Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some brave fool is designing an entire herd of Buffaloes:

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
macross.gif

Finally, I can live out my dreams of being an anime. :stwoon:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Motley posted:

So how fleshed out is this game right now? Is it currently worth the price? And how is it doing as an early access game? I know it has been in development for a while, but how steady are the updates. What do y'all think the chances of it being abandoned like so many other early access games are? It looks really neat but I don't want to waste my money.

Starsector is one of the few "early access" titles done right. It started from a very solid, stable base (the combat) and each update has significantly changed and expanded the way the game plays. Even if development stopped now, you'd still have a surprisingly high quality piece of software.

Then you've got things like DayZ...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Where does Alex live again? I know it's somewhere with a pretty low cost of living so admittedly he doesn't have to hustle like some of these other devs but I can't remember the country.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Starsector is kind of an anomaly when it comes to indie games...I mean, it's not big with either games journalists or twitch streamers, it's not some sort of trade show darling, the dev doesn't have a hip, twitter persona, it's never been on Greenlight, Kickstarter, or Early Access, and while it is 2D, you can't really call the graphics "retro."

Alex just sort of sells the game and works on it and it updates when it updates. Which is pretty cool, you know?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 11, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually never even played the last patch so I'm pretty excited.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alchenar posted:

I haven't actually played any of the open-world stuff (despite many hours doing the single shot missions) so this seems like a good time to get back in.

Whoa, really? That's...pretty crazy. Well at this point you'll have a wealth of new content to look forward to

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

lolasaurusrex posted:

Seems to have developed into an actual game since then, so I'm gonna spend the last 3 hours of work trying to remember my login details, then I'm going to get this running.

Keep in mind that you bought it when it was still still called "Starfarer" if you're searching your emails for a key.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BTW has anyone tried Approlight? Ambitious Chinese mods are always really interesting but often kinda janky and unbalanced and I can't find any video of it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm at work! :toot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, I'm still kinda waiting for mods before I get back into this game, but is Conquest still the secret best captital ship in the game? TIA

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kenshin posted:

I love those 0.7.1a patch notes. Alex knows what the hell he's doing, those are all great changes.

The Starsector lifecycle:
1. New version comes out, changes everything, some controversial design decisions, a few bugs
2. Alex quickly fixes the bugs, and hones down the new gameplay systems based on community feedback
3. The long wait begins, but mods are able to fill the gap
4. New version comes out...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Is that one actually balanced? It's by the same guy who made Neutrino which was basically the poster child of "really cool and fun but absolutely, brokenly overpowered" mods.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think I've made a huge mistake trying to play for the first time in two major versions with the Interstellar Imperium mod. My biggest problem is less finding weapons for them (though that's also an issue, since I get real spergy with faction mods and try to play almost exclusively with faction ships+faction weapons when I can) and more finding duplicates of those weapons. Babylon, the so called "Interstellar Bazaar" only has about one gun of each type, and it's the only military market that they have. I briefly installed another mod--Diable Avionics--and had no issues finding their poo poo, even in the civilian and black markets. How do shops get more weapon stock, exactly? The last time I played it usually came from giant supply fleets spawning in system, but that obviously doesn't fly anymore.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Count Roland posted:

Yes it is a harsh world.

e: for some actual content, how often do you guys use the quick save feature? Like if you get hosed up in battle, do you like quick load, or play through it? I've been doing the latter since its the only way I've been able to progress, but the former has a sort of appeal as well.

It's me. I am the scum.

Tbh I'm kinda pissed about the death of the quicksave in general.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 4, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dis astranagant posted:

Pirate fleets tend to have much meaner compositions at the start instead of an endless supply of unshielded shitboats.

Yeah, the tread title's no longer too accurate, sadly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tanith posted:

Oh my god, everything updated.

Collusion!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, the game's technically not even out and already people are waxing nostalgic. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

E: But actually I might add a BRDY station or something to an existing system, just to spread them out a bit more, like Tiandong did.

Please do. That's been my problem with some faction mods (cozy with the Imperium right now); they only have one planet with a military market, hope you got lucky on the dice rolls! In the last version I played, supply fleets would spawn routinely and add new stock, but I'm not sure how it actually works right now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baronjutter posted:

I'm trying to get back into this but I can't figure out the new rep system. Starting in corvus I thought I'd become a good Hegemony lap dog and after killing some pirates I got a commission. Then I started getting rep hits for not being hostile with everything they were hostile to, which was essentially "everyone but the hegemony". Is there a way to set my self hostile or do I need to travel the galaxy shooting people to make them not like me? The Diktat isn't even in corvus but the Hegemony is really mad I'm not hostile to them. I'm barely treading water keeping the hegemony welcoming and everyone else hates me for being friends with the hegemony. I'm making tiny money off pirate hunting commissions but don't want to venture out of Corvus because every other faction seems to hate me now.

Did I play the faction game wrong or is there still some hosed up faction rep balance? I only downloaded it last night so I should be on the latest version.

Also where do I buy more officers? I just have one crappy cautious dude who isn't much of a help in battle while the rest of my fleet has no one.

Yo, you gotta get out of Corvus. Factions, trades, and stores are spread out around the starmap, so sticking to your home planet doesn't really cut it anymore. Supply and fuel drain are pretty minimal at the beginning, so head out into the warp and make some money. That said, it is a real uphill struggle when things start going south, so you might want to reroll if the situation really is that dire.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baronjutter posted:

So I want to add in some mods now that I've exhausted the base game. Few versions ago I tried mods but found they added way too much weapon clutter (seriously every mod faction some how needs it's own massive list of slightly different PD lasers??) and a lot of balance/theme issues.

What are some solid safe factions/mods that add more ships and hopefully more gameplay/things to do but keep the feel and balance of the game?

I'm also ok with "Boss" level enemies, looking for a challenge!

Definitely make sure Starsector+ is part of your load order, since its special bounties sound exactly what you're looking for. They come with a welcome payout too. I heard the last version was kind of borked, but I'm playing the current one for the first time and I find that it makes enough additions and changes without fundamentally changing the structure of the game like it sounds Nexelerin does. I recently bought a Victory class and found it's basically a souped up version of the Conquest, my favourite vanilla capital. I think I'm in love...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Didn't know about the missile changes (what are they exactly?) and I've had no problem finding mercs, so that's probably just random chance at work.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like Homeworld more than you like balance? Hiigaran Descendents finally works with 0.7.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ceebees posted:

So apparently someone adopted and updated Kadur? Haven't had time to fire it up yet, but, cautious optimism.

Same dude who did the Higs, though tbh I was never a huge fan of Kadur. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From what I remember? Hella front-loaded triangles, lots of long-range ballistics, can't turn for poo poo. There's nothing wrong with them, I just think most modern faction mods have more interesting ships, abilities and weapons is all.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All of those changes sound great and I fear encountering phase ships now. I might actually have to invest in some of my own.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So does that mean that they'll bounce and then they'll arm? Looking forward to sweet goon suicide gifs itt.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd still ballpark Starsector 1.0 five years before Star Citizen's release tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I was recommended this game and various gifs, videos and descriptions made it sound cool so I bought it.

Does it get any better? I've restarted about five times because if I try to do anything at all I almost immediately have some big fleet of ships attacking me out of no where and I can't escape, get blown up and so on. About the most I can do is dock with the station that you start next to, if I do anything else I just get attacked and die right away. poo poo, I don't even know if I like the game at all because I can't see any of it. :(

What ship are you starting with btw?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Talkie Toaster posted:

There are some issues with the early-game balance. Many enemy fleets have Wolf (D)s, which are faster than all the starting options, have a good range, a teleporter and good shields- they can take all damage as flux and readily disengage to vent. When you could start in a Wolf yourself it wasn't such a problem. All you can do is run, but they're fast enough on the system map that they can catch you easily too.

Man, Wolves are my current favourite enemy to fight, especially if you start with a Lasher. They tend to blow half of their flux on the approach, overload at the slightest bit of pressure, and get immediately slagged thanks to their pitiful armor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like the design a lot and I'm no pixel artist, but it looks kind of blurry. I'm sure one of the resident modder superstars will be around to give you some real pointers, but that's my take.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Starsector's getting a Giantbomb video tomorrow, which should help bring introduce some new players to the game.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 9, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Minarchist posted:

God drat he's bad at Starsector. Every single thing he was doing pissed me off. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes in.

"Oh, I like how there's strategy" *deploys nothing but a handful of heavy cruisers with no mobility, is flanked and wrecked by a Lasher* :thumbsup:

Yeah it was pretty painful and hardly showed anything off, but hey, free marketing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, so just what's the deal with Starsector+ these days? I looks like it's been split up into a bunch of smaller mods, but it looks like it's still being released in the main thread anyway. Which is the best one to get?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Telsa Cola posted:

Ill have to admit the game is amazing but the early game grind and difficulty has caused me to stop playing most of the games I start. I have a good handle on ship piloting and fleet composition once I get going but lack of easy targets/inability to find them in the starting phase of the game often dooms me to a slow death of supply loss and unreadiness. Also independents really need to be split up into a broader number of factions because its dumb as all hell that me shooting smugglers angers mercenary fleets.

But again the game is great and has a good,weighty space combat system. Its just that the start can be brutally hard.

If you play with Starsector+ I think there's an option to start with a small fleet, so you might want to give that a shot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:swoon:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So the guy behind the Scy mod is redrawing all of his ships...

...But I mostly think I prefer the old versions:

The new sprites are more detailed and closer to the base game's, but I like the original cleaner, hard-panelled designs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Interesting. I'm not sure I like the idea of near-unlimited fighters, though, as I usually try to knock out the enemy's swarms near the the beginning of a fight. Of course I'm sure if it's broken on release it'll be fixed in a patch or two. That's just how Alex rolls.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not if you smash the entire wing in one fell sweep! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't had problems running out of Command Points since Alex made it so that you can individually assign any number of ships to an order with a single point, anyway. :shrug:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 14, 2016