Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Spudd posted:

I'm not very good at this creating huge structures thing that some people in this thread are. I just wanted tones of small places that the NPC's could walk to. I've done a bit more work on it and currently NPC's can reach all areas and that makes me happy.
I love seeing the different building philosophies of the people who play this game. Sometimes I see a fella who posts his or her epic castle, and sometimes I see a minimalist apartment complex. Then you have stuff like this where you've got a clustered village but everyone has their own little place.

Me, I'm a very solitary kinda guy. My Terraria buildings are individual houses, some more grandiose than others, separated by more or less the maximum allowed distance between NPCs to prevent daytime spawns, so pretty much the center 1/3 of my map is this vast city of glass, wood, and stone with plenty of grasslands and hills in between. I'll get a screenshot either tonight or tomorrow when my usual host is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fewd posted:

What is this approximate distance by the way? I have no idea how far they spawn, I've just been building on "this probably be far enough" gut feeling.
It seems to be about a 800-1000px distance on either side of each NPC. Keep in mind that this will only work during the day, things will always spawn just off screen no matter the NPC no-spawn zone at night.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bobnumerotres posted:

What should I...be doing? Just keep going up the ores again and fight the bosses? Is there any order I should fight them in?

In whatever order they come to your world to ruin your day :unsmigghh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Does anybody else have trouble with above-ground mushroom farms? The wiki says that the biome doesn't spawn anything nasty outside of hard mode or a blood moon, but then I got eaten alive by a mushi ladybug that did about 50 damage a hit through my silver armor. :gonk:
Yeah, nothing nasty. Mushi Ladybug ain't poo poo, it's just a dumb "charge and jump" enemy. When it says it shouldn't spawn anything big, it means really bad enemies, like spore spitters :shepface:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

I costs two loving platinum, man, that's not something people can trivially afford unless they have huge stocks of money from playing since launch on the same character. And 25 silver a shot.
I'm a fan of the stack-taking glitch another goon posted. Sell a stack of money and then, without closing the window, hold down right-click on an empty square in the merchant's inventory. Once it's ticking at a good speed, quickly mouse back over to your pile of cash. You'll buy it back and it'll often stack a couple extra of that type of coin in there. 100 Platinum Coins in, like, ten minutes, tops.

Some people might not like this method, of course, but when each shot of the Clemtaminator costs that much, can you really afford not to?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Garfu posted:

Fixed in last patch, can no longer sell money.

When was the last patch? The last time we were on was Monday night and I made fat stacks then.

It'll theoretically work with other items too if you use the buyback feature, anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So can someone post a quick summary of the progression of the new content? We beat Plantera, all the 1.1 bosses, have Spectre/Shroomite/Turtle gear, and the Golem was a joke. Is there something in the Dungeon? We did some delving but haven't really gotten anything but for a couple rare drops.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

death .cab for qt posted:

See, he won't do that. I went mining for a while, he was still on the bottom floor. I quit/reload my game, still on the bottom floor. My housing says that it is valid, and his room is even listed with his stupid face on a banner, but he just won't go upstairs. This happened in both my worlds and it is frustrating as hell. :mad:
Do you have a screenshot of the house? I'm getting the impression that your problem might be that your perfect room for your NPC isn't actually fully sealed off from the bottom floor, at which point he'll just populate wherever the gently caress he wants in the contiguous valid housing area.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Keiya posted:

I'm kind of sad that Hamdrax was 'nerfed' to just Drax. Hamdrax is fun to say. More fun than Drax. And now I'll never get to wield one.
I thought Hamdrax sounded like some kind of hillbilly name, so I'm okay with Drax sounding like something out of a Castlevania game from the late 90s.

I'm also okay with not having it accidentally eqiupped and nuking a giant chunk of my houses when I place an item.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I think the wisp looks a little creepy. Kind of like a skull that floats around behind you.

Of course, I have two Amber Mosquitos, so :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RatHat posted:

Is there anything you CAN'T put wire on? Maybe lava?

Wire's caveat isn't that it has limitations on where you can place it, but on how much of it you can put in a single circuit. The cap is 2000, so if you want to make a teleporter between your home base and the dungeon, you'll have your work cut out for you.

v Oh, clever. Too bad it still won't help you find the Jungle dungeon :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 15, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You have to take care if you have Crimson in the world. For some reason, Red changed Corruption and Hallow so they can't infect your Jungle, but Crimson is still exempt from that immunity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

voltron lion force posted:

e: Huh, and I just now noticed he random hallow spot in the middle of the dungeon too.
Most Dungeons aren't 100% dungeon, they have tons of dirt and stone hidden between them. I've mined through the walls to get to some treasure right outside the Dungeon and the music immediately changed and the spawns switched to regular underground enemies, so this isn't that surprising.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Yep, every time you smash a Demon Heart or Shadow Orb a tile of stone somewhere in your world turns Hallowed or Corrupted/Crimsoned.
It has a side bias anyway though, right? It won't just convert some spot right under my base, and it won't drop a tiny pocket of Hallow on the Corruption side of the world?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Logan 5 posted:

yeah, it grows in water iirc. Kinda hard to see too, making it even more of a bitch to find.
Not only in water, but only from underwater overhangs. The beach is right out, you gotta straight-up find a reasonably vast underground lake.

Keiya posted:

This reminds me: is there a way to turn tin bars into tin bricks? I'd been just smelting them before throwing them in a chest, but now I want to build with it...

(Alternatively, a smooth metal material would work too...)
Nope, you can place the bars themselves and get kind of a "vault" thing going on--they act as platforms and I think they count as floors the same way crafted platforms do, but they have to be on solid ground--but you can't build with them in the classical sense and you certainly can't break them down back into ores.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 19, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lone Badger posted:

Who do I have to sacrifice to get Truffle to spawn? I've built him a nice little house made entirely of mushroom (apart from the light source, haven't found a mushroom-based light yet)

Maybe try putting a normal light in the house?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hummingbirds posted:

How often have you guys been getting eclipses? I've only gotten two in the 50ish hours I've logged since the update... and only one broken hero sword out of those :smith:
Did you make a lava trap? That's a pretty good way to get them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Daybloom, however, is used in 8 potions, more than anything else, and includes such popular items as Ironskin, Health Regen, Mana Regen, and Shine. Hands down the king of herbs. Which makes it convenient that it grows so fast and blooms so easily.
Funny thing, I never use any of these potions. It's nice in Mana Regen for casters, but all of its other uses are nullified with Torches (which you should be placing as you explore out of courtesy for your co-op players) and Glowsticks, and then just not getting hit.

I'm big on Healing Potions, though, those'll save your rear end a lot more than a Regen Potion but they also come from Mushrooms. You might be surprised how useful Gravitation Potions are later in the game, too (they work great for sustained mobility against hard mode bosses), and Spelunker Potions will never not be amazing.

Some folks like Battle Potions for grinding, and you need Deathweed for that. Hell, my past few worlds have been my friends and I frantically hoping for a Blood Moon so we can harvest more of the drat stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

crestfallen posted:

You pretty much just build a pit/area that guys can't jump out of. All you need is a tiny covering of lava at the bottom. Add traps to suit.

You can grab the loot from below or the sides of your pit area.
I actually prefer to put a wood platform above the lava pit and hide out underneath it. The AI will aggro downwards into the lava through the platform, but your coins won't get destroyed by your ultimate weapon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Seizureman posted:

I just pulled a blindfold and megaphone from the same mummy. Wow.

Megaphone seems to be a bugged drop and has a chance to happen whenever you get any other status-blocking item.

v Chlorophite, you need at least Hallowed-tier equipment to mine it and get Hallow components from Hard Mode bosses.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 26, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Joke's on you: waterfalls don't kill anyone no matter what they're made of.

They could always just make, like, a pump-based waterfall if they had enough lava. It would eventually poo poo itself due to the way water works, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RatHat posted:

The auto-potion button uses the first potion in your inventory, from top-left to bottom-right. Just keep potions in the top-left so that doesn't happen.
But that's ugly, I wanna keep my potions in the bottom-left :(

Really it should just rank them in order of power and use the strongest one available. If the player wants to use a potion, it's fairly safe to assume that they want to chug the strongest one they have. Mushrooms have screwed me more times than I can count because of the way I sort my inventory (I keep "secondary equipment" under the appropriate number, so primary weapons under 1, explosive digging tools under 2, axes and hammers under 3, and secondary weapons under 4).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GenericOverusedName posted:

My underground jungle happens to have a naturally occurring huge hole, should I just seal off the bottom (it opens into the underworld) and kite Plantera to there? I'm at the point where it's the next thing I should fight.

Plantera likes to despawn in Hell, don't do this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RatHat posted:

Yeah I don't think the water candle will make a difference.
Well doesn't want 15 Pumpkings at once instead of just 10?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The Golem fight is hilariously broken.
Hell, you can out-tank him with a Nimbus Scepter plus a Spectre Set. The fight's design has problems, but I'd honestly rather him just get to the "real final boss" he was talking about wanting to make. Golem would be a pain to fix and while you can cheese it, whatev'.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

So this is our village, but it was like 150,000px wide so I kinda had to shrink it.

When the Halloween Event started, we'd put all our paintings in a box but our friend wanted to decorate so he started taking all our Hallows' Eve paintings and putting them under his house.

Since he was so obsessed with the girl in the painting, we decided to turn his house into a proper shrine.

As for my character I tried making the most retarded fursuit poo poo I could. I'm three Bright Rainbow Dyes short, but I guess this will do for now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kyrosiris posted:

If you care about the boss trophies, they can only drop on wave 15 (which is dumb).

poo poo, how many guys spawn in wave 15? Is it based on the number of players? Because my friends and I have walked away with 10+ trophies of both enemies apiece.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bakalakadaka posted:

You sure can! Turtle armor with a source of regeneration (honey and/or a heart lamp) is best.

You can even go Honey + Heart Lamp + Campfire since they're all separate buffs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cicadalek posted:

Cross necklace is very good for melee. Celestial stone might be good aswell, but I find it really hard to judge the benefit of those "buffs everything" kind of trinkets.
It's actually pretty easy to judge since its buffs are fairly visible if you hover over your equipment with your menu open. It's not a bad accessory at all, but my main problem is that it's purely a numerical buff and it's hard to pass up a gameplay buff like dashing, flight, or nullifying knockback in favor of it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The more I play Terraria, the more I want Red to add in a "utility" accessory slot strictly for items in the GPS tree (Depth Meter, Watches, etc.). It's really nice to always to know your XY coordinates and the time, but not "takes up an entire Accessory Slot" nice.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

EcoBlue posted:

I've got near endgame equipment, but with Starbound being early release, is there any reason to play Terraria anymore?
Yes, Starbound really doesn't feel complete at this point and it's very hard to get attached to any of the worlds you visit. In Terraria, your world is the only one you've got, so you love it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Man, did they ruin their netcode too? I can't do netplay for poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I hope in one of these future updates, they finally flag Jungle as properly immune to Corruption and Crimson, and I also hope they change the Beach biome so it's also unaffected.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The Traveling Merchant sells a fishing rod sometimes :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My problem with the Sniper Scope is that it can screw with your aiming because it jumps to center on your mouse when you fire, then jumps back when you let go the LClick. It's very bad design.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

It's not a big deal, but you might want to post that in PGS just so random pubbies don't show up.

I thought all of Games was paywalled these days so random walk-ins shouldn't be a problem?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm okay with more weapons. The furniture is usually just <mineral> <template>, which is kinda boring. If there was crazy poo poo like... Iron's "unique" ornament is a lamp post. Gold and Platinum make a candle, but nothing else does. I would love more stuff like that, even if it's as small and simple as the candle.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I love making villages, but I tend to put my houses on stilts because if I don't, the guys I play with will just leave all the doors open and everyone dies once night falls.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GenericOverusedName posted:

How fast is it compared to running with frostspark boots?

I'm half tempted to try and set up teleporters to various parts of the world or something, but laying all those wires... :effort:

Laying all those wires is a lot easier than you might think. It seems kinda daunting, but the fact that you can place them through walls makes it sooooooooo much easier than building train tracks or whatever. As for Frostspark Boots, running is somewhat slower than using train tracks. It might be different if you laid down some asphalt.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

Golden Shower used to have infinite piercing, which murdered the Destroyer, but doesn't anymore, so this might be part of it. But melee is just a pretty bad choice for fighting bosses in general in this game.

You can still cheese the Destroyer since it has a limited vertical range and will eventually jump almost straight up at you if you build a little box in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe ranged too, but I've never really used the guns so I dunno how well they actually work.

Guns are fantastic for hardmode bosses, but the while the Clockwork AR is strong enough for the new enemies, it has the unfortunate side effect of being hugely bugged so if you're using any kind of ammo more special than Silver Bullets, the effects won't proc and half your shots will just clip harmlessly through the enemies.

• Locked thread