Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Can you add a douse bonus to units without any blood skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barono
May 6, 2007

TheDemon posted:

I was thinking just upping the chaosrec to approach the difference between O3 and T3.

I mean, Yomi has absolutely zero reason to take Prod anyway.

Definitely worth doing a little bit on the bigger oni, but remember there is a 240 point difference between O3 and T3 so they shouldn't really be comparable. Someone did mention giving the nation the spreadschaos tag. That way they'll spread chaos like Niefelheim spreads cold, which will be functionally similar as Niefel jarls fight like rear end in heat. Plus I also like obnoxious dominion/nation effects that aren't game changers like pop kill.

Barono
May 6, 2007

jBrereton posted:

I dunno, quite a lot of nations have this.

Caelum has its Adorable Ones, Man has various Death summons, Bandar Log has all kinds of interesting summons it doesn't have access to outside of heroes or their pretender, and so on.

Yomi, and that whole tree, in fact, has really decent access to mages that bootstrap to progressively higher path levels. Anything Conj-5+ is very likely to get you some nice mages, and basically any of their unit summons are worth a go as well.

Thematically I think the Yomi summons are more affiliated with Shinuyama/Jomon but all the various tengu/monsters are living in the neighborhoood so can be summoned in any age.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Dai Oni are a very good chassis for thug SC duty, they just *need* equipment and some buffs. I think the main draw of Niefelheim is that with a strong bless like N9E9 a jarl can solo provinces with no research and no equipment as long as it isn't barbarians or hot.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Using gems for general battlefield use is something the AI does that regular players should at least consider doing more often. Sure it can be expensive, but being able to blast out twice as many spells because you're at half fatigue can well be worth a couple of gems.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are you gonna do an updated version of your balance mod? The concept sounded really cool, but by the time I was done playing AwesomeMods games my circle of Dom3 players had gotten bored with the game.

Yes, Dominions Enhanced was pretty sweet. I was actually excited about playing MA Agartha, and they stayed in theme! I do think they were moderately OP though.

Barono
May 6, 2007

By far the best item to give an assassin is a skull talisman. const 0, and lets him summon an endless stream of skeletons. This will pretty much guarantee a win unless you die before your first action, or if they summon bigger/better stuff before they fatigue out.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I was going to post here about getting GGS approval, but looks like someone already gave it. You guys are fast.

So I'll ask this instead: Besides MA Ermor and Lemuria, is there really anyone worth 2 or more death scales on? It kind of seems like a bad idea for pretty much everyone to me.

If you want to ride the luck train death has some great lucky events, where growth is rather lackluster. Also if your mages aren't old and you can rapidly expand.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

What how, did the bane lords drown :iiam:

It's the river Styx, they're swept back to the underworld where they belong.

Barono
May 6, 2007

The best siege trick is to play a nation with stealthy troops, and set it up so that when they storm there's a surprise army waiting. Also, you can sneak out and in at your leisure to raid around.

Barono
May 6, 2007

nothing to seehere posted:

You can defend the same province, but you will defend sequentially. You cannot see or use each others labs.

Also important is that you can't hide in your allies fort.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Speleothing posted:

It just means that the item is unremovable. The only item that applies curses to the user is the Knife of the Damned, which "curses everyone it touches."

Unfortunately, giving a unit a cursed item binds it to that unit as soon as you do so, so either be ready to quit and restart your turn, or be super-sure about to whom you're handing the magic eyes. Horror Marks aren't applied by items until they've been in possession for a turn, so you can pick and choose who is holding your Lightless Lanterns.

Don't forget the Gift of Kurgi!

Barono
May 6, 2007

Barbarians only ever attack with misfortune I think, with each level of misfortune bigger attacks are unlocked. I also think most of the other attacks don't require misfortune.

Barono
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

No? They're Con 2, 15 gems Earth 3, but they only provide a fixed 2 gem discount.

Total, not per path.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Black hawks have a siege attack penalty, but I *think* they don't have a siege defense penalty, which means if you're under siege casting that a couple of times will be a big pain for your opponent.

Barono
May 6, 2007

New mod available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jpjt7ny969kj0o/LAPyth.dm

I think LA Pythium is pretty lovely as things currently stand, so this is my attempt to rectify it. Please feel free to appropriate all or part of it into another mod. This is a work in progress, so please provide feedback!

There is work to be done yet, I'll detail my plan after I list what I've done so far.

Changelog:
Due to cold blooded units made heat preference 1.

All the mystery cultists have been improved in some way.
Leo: F1 with a 20% FSN pick. Given innate fire shield and a fire brand as a gift from his god.
Heliodromus: F2 with a 20% FSN pick.

Epoptes: N1E1 with a 20% EN pick.
Mystes: N1 with a 20% EN pick. Research penalty removed as they don't spend time evangelizing.

Reveler: N1 with a 20% B pick. Stealthy!

I've also boosted a couple of regular commanders
Serpent Priest: given an extra D path.
Serpent Assassin: made non cap only, and is now a H1 priest.
Serpent Acolyte: given a 100% WSND pick, to mirror other state priests.
Theurg: now A1S1 100%AWS

New national spell, summon sacred horned serpents. Just like the lovely conj 2 summon, except they're sacred. This may be questionable

TODO:
recruit as many hydras as you can afford.
Make sacred fire snake summon, and sacred lamias, both of these also questionable!
Add high level Conj/blood summons to get the Solar Bull, Great Mother, King Reveler or whatever he should be called.

Barono
May 6, 2007

jBrereton posted:

My main feedback is that you hosed up somewhere on the recruitment table, because you can't recruit Serpent Assassins at all now.

They're also not Heat Preference 1, and the mod coding is all squashed together so it's impossible to see what else is wrong.

Some of it's working, though, and your goal is a noble one, so all the best with it!

Son of a bitch, pretty sure that is a version control issue. I'll fix that this evening.

Barono
May 6, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Not sure what it is, but it's easy to fix.

Made a version with clearer scripting, exact same changes, also made no reclimit Hydras, sorted out the Leo (had no F1) and Serpent Assassin guy - http://www.mediafire.com/view/7o4xf7gdeg5fike/LAPyth-Clarity.dm

One other thing I might change for Pythium if you want to improve them would be giving their Centurion a poison-resistant #prophetshape. Maybe give him a hydra-shaped hat or something to go with, I dunno.

Yeah, when I said version control, I meant that I had two versions of it, the broken one I posted, and the fixed one in a different place :P

That being said, I'll definitely fix everything else you added.

Another change I made is giving the starting army the fancy commander. I figure you'll never actually pay for one, so might as well get one for free.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

So when you said version control you in fact meant version neglect.

That's a subset of version control issues!

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

It'd be neat if nations started off with a unique powerful hero commander instead of some generic guy and a scout.

I think TheDemon was planning that for his big mod, but doing it for one kinda means doing it for all in the era.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah thinking about it, my guys did seem to have (even) better morale than normal. That explains it. Good changes, by the way.

Thanks! I still don't know if the sacred summons are overpowered but I'm reasonably happy with everything else.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the mystery cult god summons. Probably try to make them summonable by one of their followers with good picks and some boosters and *maybe* an empowerment or two. Probably shoot for desirable, without being awesomemod desirable.

For the Solar Bull I was thinking just copying the big bull pretender and giving it some quantity of FSN magic and heretic 5. Probably something more exciting I could do here.

Same deal with the great mother, except EN magic.

Don't know what to do with the reveler yet, or even whether to put him in conjuration or blood. Maybe summon a bunch of satyrs and maenads every turn. Probably cause a lot of turmoil.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

Have the Solar Bull autocast that battle spell that blinds dudes. Solar Brilliance or whatever.

A good idea, although I think heat from hell may be better. Provides some synergy with his followers who all have some fire resistance.

Could also have him raise order (militaristic) and heat in his province, the mother raise growth, and the reveler turmoil and sloth.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Diabl0658 posted:

turmoil luck needs to be combined with other scales that unlock the gold/gem events. Magic 3 is a great scale to take with turmoil luck for example. Production and growth also have some gold events.

Magic has the best events by far. I don't think there really are any associated with production, or at least weren't a while back, and growth doesn't have anything too exciting, unless it's paired with magic.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Is there any list of what events are associated with what scales, even an incomplete one? I follow the Kitfox Doctrine so I always ramp up the gold-producing scales, but I never touch the Luck scale and only take Magic or Drain in fringe cases (e.g, Jotunheim benefits enormously from a high magic scale, and vice-versa for Ulm). It'd be nice to know what I"m missing out on.

Alternately, what are some of the good events you've seen with high magic?

There is, but my link to it is evidently dead. Sorry!

Neruz posted:

High magic results in more +random gems events and events where a random mage and drn followers with some path-appropriate items and gems shows up, it also increases the liklihood you'll find a dead dragon and recieve a bunch of gold, gems and items. Magic 3 also unlocks very very rare random horror attacks on astral mages and faery courts.

Order 3 unlocks a whole bunch of +province defence and +fort events as well as a number of +free troops (usually militia).

Growth 3 unlocks a number of +province income and +pop events, it also unlocks a +Earth Gnome event.

Death 3 unlocks some "A noble has died and left you all his things +gold\gems\items" events and combined with magic a number of undead uprisings, some of which may or may not be friendly.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

You don't need order 3 for the order gold events, 1 unlocks most of them, and a free fort event, but there are some others at higher tiers.

I recall a grand total of one event tied to production/sloth, which was good but rare and not that special.

growth/death is a weird one. They *both* have some positive and negative stuff tied to them. The best events also require magic. I'm not sure the noble dying is tied to death 3, think it's any amount of death. One of the worst events in the game is tied to growth 3, which is having an ancient presence kill 95% of the population and attack the province with some rude dudes.

heat/cold also both have good and bad things, but heat is much worse as you can get the lab burns down event, which can totally gently caress you sometimes.

So the take home message is if you're going to take luck, take magic. It also has benefits with both order and turmoil, but better on the order side. Prod/sloth doesn't matter. Cold is better than heat, but whatever floats your nation's boat. Death/growth are both fine with luck, but the best of both is tied to magic.

Barono
May 6, 2007

It's usually not too big of a deal, but is worth noting that a teleporting unit will always go inside of a besieged fort, there's no way to make them attack the sieging armor through magic movement.

Barono
May 6, 2007

akulanization posted:

Man, luck 3 magic 3 has some pretty cool events. Got a Circle Master and 4 of his b1d1 buddies with some death gems and blood slaves. That's basically enough to start up a dive into blood on its own.

Absolutely this, the best good events require luck and magic. If you have luck and any order you can get the occasional serious gold bump/random fort, but luck and magic can give you new mages. If I recall correctly cold, heat, growth, and death all also have gem/mage events tied to them. Also, watch out for heat dominion, one event tied to that is your lab burning down. Depending on where this happens it can be seriously inconvenient.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Don't you have to be alive to transform? Make it a statue or something. Also immortal to help prevent people from trying to kill it off, otherwise some Joker could just try getting it horror marked to hell and back.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Coolest thing I did with Dryads was seduce indy mages. The best was a vampire count from the event where he attacks.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Keep mind that units heal at end of turn so if you can pin down army movement it can soften them up.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Samog posted:

come back to internet relay chat the demon

Yes, one of us.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Who all has bought Trillwinter's latest and most ambitious title CONQUEST OF ELYSIUM 4? I think we should get a multiplayer game up and going and LP it and all become legends in our own right in the Something Awful goons community.

We will have to all get together and slam out the first bunch of turns where you don't do anything. But just take screenshots and poo poo and each post our perspective like good LPs do.

I, obviously, would like to be the Senator.

I'd be down, as the Burgmeister.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Fairly unfair to the virgins who might have been expecting to be rescued from their foul captor, I suppose.

You're God, you decide what's good and what isn't. Besides, the virgins should be grateful they get to die for God and not some two-bit warlock.

Barono
May 6, 2007

jBrereton posted:

This is specifically why I asked JK for slothpower.

There should be a power for every scale really. Most of them wouldn't see much use, but why not?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Why not just nerf blood? Remove astral corruption, up the cost on send horror and whatever else is too cheap.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Didn't one of the other forums folk produce a list of syntax highlighting for text editors? That might be handy to have as well.

Barono
May 6, 2007

How are u posted:

Wait, really?

What poo poo is hiding at research level 10 for each school??

As I recall the trick is to have enough research to go from research level 8 to 10 in one turn, which is a stupidly large amount of research, especially in Dom 4. It's only relevant for construction though, as construction 10 is where all the event/rare province unique items are. Seeing as how none of them are that exciting it's more of a weird bug/easter egg than anything.

Barono
May 6, 2007

As a general site searching followup, most magic sites you'll find only need 1 or 2 in the path to find, so it's generally better early on to send out a mage with broad path access rather than someone with deep path access. You can backfill later with site searching spells if you want to be completionist.

Many magic sites have an effect whether weighting scales, causing disease, making a horror mark, blasting undead/demonic units with holy fire, and cause/remove unrest. These happen even if the site isn't searched out (actually I don't know if reducing unrest happens). It's worth checking your dominion for strange effects, and especially the areas just outside your candles for scales. The most common one that springs to mind is a Well of Pestilence, which will increase death, cause disease, and needs a D3 mage or dark knowledge to search it out. If you see something weird you can look it up in the database. You should especially do this early game when candles haven't spread everywhere yet, as you can see the scales of provinces next to your dominion.

Don't bother casting acashic record, it's wayyyyy too expensive and comes too late. The one possible exception is provinces that have a bonus chance of having magic sites. This is determined in the map file, but unless it's some silly adventure map, that generally means throne provinces.

The other multi search spell voice of tiamat is cool and good though, you should cast that all over underwater.

Holy sites are rare and generally not too interesting, you're probably better off having an idle priest preach if possible.

Blood sites are also rare, and the good ones even more so. The catch is the good blood sites are really good so it still may be worth searching.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i guess i'm real bad at reading!

some things i've thought about for troops:
give some of them better shields, reduce cost on tiger riders, make the s2n1 guy have mm2, maybe also change it to like s2?1 nef (or something), slight str + att bump for vanara swordsman and white one, maybe give the atavi archer a composite bow, make one of the ape commanders forest recruit. maybe fiddle with elephants so they are less poo poo against players?

for the spells:
apsaras should give you more with no cost increase imo and celestial music should probably be either s2 or no gem cost and definitely earlier in the tree (also maybe moved to like conj or alt idk). most of the other summons are too expensive for what you get (maybe not yaksha but 25 gems is kind of a lot when you're unlikely to get MOAK). alternately, it's hard to get to the cool later summons because you need a lot of other research to survive but that could just be me being bad.

edit: in case it's not obvious probably don't do all of these things at once

If you want to *really* shake things up give them a foreign recruit Bandar sorcerer with n1b1d1.

Barono
May 6, 2007

This is worth you taking them from me the turn before I get to actually make one.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Alright, it's almost a new year, and we all know you're going to do some stupid things. You should just acknowledge that and join

:siren:Grandpa's Closet Reloaded:siren:

We did a Grandpa's Closet game several years ago, and it wasn't exactly a huge success. I hope to have learned from my mistakes and can engineer better game settings.

This is going to be an all ages huge game on a ~1200 province map, featuring D&D's World of Greyhawk in MS Paint glory. There may be an adventure map available with defined sites, but we won't be using that. download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr0am57xne2xv8n/OeridiaDom4.zip?dl=0

We're either going to play with thrones, or accumulating VPs. It turns out you can't use thrones as VP generators which is totally lame since thrones are cool, I'm not sure which yet. I would like it if the game actually ended, accumulating VP would help with that.

This will be a disciples game with 4 person teams. 3 normal team members, and one Extra Special Aqua Friend! (nations that start underwater are aquafriends). Normal team members can not be aquatic. Please do not go AI without consulting your team mates first, and please try to be available in irc.

No ermor/lemuria/other pop kill nations. If you want to run one with recruitment like LA R'lyeh or Asphodel as a disciple that will probably be OK.

We'll be playing with the JBBM or something like that TBD. I'll probably take out Burden of Time and Astral Corruption since on a big game some rude dude is going to rush it and that poo poo is obnoxious. Arcane Nexus is also likely out as it is silly in big games.
Link to post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182&userid=201009&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post467504774

I haven't made the game or created signups yet, and I'll probably wait a couple days for feedback, as most of this is up for debate and I've probably missed some stuff. Talk amongst yourselves and find team mates though!

Barono fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barono
May 6, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I vote neon trees, highly artifacted and densely populated.

• Locked thread