Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Who pooped the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

FogHelmut posted:

I felt the commentary in this last episode was a large club that beat me relentlessly about the head and neck, and by the end I was begging for the subtlety of South Park.
I don't think there was supposed to be any commentary, just the gang being complete lunatics making a mockery out of their own positions. This is Always Sunny, not South Park.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Charlies songs were fantastic. I realized they were talking about TV awards but had no idea the Emmys were coming up. I wonder if they actually care about that or not.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah I saw that, I just don't know if they're earnestly mad or just playing. I'd be kind of surprised if the people who make a show like Sunny really are into awards.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

neckbeard posted:

*could not give less of a poo poo. What you said implies that Mac and Frank care about Dee.
Good username/post combo here.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ror posted:

That episode was pretty bizarre. A lot of the musical cues and camera angles seemed unusual for the show too.

But I laughed way, way too hard at Dennis' single falsetto note.
Yeah, that part really got me too. "Does this sound like a man who's sick?" That and the fact that they're all alcoholics.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think Fox themselves made that change, the problem is no one got Fox Soccer.

Hahaha:
The channel properly transferred from Fox Soccer to FXX an hour later, when a clip of FC Barcelona's Lionel Messi about to score a goal was broken up by Frank Reynolds (Danny Devito) of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia coming through a leather couch (representing a television screen being "torn" through) being "birthed" in the nude (a scene taken from the 2009 Christmas special episode A Very Sunny Christmas), suggesting the "birthing" of FXX.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So was he making up his own chess rules too? I could see that but on the other hand he did start talking a lot more intelligently for real.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah, I think this is the first ever episode of the show that I really disliked. Far too many comedy shows have done the bad movie gimmick before, and this one really didn't add anything new except for the blackface stuff, and that wasn't all that great of a callback either. Ah well, for a show to go nine seasons and only have one genuinely bad episode is pretty loving amazing.
It's been done before so I was expecting not to like it, but honestly it was still really funny. I think if they did it again, it'd be too tired, but this was executed really well. Probably too much good stuff to list but:
Charlie pulling out the photo of the twin to justify bringing his character back
Dee blowing up at the wedding and Frank pulling off the mask
The plot to flood everywhere and make the Indian reservation oceanfront property, plus the umbrella factory for all the rain
That scene with Charlie see-through because of bad green screening
The hot dudes in the volleyball game and showers
The cut turning Dee into that other woman
and i dunno a whole a lot more was all really good stuff.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He also lost all his money and then got bailed out, so really who knows.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Worst episode of the season I thought... oh well. Good season!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Junkenstein posted:

Funny, I thought this season was the most consistently good for years.
Last season was one of their best I thought, but after this season, I just don't know if the gang is a legitimate comedic force anymore.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Gang Gets Trapped was excellent. For me season 7, if it fell short, was mostly in the high school reunion episodes.

There was also a lot of stuff from last season that I thought was among their best, like The Gang gets Analyzed and Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense.

I liked this season as well, I was only joking around when I said I didn't. Weak moments for me were Squashing the Beef and maybe Gun Fever 2. I was gonna say maybe the Timeshare episode but Frank being in that coil was great.

Anyway though by and large I thought 7 8 9 were all full of funny stuff so looking forward to season 10. As far as I know that's the last season they're signed for as of now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nate RFB posted:

What was the previous record holder?
Live action comedy record is 14 years, Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Always Sunny will match the second longest at 12 years, My Three Sons. Afaik. MASH Cheers Frasier Friends Married... Happy Days Murphy Brown Jeffersons all got stuck at 10-11.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

goldblums eyes posted:

I mostly only watched Always Sunny when it aired so my memory on older episodes is foggy, but a lot of "favorable" episodes for me came from Season 9
I'm in the same boat (haven't rewatched) but some of my favorites are
The Gang Gets Trapped
The Gang Dines Out
The Gang Gets Analyzed
Frank Gets an Intervention
Reynolds v. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense

Season 8 favorite season.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I thought maybe Dennis was sweaty and crazy at the end because of the carbon monoxide? But not sure if that makes much sense.
He wasn't in the basement though! Yeah, I wasn't totally sure why he was dying. Was he crawling through the vents?

Excellent episode, one of their best.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So far this season, Dennis has: been diagnosed with BPD, realized his codependency with the group, experienced extreme rage issues, twice completely cracked/melted down in the face of failure (group dating, Family Feud). If this is just Dennis's evolution I guess that's OK but I hope he's building toward something extreme

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, Dennis makes a fantastic 80s comedy villain.
This was the best part for me, that, like, hey, one of the main characters in this show can play the straight up evil for no reason villain guy and it's not even out of character for him. I felt lik ethey made some of the same jokes repeatedly like just flat out saying "hey this raunchy sex comedy stuff is actually sex assault" half a dozen times but Dennis in the villain ski suit and all that was perfect

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 21, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mr. Unlucky posted:

2 lovely self referential episodes and a copy of something southpark did way better years ago. hope those new writers coming in are good cause the main cast is officially tapped out.

i see why seinfeld stopped at 9 seasons now. maybe they had 1 or 2 good ones left but it's not worth the risk tarnishing the whole series with this kind of crap, and once you cross that line you may as well keep going for another decade or two like the simpsons.
Haha I can see reason for some pessimism but it's only been 3 episodes, and Chardee MacDennis wasn't that much a retread imo. People have doubted the gang's legitimacy as a comedic force before and been proven wrong.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That was actually the funniest moment of the episode for me in its stupid absurdity, Hwang choking to death on snake meat and then Frank taking the snake meat and immediately choking to death right next to him

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was about to post how this was a down season since I thought this episode was pretty bad but then I was looking over the episode list and yeah I liked Being Frank quite a bit, McPoyle vs. Ponderosa was pretty good as was Chardee McDennis 2. Still though down from the last couple seasons though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Stephen King used to guzzle a bunch of mouthwash.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That might be my favorite episode of the season. Dee's Obama impression, the imaginary dinner, oyoyoy-ing at Charlie, fighting each other on their way out of the water, there was so much good stuff. While watching it & enjoying it, when they started doing that thing you see in sitcoms sometimes where somehow all the characters start playing soem really cool beat on a bunch of ordinary objects and I was kind of groaning since I've seen it before so many times. The gang immediately talking about how lame it was and how they'll never do it again was great.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

timp posted:

Which reminds me, pretty hosed up that Charlie tried to kill himself!
To be fair that was only to prove he was already dead!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Probably the best line from this episode is:
"I wouldn't want to see Orlando Bloom in Boys in the Hood" followed by "Yeah it's weird when you switch it."
Followed by them deciding actually they would like to see that

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Making this a musical episode is actually what's saved it from being seen as a preachy social justice episode. Clever girl

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It was definitely to the locker in the park where they were stashing the haul from all their cons throughout the day.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

People here might already know this but I just noticed: the Mick is created and written by a couple of guys who wrote/produced for Always Sunny. I knew it had Kaitlin Olson but I didn't know it was also created by Sunny guys

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

this episode rules

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's not really any legal guidelines for what's acceptable on cable. And if you're one of the anchor shows of the entire network, you can probably push some boundaries without pissing off the "moral" advertising companies.

Edit - I didn't even notice the dog poo poo foot print on Mac's shirt until they brought it up doing the arbitration.
Charlie really didn't get enough of the credit for saving Mac's life, but obviously that's because they wanted to focus in on the Frank dilemma

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Gonz posted:

Dennis was so incredibly happy about the RPG. As he should. RPG's are awesome; especialy that Model 7 Russian one.
It was such a sweet moment when Mac gave the psychopath an RPG

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's no way Dennis's character could survive in North Dakota or wherever else with that woman for more than a week.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

When it started I thought having a woman remake of an episode may be kind of clever but God I could not get over the nonstop meta lampshading mostly from Artemis about how it was a retread and how they needed to change things over and over. That kind of thing for it not to suck all the air out of the episode for me has to be very subtle. The waiter meta wasn’t too heavy but after all the rest it bugged me too. There were a few good moments though, stopping in North Dakota and Mrs. Mac and Kelly ending at the field but I didn’t like this. This season hasn’t been very good to me so far

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I dunno, Artemis's part kind of worked for me. Like right at the beginning in her first objection she says they should go for some gross out humor because nobody would expect it from women... Then at the end it turns out she never let go of the gross out humor plan.
That worked for me too! Maybe because there she was talking broadly about comedy from women and not talking almost explicitly about what the fan reaction to the episode was going to be.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think Dennis was better as an implied possible/probable rapist rather than a definite crazy rapist.
Yeah, they’ve taken him really far into “definite sex predator” which isn’t as funny as the unstated “implication” at all, but they made that jump awhile ago, so that’s basically just what it is at this point.

This episode was pretty good and funny, definitely the best of the season so far.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Frank's long legs were absolutely hilarious

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

so Mythic Quest just gradually started transforming into Always Sunny huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah just watched the MQ episode where HR needs them all to sign a simple form and every person has some insane reason why they can’t sign it and that’s the whole episode, literally could not be any more of a Sunny ep. they all talk in Sunny cadence now too with the godDAMMIT and so on.

I do think it’s for the better too even if some of it feels a little too well trod. But when I saw it was by Mac, Charlie, and Megan Ganz and then it started off as a generic workplace comedy with Abed as le epic Ron Swanson I was kind of disappointed so definitely preferring the new course.