Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Had a spare half hour, made a thing.

I don't have time to do all of them, but maybe it'll inspire someone or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

TheDemon posted:

That's incredible. Do you have that in .rgb or .tga (which are the only formats dom4 accepts) or the base file for that matter (psd or whatever)?

Sure, no problem.

http://www.llamaserver.net/wolfsbane/Muspell%20Hirdman.zip

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm looking for a list of nations in each era, and the magic paths they can get on their recruitable mages. Does anyone know if something like this exists, or will I need to make it myself?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dom4 has an #autoundead mod command which gives your mod nation Ermor's undead spawning. You can also mod in EA/LA Mictlan's dominion effects, and a load of scales mods (like the heat and cold of Abysia and Niefelheim).

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Incidentally, if any mod makers want to make requests for features, there's a thread here that the devs are reading and posting in.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's been changed to #makemonsters, for no very clear reason.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Signs you may have made your new nation's sacreds a little too powerful:

(This is only the end of year 2, so that battlemage does pretty much gently caress all).

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

jBrereton posted:

I dunno, 12 Jaguar Warriors would probably've done the same, assuming they had a bless that was befitting of their Being Jags?

(also looks like a morale type failure on Marverni's part, but then their leaders in that battle are total garbage; remember those Barbarian Chiefs have -1 inspiration, as well as an unimpressive squad cap).

Yeah, they're fairly similar to jags, but their second form doesn't stick around (hence they all died) and causes fear (which I'm starting to think may be a little OP).

They have a N9 bless because I haven't given the nation any good way to access F9 or W9.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Kenlon posted:

Does anyone know when we might get a DB dump for Dom4? Going through and making spreadsheet by hand with all the mage stats is becoming painful.

Edi said he'll be doing one once the mod manual is finished, so 2-3 weeks. I would do it myself, but I'm too lazy busy right now.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There's a pixel-art thread in CC, some of the people in there are pretty amazing.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Astral bless adds to your MR to a maximum of 18. Astral levels just give you magic leadership. There are spells to boost MR in Astral and Earth, and there are a few items that give +4 or so, but getting most human mages (base MR in the 13-15 range) above MR25 is virtually impossible.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Decrepus posted:

If Caelum infantry's purpose is something other than grounding themselves with a storm and body-blocking the enemy then you need to remove thunder strike.

They need their bows to fire normally in storms or something.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

jBrereton posted:

Problems I can foresee, though:

1) It gives MA Caelum, already Best Caelum, a bit of a boost, since High Seraphim get W2 and a 27.5% shot at W3+ to start with.
2) There isn't an AP8 Cold attack, only an AP12 one (222), which would make a Freezing Arrows spell stronger than Flaming Arrows.
3) I'm not sure about what the spell effect number is to do this thing without just copying Flaming Arrows wholesale.

It's not something that mods can do, it would have to be an Illwinter thing.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

goatface posted:

They don't give gold, not sure about gems. Certain commanders have "tax collector" that removes the requirement.

Gems are the same, but lab instead of fort.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Mecharasputin posted:

Any chance someone bought multiple copies to resell them to goons who will invariably miss the sale by mere hours? I haven't played Dom3 in over a year and the itch is back.

50% off on GamersGate all weekend.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

TheDemon posted:

It would be nice to have more more-equitable maps. Most of the ones that come with the game are terrible for balance, and made in Dom3 when there was no throne-pref terrain mask. Having 4 or 5 maps that don't have big terrain + choke problems and do have evenly-spaced throne terrain set would go a long way.

I know I've been absent for the last few months (blame World of Tanks), but if this is really an issue I could get back into mapmaking again. My main problem is always that I don't actually play Dominions that much, and I'm not very good at it when I do, so I don't know enough about how to design a map that's fun to play. If there were a few experienced players who would be willing to be map designers in a scrawl-with-MSpaint sort of way, I'd be up for translating that into something pretty.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't know the details of what happened to it, but the guy who ran it was erratic and very resistant to offers of help. The whole thing was a bizarre kludge run off a memory dump of dom3 crammed into a database.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If you want to find out, a lot of the mods of the old wiki hang out on the dom3mods forum. From brief searching, it seems like one of the guys over there has the source for the old wiki and has promised to do something with it, but with no visible results so far.

Maybe ask someone in their IRC if you have web coding skills or whatever.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm 90% sure the mod inspector could be made to output to wiki format, if you don't want to just run the wiki off a database core again (which might be the most sensible plan).

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I should probably fix Artea at some point. It works as is, but there are some hilarious balance issues (for example, one of the heroes is more powerful than most pretenders).

I should also fix my spell database. And start playing dominions again...

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You're missing mine, although I'm not sure you'd want to use it in competitive play. It's a bit OP, and I never got around to balancing it properly.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1830

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Calculations are all done on the server, so you should be OK. Replays will be hosed, but what can you do?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dominions games 75% off at GamersGate

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Turin Turambar posted:

They also double? the resources of that province. That, together the ability of building your national units, means they are your primary production centers of your armies.
In typical dominions fashion, it's much more complex than that. Forts take a fraction of the resources (depends on the admin value, which depends on the fort type, which depends on nation and terrain) from each surrounding non-water province you control. That means if you need to mass produce high-resource units (you probably don't) a citadel surrounded by hilly provinces is the best choice. It's also why some people (who don't understand that forts are for mages) tell you not to put two forts next to each other.

In addition forts increase the income of the province they're in, and supply in adjacent provinces, but that's rarely a good enough reason to build one.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

A limp what?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Amuys posted:

Who here is good at balancing

Emphatically not me. Which reminds me:

I made an updated version of my bear tribe mod.

It was supposed to just be a simple update to reduce the insane power level. It actually ended up as a huge rewrite that added a civil war between the religious and secular factions via some crazy event modding. This is how most of my projects go.

Get it here

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ramc posted:

jBrereton you are gonna have to walk me through your red text because man I do not get it.

Someone in the UK thread in D&D has a very oblique sense of humour. There's one poster with red text about their taste in wallpaper, and another one about bolognese. Probably a few others that I forget.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

violent sex idiot posted:

every part of the thing other than the trees is very good. adding the terrain pictures is unnecessary i think and everything looks better and cleaner with there just being a colour code for each terrain

I have a tool someone made that takes in a dominions map, and outputs a graph of circles connected by lines, representing the provinces and their connections. You can replace the map tga with it and play dominions as the purely abstract strategy game it was always meant to be. You might like it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Speaking as someone who once tried to write a fully spherical map generator - run, run while you still can.

e: if you ever start writing that, give me a call

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Chomp8645 posted:

I consider any of the following things to be a "win" in Dominions besides winning the actual game.

1) Killed another player, or occupied their capital.
2) Killed an enemy Pretender in battle.
3) Intentionally suicided yourself against MA Ermor to the point neither of you will win.
4) Same as 3, except any other nation you happen to dislike for irrational reasons.
5) Went AI the first time the timer was set to 48 hours (permanently) or the first time the game was paused.

6) Got invaded by a superior power, managed to annoy them enough that they went away and picked on someone else instead. Bonus points if they got attacked on another front while you were distracting them.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with that result. I just wish I could afford more of my absurdly overpriced sacreds.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Nah, I gave up on this game ages ago and I was just trying to see how long I could survive and how much I could harass you in the process. Somehow I seem to have ended up with a load of provinces, it's all very confusing.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

TIL that if you win the arena, and your commander doesn't have the slots to use the item you win, then it gets binned. Which is a bit poo poo.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You could put more houses in the sites with the extra-population modifiers ('large' and 'fresh water').

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Oh no you don't, not again. You already hosed me in nowinners, I need you to stay in 30years long enough to ensure Arco doesn't profit from their brutal imperialism.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Prism posted:

I... I bought it. It's my first Dominions.

Now I can learn how to die horribly in multiplayer. I wonder if the manual is worth reading this time or very wrong.

There was a collaborative project to rewrite the manual for the new version. Guess how well that worked.

• Locked thread