Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I got put on academic probation, so now, in order to register for classes, instead of doing it online and clicking Submit, I have to:
1. Write down each class section, professor, etc, on a physical form.
2. Take the form to every professor of every class, which usually takes a week because professors aren't just on campus every god drat day
3. Take the form to the academic probation office and have them sign it.
4. Take the form to my academic advisor for my major and have him sign it.
5. Take the form to the registration office and have them register me for classes.

Oh you wanted to change your 8AM discussion section to a 10AM? DO IT ALL AGAIN :suicide:

drat, and I thought it was bad enough that when I was on academic probation, instead of registering online, I had to actually make an appointment with my academic adviser to do so, only to have her try to convince me to change my major five times in the 15 minutes it took to get my registration done.

(Irony now being, that I'm off academic probation, and going to change my major anyway.)

Also frustrating is the fact that there's a lot of roadwork going on around my school, so it's a maze of closed roads and construction cones to get anywhere. This drat Atlanta streetcar project drat well better be worth all the annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TZer0 posted:

I study CS at my university and we have had a couple of mislabeled courses and certain weird professors.

Notably the professor responsible for the basic Java course (and some other courses).

Recently, my institute started using a new delivery-system made by some master-students - in general it works great. It is being adopted as the standard for not only my institute, but for the entire faculty. However, the earlier mentioned professor would not have any of this as he had his own delivery system running for the Java-courses. "Delivery system" is a far stretch.

Allow me to describe it.
  • There is no user authentication. Yes, that's right, you can deliver hand-ins as anyone (provided you know their username). However, since this can be easily abused, they have put up an IP-filter allowing only university IPs to connect to the service :bravo:.
  • It has a plagiarism check. I'll say that it works quite well in regards to catching people who cheat, however - it is not the super-awesome piece of software that this professor claims it to be. Whenever you deliver, the system would actually go through every single file delivered - ever (even for other courses), rebuild all the data for the comparison, do the comparison and then let the file through. Combine the fact that there were over 10000 files delivered in this system with 30 students trying to deliver just before the deadline. The plagiarism-checks could have easily been scheduled post-delivery or as low priority processes.
  • Only one file per delivery. Anyone that has touched programming (and especially any language like Java) can tell you how great this is.
  • The system would also just randomly crash for no apparent reason.
  • It is not open-source despite having at least one master thesis behind it claiming that it is. The reason for not being open source is because "the students would then know how to fool the plagiarism check". I'd say that if you know how to fool a plagiarism check by reading the code for it, you probably know how to pass the assignment.

This professor has fought with all his might for keeping this system, but he finally had to admit defeat this semester. However, he has plans about making a version 2.0 of the delivery system. :eng99:

If find this in a way saddening, not only by its mere existence, but because this is the department of computer science. Such things should not happen here.

poo poo, I wish that we had an electronic hand-in for our programming assignments. No, my professor requires us to turn in the source files + jar on either a flash drive or a burned cd, and print a hard copy of the source code to turn in as well. At least printing at the school is only 5 cents for a single-sided page, or 8 for double-sided...

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Yeah, having to evacuate from the 14th floor sucks. I had to do it before in the GSU dorms, and of course they don't let you use the elevators right away after, because the stampede of people would break them. At that point, it's "go to the library and gently caress around on the computer or something for an hour".

One year, we actually had tornados. In downtown Atlanta. My building actually had a few rooms on the top floor collapse, but I believe nobody was hurt. I also watched a huge tree in a nearby park fall and just barely miss a car. We ended up being temporarily housed in an unaffected dorm building for the weekend while they made sure it was structurally sound enough for us to go back in.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Sydin posted:

Back in Sophmore year I took a class where there was a girl who told the professor she had class more or less straight from 7am-6pm, and asked for permission to break the no food in the building rule so she could have some lunch (the class was around noon). The professor said sure, why not? Then next class, she takes out her food and it turns out that "lunch" means "my five gallon tupperware of the most pungent tuna salad on the planet." She doesn't even take two bites before the professor tells her to put that poo poo away and never eat in his class again. :v:

edit:

In my archaeology class there is one left handed desk, and I'm the only left hander in the class. Yet there's this girl who sat in that desk on the first day, and will always go to sit in it if she gets there before me. When I get their fist and sit in it instead, she gives me the dirtiest look. :allears:

On the first part, I have to wonder both why and how could someone schedule themselves for 11 hours straight of classes in a single day. I had a hard enough time fitting /two/ classes I needed into the same day, and even then I got stuck with having a 9:30 AM recitation on Thursdays. (Speaking of that recitation period, I have to give a hearty gently caress YOU to Cobb County, Georgia morning rush hour traffic. Thanks to that, I have to leave my house no later than 7 AM to be sure I'm here by 9:30. This is why I was trying to avoid classes before 11 AM.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing I don't get is that colleges occasionally start having disease-related trouble that only comes up when you have overcrowding, that just get worse when you have unsanitary conditions (like every college dorm, ever), but are trying to pack even more kids into college dorms. Like hey, let's see what happens when we indirectly force meningitis outbreaks to happen. Hell yeah!

Dorms in general are a thing that's always baffled me. They're a terrible idea in every way imaginable and I've never met anybody that's had much positive to say about them.

My dorms required proof of meningitis vaccination before moving in precisely because the close quarters makes it easier to spread/contract. The common areas weren't absolute shitholes either, but that's probably because our dorms were apartment-style, so there were like 3 people sharing a bathroom, max, and 6 max sharing a kitchen, plus RAs had to do monthly health and safety inspections on their floor. Maintenance was pretty good about coming to fix things too, you just submitted the work order online.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My grades finally came out...but I have to restructure my entire summer and fall semesters because I let my loving depression get in the way of poo poo again and only made a D in Calc 1. Everything that needs Calc 1 as a prerequisite requires a C or better in it. But at least I didn't fail it completely! :confoot:

And thank god I don't have to look at loving discrete math again. I will take that C thank you very much.

Edit: I'm also so tempted to just burn my loving discrete math book, I didn't realize that the international edition of it /was not/ pretty much identical to the American version, so none of the homework problems matched up. I only spent like $15 on it anyway, not that big a deal.

taiyoko has a new favorite as of 21:48 on May 9, 2014

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Depending on the school and your ability, try bluffing your :way into Calc 2. At my school nobody really bothers checking prereqs.

System won't let you register for classes if you don't have the prereqs, and the only way to even try to get around it is a bunch of bullshit running around getting paperwork signed. And honestly, I deserved that D, so I really should take it again anyhow.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I'm living in campus housing this year. We have busses that take students from the dorms to campus because it's about half a mile walk. Usually I just walk it because I'm a fatty and need the exercise, but today is cold and wet and I decided to say gently caress it and take the bus.

During the day, busses are here every 5-10 minutes, and during peak time the trouble is finding a space to sit or stand. I have a 5:30 class that I'm now late to because it's been nearly half an hour and the bus is just now getting here.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Eh, as far as renting a place to live at goes, it's mostly not too terrible. I get my own bedroom and share a full kitchen, bathroom, and living room with my roommate. Cable, internet, and laundry room are all included. It's not a terrible walk to campus when the weather cooperates, pretty decent security in the sense that we have a rfid card that allows us access to the building, campus police (actual police, not rent-a-cops) are pretty visible around the area, and there's always someone on front desk duty if there's a not-911-type emergency. Runs about $1100 a month for downtown Atlanta ($4344 for the semester for having only one roommate, there can be up to 5 people living in an apartment). School provides a bus from both my dorm and another dorm building next door to main campus.

Biggest downside for me with this has been that parking for my dorm is $400 a semester. I tried going car-free once, it didn't work very well because Atlanta transit is generally poo poo. I'm just glad I'm not a freshman and have to live in the buildings that don't have kitchens and force you to buy a meal plan.

I'd like to live off-campus, but I'd have to find a job that would allow me to afford that...I'm paying for the dorm out of my financial aid.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pead posted:

At Georgia State, they took every computer lab on campus and jammed them all into the library. It is also the only building on a commuter campus you can get rooms to meet with groups. At this point, it's basically less a library and more a giant study hall with people playing music and hanging out in with large groups of friends.

Not all the labs...but the ones that remain are generally specific-purpose labs, aside from the one in the bottom floor of Aderhold. Not that I expect anyone would want to walk to Aderhold just to use the computer lab.

I've gone into the Digital Aquarium a few times to mess around with digital painting in photoshop.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Right now I need to complain about the washing machines in campus housing.

We have 16 washing machines in our 8-floor building. Half of them are currently broken, and it seems that even putting in a work request doesn't get them fixed because I know for a fact I've reported a couple of them myself and they've been broken all year.

And of course assholes don't come get their laundry right away, so I was only able to get one of three loads started (tiny-rear end front-loaders). I almost wish they'd charge for washing and drying if that meant machines actually loving got fixed.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

MasteringPhysics and a code for my Spanish class from Vista Higher Learning. Once I add in the lab books for physics, those two classes came out to $300. :smithicide: Good thing I already owned my calc book and could rent my data structures book for $30.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

InEscape posted:

Send this human a polite email telling him that the mechanical clacking is distracting. If he pushes back offer to buy him a cheapo 10 dollar quiet one.

Or steal his great keyboard and receive a free keyboard. Your call.

You know the kind of person who would buy a mechanical keyboard and bring it to class is an insufferable douchebag neckbeard and he will insist that he can't type on anything else. I'm sure his problem with the laptop's keyboard is what 90% of people who "can't type on a laptop"'s problem is: they don't bother to learn to loving lift their wrists so they're not brushing the touchpad all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

speshl guy posted:

Shout out to schools that sell way too many $150 semester-long parking passes so that you'll find an open spot maybe twice if you're lucky.

Hahaha, I'm paying $400 a semester for parking in campus housing. Because four grand a semester for one bedroom of a four bedroom apartment isn't gouging us enough.

• Locked thread