Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A friend of mine bought me this game as a gift a while back, and I've been meaning to learn it. At there any good strategy rundowns of the different nations, and what sort of pretenders to run with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a particular age I should be playing in as I learn the game?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a way of boosting a commander's Holy magic level other than the late game artifacts? Do Communions/Sabbats work? I want to be able to run Sacred troops, but I don't seem to have any 3+ Holy priests except my Prophet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Are there any particular mods that most goons use that I should start familiarizing myself with?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, after playing around with some different EA nations, I've decided try an actual game with Agartha. I was thinking something like this for a pretender:

Imprisoned Annunaki of Sweet Waters; W9 E4 N9; Dom 7; Sloth 3, Misfortune 1, Drain 1

The plan is to use a core of Ancient Ones/Ancient Stone Hurlers backed up hordes of summons. The main problem I see is expensive mages to lead them, but I'm hoping I'll be able to cover it with alchemized Earth and Fire gems.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

That's an awfully big bless for a not especially great sacred unit. They can tank pretty well with W9N9, but with Attack 9, they're literally less talented in melee than indie light infantry. Might work better in practice than I'm giving it credit for, mind.

Quickness also grants +3 attack and defense, according to the manual, which should bring them up to at least passable.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

Quickness from water bless isn't real quickness, I don't think you get the attack buff and you only get a double turn every second turn.

I wouldn't take a heavy bless with EA Agartha; an earth or nature bless maybe for their mages but a water bless is a complete waste.

jBrereton posted:

I'm pretty sure that the blessing version of Quickness is just 1.5x actions (plus the +4def from the bless), although I could be wrong on that.

Yeah, that sucks. What would you suggest? Should I go awake SC for early expansion and only use mages, scouts, and summons?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Most of the major religions in the world are human-fronted

Those would be the prophets of those religions, in general, not the deities themselves.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

goatface posted:

There should be a pretender chassis of that weird japanese dick-chariot thing from the persona games.

Or maybe just as a summon.

Mara is a Buddhist demon of temptation, but I'm pretty surprised there isn't a Mara based Pretender chassis. His dominion could spawn Succubi to represent his daughters.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a cheapish and reliable way to branch out into Earth and/or Astral magic if I don't get any as national commanders? I desperately need to be able to throw more MR on my troops. Even with an Earth or Astral pretender, summonable E and S mages come with armies and are fairly expensive.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Are there any general strategies for fighting entrenched aquatic nations as a nation that doesn't get amphibious troops naturally?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of gem sites can be found at each path level? Would I be better off using the search spells with my level 1-2 mages than to search manually?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What should be my go-to spells or Air 2 battle casting? The only things that seem both spammable and useful at that level are Lightning Bolt and False Fetters, neither of which are particularly wonderful. Crafting boosters for them is too expensive to be worthwhile, especially since I spend a ton of air gems making Owl Quills.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Fixing the UW nations is going to involve making them land nations first and foremost, that simple.

At the moment, underwater factions:

- Can't use half their magic either in or out of the drink
- Can't get their best troops out of water
- Can't recruit very much on land, and almost always nothing but indies past the coast (and unless you make them land nations, this is hardcoded)
- Have serious trouble sustaining Throne control outside of the sea
- Are in an environment where their gem income is skewed against their getting out of the drink
- Are basically denied the use of Blood magic, despite some of the best Blood stuff being WB

The only way to fix that is to make them land nations which can also do stuff under the water a bit more than average, I think.

I'm a very new player, so my ideas might be terrible, but I was considering this problem not too long ago, Oceania in particular. Oceania is completely amphibious except for their path loss on their mages, which is a simple fix and solves the first two problems, and the Bishop Fish, which isn't a insurmountable loss. They suffer a very small stat loss out of water, but that's fixable if it is a problem. Expanding coastal recruitment to everything except Bishop Fish and Aphroi would make their beachheads decent, at the very least, and making the same, minus the Capricorn, Forest and/or Swamp recruitable could let them press inland without making them feel like a land nation. With decent land presence they should also be able to break into blood if they want to, though it won't be particularly cheap or easy. That at least partially covers most of the problems with them, as far as I can tell.

e: And while you're at it make Nerid, Ancient Kraken, and Sea Dragon full amphibious (Nerid and Sea Dragon would probably need some spriting work done for land forms). Maybe even make a distinct Sea nation version of the Ghost King who's also full amphibious.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 6, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What does that make Marverni, then?

poo poo.

e: dammit

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Postmortem first full game against 8 Difficult AIs as EA Ur. I'd appreciate any suggestions, especially on anything that wouldn't work in multiplayer. I was running AI NoRecruit/Thematic Armies to get a better feel for opposing nations.

---Pretender: Dormant Annunaki of the Morning Star; A4/E4/S6; Dom7/Order3/Sloth1/Heat2/Growth3
I liked this build overall; my mages are a bit on the expensive side, though their upkeep is blessedly low, and Sloth is a non-issue since I can make up the difference with non-fort troops that are both low-resource and almost as good as my fort troops. There were times I wished my research was faster, especially with such expensive mages, but I'm not really sure what I'd drop to pick up Magic scales, or if they would make an appreciable difference. Path-wise, my pretender opens up several key items; easy Dwarven Hammer, Crystal Shield, Winged Helm, Bag of Winds, Staff of Elemental Mastery, Crystal Coin, Starshine Skullcap, and Rings of Sorcery/Wizardry, plus eventually a number of artifacts, including the First Anvil and the Gate Stone. With this pretender and a single empowerment (no unique summons), my potential total magical diversity is F7/A8/E8/W7/S9/D8/N8, though Fire is a bit on the expensive side and I won't pick it up again unless I think I'll need it.

---Early Game: A reinforced starting army worked fine here lead by a prophet commander. Spear Guard aren't worthwhile; 2 extra armor and some reach for nearly double the resource cost. I didn't take too many losses, but afflictions tended to start piling up after 4-5 provinces. Whenever I conquered a decent resource province, bought a chief and started recruiting spear Warriors for him; I found about 30 was pretty safe. I recruited some extra scouts from conquered provinces. Started building a second fort on turn 6 or 7, on an Amazon province, so I could get cheap archers. Back at my capital I was non-stop recruiting Gudu; they're pretty expensive, but I wanted to start searching out Air sites immediately so I have gems for Owl Quills come Year 2 when my pretender shows up. Besides, I wanted as many Earth Gudu as possible as battle mages later, and I only had a 50/50 shot of getting them. I held 13 provinces at the end of the first year, but could probably improve that by co-coordinating reinforcements better. Early/early-mid research priorities were Construction 2 (Dwarf Hammer, Owl Quill), Conjuration 3 (Summon Earth Power), Construction 3 (Legions of Steel), Enchantment 3 (Strength of Giants), Alteration 2 (Earth Meld) and 4 (Destruction), and Construction 4 (Path boosters, some other stuff). I'm considering getting Thaumaturgy 3 earlier next time, for Panic and site searching.

---Mid Game: Army composition remains much the same here; spear Warriors and hatchet Soldiers backed up by indy archers and some Gudu and sometimes a Shaman (throwing Panic/Sleep Cloud), and later Falling Frost Ishibs (with Water Bracelets). Did some light thugging with Banes equipped with Frost Brands and Black Steel Tower Shields, which worked fairly well. I had some trouble with besieging enemy forts (especially Arco), and a couple of times had to resort to Crumble to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time without suffering starvation. My pretender also was able to give some backup, and I really came to appreciate just how mobile she was. Immediate research goals for this period were Construction 6, Evocation 5, and Conjuration 6, and I picked up some other stuff incidentally. By year 6 I was about 2/3 of the way to winning, though I probably wasn't aggressive enough, since I was loath to open up wars on multiple fronts. I sort of stalled out a bit around this time, as my surviving opponents started fielding nasty conjured troops/masses of glamoured crap/giants that I couldn't really figure out how to beat easily. I mostly won the actual battles, but would take such high casualties that I couldn't really counterattack or siege. I didn't help that Oceania decided to aggro on me about that time, and harassed me from the sea non-stop until I finally researched Sea of Ice to make them go away.

---Late Game: I had enough income and recruitment at this point that I was able to slowly attrition down enemy forces, and finally finish off their major stacks with a squad of thugged-out Wraith Lords and claimed the last thrones.

My major worry is that the period where I stalled out is where I would have been crushed by an human opponent, and I need to figure out how to prevent that. I also want to experiment with breaking into some low levels of Blood so I can make Blood Stones, since I use so many Earth gems on my battle mages.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Could someone give me a brief overview of how to bloodhunt effectively (in particular, without crippling my gold economy) and how to best to break into Blood as a non-Blood nation?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, the only reason I asked was for Blood forging, particularly Blood Stones. Actual Blood magic isn't worth the effort, and my strategy doesn't hinge on me getting Blood, it would just be a nice bonus if I did.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Could anyone do one of those mini-guides for MA Agartha? I've tried them a couple of times but just can't seem to make them click. They need a lot of money for their mages and their initial expansion troops, and they're begging for a decent bless, but I can't seem to strike a good balance on a pretender. I'm also not really sure how to combat old age on Golem Crafters. I've got them to work pretty decently in combat, but I have a hard time gathering enough forces in the first place to really expand early on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I ran an Ancient One+Trog expansion, which worked much better. Not going double major bless helped too. Appreciate it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

Why are you using Ancient Ones? Unless it's just to be an expensive standard bearer for your trogs.

Using them a handful of them with a major Nature bless to absorb arrow fire so I get fewer trog losses/afflictions.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

pokie posted:

Well, I am a total noob (just read a bunch of LPs), and the magic system is hardly self-explanatory. Spell descriptions do not seem very accurate or useful. Getting an idea of what's what in the giant spell list would be great.

The manual has much better descriptions of what spells actually do that the in-game descriptions/the mod inspector. As a fairly new player myself, I've gone through the nations I want to play and asked myself the following:

1) What mages do I have available, and what are their highest reasonable (25%+ chance of getting) Paths/Path combinations? [Base Magic Diversity]
2) Which of my mages are both not Slow to Recruit and aren't capital-only? [Potential Battlemages]
3) What Path Boosters can I reasonably craft using the above mages? What non-unique Commanders can I summon that have better Paths than my national mages? [Potential Magic Diversity]
4) What Magic Items can I craft with my Potential Magic Diversity? What about Rituals/Summons/Globals?
5) Can my Pretender improve the above in any way? How long will it be until she is able to do so?
6) What Battle Magic can I cast with my Potential Battlemages? Can any of them cast Storm/Storm Power, Phoenix Power, Earth Power, or Strength of Gaia? If so, what can hey cast with those boosts? Do I have access to cheap/cheapish Blood or Astral mages? Can I use them in an effective Communion/Sabbat?
7) The hard part: of the various spells I can cast and magic items I can craft, which are worth the opportunity cost for my nation? This takes some playing around in game; I recommend the Debug Mod to more easily test things.

These are just general steps for developing a feel for a nation though. Different nations are going to have radically different priorities, and may take a couple of single player games to really get the hang of.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know why they even have all those different units to begin with. Just make half a dozen or standardized units, resprite each of them for female versions, and then have everybody fight with those. It'd be a much fairer game, in both strategy and gender balance, than what they have right now.

Because that would be really boring? Unless you mean something along the lines of 'standardize all the humans across all nations' and similar. A major part of the appeal of this game is getting to play with all sorts of outrageous creature.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Ah, but in the immortal words of eat the eggs, "who gives a poo poo?"

Uh, I would be pretty upset if Hinnom got stuck with the same infanty as say EA Ermor instead of various giants and such.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

Okay, 2 more games going up! The first is an EA noob game, named noob game. Throne count is to be determined, no real special rules or anything, please don't join if you've already played more than 1 or 2 games.

http://brainwrinkle.net/games/197

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

So just mod that. Make the powerful druids recruitable everywhere and not-slow to recruit.

Even with that they still have poo poo magic diversity thanks to double randoms on the Elder Druid (1/16 chance of getting what you want) and weirdly expensive troops for how easy they are to kill in droves.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

How do I install a mod for dominions 4?

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/modding-dom4-for-newbies-first-steps

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

Good, good. It could take a while, though. On account of me being so lazy modding will take extralong. Also having five running games right now doesn't help, either: I want to have at least three of these games end before I go nuts with test games.

Another route (at least for the spawn/recruit hybrid) you could consider is recruitable commanders that then freespawn troops under their command, like Pans do.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

One thought about your LA description: I think it's not implied in dominions lore that there's a different Pantokrator for each age, which (I think) is what you mean by the line about the Pantokrator fading. Rather, there's a line of history for EA->MA->LA, and the age where the game is actually played is the one age where the pretenders starting vying for the throne.

It's implied that there are a number of previous Pantokrators though, so :shrug:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

A dumb question: The modding manual states a nation can have up to six heroes. But how many heroes does a nation commonly have? Can you look that up somewhere? I want to add some heroes to my nations, but I also don't want to go overboard if it turns out six heroes are twice as much as every other nation has.

http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/?page=unit&showmoddinginfo=1&showkeys=1&showmodcmds=1&unittype=9&unitnat=1&nation=6

Most only have about three.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

Why is Sloth 3 such a common scale choice? I get that the idea is that you're more likely to be throttled by gold than by resources but the extra resources seem invaluable in a lot of situations, from early expansion (where you're throttled by resources) to building troops in multiple castles (where you're throttled by resources). I'd have thought Sloth worse than Death or Misfortune because I always seem to be out of resources all the time.

The problem quickly starts going away once you have a second/third fort, and once you start preferring mages to troop spam. If you're running an awake supercombatant, it's pretty easy to get away with. Besides, being gold limited is a worse situation than being resource limited because you can usually use excess gold to either get more/better mages or buy more forts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

read nation guides and go into everything with a solid strategy

Before you play a nation, you should try to have a strong idea of 'what I want this nation to do', and then try to do that. And then wing it when your rear end in a top hat opponents gently caress it all up.

As for thugs, a thug is any unit with a Fire/Ice Brand and enough defensive items or magic to survive against basic troops.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

goatface posted:

It also affects where a short unit can hit a tall unit, according to the manual anyway.

:psyduck: :dominions:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Problem Sleuth posted:

Hey, I just bought this game thanks to (or possibly in spite of) garth ferengi/modpud's LP. I played a tiny bit of Dom3 years ago and I've come to the realization that I remember approximately jack poo poo. I know a little bit thanks to the LP but what are some good ways to get to know the game? Any tutorials or easy nations? And at what point should I give multiplayer a try?

I watched this LP to learn the basics of the game. The strategic advice isn't wonderful, but it helped the game feel a lot less overwhelming. After that, I experimented with several nations in single player games, figured out what I liked, then developed strategies for a couple nations. Now I'm starting multiplayer.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Gentleman posted:

What, its a random chance event that can ONLY happen if you have the ensi and entu in the cap at spring?

No, it just fires every few years at random, as far as I can tell.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Greetings

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm sorry, but I have evidence that proves otherwise:

Unless by "hitler retard betrayer" he means that Tir Na Nog is going to betray me, Retard Hitler :spooky:

Like he says, one day I will invade your 5 militia provinces.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Smarms get into contact with me about Noobgame. I'm on IRC a lot.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

scalded schlong posted:

Yeah it's really nice to see "how do I play this nation" and encouraging actual discussion rather than weird slapfights and "there is a game starting".

That said I thought we had some mods being made but they seem to have fallen out of discussion. I know there were some dinosaurs and some dwarves but maybe there were more.

I'm in the process of working on a gimmicky Turmoil nation based on Aboriginal Australian myth. I'll probably have a playable version done in a week or so, once I get some more free time to make sprites.

A general overview:
--Palisades only, half priced temples, Heat 2 preference.
--Dying dominion and no blood sacrifice; preaching only.
--Recruitable priests are H2 stealthed inquisitors, auto-communion slaves, and foreign and fort recruits
--Recruitable mages are sacred and come with S1H1+100% FAWEDN 1. They also have Divine Inspiration and a few points of Inept Researcher.
--All regular troops and regular troop generals are stealthed foreign and fort recruits, but are more or less crappy tribals.
--The big gimmick: true-immobile undisciplined slow-to-recruit S3H+100% FAWEDN 3 mage priests who summon random dream spirits in friendly dominion. They can't research or craft items, only preach, cast rituals, and passively summon. Depending on how testing goes, they might also increase (goo) event chance like the Firebird.
----Said gimmick mages summon randomly from a pool of six types of unit (one for each non-astral, non-blood path). The units are all sacred magical beings and have both Chaos and Magic Power. They're unremarkable without these bonii, but are quite powerful with them. The immobile mages can also summon more of a specific type with one of six national rituals, but any given mage can only summon they type affiliated with their random path.

So basically excellent magic variety hamstrung by crappy research and poor forging, units that are very powerful in dominion hampered by difficulties in spreading dominion, and lots of freespawn mitigated by the expensive spawners being protected only by palisades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

E: ^ Oh that looks fun, cannot wait. What age is it going to be for?

EA.

• Locked thread