Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
We have video of Grant's costume in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSj-zkPAKkE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Well, as footage shows, he can actually move in the suit, certainly enough to do the whole 'bend his arms and run' thing, which is expected to be the majority of action one assumes. Head turning however still needs to be validated. Maybe he should talk to Bruce Wayne about it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Alternatively this could be a pre-insanity Harley - ie, in her Harleen days, assuming its not just a whole new character. Though if she did become Harley in the show, they could always make a reference along the lines of her escaping and potentially heading to Gotham City. Doubts about how well she would survive, because who in the world would look out for her in a city like that?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I doubt they would take this route (assuming than is Harley) since she's locked with high profile criminals already.

I meant after any given story arc in show might end, and then alluding to her first encounter with Joker down the line.

Or not, the show has played some curveballs.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

He might be thinking of this one storyline from before the New 52 kicked in where basically the descendants/legacy characters of the Rogues from the future came back to try and take down Barry. Otherwise though, yeah, the Rogues are basically just a bunch of guys who lucked themselves into highly advanced technology, at least in most cases (and even in the New 52, the integrated powers thing is only after they already had the tech, and doesn't even stick with all of them).

I will say though, the Flash series probably has a lot more room when it comes to introducing superpowered characters than compared to Arrow. It was a similar kinda deal with Superman TAS after Batman TAS - though there were rare exceptions, the latter was considered too ground level/serious to go completely out there with the more fantastical characters that could appear in the DCU. So when the team got to do Superman of all characters, they realised that same issue no longer applied so hard, if at all. As a result, we got Lobo, Green Lantern, Doctor Fate, Steel, the Legion of Superheroes, the Flash, and just in general it laid probably more of the real groundwork for the DCAU because Superman was free to interact with the more out there elements. So CW could do this with Flash as well, though they also may not.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

greatn posted:

Batman still has some pretty fantastical characters like Clayface and Poison Ivy that were not really grounded in any kind of reality.

Yes, but they're also part of his villain cast, which gives them a pass. The closest Batman got prior to the airing of Superman TAS (and thus not counting the Creeper from the New Batman Adventures) was Zatanna, and even she was non-powered in her one appearance.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The thing with Deathstroke is that he's kinda been tossed about the DCU, especially with the last decade where he got popular again (very likely in part due to the Teen Titans cartoon). Its had both its boons and its downsides, since on the one hand, when written well, he's a good counterpart for a lot of characters really, and is really easy to excuse into most storylines - he's a merc and all, so all someone needs is to pay him. On the other, when written badly, he's basically a villainous version of Bat-God, and that gets tired really fast in most cases.

Honestly, though, a lot of Green Arrow's bigger villains are either archers (which you can only do so many of before it becomes stale), have been co-opted from other heroes, or have been taken from him. Grundy is probably the most notable people think of when it comes to his superpowered foes, due to a story arc where basically Grundy decided to take a nap in the Arrow Cave and didn't take kindly to being woken up. But before that, Grundy was a Green Lantern villain. Not Hal Jordan and his lot either, but golden age Alan Scott. Seriously, cast transition in the DCU can get weird.

That said, Grundy as a villain for Green Arrow would... actually in a way work more on Arrow than it has in other media. Because one thing that Ollie has done a lot of if and when he needs to (or just generally prefers), is kill his enemies. But Grundy, being a super strong undead guy and all, wouldn't be put off by lethal methods. It would force Ollie to think further on how to take him down, rather than just a well aimed shot or two to the chest.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Ravane posted:

Oh, ok. They all branched off into their own story lines after a certain amount of popularity, then? Do they still make anthology books with lesser known heroes?

The answer is... sort of. Action Comics for example is still around, but its done less as a full anthology book, and more part of the extra space in DC's storage room of story ideas. Sometimes this means a full story arc that would otherwise take away the spotlight from whatever they're trying to run in the other Superman comics (ie, when they revamped Superman's origins, but thats five years in the past whilst the Superman comic is meant to be 'the present'), other times it means a standalone story that can't really crossover (like with Action Comics #9, wherein we see the Superman of Earth 23 - who is black, and the president of the USA - go about saving the day on his world).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Unfortunately, the chances of the Question appearing, at least in a traditional sense, is pretty darn unlikely. The New 52 bumped him up into being a pseudo cosmic entity alongside the Phantom Stranger (and both are now criminals punished by wizards to serve mankind in penance), so unless DC forgets the entire point of what an adaptation see-

Nevermind, odds are still good.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A brief write up of Amell's panel at the ECCC

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51826

He's the raddest dude on the planet :swoon:

Also confirms that they have indeed consciously abandoned the whole 'no powers' rule they initially went in with. Hopefully this means we get big bad and gruesome Grundy coming at some point, and others.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

The new powers better god drat include Ollie improvising an arrow with a boxing glove on it. :argh:

I'd even settle for a brass knuckle tipped arrow, if you want to be more grimdark realistic.

Clearly there needs to be a scene where he's in a boxing club, down to his last arrow, and the tip is broken. He tries to find something, anything else to fit on the end, and inspiration strikes...

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I love the fun the modern writers have had with the BGA. There's another scene at the end of Winnick's GA run where Canary shows up and Ollie pulls the BGA out and it's such a fun moment.

Not to mention in Justice League, where his son (long story) had to raid the weapons museum for something to use against the bad guys, and picked up some of Ollie's trick arrows. End result, he was both awed and slightly disturbed at how much of a mad genius the man had to be.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Am I the only one laughing at the fact he used Marvel lego pieces?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

More to the point, when the rings pick out new recruits, they go 'Person of X, you have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

So yeah, its a joke on how a certain Ferris aircraft pilot gets to qualify for a job as a space cop.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

They have hope powered Lanterns, and it seems to me that hope is the opposite of fear. But in the comics it's the opposite of rage, which doesn't make any sense, shouldn't that go to the love powered Lanterns? at least compassion being the opposite of greed works

The emotional spectrum isn't quite actual opposites, but each has various properties that can bounce off some of the others. The blue light of hope weakens both red rage and orange greed, because it soothes the former and offers a better tomorrow, whilst for the latter hope gives dreams and aspiration that override the selfishness of greed. Its also the most powerful of the seven basic lights, because hope is the power and desire for miracles.

At least, that's the logic the comics run on.

The love ones (Star Sapphires) meanwhile kinda run both ways, in that they can be both the good 'power of love' archetype that was at the heart of many a magical girl series, or axe crazy 'lovers scorned', obsessed with a very twisted ideal. They formed out of the latter but started shifting over to the former, especially as members question the logic in being about love when they weren't, well, actually fostering, supporting and encouraging love. When it goes all out, it can use the bonds that people have with each other to ensure they are not taken apart - even by death.

The Indigo Lanterns... can actually be kinda twisted, because for a while, if you ended up part of their Corps, compassion was forced on you. You became so concerned with everyone and everything else you lost all sense of personal being.

Things have shifted since then, but I stopped reading the GL books after the New 52 hit.

That said, I would actually like to see a GL show maybe spinoff from either Arrow or the upcoming Flash series. Both to redeem the concept to mass audiences, but also just to definitely cement the idea of a TV universe that DC and CW can get going.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

What happens in Birds of Prey?

Oracle, aka Barbara Gordon and formerly Batgirl (till the New 52 changed things about), was disabled from the waist down as a result of DC making canon a Batman one-shot in which she was shot by the Joker. Gail Simone brought the character back to relevance by having it turn out, in order to make herself of use since she obviously couldn't go hopping about rooftops anymore, Barbara had dedicated herself to learning computer technologies inside and out, and as a result, had pretty much become the world's greatest hacker. Regularly through the series she had to deal with opponents who abused her lack of mobility against her (though as she points out, that doesn't render her entirely defenseless), and occasionally the emotional issues - that she's largely gotten past, but still crop up considering her usual kind of company - are commented on.

There was also a sweet moment in a Batgirl/Batman and Robin issue where Dick Grayson (then Batman) got together a special harness to keep Barbara's legs together, so that, with his supervision, she could pull some acrobatics on a trapeze without worrying too much on losing control. Just have some fun and all.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Xealot posted:

Perhaps, but not all comic books - even those about vigilantes - are so centrally about the violence and militarism that Arrow is. (e.g. Spider-Man is a vigilante hero, but although his arc is informed by loss, it isn't about how he is battle-hardened after years of torture.)

I don't think it's any coincidence that the character they created for the show, John Diggle, is an Afghanistan veteran who "gets" Ollie in a way his civilian friends and family can't. The show's heroes and villains are people who experienced war and transformative violence overseas, who then brought that pain and anger back with them to inflict it on Starling City. They're literally turning the city into a battlefield because it's all they know.

If this IS deliberate, it'd be interesting to see the potential contrast compared to Barry, assuming the latter is relatively close to his comic book outlook (though the writers say he may be more cynical underneath a bright demeanor, whilst Ollie is broadly the opposite). I figure Barry would take issue somewhat with the idea of doing things the way Ollie does, at least on a personal level, which could make an eventual crossover of the two again interesting. Plus, easy excuse to give us the obligatory 'two superheroes meet, FIGHT' on TV.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

...so a random thought occurs to me, dunno if anyone else has brought it up before, but...

What if the stuff with Mirakuru, aside of easing in superpowers, has been a longer effort to prepare for Miraclo? Like, have it developed as a variant or substitute that say, only lasts an hour...

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, they're working on an Hourman TV show and the description has him with the ability to see an hour into the future, not that he gets superpowers for an hour at a time.

Drat. I knew about the first part, but not the second. Suppose its still using one of his abilities, although... now that I've fiund the description they had, they mention the pharmaceutical angle. Could be a way to work it in still, but...
Eh, who knows, That's So Raven with superheroes could still work. Certainly easier on the effects people.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

As far as I know the thing is still super early in pre-production so who knows what they're going to end up doing with it. Its going to be a CW show so you'd assume they'd tie it into Arrow/Flash in some way.

Aye, which is why I wondered if they have possibly already slipped in some setup for it. I mean, the way it currently is, they'd have enough leeway to go either way - make Miraclo out of the drug, or keep the two storylines utterly separate to focus on the whole 'sees an hour into the future' thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I think what irks some people in general with DC trying to apply the dark and gritty formula is when they try to apply it to heroes more because it succeeded with Batman, than it making sense for the characters in question. Not helped for those who liked Batman himself in Non-Nolan styles, but find their voices drowned out by the choir of dark and gritty being superior - Batman The Brave And The Bold literally dedicated a segment on an early episode to defending itself for daring to be more silver age in tone.

I think fortunately enough though, the writers on Arrow do seem aware - at least to some degree - that just because something worked for Batman, doesn't mean it makes sense for Green Arrow. Ollie starts the series as a wannabe, obsessive vigilante who thinks that taking out every big named criminal (albeit it in a list) will help his city, but mainly is just out to fulfill his father's dying wish. It doesn't take long for Diggle to point out that with his resources, and his willingness to skirt the law anyway, he could be helping people in general. And since then we've had this gradual progression, with Ollie sometimes taking some steps forward, and other times taking several back, with hopefully an end point of becoming the guy we all know and love.

They certainly aren't likely to have their iteration of the Flash start out a dark knight imitator either (unless the supposed upcoming trailer proves me very wrong), because unlike other superhero productions right now, they've got the scarlet speedster smiling in his promotional material. Really doesn't seem like they're pitching a brooding anti-hero.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Senerio posted:

The most definitive movie version of any comics character comes from The Spider-Man Trilogy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mVQPT6bT0

That said, I didn't like the Dark Knight Trilogy. They were good movies, but the more people talk about them being the best thing ever the more I want to see the animated series again.

I do think that Ollie in this is growing to become his comics self, which is, what I feel the point of this show should be. (As was what I thought the point of Smallville was. It probably would have been if there wasn't that "No Tights no Flights" rule).

I find the movies a decent experiment within themselves, its just when they subsequently start affecting the rest of the Batman material - and so many other superheroes - that it frustrates me. Just because those films were dark and gritty, doesn't subsequently mean that everything involving Batman has to be dark and gritty in order to work, or that every dc hero project should attempt to give itself the same 'realistic' veneer. I mean, we've kinda seen the effect with Arrow, and its part of why its been discussed about how exciting it is that the rule against superpowers has been relaxed as the show has gone on, and certainly outright tossed aside with whats happening to Barry now.

Though my ultimate hopes still lie with Solomon Grundy rising from the grave as a nigh-unstoppable zombie.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Did we have a show logo before? Because that's a pretty great logo.

We had a very basic one both from the earlier teaser image, but also Grant Gustin and co showing bits behind the scenes whilst in pre-production. I like the current one though - its got that kind of 'similar but different' feel when you lay it next to the Arrow logo. Arrow's comes in comparatively slow, solemnly, against a dark backdrop, and the logo itself is styled after hardened metal. The Flash's appears to be nigh-instant in its appearance, has a far brighter look across the whole thing, and seems more... exotic energy like? Not sure if that's the right way to say it, but its trying to feel far more super than Arrow's title.

zoux posted:

That looks more like Jay Garrick speed than Barry Allen speed. By that I mean, conceivable rather than send-you-back-in-time-to-reset-the-future fast.

Alternatively, Wally West post-Crisis. Either way, something where like, 'cruising speed' is some hundred miles an hour, which is enough to dodge bullets from across a room, but still be caught off guard by stuff.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

hcreight posted:

New preview clip:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=399235166881188

Nothing particularly spoilery. Lyla's back, the cure worked as intended on Roy.

Looks like Ollie is gonna be working more on the transition to a different moral approach. Should make how he finally solves the issue of Slade rather interesting.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I still can't believe how hyped up I am from the Flash trailer. Barry is just excited to have his powers, it seems like he could have some comedic contrast against Ollie, and possibly the best bit? The super speed isn't just blur. When the arrow is flying at the target, if you pause it bit by bit, you can actually see Barry's motions as he catches the arrow. Still a little awkward when he comes to a stop with the arrow in hand, but if that effect improves, then holy hell, I think they've cracked how to do definitive super speed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

How is it established he's slower than a bullet?

You can sorta gleam it from how fast he seems to be in relation to the arrow, plus despite presumably trying to catch it as fast as he can, no sonic boom.

Mind you, the show itself could aways go with the angle of him being able to reach supersonic speed if he really pushes it - for dramatic purposes and all - and whilst he doesn't appear to be as fast as a bullet, he's clearly fast enough that he'd be able to dodge them - it'd be the rough equivalent of someone stepping out of the way of an oncoming car or train - he just needs enough distance to react.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

It seems they really focused on trying to get the super speed, at least from an outside perspective, to look right, even if some of the other CGI (Ollie's swing, good god) had to get less attention as a result. Still, count me as psyched - they seem to going 'you wanted superheroes eh? WELL HERE THEY ARE' and it is amazing. The whole idea of Star Labs leaking all kinds of exotic energies and matter into the world sets up nicely for a wide variety of potential villains or plots (though I agree with the sentiment some stuff should exist for other reasons rather than only because of it). and they're taking the idea the 90s had of Barry actually having people who help him test out his abilities and provide the suit. It really sets up a nice parallel for how Ollie began really - Barry had an awkward, at times struggling life, and lost his parents when he was young instead of as an adult, but he nevertheless was already helping people, and then in a random act, has his life transformed into something amazing, and is approached by others to make good use of it. Ollie lived the high life, only lost his father (backstory wise) in adulthood, the victim of a scheme, and when he came back, he had prepared to deliver a solitary vengeance on those who poisoned his city.

Speaking of though, I kinda hope it turns out Ollie pops in more because he heard Barry was out of the coma and wanted to say hi, and the whole 'weeeell, thought about being a superhero?' stuff more ends up just a bonus of the chat.

Edit: And yes, that taxi gif. I love it because when you stop to realise this is likely all pilot footage, Barry is already saving people from episode one, even in just brief, random moments like that. He's a drat superhero and I love it.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 15, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, small promo with the taxi clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0IydEba1oY

Editing is awkward in some spots, but still.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Alternatively, every time they think to call Barry for help - 'He can be here in a couple of hours!' - they turn on Channel 52 news to find Barry busy with some new supervillain - 'Nevermind that then.'

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I hope this doesn't bring down the wrath of Deadpool, but what comics do you think the Flash team will be drawing inspiration from?

The arrow team really seemed to draw from the 90s incarnation of Oliver Queen, with a pretty strong dash of Longbow Hunters in the early going.

But that time period was basically owned by Wally West, and my only exposure to the character was in a few JLA runs.

My flash knowledge comes almost entirely from the Justice League cartoons, and this summer feels like a good time to drip my toes back into the water.

Seems to be a mix of The Flash Rebirth, which was a pseudo-reboot of Flash continuity by Geoff Johns and is where Barry's backstory is drawing from, the 90s TV show for his cooperation with Star Labs crew + the van (I know, not a comic, but your question is generally about the source material), the Wally West era with his powers appearing to cap at just sub-sonic and the uncertainty issues, plus the New 52 where the rogues actually have their powers tied into them (though for reasons that have since been handwaved off in some cases).

At least that's what I can gleam.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

I'm sure the main baddie for season 1 would be Zoom, no? I mean, some gears would turn in Barry's head where he'd go "hmmm, some guy who can do what I can do killed my parents 10 years ago."

He'll probably be investigating it throughout.

I just hope the police in Central City aren't complete and utter fuckups. it'd be nice to just see a police force trying to cope with things beyond normal human abilities, rather than just being utterly stupid, like in Starling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zoom was actually saved for much later. Like, shows up when Barry is in full swijg by a second season or whatever. Or that perhaps if he does appear sooner, it doesn't tie back to the death of Barry's mother. Instead, they could build on it, demonstrating a growth to both Zoom's powers and insanity before he decides he'll finally get his revenge by doing the deed.

Though as to that last point...

Bad Moon posted:

Ollie's gently caress ups stemmed from being an antisocial amoral badass who let his personal relationships cloud his judgement as those relationships were what were keeping him human in his eyes.

Barry is a naive idealist who has no loving clue what he's doing and no emotional hardening to soften any mistakes

Tons of ways for him to gently caress up and it's going to rule

Do remember that Barry's a cop, and a forensic scientist at that - dealing with dead bodies is kind of his thing. What I woukd say is that Barry would more have to deal with the fact he has actual responsibilities beyond his self appointed defense of the city. Or even then, have that overlap - since catching criminals was already his job, wouldn't he be way more liable to guilt if he were to screw up and let someone get away, whether as Barry or the Flash, and it then cost someone else? It wouldn't just be failing to perform, but that he did so and that's the entire point of his career. Even worse if he has abilities that should have let him get it done 'in a Flash'.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drifter posted:

Well, I would think the Flash persona would be more likely to have people die in front of him, rather than he as an investigator seeing dead people after they were killed, regarding the weird hero worship thing Bad Moon was trying to bring to the table with his comment.

Aaaaah, now I getcha. Apologies for not realising, since its actually a good point and something worth examining. I mean, you could even have someone outright claim he should just be fine from seeing dead bodies a bunch (as I somewhat shortsightedly did), and then him counter that its not quite the same thing.

Speculation as all hell, but it serves as even more contrast to Ollie. Ollie saw death in front of him, whether by his hands or by others, waaaaay before he got off the island. Barry? Not so much.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

^^^^Exactly. I don't automatically want Flash to have the same tone as Arrow but seeing how each reacts to growing as a hero will be great

Yeah, Barry may be a forensic scientist (which isn't the same thing as a cop despite what CSI says) there is a big difference between seeing a corpse at a crime scene after the fact and somebody dying in front of you because you zigged when you should of zagged or god forbid a guy like Slade yelling CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE :black101: then putting a sword through your mom.

Ollie went through 5 years of hell so he's well I don't know if used to it is the phrase but better equipped. Seeing Barry deal with it will be a good contrast between the shows if they do it right.

And I just realised, this could perfectly set up a line to be referenced from the comics, but also establish how Barry might face the world differently from Ollie.

"Nobody dies."

Airplane jumps optional.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Is it weird that I'm mostly okay with Thea season 1? I mean, aside of the drug abuse and such - which everybody calls her out and gets a whole episode because drugs are bad - her attitude doesn't seem that out of line for a teenage sibling, especially one with a fairly turbulent background life like she has. Then again, I have a sister who's a couple years younger than me (and Thea, but eh) who can have her moments over seemingly quite petty things as well, so maybe I'm just tolerant towards that kind of attitude?

As for Lance, I thought his aesthetic and behaviour was more meant to be shorthand for 'overworked and overstressed', and the kind of guy who take several coffees just thinking it'll help him through. Then again, one would otherwise think there'd be a contrast of him in downtime, but given his role most of the time is to be 'the cop'...

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I still think that despite what Guggenheim claims, Mirakuru is going to end up being involved in the Hourman series, eventually becoming the safe version Miraclo.

I knew wasn't the only one who saw a potential connection!

mikeycp posted:

It is exactly this. It's converting "Miracle" into sounds the Japanese language can make. It is easily my least favorite thing about this show.

It also demonstrates the kind of 'if its said in Japanese these way, it must be that way Romanised!' logic that exists in parts of the anime fan. See also: Hellsing, where many fans render the main character's name as Arucard, even though even the mangaka has noted its meant to be a reverse of Dracula, and thus, Alucard. Its not even like its the only case of fiction pulling this idea.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Also, I'm sure someone else knows, but can someone name a TV or Movie where the main character thought it was the coolest thing ever to suddenly have superpowers? Barry had a whole 4 seconds of worry before he figured it out and decided to go have some fun.

Both Spider-Man's had some element of it, where after the initial freakout, the characters go about testing their abilities and having some fun. As DDD mentioned, Fantastic Four has Johnny being so enthusiastic about it he spontaneously gives the team their costumed names. Superman and Superman Returns had the idea that, whilst he has to keep them secret and all, when he does get to use them (on the wide, open farm with barely anyone around) Clark just enjoys himself so much, because he's doing incredible things like leaping tall buildings in single bounds and outrunning trains.

So, a few more than you'd think, but still.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

And according to this, there's also Firestorm, a chance to brighten up the costume later on (ala Ollie getting a mask), and that 'half the Justice League' will appear on the show. I would personally note that Firestorm was part of the League post an expansion in the New 52, as was the (female) Atom, so they might count towards that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

So I guess we may see Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman if it's "half" of the Justice League?

J'Onn is not and has never been part of the League as part of the rebooted continuity (I know, its really, really dumb), instead doing time with Stormwatch (before they were erased from history or something, I forget), before being a founding member of the Justice League of America. And is now going to be part of the Justice League of Canada. I'm not joking.

Of course, I also wouldn't be surprised if DC shot themselves in the foot for iconography over relevancy to what they're actually selling (mind you, its good iconography), so yeah. I would probably imagine at least one of them being Cyborg, if anybody. Victor's enhancements are a creation of tech stored with Star Labs as of the New 52, and it was used as the means to intro Barry in the Justice League: War animated flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm thinking Hal since his friendship with both Barry and Ollie is very iconic and we have the Ferris Aircraft's easter eggs.

By that logic Firestorm doesn't counts as being part of the JL since he has never been a founder member.

He has been briefly part of it in the new continuity, if that ends up the likely measuring stick for League counts, but as you say, probably not since he's not a founding member in any continuity.

It still annoys me that we're close enough to the reboot its hard to tell if they'll draw on the older, more popularly known version of the team, or if they'll shift to the model after.

Edit:

Aphrodite posted:

Justice League Canada is just the name of the story arc. They're Justice League United.

Apologies then. I knew it was the title of the book, but wasn't aware it was their in universe name as well.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 19, 2014

• Locked thread