Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am pretty sure that it is imperative that there is at least one websense bannable phrase on every page of this thread from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

roflsaurus posted:

I figured this was one of the better threads to ask, but feel free to redirect me if I'm wrong.

I'm a CJ / developer for my small company. We have two Hyper-V hosts that have a few Win2k3 VMs that we haven't gotten around to upgrading (ain't broke, don't fix, etc, etc).

I'm now ready to replace our main virtual file server from 2k3 to 2012 (for a number of reasons). Rather than deal with the butthurt of peoples UNC shortcuts changing and mapped drives breaking, can I do an in-place switch over a weekend and keep the same hostname (lets call it fs01).

I'd rather do a fresh install of 2012 rather than in place upgrade. Lots of cruft on that 2003 box....

i.e.

- Create new 2012 VM but don't join to domain
- Kick everyone off on a Friday night
- Remove 2003 machine from AD and shutdown
- Rename 2012 machine to the new hostname (fs01).
- Join 2012 VM to AD
- Attach VHD from 2003 machine to 2012 machine as readonly (temporarily)
- Copy files to new VHD on 2012 machine
- Re-share all the folders

viola....everything works on Monday? \\fs01\butts will work the same?

Or is there some AD / kerberos stuff I'm not aware of and it will all blow up in my face when people can't get to their butts?

Copying file structure doesn't copy share settings. Apologies if you were already aware.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 3, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Toxteth OGrady posted:

This works a treat, I do it all the time - I love how the final 'thanks' email is always from the one single account :D

CC everyone and respond with "You are welcome. Please make sure to keep me posted of any further issues."

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Holy poo poo that is a sweet deal.

What is even sweeter is that you can setup a catch-all email account and then give out email addresses that don't exist to websites and when they email they come to your catch-all.

e.g. When I sign up for something I use that site name @ one of my domains. Whenever one of these addresses receives mail it comes to spambucket@mydomain. Now I can sort the mail by the sender. I can also create a group that doesn't allow people from the group to send to it to then blackhole the email address if I no longer ever want mail from it. If you want to send out from one of the addresses for some reason, you can just set the account up in outlook or temporarily create it in google apps. I managed to end up with 3 domains with the 200 account limit and am praying that they never take it away.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Lum posted:

I just wish the approach to BYOD was the same as Lowtax's approach to that forum.

To lovingly foster it for around 4 years before finally pulling the plug?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

sanchez posted:

This is kind of the key here, there are edge cases, but it's unlikely the original poster is one of them. I wonder how many people take a Wendys gift card in exchange for overtime for this reason and consider it beating the system.

I am pretty sure that is tax evasion on both the company's and individual's part.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Panasonic laptop? Where the gently caress do you live?

Broken HD = drive over to best Buy, buy a HD/SSD, take a long lunch, come back and re-install Windows.

I would assume that he is dealing directly with panasonic because it is a warranty case.

One thing nice about where I am is that every laptop purchased must have a 4 year no fault warranty. If there is an issue outside of a warranty period it is time to get a new laptop.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

fivre posted:

Either way, content filtering is usually stupid enough on its own, but content filtering by whitelist rather than blacklist? Are you nuts?

We filter by whitelist. I think there are business needs that could dictate that as a best solution.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

RadicalR posted:

I think you should just quit right now and spend all your time YOTJing.

Why quit? Just do the job poorly because it isn't in your job description one assumes. Do it slow and lovely and hopefully they fire you and you can collect unemployment.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Pissing me off today: Super Typhoon Haiyan.

Our tier "zero" internal helpdesk is there, and so it's shut down. Which means we get all these stupid bullshit calls now that we don't normally get.

Or at least, we WOULD be getting them if our incredibly loving ancient Cisco Call Manager [b]Express[/b} (I wish I was kidding) server hadn't taken a digital dump last night and decided it didn't want to talk to active directory any more for authentication.

gently caress this day. :shepicide:

Man that sounds pretty horrible. Sorry that the storm is having such a negative impact :(

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

DagPenge posted:

Finally got a boss that really wants me to use a mac, asked him for something else, showed up this morning to see a macbook pro sitting at my desk. I even have to install parallels and a windows VM on it, since many of the programs I use are windows only, however he insists that I need one since I am a consultant and some of the customers uses mac.

I must admit that leaning a new OS is a major pain, I mean Linux and Windows are kinda similar, or atleast some of the shortcuts are. The lack of control-f to find something or the windows button - "start typing" to search is getting annoying fast. Also switching between active programs is different and thus I have no idea how to multitask effetive now. Even the scroll up and down thing seems difficult to get to appear.

I feel like my ability to work just got reduced by 25% and yet my workload did not, trying to explain this to my boss has not yet succeded, I feel this will be a very long week.

Any tips on how to quickly mastering this OS? Most of what I do involves web interfaces, putty, remote desktop, reading txt and word files with documentation and C5 which is a windows only economy system.

You could use bootcamp and just boot into windows.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Agrikk posted:

gently caress yeah. Wensense is blocking the edit page due to Adult Material. But Quote still works.

I'd love to know what triggered this time.

Quote != edit but sometimes it is all you got.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

That's annoying as gently caress when you're troubleshooting some issue with a vendor and you're on a cell phone because you can't get a desk phone in that closet or whatever.

Get one of those cell extender things you plug into a network port.

Get a cordless phone in the server room and let everyone suffer :devil:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Some CDN's like CacheFly have 100mb files you can try (which won't take long at all on 20mb)

http://www.cachefly.com/

Here's a 1GB test:

http://test.gorillaservers.com/

Really what you could do is get a box with 100mb of bandwidth (whould be very cheap, think Linode or Digital Ocean) and just blast away at it.
I think he wants a test for his upload not download. Not sure I see an upload test of a large size on those sites.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

First day at $newjob was good. I was given two brand new desktops, both with Core i5-3570K processors and 8 gigs of RAM...both with 27" 1080 monitors...one is for the limited Windows stuff we do, the other I could put whatever I wanted on. Yep, I'm liking this.

:swoon:

Windows ME.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It should be a crime to not say how much a job pays.

No, I'm not going to accept a senior DBA/dev position that pays < $40k.

gently caress's sake.

My company has listed in their job descriptions about a laid back work environment where you can play ping pong and pool. The games room was converted into cubicles months ago...

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

The fact that you're still using network shares would piss me off far more. :colbert:

Instead of?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Jeoh posted:

~*~ the cloud ~*~

Business needs prevent us from using The Cloud™ because we have many machines that have access to clinical data and no external internet access, additionally, we have research and medical data that can't leave our site for various reasons. We also have many special snowflake medical applications that want to run as stand alone instances but we can centralize using mapped drives.

There are a huge number of annoyances/limitations with file shares, many that we have run up against, but it seems like there are plenty of legitimate business needs for them.

I won't go into Sharepoint or others since the management overhead and learning curve for our environment vs the payoffs is very lopsided and it isn't a good fit.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 13, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Well none of us have a future with the new company, and they literally could not run the place with out us. I k now this gets thrown around often, but in this case it's true. It would be legitimately catastrophic. And they are ready to quit outright. I am... less so.

But I agree, 99.9% of times, most likely including this one, putting a gun to your own head is a bad tactic.

Six months!?! Hell no, I plan to be out of here in 90 days or less no matter what.

If they/you end you doing it, please follow up because stories like that can be pretty cathartic for the rest of us.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Boss must have gotten bored at 10:39 last night, started emailing me while I was at the bar.

WHY IS THERE A FIREWALL RULE ALLOWING TRAFFIC FROM THE INTERNET TO A MACHINE NAMED 'UBUNTU'

It's a Linux box for testing

WHAT THE HELL FOR

It's useful to have a box outside our internal network for doing tests and ...

WELL WHY THE HELL DOES IT NEED INBOUND ACCESS

Umm in case we have to test outward connectivity from our network to something? Just delete the rule I'm not arguing with you at 10:30 at night.

WHAT ARE YOU HOSTING ON IT?

There's nothing even installed on it.

YOU CAN EXPLAIN IN THE MORNING

No. Just remove the rule. I'm not going to debate with you the things I use to do my job.

Why were you responding at 10:39?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Told the recruiter that got me this job, and another one I was working with last year that I was looking for something else. I have to stick around here at least another 45 days to finish the Exchange migration though.

Why do you HAVE TO stick around for anything?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
This is why you shut up unless you are the HIPAA compliance officer. I deal with HIPAA poo poo all the time and if something seems awry I always kick it to the HIPAA compliance officer to examine and decide. This way I never say something definite about its legality. I do not have specialized training to make determinations and I am not paid nearly enough to.

Also 95% of poo poo that seems like a HIPAA violation probably won't be actioned because the regulations have no teeth. The big penalties and poo poo happen only in cases of gross or negligence, continual non-compliance or willful, malicious acts. The actually IT security side is pretty vague. It isn't as delineated as the various finance laws.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Is it bigoted if I cringe when I place a support phone call and it is picked up by an Indian call center? Is it still bigoted if I don't have any issues with people from India aside from dealing with non-local tech support? Is it still bigoted when the reason I cringe is because of the race to the bottom competition for contracts that goes on there? Just want to make sure.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Went to Italy for a week in April. Leave to Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and Czech Republic for a little over two weeks on Saturday. Probably will go to Armenia and maybe Belarus in the Fall. It is nice to take vacations. If my job didn't let me, I wouldn't work there.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

For me it was never so much that I didn't want to do it - I just couldn't afford to do it. Now that I've got a decent-paying job my first priority is to pay off all the bills that have managed to run up, then build up a emergency reserve, then finally save up some money for vacation. That's going to take at least a year, and I imagine that more poo poo will break down or need replaced in that time frame, pushing me back a little further. I really want to take a couple weeks off to go to Europe, but then I imagine all the paperwork I'd have to fill out in advance and after I come back as part of having a security clearance and I think maybe leaving the country isn't such a great idea (unless I can get on a contract that will relocate me to Europe - that would be great for a couple years).

My ex had TS and she was able to travel without too much fuss. Are you sure it would be bad or just assuming?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Caged posted:

Are there any OEMs that make office desktops with SSDs in yet?

All of them?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Caged posted:

Not on the OptiPlex 9020 or 7010s, the HP equivalents etc.

We deploy HP Elites at my place and just got in like 250 Elite 800 G1 with SSDs. Not sure on Optiplex but I would be amazed if there wasn't a model offering that had SSDs. The markup is generally atrocious though.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm depressed both because your company does that, and because there's really nothing anyone can do about it. 'Merica.

There is something you can do about it. Tell a company that nickels and dimes you on time to go gently caress themselves and work elsewhere. Assuming you aren't a lovely employee that they would be glad to be rid of.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

Citrix environments. Well, just 1. A hospital runs about 90% off this poo poo and only allows 1 session but fails to realize when a session is logged out. We get calls 24/7 on THIS issue. Software company is like :shrug:

Meanwhile, I'm getting fussed at with no fix in sight. :(

You can change a timeout setting to allow disconnects to close rather than hang waiting for a reconnect.

If you manage this infrastructure PM me Monday and I will take a peek at the exact setting. We have ours set to 60 seconds and it works fine. We still have an occasional errant session that still thinks that it is active when it isn't but it is very rare now.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127318

Not sure which version you are using but check that.

To expand a bit, when you have an environment that allows only one session, if your gateway wants to send the user to a different application server than the one they disconnected from, it gives a concurrent connection error if there is still a disconnected session in the pool. You set a timeout to kill those disconnected sessions to avoid the problem.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 19, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I don't get paid enough and it pisses me off daily. I started super super low and have scratched out a minimum 5% raise per annum with as high as 15% some years. I am going in to ask for a 27% bump that will put me at making a little less than twice what I started at 5 years ago and only just what I feel is the correct amount for my experience, responsibilities and area (70k, 7 years, lots that I would rather not detail, Boston).

EDIT: Told that nobody is getting more than 3% and that he understands if I need to go elsewhere.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 29, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

dennyk posted:

Unless losing/replacing you would be a giant pain in the rear end for someone who has real influence over the company purse strings, the only way you're getting a raise that big is to find a new job. I spent about a decade working at a company (well, a succession of companies if you take into account the endless mergers/buyouts) that never gave raises at all; I got a decent bump when I moved from my original company that they bought out to their corporate HQ in another city, and a pretty low (like 10%) raise with a later promotion. When I finally got fed up and left, I was getting paid so little that my new job (which was more or less the same position I was already in) ended up being a 60% pay raise, and it's not like the new company was overpaying or anything (they were pretty much middle of the market curve, while my salary at the previous company literally wasn't even on the graph :v: ). And while my current company doesn't give very big raises, they do give you at least enough to cover cost of living increases every year, at least so far.

Oh yeah the writing is on the wall. We were bought by another company a couple years back and it is clear that they are building up the core business to sell off soon for a profit so things like raises have been declining. It is sad because I do get 25 days vacation and around 12 holiday days a year which is really high in the US.

The only other guy that has shared knowledge is going away on paternity leave for like 6 weeks in October so the timing is going to suck for my coworkers. We all work super well together and are friendly but I don't really buy into the whole loyalty thing if it is at the expense of my finances and family.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 30, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Just wondering here, but how feasible would it be for you and your colleagues to form your own company/partnership and contract yourselves out?

I have discussed it with one of my coworkers. Between us we have 15 years experience in dental IT. We know the ins and outs of all of the various practice management software including backend. I am just super super super nervous about the idea of going on my own and being poor while doing so. There is a large number of private practices around and I do have some connections with dentists.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ironsolid posted:

So I work tech support for an unnamed company. Friday we got a circular email regarding Internet Exploder 10 being released and "how it's going to affect your everyday work experience"

Are you serious? It's going to affect my everyday work EXPERIENCE? From day one, I disproved the development staff for our internal tools. They all stated VERY dramatically that the tools will ONLY work in internet explorer. So, in order to prove them wrong, I pulled up every last tool in Chrome AND Firefox with IE tab. Dumbfounded, they didn't ask a single question, as I was in training and obviously less intelligent and educated than they were, all they said was "it only works in Internet Explorer."

So, I left this whole ordeal be until now. I responded to the email (as we were required to for some... strange... reason... "Not using IE at all is a great option. Use IE Tab with Chrome"

... And then the poo poo starts...

I saw this reply and I about had a fit. What in the hell? Where did that even come from?

At this point I'm wondering if this guy really is an idiot. He obviously can't read to save his life.

I thought that this was a respectful and pretty explanatory response, but the moron keeps on going;

I figured a reiteration of what I had said before and a prompt to re read (I'm sure he didn't read the reply, at all). His final reply took the cake. Absolutely took the cake. I'm not going to be pursuing his job be taken from him and he be fired. This man sloths around the floor sexually harassing the women on the floor. He will literally stand by 2-3 of our agents ALL day long. All of which cannot stand him. Well, it's go time.

This was a pretty good fakepost tbqh.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Outside of the restaurant industry, I have never worked a salaried job where I didn't get overtime (which I could chose to take in time off or have paid in cash).

I work a salaried job where I don't get overtime. I think it is all above board though technically. IT people are often screwed.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

dogstile posted:

Disregard this, I got switched to a new team today after pulling him aside to ask what the hell and pointing out it made no sense for me to be the only first liner in the office when all the others are outsourced.

E: :toot:

Great! What percentage was your raise?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Manslaughter posted:

My company just made it mandatory that you post something to socialcast at least once a week.

gently caress you, social networks, now you're taking over my job too?

Two questions:
Does socialcast have a "retweet" function?
Did they announce this new policy on socialcast?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

We recently updated our ticket system for onboarding new contractors--making network accounts, establishing access, etc. Part of the process is for the requesting supervisor to indicate 1) the start date of the contractor and 2) the end date. Makes sense, right?

I've now seen at least a dozen instances of supervisors putting in the same date for the start and end date. So it winds up looking like:

User's First Day of Work: 8/14/2014
User's Last Day/Termination Date: 8/14/2014

Mind you, these are not one day assignments. These are contractors who are here for up to a year. :psyduck: The tech folks changed the ticket to prevent putting in the same start and end date, so now what happens? Users are putting an end date the day after the start date. For 1- to 6-month assignments.

In every instance where I've asked a user why they did this, the universal reply is "I dunno." Not "I was confused" or "I put a different date, it must be a bug!" Just "I dunno why I did this stupid thing." We are now changing the ticket to require at least a 1-week difference between start and end dates.

You terminate access on the date specified right?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

For some reason the accepted archiving solution here is "move it to an USB drive and put it in the non-fireproof safe in the same server room" instead of leaving it on the mirrored array that's in no risk of filling up anytime soon (especially as we're constantly reducing the amount of servers).. So that if we need to spin up an old VM again, we'd first have to wait a day for it to copy back from the USB drives.

I assume you mean an external spinning platter drive using USB and not a large flash drive.

NAND decay can mean that data is unavailable after being powered down for as little as 8 months.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Greg Jackson posted:

You're a pip
My "job title" is application support specialist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I received this email at 8:40pm last night from our head of construction:

:smithicide:

Just say a bunch of bullshit you will have killed yourself by the time it matters.