Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Reset Smith posted:

Well Sepp's predecessor Joao Havelange was at least as corrupt and shady Blatter and he seems to have lived pretty comfortably for the last few decades. If I remember correctly he is over one hundred years old and immensely wealthy. It's true, the worst ones never die young.

His granddaughter (Joana Havelange) makes like one million dollars a year as the head the world cup organizing committee (a position she got back in 2007). That is despite the fact that she has no clear function in the committee, and spent almost the entirety of the run up to the confederations cup last year twitting pictures of her at last year's Coachella and other parties in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Hegay posted:

The list of demands from FIFA to host countries makes even Mariah Carey blush and it just keeps getting longer so I doubt we'll get anyone but shady countries hosting the World Cup.

Remember FIFA demands full tax exemption for FIFA and people involved in hosting and staging the World Cup (for 5 years, including delegates, players, refs etc).

e: FIFA also wants the Brazil laws changed to make "ambush marketing" a crime punishable by up to a year in prison lol

The list of demands has been in place for a while, and it didn't stop Australia, Japan and the US from entering bids. Do you really think that the US would have turned down the World Cup if they had managed to win the bid?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Well, if FIFA decided to get real cocky and ask the U.S. to temporarily suspend parts of its constitution like it did with South Africa such a situation would likely happen.

Considering that the parts that were suspended dealt with the right to strike and to organize protests around the stadiums, that would not be an issue at all in the US case.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, yes, if only people like Platini had more votes we'd never have a world cup in Qatar...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's also why Blatter keeps fondling the balls of the African Confederation. The sad truth is that at FIFA you can get anything you want by ignoring Europe and the rest of the 1st World by playing to the developing world's propensity to accept bribes.

I'm not trying to be racist as gently caress, it has more to do that countries like Barbados and Chad don't exactly have a vibrant history of a free and investigative press. Also, in a lot of countries bribes are just the way business is done, it's not strange.

Yeah, if only 1st world moral stalwarts Platini and Beckenbauer had more power Qatar would never end up with the world cup.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

I really hope Australia follows through and actually sues FIFA for the money they spent on the bid back. Of all the bids that were beat by Qatar they have the most to be pissed about. Had they known that they could have held the tournament in the winter like Qatar is supposedly doing now they would have had a much stronger bid but instead they had to stick with a summer bid.

Uh, if they had the world cup it would have been during their (southern hemisphere) winter.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya if only America could be as pure as those shining European beacons of transparency like FIFA and the IOC. Or Russia and Qatar.

Yeah, the US is transparent enough that when cities decide to spend hundreds of millions of dollars of public money to replace stadiums that aren't even 20 years old, we can at least track down political donations and say "yep, the team owner gave a boatload of money to the mayor." Of course, that doesn't stop the city from spending that money, but at least its transparent.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Seriouspost: the fundamental problem with having the World Cup in the United States is that you're spreading it across an area the size of Continental Europe. If memory serves me correctly, in 1994 no such considerations were made for this and teams would have to travel a thousand miles or more for games in the group stage. No doubt that would have been a burden on traveling supporters too.

If the U.S. was to host it again, it would be far better to stage it in such a way so that the groups were concentrated in regions so that teams didn't have to travel for more than a few hundred miles for their games at the start. Obviously once you hit the knockout stages anything goes, but doing everything possible to help reduce the travel load on the players, and the fans, would be a good thing.

Brazil is larger than the continental US. Manaus-Porto Alegre are farther apart than Atlanta-LA.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

davecrazy posted:

FIFA loves giving the WC to nations that need to build entire infrastructure for it, huh?

Guess you get more kickbacks and graft that way.

Nah, they're fine with cutting the infrastructure investment if the bribes come through other ways. My hometown in Brazil remodeled 3 stadiums for the world cup (main stadium was going to close, so they remodeled the second stadium for the pro league to use, except the second renovation was delayed and they had to do a third stadium). On the positive side, no one used to know where Belo Horizonte was, but now whenever people look confused when I tell them I am from Belo Horizonte, I can just tell them it is where Brazil lost to Germany.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There's no good guys in football. A lot of the opposition to two year wc cycle are the ones who want either the "UEFA plus Brazil and Argentina" nations league every 2 years, or the "Copa America every break, including US and Mexico." (there's been 4 copa america in 6 years).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Plus, with an extensive knowledge of Geography. Atlanta is apparently very centrally located, which is great for the fans.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
loving lol. I just looked at the division of countries for the 2026 world cup. Concacaf gets the same number as Conmebol. Both Asia and Africa have more slots. Can't wait for Tahiti vs Panama as a world cup match.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bribes gotta buy something if you're trying to get them

Sure, but you'd think that, I don't know, Chile would be more willing to bribe FIFA than El Salvador. Like, if the format was live this year there would have been a Chile x Syria or Chile x Congo playoff for a slot.

It's going to be great when they finally engineer a WQ for the US to win where they dont face a south american or european team until the final.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Much like in Qatar, I suspect the goal there isn't to have a successful event for the masses, but an opportunity for the failkids of the oligarchs to party in the vvip room with Ronaldinho and a bunch of aspiring models.

The equivalent of your average local American nouveau riche paying a celebrity to appear at their social event, but for multi-billionaire sultans.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

JunkDeluxe posted:

FIFA has always been corrupt bastards, but at least for the last WC they were being questioned, and scrutinised for their choices.

It’s worrying that they are now just doing it quite blatantly and gives zero fucks.

I guess we are back to the old discussion, that the only thing which would actually work is if the top10 teams would pull out and start their own association.

Why would the top 10 teams pull out?

I don't know where people get this idea that FIFA is at odds with the big federations when they do poo poo like this.

Like, the main people pushing for Qatar 2022 were Gondrona, Teixeira, Beckenbauer and Platini. AFA, CBF, DFB, UEFA. The maneuvering so that it has to be Saudi Arabia in 2034 was done by UEFA and Conmebol.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I remember on this very thread 10 years ago goons going "FIFA is gonna keep hosting stuff in shady nations because there's no way the US would give fifa all the things it demands."

Turns out those goons were right about FIFA hosting stuff in shady nations. They just were wrong about the US not being shady (or the existence of any non shady nations).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

I think the 2026 World Cup was almost a necessity. It was selected while the charges were ongoing, while there was max scrutiny on the org, and fit into their at-the-time policy of continental rotation. Plus, as has been said before, the 1994 World Cup made buckets of money. If you can't skim off the top with construction contracts, the only other place to make money is TV, ticket sales, and sponsorships, and North America is about as good as it gets from that perspective.

It couldn't be a country in Europe, and no other countries had the guts to put in bids that would be subject to criminal discovery in the (at-the-time) ongoing investigations.

Nah, it wasn't a necessity. They aren't doing this against their interests. The US, like every other nation, is fully onboard with the corruption.
Hell, the US got 2 Copa Americas and the club world cup to boot.

There's no good guys in football, and people are delusional if they don't think the US, UEFA, CONCACAF and Conmebol are fully onboard with this poo poo.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Eh, I don't think it's the US per se, more CONCACAF being CONCACAF. The Copa America thing if def just CONMEBOL/CONCACAF doing their normal grift. The US will gladly host any and all tournaments and won't be doing the usual bribing etc. But it's also the home of giant crowds, tv, and nebulous promoters. It's a lot easier to get paid in the US than in all of the other countries in this hemisphere.

It is very funny to me how resistant American goons are to the idea that the US soccer federation and all the corporations associated with it are just as dirty and corrupt as the rest of the soccer establishment.
Yeah, man, it's totally someone else bribing on behalf of the US.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There was a sports agency called TFM.

You may not have heard of TFM. But you probably remember Traffic, which was what became TFM. Traffic was the agency that was originally from Brazil but moved to the US and got caught as one of the groups bribing everyone to bring Copa America Centenario to the US. Funny how those bribes were needed, when you also had giant crowds, tv, and nebulous promoters. Also, funny how even after uncovering all the bribes Copa America Centenario still went ahead.

In any case, TFM, which used to be Traffic, is now Roc Nation. Because the Jay-Z owned company wanted to "expand its opportunities" in the coming world cup, to be hosted in the US. Busy few summers. Copa America in 2024, club world cup in 2025, actual world cup in 2026.

But yeah, totally, the US doesn't have to bribe anyone, it just makes sense.