Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

^^^ Fox has those, so Universal getting Namor is even more peculiar.

That's still 8 years ago. Fox and Sony both have to put out stuff every few years or something like that. I think the longest they can go is 10? I mean, Fox did that early 90's FF movie just to keep the rights refreshed and then never released it, didn't they?

Maybe Marvel is letting things slide because I'm pretty sure Universal Studios being bought out by NBC and NBC being bought out by Comcast all happened in the last eight years. Extenuating circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know poo poo about the situation, but I guarantee you being nice has nothing to do with it

And yet Marvel was willing to give FOX an extension on the Daredevil franchise in exchange for Galactus and Silver Surfer.

Furthermore, I never said Marvel was being nice, I said they were letting it slide. If they have no immediate need for Namor why press the issue? Especially when there exists the possibility that they can get him back for nothing? Disney didn't buy back the rights to Daredevil, Punisher or Ghost Rider.

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel is owned by Disney now, Disney doesn't "let things slide" when it comes to IP rights.

I'm well aware Disney owns Marvel and they have all the money in the world, but they can't buy the rights back if the studio doesn't want to sell. See: Spider-Man. See: X-Men.

My point was perhaps Universal was following along the X Movie every Y Amount of Time formula, but then they were bought out by NBC who in turn was bought out by Comcast. It has nothing to do with corporate pleasantries or money, but rather movie rights changing hands twice in eight years has so far prevented them from finishing a movie.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Absolutely. TNG worked because it was episodic fun silly stuff. DS9 started taking itself horribly seriously and attempting the most godawful long-running plotline I've seen in science fiction. They also attempted and failed miserably at having shades of grey in this ridiculous, boring, bogged down conflict of theirs. Then the final season had a stupid magic book? It was a living nightmare.

I like you. You have good Star Trek opinions.

I don't see how any one can complain about AoS spinning it's wheels when every episode has built off the last.

Quick - who killed Sarah? What important piece of story did we get from Felicity meeting her mom? How many seasons did it take to finally kill Olicity?

Season 3 Arrow wishes it was Agents of Shield.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

It's like most of the talent from Arrow evaporated and then condensed over the Flash writer's room. My fear however is that a combination of WB interference and season 1 load blowing will make season 2 of the Flash a train wreck.

When the entire basis of your first season involves heavy time travel fuckery it makes sense to focus all their attention on Flash.

zoux posted:

The first half of the season was aimless but not as bad as people say and I'm really getting irritated by the "Arrow sucks now" narrative.

The first half of Agents of SHIELD was not as bad as people said and that didn't stop this thread from tossing shade wherever possible despite the two shows being dissimilar. If nothing else its delicious irony.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

AoS writing could only be considered "better" if you consider super dull, safe writing "good".

AoS was an extremely generic feeling show, to the point that it turned off a lot of people.

I'd rather take a cheapish, some what dumb but entertaining show, over a dull, "satisfactorily" produced show that takes no risks.

Agents of SHIELD was a show that 1) spent it's first sixteen episodes of its first season intentionally misleading its audience and 2) wound up alienating part of said audience just so that it can 3) blow up the entire premise with its last six episodes that 4) followed up on the plot of a movie that did not have direct ties to the show. This the show that is has safe writing that takes no risks?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

The heroin the Chinese make is stamped with the same symbol on Davos' chest and is called Steel Serpent.

And it's heavily implied that Gao is from K'un-L'un and is probably Madame Crane.

Crane Mother from Kun Zi.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Or maybe he has a normal skin tone, but an over exaggerated flowery manner of speech.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Did Constantine get really good after the pilot? Why are people trying so hard to give it a second chance?

Also Hell's Kitchen looks way bigger than I imagined.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Turns out Supergirl was on Glee with Flash. I've heard nothing but negative things about Glee. Is it one of those shows that's really bad with a really good cast?

Supergirl is cute :3: but looks bad. I will watch it anyway.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Is it on youtube yet? I'm honestly not going to pay to see summer slam if I only care about fiveish minutes of it, but I do want to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOa0A_iCnk

poo poo quality and no sound from the match, but you do get the bonus of seeing what a Russian stream looks like.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't understand the complaints either. From what little I've seen it doesn't look any worse than Flash or Arrow. Hooray for a Monday show. Tuesdays are crowded.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Fox gets everything TV/movie for X-Men and Marvel gets everything FF in time for their Phase 4 (get it?) movie in 2020.

I'd also be down for a Netflix Phase 2 with Punisher / Blade / Ghost Rider / Moon Knight.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Why is there no thread for Supergirl? Was the leaked pilot really that bad? :ohdear:

The actress who plays Supergirl was on Glee with Grant Gustin aka The Flash. 1) we need a Neil Patrick Harris / Music Meister crossover episode and 2) was Glee a show with bad writers, but good acting? I've only ever heard bad things about it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I thought he meant in TV IV.

I did. If anyone watched the leaked pilot it would be a BSSer not a random TVIV poster.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dunno if this is a spoiler or not, but is there anything from Jessica Jones in Daredevil S2? Haven't finished JJ and I was wondering if I should do that first.

One of the characters in the third episode just made a one-line reference to something from a late Jessica Jones episode that you won't catch if you haven't seen it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Aimed at a tween audience though.

So the CW with less melodrama? Sold.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

Yeah it is easier to show rather than tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvcIhL86IE

This is why I don't watch much TV.

I just want dumb comic book people doing dumb comic book things. Why do Flash and Arrow have to be awful now?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I like how divided people are about this.

So did Ward shoot Laurel or did they just talk?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I will add that I've read reviews, discussions and recaps all over the place and the only place where anyone has even mentioned an unresolved hole is on these forums. No one else cares becaue they don't have to have immediate resolution to what is obviously an ongoing plot.

The Hole isn't even the most interesting subplot. Karen mentions a brother and later we find out he's dead. Her reaction to the newspaper clipping immediately makes her cry. I understand it's a sad memory for her, but immediately tearing up? Something about this has traumatized her and it's not mentioned again.

But no let's talk about The Hole some more. I feel a deep connection with all that dirt I don't see.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

He died in a car accident. Unless you're saying the tree shot him. Does Groot have an alibi?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

Anybody have a decent screen grab of the article? I don't even remember it saying anything about a car accident, hell I don't remember them showing the article at all.

Why would she be all "Does anybody else know?" about a car accident?

From the Netflix thread:

Heathen posted:

2x09
The newspaper clipping in the folder on the desk.

Mystery Accident Causes Teen Fatality

16-year old teen died in a single-car crash, in Windler County on Friday, authorities said. The unsolved death of this young man is currently under investigation.

According to a Vermont Highway Patrol report, the young man, Kevin Paxton Paige, of Fagan Corners, veered off the roadway while heading east on Vermont Route 12 from the Hill Road exit ramp off Interstate 89.

For an unknown reason, Page's vehicle went through a chain-link fence and ran into an embankment on the north shoulder at about 1:40 pm.

Vermont Highway Patrol found Page dead at the scene. His body was taken to Windler Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The young man's death as well as the cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Fun Trivia: The rest of the article is text from War of the Worlds. The text above the picture is from Moby Dick.

Karen sobs and asks if they read it. Ellison responds he and Ben both read it and didn't care. Ben must've found something linking to her, because that's pretty loving cold to say you don't care her little brother died in a car accident.

More Fun Trivia: In the comics Paxton Page is Karen Page's father aka Death's Head and the obituary on the right of the article mentions a Penelope which is Karen's mother.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

WB would be worried people would be confused between TV Batman and movie Batman.

Yet we can have movie Superman and TV Superman... 's boots.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Just put it on the CW and forget about it.

I stopped reading DC with the New 52. I don't like Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Flash or Arrow anymore. I didn't like Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel or Batman v Superman.

My transformation to Marvel fanboy is almost complete. :(

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

NBC has picked up DC's Powerless. The comedy is set in the DC Universe and is about a young insurance adjuster who deals with regular people that need help with damage caused by superheroes. Vanessa Hudgens stars and it also features Alan Tudyk, Danny Pudi, and Christina Kirk. And it's a half hour sitcom on NBC so could last anywhere from 6-13 episodes before cancellation.

This is going to be a series filled with SNL skits that never made it to air. I give it two months.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I like most of TOS / TNG and DS9 until it tried to be Babylon 5. I can't believe there hasn't been a Trek show for 11 years. I look forward to the new one next year.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

I'm watching Arrow, in season 2, and I'm pretty goddamn tired of how most episodes consist of two members of Team Arrow being snipy miserable cunts at each other for 35 minutes. Also extremely tired of the fact that everyone holds endless grudges that never take into account context or severity. Lying about something that ends in somebody else being killed is apparently directly equivalent to actually killing them in the Arrow-verse, even though that doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Enjoy it while you can. Season 2 is Arrow at its best.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Time Warner has DC; Disney has Marvel; is there anyone NBC-Universal could buy? :v:

(They're the only one I can think of that would be as big as Disney and Time Warner.)

NBC Universal was bought out by Comcast. They inherited Universals distribution rights to Hulk and Namor.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Man, Luke Cage being good makes me want to finally finish up Jessica Jones.

Don't do it, Toxx. Don't let it be inside you.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Like, 10 seconds? I'm just now catching up on posts. You can meet me in the Netflix thread next.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

Would rather they just do Static.

Isn't that already happening? I remember reading about Will Smith's son being Static in something. Will Smith is a fan.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Wanna hug dat big blue puppy.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Friends, is Iron Fist as bad as they say?

I just finished the eleventh episode and it's a solid okay. Unlike the other Marvel Netflix shows Iron Fist starts off with a sketchy first episode (the dialogue dealing with the disbelief of his identity is seriously the worst part) and the second isn't that great either, but after that it's pretty okay. There's no Daredevil's Hallway or Punisher Versus The Mob, but it also hasn't fallen apart in the second half like Jessica Jones or Luke Cage did. I think the fact that they didn't just adapt a storyline from the comics and pad it out to fill the episode order has been a good thing. It ties back into Daredevil a fair bit and has it's dumb / bland bits, but there's nothing truly bad about it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

None. The end of episode 12 gives you boss fight and then a mini boss fight. They're all pretty standard kung fu stuff.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

But there are more fights than just the last episode right?

There's a bunch of fights, but none that really stand out let alone one defining great one. Iron Fist is stunningly average. I only mentioned twelve because they just finish one fight and you think the episode is almost over and nope, one more.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

The main characters of "New Warriors" were announced and given a little description each and also a little blurb about the show

Quote in case you don't like links:

I gotta admit I don't really know these last two but I'm not exactly a comics expert.

Microbe and Debrii are from the New Warriors before the GenX Warriors.

I'm surprised they didn't go with Rage and Firestar. Get a big dude that acts like a kid and college age "inhuman" girl with leftover Ghost Rider CGI.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone feeling frisky enough to do a new thread? It feels like there's two dozen shows on a dozen different networks now and my poor old brain can't remember them all any more.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

RevKrule posted:

This is pretty much my feeling. I'm one of the few people that really likes the Inhumans royals so I was really excited when they put it on the movie slate. Then Perlmutter decided to play keep away with the property and now it's been hosed over.

I think it's the other way around. Marvel was pushing Inhumans so hard because they don't have the movie rights to X-Men. I think it's more likely that Marvel Entertainment was pushing for Marvel Studios to do an Inhuman movie and that's why it was stuck on at the end. Remember that The Inhumans movie was never a part of Phase Three, rather it was the beginning of Phase Four. Feige probably never had any interest in doing an Inhumans movie and that's why its a TV series.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

I hear Chuck Norris is available...

The irony is palpable.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

It definitely still feels like a network TV budget, but c'mon. This is really HQ stuff for any TV show. I guess I really need to get around to watching Legion at some point if it's seriously much better-looking than this because this is not the sort of stuff I usually see in my shows.

"suffocatingly bland" :geno:

How did the lady hugging the stairs not get wiped out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Oh cool, iZombie will have a fourth season.

Wait, iZombie had a third season?