Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Boo to the guy dissing on Gen 1.

And for you all that don't care about transfers your phone with an emulator acts as a free gb-gba. You also get the benefit of x2 speed which helps a lot with the slow speed of the originals. I played all of yellow and Ruby with animations over the last two weeks and it was badass.

My critique of yellow is that since you get all of the starters there isn't much motivation to catch a bunch of mons and makes the game feel too easy. I would play red or blue if I were to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Ruggington posted:

Weird, my wishlist goes:

*literally the opposite of these things

Funny how life works out sometimes

After just discovering Pro I will be severely disappointed if Sun/Moon isn't the start of the official Pokemon MMO revolution.

It is crazy how much Nintendo has dropped the ball on innovating, and advancing Pokemon to the modern era of gaming.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Dabir posted:

Lol whatever the gently caress the modern era of gaming is, crowbarring a decades-old singleplayer RPG series into a poo poo MMO isn't the way to be part of it. Are you one of those massive weirdos who thought ESO was a good idea?

It is a general statement you jackass. It has been 20 years, and Nintendo has done barley anything with one of the most successful franchises ever, other than reskin crap dungeon crawlers/candy crush. The main series are fine, and all, but we could have had way more interesting spin-offs if another company was handling it. I'm not saying PRO is amazing or anything, I probably won't play it, but it just highlights the potential the franchise has that hasn't even been explored.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I can vouch for this. I spent last week researching and collecting items for breeding as well as catching Dittos with the DexNav. It took roughly two evenings after work to find half a box full of 2+ IV Dittos with various natures. The rest of the time was spent collecting the items.

This week I have spent one night each day breeding each member of my team. I now have 3 5IV members, with the fourth coming tonight. It's dead easy.

I will say I'd rather have not IVs at all though. I feel like Poke-Hitler just dumping all the impure bloodlines into the gas chamber PC box. It really takes the charm out of the game.

Wonder trade them into the open arms of little child you monster!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

qnqnx posted:

Pokemon started being good in gen 4 and the ones before that are boring af

Said someone stupid.

Bam! What a burn.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Bugsy's Syther is one of the most memorable gym battles. Unless you start with the fire starter like a bitch.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Dammit goons, now I'm sad.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Man, a gen with full availability would be great, but yeah that totally won't happen because box exists so it's not like you even need two systems to transfer, and how else could they sell you more games? :v: Although ORAS did a decent job on legendary availability, I'm honestly a bit surprised by it.

Event pokemon in general are just lame. I've said it before but I wish they would be tied into stuff in game. Deoxys going from "Gen 3's Mewtwo that isn't actually in the game" to what he is in ORAS was pretty awesome.

I'm still seriously disappointed about the every-other-month event pokemon only at gamestop in limited supply. That's kind of lame thing to when they're making such a big deal out of it being the 20th anniversary. The online distribution thing is fantastic! Just do that! Have some other crap at gamestop.

But don't you see?!?! MONEY!!!!!!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Or how many Gen 1 pokemon were just "object with a face".

what?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder what the odds are on SunMoon saddling you with even more useless lumps the game wants you to call human friends.

Ugh, please not. I want a rival who i hate, but love crushing. That is all.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

So, the big news is there will be big news next month!!!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

The new legend is awesome. It is like those robits from the elder scrolls games.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Pikachu is usable for the entire game, but it really falls apart towards the end. You usually rely on it to outspeed stuff and use Thunder Wave, which saved my rear end in a number of battles. But starting from Blaine, you uh kinda got outspeeded and then one shot.

Still, you just can't help but grow attached to the drat thing and it feels a little weird to play Yellow without the rat following you all the time.

No..No it doesn't. Pikachu has 2 uses in Yellow.

1. To help you catch a caterpie.

2. To get that lady to fork over Bulbasaur.

Then you put it in the box, and enjoy the rest of the game.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Look, guy, pokemon is an easy game. Extremely easy. And pikachu has a cute sprite while it follows you around. So you keep the pikachu.

I'm sorry I don't buy into this pika propaganda. The little rat who refuses to live up to it's full potential sits in the box. It's that simple. There is a world of pokes who would love to join my team, and help me become the best there ever was.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Raichu is and has always been 10x as cool and adorable as Pikachu.

Raichu is the real Chu!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

The disconnect between the games and the show that I disliked most is that in the show the lower evolutions had just as much potential as the last stages. If I want to roll with bulbasaur the whole time I shouldn't be punished. Make him faster but with less attack or something like that.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

mabels big day posted:

That guy who said he was leaking stuff from the new games a couple days ago, was he just full of poo poo or has he just not done it yet

bs

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Is the link to bulbapedia not in the op or something?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

if it's Poke-Spain, I hope the enemy teams are secretly bankrolling the region's sports teams, giving them influence, money, and a huge front for their illegal operations. Just like real Spain and FIFA :v:

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I can't believe that Durant was ejected from the weekend's tournament for using Foul Play.

This is good stuff.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

oddium posted:

zygarde is cool, check yourself

Zygarde is awesome....all the other forms are dumb as hell. The dog would be cool if it wasn't part of the hosed up chain, and the final form is just really bad looking. It looks like some reject power ranger villain.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Easily this loving garbage. Take one of the best original pokes, and turn it into this abomination.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

This is the best answer I found.

"When Flaaffy evolves into Ampharos, the pokemon will shed it's wool. The newly evolved Ampharos will then pick up the wool and fashion it into a hat. If the hat is fabulous enough, it will attach to the Ampharos's head and the great Dragon Gods of Fashion will smile down upon the electric sheep, taking the pokemon as one of their own."

Though..

" Denryu. Ryu=current, Ryuu=Dragon. Amphy´s japanese name means "Electrical current"."

So ryu is close enough to dragon that they made it dragon.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Is a fox representing a dog really such a stretch for some of you?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Classtoise posted:

A bit late, but

Foxes and dogs have completely different mythologies and representations in cultures around the world. It's not like a shrew or a vole who has no real "identity". Foxes and dogs are clearly presented differently! The only time there's any crossover is the Eeveelutions, and it's literally just Espeon.

:colbert:

A shrew and a vole aren't even in the same Order though.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

The genies are objectively the worst.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

I'm not defending the pixies or anything but the genies were boring.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Solumin posted:

New leaks of Gen VII pokemon:

[X]

I kind of want Fullenglish for my av.

Fullenglish should be real.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

http://jb2448.info

This seems to be most of the series. I've never read them before so hopefully they stick around, because I can't justify spending a ton of money on them.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Special is pretty sweet. 5 chapters in and 2-3 pokemon have legit died.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Don't worry, they'll quickly undie, because nothing and no one stays dead in PokeSpec.

Oops, graveler totally busted into a million pieces but one trip to the poke center and he is ok. (Poke centers are magic)

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Double post. Special is still super cool still. Pokemon should have aged better with me. I want to watch the anime past red/blue but I just cant.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Explain why. In 50 words or less which shouldn't be a problem.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Ruggington posted:

cute monsters for children pandering to a higher age bracket loses the entire point

Aging doesn't mean it necessarily has to curse or have blood but watching an idiot build up for failure 6+ times is pretty disheartening.

This is coming from someone who has watched og and half of johto like 5 times. I just feel the original season had a deeper tone.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's nostalgia my friend

You are right but....but...but....

Special does seem better though as a 30 something....though I won't let go of season 1. Ok shut up! I'm just going to watch season 1 again.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

less laughter posted:

The only surprise is Heracross

Choice scarfed heracross is a monster. It has a big enough defense to take a single hit of most anything not fire/flying.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

You are all so so wrong. Gen 2 team rocket is the best villain team to date.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Pretty accurate. Aggron should be higher, but I made sure heracross got the nod.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Dabir posted:

Charge your phone.

I had pokemon to rate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I just found my copy of GBA Sapphire and it's box, is it worth selling now or should I wait a couple of years?

Ya, your old gameboy games aren't going to be worth poo poo, until long after you have died, and they are considered relics.

• Locked thread