Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'd just be happy if they could figure out how to turn their lights on and where the turn signal is.

On a probably 10 mile trip home tonight around dusk (8 PM) I saw no less than three cars driving without lights. When you think about it, photo-resistors are far less than a dollar, and combining that with a dumb little timer is pretty much all one needs for automatic headlights. There's no real excuse why cars can't have them, right?

Then I realize that turning your lights on requires only the mental recognition that "it is dark outside" and a flick of a switch. People are piloting 3,000 lb slabs of steel at 50+ mph, but are still too stupid to turn their lights on. There's no reason automatic headlights should exist. If you are so loving stupid that you can't recognize it's dark outside, then you should not be near a car. Hell, you shouldn't be near a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

God, I love old Citroen interior design. :allears: It's like someone looked into the pages of Flash Gordon and said, "drat, that's a good idea".

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

Are you in some strange form of car that can't accelerate past 75mph?

My Honda Fit hated the poo poo out of any speeds faster than 70mph. It'd do it but in the most grudgingly way possible. Think "teenager going to church" crossed with "dog eating medicine".

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I honestly believe the police should be able to issue a citation to people that have trouble parking like that to force them to undergo the driver's license test before allowing them to drive again. If you go and pass the test with flying colors, no harm, no foul, no charges. If you fail the test, congratulations, you lose your license. Kinda like how the FAA can force a license check on you if you do something strange or stupid while flying.

Seeing the video above, I get the impression that the person driving honestly has no idea how the relationship between the steering wheel and the car moving in reverse works. Allowing a person like that to drive a car on the highway is like allowing an engineer to certify a bridge design when he is struggling with basic algebra.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

AncientTV posted:

Had someone with their brights on behind me last night for a good five miles on a one lane road. I toggled my rear view mirror, put my hand out the window and made a flashing motion, and turned my lights on and off a few times. They still didn't turn them off :(

That's when I just pull to the side of the road and let them go ahead of me. I'm probably making things worse by rewarding their lovely behavior ("Hey if I drive with that blue light on the dash, people let me pass! Yeehaw!") but it's not worth it to go blind and/or hit something in the road because I'm distracted.

I'm praying for a day when Ford's automatic high beam system can do something like detect drivers in front of you, and then becomes mandatory on every car sold in the US. It'll never happen, but a man can dream. :smith:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

The problem is subtlety. Nearby drivers are gonna identify you really fast if a paintball spews from your grille. Even if they fail to notice that, the collection of police reports along your daily commute will tell them exactly where to look for the offender. Then it's just a matter of time.

While we're living in illegal fantasy land, just build a muffler on the end of the thing and time your shots. :c00l: Please don't loving do this, this is a stupid idea.

Protocol7 posted:

Have a passenger at all times with controls to a quadcopter-mounted paintball gun, tag lovely drivers from the sky.

Speaking of lovely drivers I had the scariest bus driver today. Stopping at 65mph in about 8 feet in a bus is not fun. :catstare:

I've been living on 100% public transportation for the last few months and it's been honestly great. However, the one day I stepped on to a light rail streetcar with a very disgruntled rear end in a top hat who slammed on the brakes. I don't know how much those loving things weigh but my God did that train stop quick. I was unlucky enough to be standing and was thrown towards the front of the train, scraping my arm on the side of the flexible covers they use on the swiveling parts of the train chassis. Originally, I thought it was some rear end in a top hat driver that jumped in front of the train and slammed on the brakes, until the driver did it a 3rd time in a 1 mile trek on the way home. :stare:

Something tells me that the guy/lady up front got some bad news from home that day, and was taking it out on all the unsuspecting idiots that boarded his/her's hellish nightmare train.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

That being said, blending in and not driving like an rear end in a top hat goes a long way to staying off the radar. It's served me well - I haven't been cited for anything since 2008 and only pulled over one or two times in the same time span (and let off with verbal warnings both times.)

Please knock on wood, right loving now. Never say this because you will end up with a ticket. Hell, I was congratulating myself on 3 years of ownership of a Honda Fit without an accident and literally 30 seconds afterward was rear-ended by a Mercedes. Thankfully it was a slow hit with no apparent damage, but still, fate is a cruel mistress.

Also, flying under the radar is the best idea. I will never drive/ride a brightly colored vehicle again - after owning a bright red Mazdaspeed 3 and a bright yellow VFR (and getting tickets in both) I've decided that there is some merit to the superstition that bright vehicles flag you for attention from your local LEO. In my gray and black vehicles I've done the same amount of speeding and nobody seemed to care.

Nothing but a sea of black, white, gray and poo poo-brown vehicles for me from now on.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sudo Echo posted:

Some dumb fucks did that right in the middle lane of the Bay Bridge heading eastbound (lower deck) right after the 1st St. entrance and caused an enormous backup over a minor fender bender during rush hour. As I was driving by a CHP officer on a bike rode up and started yelling at them so loudly to get the gently caress out of the road I could hear him with my windows up.

God bless you CHP bike cop :allears:

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I was driving down I-376 in Pittsburgh headed out towards the East Hills, directly in front of the Squirrel Hill tunnels (those of you from the area know what a clusterfuck this is, so you know where I'm coming from) where two cars slammed into each other trying to merge into the same lane. Of course the loving traffic around them doesn't stop and keeps going, so I stop to make sure both of the drivers are okay.

The old veteran in the car in front looks like he had the shock of a lifetime (somehow - as a veteran I imagine you've seen a lot more poo poo than this), but was okay. I made my way back to the woman in the other car, and she looked completely spaced out and panicked simultaneously. Her car, a mid 90's Honda Accord, had it's front driver's side wheel completely hosed - the steering knuckle was separated from drat near every connection and was pointing at an almost 90 degree angle inwards. As I realized this car wasn't going anywhere fast, a green Jeep Cherokee pulled up with an Allegheny County Sheriff's logo and a man inside wearing a Sheriff's Uniform. He yelled out the window at me "CAN THE CARS MOVE?"

I stared back and replied "I don't know, sir. I don't think so."

His reply? "YOU BETTER GET THOSE CARS OUT OF THE ROAD, NOW." and he loving took off. Just drove away. I was so flabbergasted at the fact that a goddamned loving Sheriff of the county just pulled up, screamed at me to get two immobile cars out of the road, and then took off without even so much as asking if everyone was okay that I couldn't even think of getting his license plate. Years later, I'm still angry I didn't think to write down his plate quickly and call it into the Sheriff's Department as a complaint. What a loving jackass.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Oh yeah, I'd blocked out the memories of riding with a friend of mine back when we used to go to school together. He'd cruise in the left lane at the speed limit, all "I'm going the speed limit, they shouldn't go faster than me anyway. :smuggo: " So that definitely happens.

Back in ye olde GBS days I remember there was a thread created with GBS posters talking about how they cruise at the speed limit in the left lane, and the AI posters invaded the forum telling them how dumb they are. I remember it happening at least twice. So yes, it 100% definitely happens.

The problem is the law doesn't enforce a penalty for left lane lounging even if it is, by definition, illegal. It's kind of like a speed limit in itself, because no cop is going to pull you over for doing 5 mph over* so it becomes the norm to do 35 in a 30, 60 in a 55, etc. While technically illegal, it's never enforced, so nobody follows it. I've been spoiled by driving in Europe where, at least in Germany and Austria, people are pretty vigilant about staying in the right lane and only passing on the left. Those who do lounge in the left lane usually find themselves subject to a 6-figure sports-car sitting 6 inches from their bumper in the derestricted zones, with a left turn signal on as a gentle reminder to get the gently caress out of the way.

* Does not apply for people with slightly-darker-than-lily-white-skin driving in the United States of America.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kastein posted:

EPA violations are a several thousand dollar fine, if you want to get something done start informing the local police of this. I forget if it requires an EPA officer to cite them or if regular cops can, though.

I am not really sure how it fits the definition of assault. I hate brotruckers but using overly broad definitions and making more laws when it is already against multiple unenforced laws is not the way to solve the problem, it is the way to give the police more broad laws to gently caress with everyone with whenever they want. Like, say, civil asset forfeiture, that went real well didn't it?

I think the problem with the EPA stuff though is that old diesel trucks still smoke under acceleration, however they still pass inspection regardless because they were exempt in those years from emissions testing. So the fact is that an old truck with a poor state of tune is still legal to drive, so by extension claiming you see smoke isn't a strong enough reason to suspect a violation.

I'm no lawyer but I bet it would be hard to prove a problem exists without a list of trucks that are permitted to shoot smoke out their stacks vs. trucks that are not, as well as a requirement for how much smoke is "excessive" versus not, etc. etc. Do you time the output of the black smoke, or do you define it by volume? It'd be a tough law to enforce unless you put some very specific measures on the books, and the way the republicans vilify the EPA nowadays I doubt they'll be able to push any meaningful laws through for the next 25 years.

Honestly I think the only way to stop this poo poo is to make it horribly embarrassing to have your truck shoot smoke out like that, but I have no idea how. The South Park thing is kind of funny, but even the "Fags" episode about Harley riders obviously didn't curtail the loud pipes save lives crew.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

antisodachrist posted:

There is a large group that does the same thing in Atlanta.

I'm moving to the area in a week, I'm looking forward to seeing my first Mad-Max roving motorcycle gang.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

"Atlanta" is big and ill-defined enough that you'll have to go looking for them if you want to see them more than, like, once in a forever.

Aww, maaaan. :( I was hoping this was a regular occurrence.

nsaP posted:

If I lived in one of those places I'd treat it like pro wrestling. I'd pick my favorite guy then like, make signs and sitckers for him.

I want to rig up one of those big number displays in the back of the car and tell them how long they've been wheelie-ing for. Like in GTA or Saint's Row, let them challenge each other for the title of Wheelie King of Atlanta.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Look bro, this is coming from one dime-pounding fist-bumping bro that lifts to another. I'm sorry, bro, gonna give it to you straight.

If you can't afford to put a set of tires on your truck, bro, don't buy a truck that needs six of them.
(Also, the fronts were the cheapest Chinese tires you could find at Pep Boys.)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

spog posted:

Jeremy Clarkson commented that Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers.

In the UK, at least, I agree with him.

As much as it pains me to agree with Clarkson on anything, he is 100% correct about the U.S. as well. I recently moved to an area full of yuppies and rich IT workers, and hooooly poo poo the bad drivers.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I've seen people ride their scooters on the sidewalk before in GA - I'm new to the state, but apparently the law pretty clearly states that a 50cc vehicle is not allowed to drive on a street where the speed limit is greater than 35 mph. That would explain the one guy I saw scooting down the sidewalk - I guess, in his mind, he'd rather break the law by riding a scooter on a sidewalk than break it by riding it on a street.

Personally, I think you have a better chance of a gun-happy cop not putting 6 bullets into your skull when you ride on the street, but maybe I don't yet understand the local police well enough.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TNO posted:

When you're a 150 pound sack of meat not paying attention around 3000+ pound metal boxes, the laws of traffic might say you win in court, but the laws of physics say you lose at life.

In the book Proficient Motorcycling the author has about half a chapter devoted to this concept alone. He wrote up a story about a young motorcyclist with a broken leg complaining to the author about how the "other guy" was at fault and all the author asked was "Why did you let him get you?"

Paraphrasing what he said in the remaining half of the chapter, it was basically that you're always going to lose these fights, no matter what. However you (as a motorcyclist, at least) have the best thing short of a warp drive and they don't, so when someone is road raging, driving dangerously or look to be completely incompetent, pin it to win it and get the hell out of there. It blows my mind that so many people don't realize that.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Some 75 year old fucker was probably worried about the small town aesthetic of his childhood home and got all his fellow geriatrics to storm city hall and put an end to uglying up the city with more lights.

Give teenagers access to 1) a car and 2) baseball/cricket bats and watch the problem solve itself!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
This was to an on-ramp for a 65mph 4-lane highway. I'm not sure if she decided "aaaaayyy gently caress it" and turned around mid-ramp, or if she came off backwards that way. Regardless, pretty ballsy, good work, 8/10 would try to kill people merging on again.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This thread really works impressively well as an rear end in a top hat honeytrap.

These are the people we share a forum with?

That said I really want to stick a camera at the top of the hill going to the highway from my apartment. In the morning you ride straight out to find the sun directly in your face, and it blows my mind how many people decide "sun, poo poo. Slam on the brakes in a 45 zone where everyone behind me can't see me!" Rather than, you know, throwing on the $10 sunglasses you got at Walmart.

There are always chunks of bumper and bits of random cars laying on the road. Fun times!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Karma Monkey posted:

Goddamn :stare: Bus drivers who race trains are the worst people.

I'm currently hoping that there are no schools that use white buses because what the flying gently caress.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hill holding assist is the best feature on any manual transmission car. My Mini has it as do a shitload of modern-era VWs (including the manual transmission Passats). I'd imagine that BMWs and Audi cars have it as well since the technology's in the family.

The Passat's implementation was so seamless that I specifically remember my brother and I only noticing after a month of ownership. Hell, the dealers never even mentioned its existence and it's a selling point to put the useless dual-climate controls to shame.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'd take a trucker, fueled by cheap meth and his hatred of the CB radio, pushing his 80,000 lb rig at 75 mph long before I'd take your average pube in a broke-rear end Camry.

At least the trucker had to pass a test proving he knows which pedal is the brake and how to signal a lane change.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Got a little bit more than you bargained for, eh, big guy?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Did the last guy in the bollard video crack the windshield with his head? :stare:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

I would've pulled up right against his/her rear bumper when he/she hit the bollards to stop them from moving.

Then you would've had a broken front bumper as well. :v:

Something tells me that rear end in a top hat wouldn't have had too much of a problem slamming reverse to get out of there, especially since it's their second DUI according to the comments. Unless you drive a beater truck with a huge chrome front bumper/some mean-as-hell bull bar, in which case, gently caress 'em up. :getin:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Regarding light bars - I see loving minivans running light bars here in Georgia now, the most recent one today sporting a lovely US-license-plate-sized install that was aimed upward towards traffic from a mount on the front bumper. As I'm riding in a bitch car for pussy men (Mini Cooper) and I'm not sitting 6 feet off the ground like everyone else on the road, I got treated to an eye full of light bar on the way home.

No idea why LEDs seem to be getting away with this crap, but I'm hoping either the cops or some vigilantes with wire cutters get on them soon.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

BRB, patenting a LASER/camera apparatus that find and destroys offensive LEDs.

If you create such a thing, I will elect you as God. No joke.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
As much as I want to join in on the fun and poo poo on him, I'm glad he asked. When people don't ask questions around dangerous stuff, things can get bad. Hell, the OSHA threads are chock full of examples of "experts" that did things in a really stupid way without asking someone knowledgeable about a proper way to tackle things. The Crappy Construction tales thread as well.

It might only take some logic to figure out, but I'm happy the guy owned up to it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I know Redditors are infamous for being the paragons of idiocy on the internet, but this is just extra stupid. Never assume anything when driving in traffic.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Imagine having to explain to everyone in hell how you died in the parking lot of a Taco Bell.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Two and four way stops are loving dumb. Just do a yield for the two-ways and roundabouts for the four-ways.

I can imagine someone trying to apply this to a state full of poorly-educated, lovely drivers like Georgia and the vast population culling that would come shortly afterward. :magical:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PenisMonkey posted:

Oh we talking about ignoring yield signs? Sorry for the loudness and a very bad word.

https://youtu.be/OaBuL0eOV6Q

Is that the Shallowford Rd to I-85 South interchange near Chamblee/North Druid Hills? Because that has happened to me there many, many, many times.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The thing that amazes me is that people gently caress with each other on the road like that in The Year of Our Lord 2018 where any idiot with a pulse and enough muscle control to scribble on a sheet of paper can carry around a literal weapon of war. I'm waiting for the day I honk at a guy checking his cellphone at a light and he responds by pulling out a gun and firing wildly into my car.

Also, how awkward would that be to pull over after said accident and have them come to your cab (or you go to them)?

Edit: The constant speed thing is why I loathe automatic transmissions, holy poo poo do I loathe them. I swear it was nigh impossible to keep my Mazda 3 at any sort of constant speed due to the loving thing locking and unlocking the converter a million times a mile, and how the car would seemingly slow down and speed up at random. The manual Cooper is 10,000 times easier to keep at a constant speed and a much more enjoyable drive on long trips despite the rock-hard seats.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I was going to make a crack about it being a Chrysler product and the transmission probably poo poo itself and R was the only gear that worked, but I think it's an Isuzu or something, so :shrug:

A Trooper was the only vehicle I’ve ever driven that stalled out while starting off with an automatic transmission. You’d dip the gas in slightly and it was like the torque converter instantly locked up and killed the motor at idle.

If it was a Trooper I’d say the blown tranny is a definite possibility.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RollsRoyce posted:

If ever I supported police brutality, today would be it.

Im sorry but that’s just hilarious in ten thousand ways and I commend those gents on doing whatever the hell is they’re trying to do.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

lol, just lol that we waste all of our drone strikes on Pakistanis instead of bad drivers here

Run for Congress I will vote for you

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I was driving Southbound on I-85 near Atlanta today and witnessed a Ram 1500 flat towing a Nissan Altima which had a trailer hitch, and was flat towing an older Hyundai of sorts. :psyduck: Like a super lovely version of an Aussie Road Train, except about 10,000 times more dangerous. I wish I had a dash cam for this, because hoooly poo poo.

I want to see that guy slam the brakes (behind a crash barrier 300 feet away).

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

hell yea some southern states allow these multi-trailer nightmare combos.
Although what Ripoff describes is probably not legal as assembled.

Yeah this was something else. First off, there should be “trailer” brakes on the rearmost car because any brake application while doing anything but driving perfectly straight could see the cars making an accordion-like jackknifing which would make any YouTuber seeking glory scream in joy. Also, probably more importantly, the Altima’s trailer hitch is most definitely not engineered to flat tow a possibly 3,000 lb automobile in any way. That could make for some fun subframe-crunching action if someone cuts you off on 85, which happens approximately every 30 seconds.

If I don’t see them on the news tomorrow I’m guessing they either got pulled over by a cop who is probably still saying “what the gently caress” aloud at the bar or they, by the grace of god alone, made it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

STR posted:

I see that poo poo ALL THE TIME driving on I-35 between DFW and Austin, also every time I'm on I-10 west of Midland. Generally all 3 have some degree of accident damage, I've always assumed they were auction cars headed toward Mexico to begin a new life.

Yeah that’s exactly what happened here: Ram looked to be in good condition, and the Altima and Hyundai had some mild body damage in the way of messed up plastic and bumpers.

If I was driving anything back to Mexico I’d sure as hell not start by buying a car in Northwestern GA because that’s a long-rear end trip any way you slice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

But, yeah, I'm a flight instructor now and if we treated planes the same way we treat cars, I'd send my students solo after 5-6 hours, they'd have a full license by 20 hours and people would die on a stunningly regular basis. Part of the piss-off with driving is that I can look at how flight training works and realize we know how to teach people to safely operate even very complex vehicles, and regulate it to ensure they remain competent, and we just don't care to do it with cars and trucks because we've decided ARE FREEDUMS are more important than widespread death and injury.

I think the huge misconception is that if you are in a car and things go really bad, you can just jam the brake and be “safe”, which is why we let 16 year olds drive on the street after a 15-minute introduction to the car. Meanwhile people who are decent at driving realize it’s a machine with a 4,000 lb mass and requires some major finessing after said brakes are jammed, which defeats the first argument immediately. Combine this with the fact that many places in North America have no feasible way to have a kid or person walk to their destinations in any reasonable amount of time, and you have a public who doesn’t care about the deaths involved so long as Skyler can get himself to practice and not bother mom or dad.

If all planes had usable ejector seats for when poo poo went sour and the aircraft manufacturing organizations had a lobbyist in governments pushing for plane sales, I’d bet you’d see the public look favorably upon flying and see the government receive pressure on lowering the requirements for licenses (like with the sport-pilot license in the US, which was created to let old farts keep flying). Especially if you could convince someone living in a remote rural tax haven that a plane could get them to work in 15 minutes instead of an hour.

Oh, how the bloodshed would be incredible.