Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hikaki posted:

You do understand that you can actually push the pedal down more to go faster right?

No, they really don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Also: GM

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That Jeep didn't just insta-stop, it actually bounced backwards.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

So, if you're in the Phoenix area and wondering why all of the ambulances and fire apparatuses, strobes on or not, take all corners really slowly, take 1/4 mile to stop at red lights and another 1/4 mile to get up to speed, and in general drive like geriatrics that still understand what a turn signal is, it's because we've figured out that statistically better outcomes for the patient come from safer, if slower, driving to the call, and a smoother ride to the hospital. In most calls it doesn't matter how fast we get to them (within reason), but instead how smoothly and bumpless we can transport them and the medic caring for them in the back. Don't be hatin' because we're slow - the truth is all ambulances are slow, but you expect them to be fast, and we only turn the lights on because it's what the taxpayers expect.

Interesting. I guess this philosophy is more widespread than just Phoenix - it was one of the first odd things I noticed when I moved to Houston. Traffic on the freeways would be cruising at 75+ blowing by an ambulance running code in the passing lane at 65. For the fist few years it felt really wrong to pass an emergency vehicle, but if they're literally driving slower than grandma in her caddy, :shrug:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Locator posted:

I'll just leave this here. Not my picture, DPS provided this.

This is Interstate 10.

How drunk was the driver?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yes. Nobody worries too much about overnight freezes, but if daytime temps are predicted to be below freezing, people hit the grocery stores like hurricane Katrina has come back to life.

And the once-every-few-years we get actual winter weather (a dusting of snow or a couple hours of freezing rain)? Woah boy - stay the hell off the roads. The craziest poo poo you've ever seen is about to go down.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Just finished up jury duty on a DUI case. Dude tried to cut across a lane of stopped traffic on the freeway while still at freeway+ speeds himself. Wasn't successful, dealt a glancing blow to a stopped Mercedes and put his own CRV on its roof. He's taken to the hospital, but fortunately, nobody is hurt badly. His lawyer apparently succeeded in getting the blood test suppressed and no field sobriety test was done. He thought that would be enough to cast reasonable doubt on his client’s guilt. Unfortunately for him, the prosecution still had 3 cops and 2 eyewitnesses to testify in various regards that the defendant looked, acted, and smelled drunk as gently caress. He seemed genuinely surprised we were able to convict on the basis of that testimony, but man, your client was seen driving erratically just before the accident, caused a serious high-delta-V accident by pulling a manouver that wasn't even close to legit, and everyone who came anywhere near him at the scene said he was lit. Shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

Stay safe out there.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

How did they get the blood test suppressed?

Don't know. The defense lawyer got really worked up when we asked about it after the trail was over, without actually answering the question. So I didn't press the point.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LreWfR_p__M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfWI4AATpjI

I've never wanted to kick someone's balls so hard in my life. Hope this fuckass pulls that kind of poo poo with some Hells Angels one day and gets what he has coming to him

He's still sitting in jail waiting for trial on two counts of aggravated assault. Considering his priors, refusal to take the court-appointed lawyer, and willingness to make the state's case for them in public interviews, he may never leave.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

dee eight posted:

Looks like the guy was on his brakes hard while making the avoidance move. The weight shift changes handling characteristics and the driver loses it.

Brakes are not always your friend in a panic situation.

Yep. The right thing to do once you feel the rear start to slide is to get back on the gas which will stabilize the rear and let you steer out of the slide. It goes totally against most people's instincts though, which is why they go for the brakes instead and spin spectacularly.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

kastein posted:

gently caress tailgaters... it doesn't achieve anything

Except that it sometimes does. Around here, the passing-lane cholesterol is only intransigent half the time. The other half, they're just clueless and if you fill their mirrors in a manner that unambiguously says MOVE IT, they will.

Obviously if they respond to your tailgating with a brake check, they are the former and the right move then becomes the undertake-honk-bird triple combo.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is a throttle valve really even necessary in a modern gas engine? Considering diesel engines don't use a throttle and just control RPM by regulating fuel flow, shouldn't a modern direct injected gasoline engine be able to do the same?

Gas engines need to keep the air/fuel ratio in a narrow range, so they need some way to limit air intake when power output (and hence fuel delivery) is low. Most engines still use a throttle valve. BMW uses a variable valve lift system instead - though they do still equip the engine with a throttle valve for fail-safe reasons. I think you'll see more engines in the future use tricks like that since there are some efficiency advantages.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Elsa posted:

Probation is so perfectly appropriate. He needs to start thinking things through.

Probation for Texas traffic tickets just means that the ticket will be expunged from his driving record as long as he doesn't get another one within 90 days.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

The best move is to lock your car, put your key in your purse, throw your purse in the trunk, then close the trunk. No amount of bonging can stop me from doing that stupid rear end poo poo again!!

No, but modern proximity key systems can.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, because loving morons like that exist, road makers really should put emergency stopping lanes on both sides of multilane freeways.

All that does is give cops a place to run speed traps and encourage people in shitheaps to camp in the left lane so they can be next to a breakdown lane.

The dude in the white SUV doesn't react at all until he's within a car length. That's a reckless level of inattention on his part.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I wonder if that BMW is braking at maximum capacity. Speaking of, I've noticed this as a general trend in dashcam videos. Apart from all the Polish and Russian videos where people are running bald tires during the winter, people are having enormous brake distances even after it's obvious that they are braking. I know we have braking tests during our driving education in Sweden, but I still feel that people are massively under-using their brakes in emergencies.
I tried to brake as hard and fast as I could in my dads V70 and it felt like my face was about to tear off.

Be required to demonstrate a modicum of car control skill? On an American drivers' license exam? You must be joking.

Your average driver here has no idea what 100% braking feels like. Before I got in to HPDE instruction, I instructed at a car control clinic that was geared towards accident avoidance and street-usable control skills. One of the drills was a simple braking exercise: accelerate to 50mph, then stomp the brakes. At least half of the students would fail the first run because they didn't hit the brakes hard enough and about 10% required 3 or more passes though the drill before they would give 100% braking. And these were people enthusiastic enough about driving to sign up and pay for a car control clinic.

e: Even the people who did it right the first time were often shocked at how quickly the car came to a stop.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

German car fanboy/fangirl maybe (but boy do you have to be a fan...)?

European delivery. I still have mine on my ED car, too.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Why would I need to strap 'er to the trailer? She's good 'n' heavy - not going anywhere.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Oh yeah I see that now.

What's with that lane, though? Why is there a dedicated turn lane but then it's also possible to turn onto the same road past the divider?

It means the traffic engineers hosed up and spec'ed a divider big enough for a only single turn lane when traffic volume dictates a 2nd turn lane is warranted.

This is a better solution than the alternative, which is to just let right-turning traffic back up.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The problem is that risk compensation is a real phenomenon - these safety features that compensate or mitigate for driver inattention will cause even more inattention.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

but MAH SETBACKS

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

It would also get Powershift a distracted driving ticket.

He had a loving pickup. Why on earth wouldn't he put it in the bed?

Have you seen the load height of modern full sizers?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

.My wife was freaking out because I made her get out of the car because i was worried about an idiot rear ending it.

I understand your instinct to protect your loved ones and to distrust your fellow motorists' attentiveness, but unless you can get behind a barrier or far from the roadway, the safest place to be is in the car buckled up.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Perp getting an attempted murder charge or what? Guy should be charged with one, then settle for never being able to drive again.

LoL, this is America. You can actually kill people from behind the wheel of a car and not be punished that severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Oh man. Shouldn't have left home without his digital tire pressure gauge.