type of character, but I don't know how to do that without the saves overwriting the saves for my first character. In FONV CASM did that wonderfully by letting you select from like 5 different save profiles, but I haven't found a save mod for Skyrim with that feature. Is there any way I can do this, and if so, how?

Danke muchly.

If you're running the game through MO you can create a second profile, which lets you have separate save directories, ini files (game and visual settings), and even different mod lists that you can hop between easily.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Viperix posted:

More SPERG questions. The description mentions "Alternate skills gains", are there any others, other than from random quests? And are those random, or are they specific to each quest? Also, each magic skill has a perk that says "New spell tomes may be found on appropriate merchants." what does that even mean?

Food can either giving you permanent bonuses to max Health/Magicka/Stamina, or raise Alchemy depending on your configuration. there's also the Armor skills leveling by running in them. I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of.

The spell tomes thing actually goes back to vanilla behavior. In the vanilla game, some spells, especially higher level ones, require that the player have a certain amount of skill before shops will carry them or they can be found in dungeons. These skill requirements just happen to coincide with the auto-perks.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Aren't the unoffical patches from the guy who decided to put an oblivion gate int he middle of Whiterun's capitol?

VVV Am I going to run into the Oblivion Gate with the ones int he OP?

Arthmoor seems to be approaching the unofficial patches with a lot more professionalism and understanding. Mainly of the fact that they aren't ~HIS FANFICTION~, but rather a supplement to ensure the game runs as correctly and as according to Bethesda's intention as possible.

Now I wouldn't say the unofficial patches are strictly necessary, but at the same they do absolutely no harm and there's no reason not use them if you're playing on PC at all.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Suddenly I can't play Skyrim anymore. Everytime I try to play it crashes within 30 minutes with a Visual C++ 2010 error (r6025). I've tried running without mods on a new savefile. I've tried reinstalling Visual C++, I've tried verifying and reinstalling the game. No matter what the error persists. Anyone have any clue what might cause this?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

If I don't like having every character I play spec in lockpicking, what are good mods that give alternative options? Last I remember Lock Overhaul was buggy and caused save bloat, is that still the case? Is there something better now?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Scyantific posted:

SPERG has a perk for Lockpicking that allows you to bash locks open.

And I can't remember the last time I didn't have SPERG installed. Shows how often I look at the lockpicking tree. :downs:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

i am tim! posted:

So I've picked up an HDMI cord to run my PC to my TV so I can play games like Skyrim from the comfort of my couch with a 360 controller. I'm pretty pleased with how it all looks, but I was wondering if there are any mods that would make this better? IE Anything to better 360 controller support on the PC version, or to make seeing everything from the TV better. I've already boosted the fonts with SkyUI and that's made a world of a difference.

Better 360 controller is what I use when I feel like playing with a controller. You have to go into the control options and manually reset everything to defaults to make it work but I find it to be quite solid.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Torka posted:

Is there a mod to improve this lovely-looking wood in the inn firepits?

I've tried all the popular fire mods like Better Embers, Realistic Smoke and Embers, Cinematic Fire Effects etc. etc. They just make the fire effect look better, what I'm looking for is an improvement to the wood so it isn't just a pile of perfect cylinders with a glow texture.

Looks like you're using Bethesda's HD DLC without using the unofficial Hi-Res patch.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

So what are some mods that make Alchemy more fun? I loved abusing the hell out of alchemy in Oblivion but Skyrim's seems to come down to trial and error or Alt-Tab to a spreadsheet every 5 seconds which got me to ignoring it. Has to be comptible with SPERG's alchemy tree because losing auto-perks is a no no for me.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Hey Seo, if I'm a Nord with the SPERG Alteration perk that doubles the power of my racial (fifty percent frost resistant in this case) does it make me immune to frost entirely? I don't understand how it would work.

I would assume, like if done with enchantments, your Frost resistance just goes to the cap, which unmodded is 85%.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Im_Special posted:

I actually just tried that earlier but then BOSS said it needed cleaning with TES5Edit, I didn't know how to clean the thing so I gave up. I followed this to clean the official files, but this part was easy as it laid out exactly what and how to select them, I wasn't clear on what to select in order to clean Dance of Death though.
http://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit#Section_2:_Mod_Cleaning_Instructions

By and large if you right-click->Select None, then just check the esp that needs cleaning, the rest will pick up itself. Very rarely are there masters for a mod that the mod itself isn't fully aware of, and those are usually compatibility patches and whatnot.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So I'm trying to install SkyUI, and it keeps flipping out and telling me I don't have the Skyrim Extender scripts installed, even after I reinstalled the entire extender several times. I ignored it and installed anyway, and it seems to work alright for now, but will this bite me in the rear end later?

If you're installing via MO then it can't detect SKES no matter what. I'd say you're fine.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Raw skill does affect damage, armor, spell costs, and what not. It's not as much of an effect as what the perks do but it is there.

Armor reduces physical damage taken by a percentage. I think it's 0.12% per point of armor rating, but there's some hidden mechanics. I think it's 25 hidden points of armor rating per piece of body armor you're wearing.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 7, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

So I installed Mod Organizer, SKSE, and when I launch Skyrim it launches in windowed mode. Alt+Enter doesn't maximize or fullscreen Skyrim. If I launch with the vanilla launcher it works fine. Anyone else experienced this?

MO uses separate inis. Copy the inis from your Documents/my games/skyrim folder to the profile folder in MO. Or add the vanilla launcher to MO and reset all your video settings.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

As much as I would like that, I doubt it'll ever happen justbecause that would probably require changes to the core engine.

I'm not sure why you think this is Dark souls lite combat, it's quite clearly an FPS with swords. Melee weapons are just short range hitscan guns mechanically.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

Could someone explain to me how to tweak the SPERG ini file to slightly slow down rate at which skill points are gained? I'm assuming it's under the headings of 'PCLevelSkillExpMults' but I can't quite understand what the descriptions are getting at.

Actually you want to change the numbers under 'SkillExpGainMults'. That other one is for how much a skill point influences your overall level.

a kitten posted:

is there any particular order or time that it's best to do the DLC quests

Not really. Dawnguard can be approached whenever you feel like it really, though Dragonborn's content can be pretty tough at lower levels. I think a couple lines in Dragonborn also change if you've completed the main quest first.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

What werewolf and vampire modifications would you guys suggest? I'm using Deadly Combat and currently, werewolf especially, I don't feel as powerful as either of those forms would really suggest!

For vampires, Better Vampires

For werewolves, Moonlight Tales with the recommended mods listed on that page.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Im_Special posted:

Any mods that allow for the control of time, I want to become an omniscient all powerful god, okay not really but I hate dungeon crawling during the day then coming out at night and having all the cities all locked up with people sleeping and stuff. A console command or a mod that would let me switch between day/night cycles at will would be great.

There's a wait button in the vanilla game for exactly this.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

grrarg posted:

Moving Skyrim out of Program Files is a Mod Organizer thing.

Actually it's more a mod manager thing. NMM, Boss, and Bash all don't like that because they have to fight with UAC to get mods into place. It's good practice to install anything where you'll be directly adding to or changing the core files outside of Program Files and other UAC protected directories.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

I have a problem thought where interior waters will do this constant flicker back and forth, from normal looking to something that looks like the gamma was cranked up. No idea whats causing it, any ideas?

I had an issue at one time where the water pretty much everywhere looked like the texture was "doubling" and flickering as you described. Turns out it was a driver issue and clean uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them fixed the problem.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So I'm pretty terrible at this poo poo, and this in particular is news to me. Can I just shift steam and everything in it to a new directory outside of program files? Would it require reinstalling all that poo poo, or could I just verify game caches or whatever?

Steam Support has you covered.

Ernie Muppari posted:

You can put Steam somewhere else (though you would have to reinstall/re-download some things unless you're up for dealing with piles of broken shortcuts and references), but IIRC Steam is supposed to edit permissions for everything so that you don't have to worry about anything needing admin privileges to change anything in the Steam folder. "Install programs outside of Program Files" is really more of a guideline for the future, unless you're already planning to reinstall things then just remembering that any program that needs to modify stuff in Program Files is very likely to need to be "Run as Administrator" (even if your user account is the admin account) to work correctly should get you through a lot of "program X doesn't work" problems you might have in Windows.

That's only for stuff that Steam installs, doesn't really fly with user generated mods and mod managers.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Those people definitely shouldn't be using it, but yeah more RTFM would be nice.

Maybe this sounds harsh, but I don't think those people should be PC gaming let alone modding. Basic googling, and general jury rigging is pretty much a necessity just to run Windows.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Do purple items mean missing textures or a lack of VRAM? I'm asking because all the Skyforge Steel weaponry stuff that the Companions use is purple but I can't think of anything that I have that would be telling Skyforge stuff to use invalid textures. I'm using the Hires DLC and Optimized Hires DLC pack thing.

Are you using the aMidianBorn Book of Silence pack? AFAIK that mod replaced the meshes for all the Skyforge stuff but some of them were missing textures so you need to download a hotfix. Beyond that, I can't think of anything that would touch that equipment.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Mortimer posted:

And how does it interact with Elys Uncapper values?

It stacks multipliactively IIRC. SkyTweak's numbers will stack additively with effects in the game that affect the leveling rate, like the standing stones or the rested effects.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Quift posted:

What mod do you use to make that kahjit look so f*kin' bad rear end with the huge teeth et al.

Khajiit Vampire. Just add RaceMenu so the skin doesn't get replaced on transformation.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

TheSpookyDanger posted:

So i've decided to bite the bullet and get into Mod Organizer and I think i've got it mostly right, except that I am getting a message saying that there are potential problems with my set up (the red exclamation mark in the triangle in the upper right-hand corner). Checking into that, i'm provided with about seven or eight mods to rearrange (e.g. "Move Unofficial Skyrim Patch before Unofficial Hearthfire Patch"), only all of the mods are in the order that MO suggests already. Does the load order not correspond to the priority in the right hand pane?

Corresponds to both. Basically the mods in the left pane get loaded into the virtual data folder in that order so if a texture is replaced by Mod A and Mod B, and Mod A is after Mod B in the left pane, then it's A's texture that the game sees.

To simplify it a little more, the right pane is the ESP/ESM load order. The left pane is the load order for every other file type mods can use.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I.. what? That has nothing to do with the question I asked. Fresh run, not an old save. I can't smelt higher end metals like Steel, Quicksilver, Corundum, Malachite, Ebony, etc. Don't know why.

Do you have the perks needed to do this?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Don't install in program files.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Ugh, Climates of Tamriel is ideal for me but the nights are too dark so I tried using an ENB mod so I could control the night darkness but I hosed up and now my skyrim folder is a mess.

I'm just busy reinstalling stuff but can anyone advise whether I need toe ven use ENB to adjust night-time darkness with CoT?

If you use the level 1 brightness in CoT you get vanilla night brightness.

On that note, is there a way to get actually dark nights without destroying all effect that light sources have like CoT does?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a mod out there that adds a tackle-like effect to Whirlwind Sprint? After playing Bioshock Infinite and starting a replay of Mass effect I want more supertackling in my games.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

YellerBill posted:

What are some suggestions for good mods to overhaul being a werewolf into something more than "turn into the Incredible Hulk once a day"? I've been poking around a little but haven't seen any that really grabbed me yet.

Moonlight Tales for overhaul of the transformation/infection system (also werebears if you so care).
Bloodmoon Rising for overhaul of the Dawnguard added perk tree

Optionally Werewolf Mastery for further power tweaks, on the fly howl switching (IIRC), and on-command reversion. (Make sure to read the Moonlight Tales page for instructions on how to make WM and MT play nice)

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

basically Biotic Charge in Skyrim.

Yes. Downloaded, thank you.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

What's the go to mod for non-map fast travel? I'm trying not to fast travel using the map this playthrough but the lack of carriages in minor holds among other things are annoying me.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Bluhman posted:

I've been really enjoying SPERG lately; my second run through the game involves me using a berserker/assassin that murders people by sniping with crossbow and charging in with claymore. But there's been a couple of things eating at me about the mod and how it works:

1. Legendary skills. I've had Two-Handed, Light Armor, and Sneak sitting at 100 for now. From what little vague things I could google about SPERG, people say that going legendary breaks how the SPERG mod works - which I would be inclined to agree, given how auto-leveled perks work here. Can I just get a confirmation?

2. The Pickpocket skill tree has been tempting me for ages. I almost want to run a new character that uses no equipment with that tree. However, what bothers me about it is if I'll be forced to actually... Well, pickpocket, to become a master monk. Does SPERG make it so that it's also possible to level pickpocketing by punching peoples' lights out?

1. There's an MCM option that makes SPERG Legendary-aware. Assuming it's checked (which it should be by default) then when you make a skill Legendary you'll see perks points flash up a certain number for a second but correct itself to the value it's supposed to be (that is, subtracting the auto-perks).

2. Punching people does give pickpocket EXP but in my experience it's not a lot. Maybe it's because it's killing things so fast since I'm playing a Khajiit right now.

Semi-related note. Is anyone else who's using SPERG having an issue with the Steady Hand perk? It's weird because when I try to use it suddenly I can't zoom anymore or aim left or right. I still get time slowed and stamina drain though. Also it seems to take >30 seconds for the effect to wear off when I release the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

Serious question: can you only recruit certain people to watch over your hearthfire estate? I took a follower onto the property but nothing is popping up in the dialogue options.

Yup.

• Locked thread