Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I agree, Ozymandias is the real ending of BB and easily my favorite episode in the show. The last two episodes are more of an extended epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bown posted:

Never been an Almost Sunny fan - hated season 1 and then tried to start season 2 but couldn't get into it despite the noticeable improvement - but if people want to recommend individual episodes I will give them a shot very soon. I'm willing to give it more chances.
I'm not sure how far you got into season 2 but there are so many great episodes across both it and season 3 that I would be hard pressed to find one that wasn't considered a classic from that span. "The Gang Goes Jihad", "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare", and "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" is one hell of an opening act following the first episode at least.

hope and vaseline posted:

so they set up Charlie on a match.com date and he says he's a full-on rapist instead of philantropist
Y'know? Africans. Dyslexics. Children. That sorta thing.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 30, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

He's right though.
I honestly think this season might be the best one since 3, which is weird because Andy has been gone for most of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

The latter.
I think you dodged a bullet there because I don't think they would have cared. Other than there probably being a large crossover with people who already hated Korra anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So negative! I love this season, it's probably my favorite since the third. But I'd be fine with it ending as it has been a good run. It'd be nice if it could at least get the 30 Rock treatment unless the back half is enough to wrap it up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Forums reactions aside, what is your personal most holky gently caress TV moment.

Mine's probably the whole rescue from New Caprica. Start to finish, best action sequence on TV of all time.
Same BSG season, but for me it has to be the finale. The final minutes of Crossroads was something special.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are still dragging the slap bet out this far? :stare:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CaptainHollywood posted:

This too because seasons 1 and 2 are arguably the worst seasons in the series.
Season 1, maaaaaybe since it's so short and doesn't have DeVito. The Underaged Drinking and Dead Guy episodes are amazing though. But season 2? There's maybe one episode in the bunch that isn't a classic (the last episode, and it's still a good one).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I mean, I'm not going to say it kept up a consistent level of quality, but even at its worst it was still pretty okay. It never got bad.
The Arcadian season was genuinely bad television in my opinion. I can't remember if it was that season or the one after that I quit for good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was fine with the BSG ending because it was absolutely hysterical. Just have to roll with it. Kind of like how the flying punch was the best part of the Lost finale.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Lost had plenty of answers. It's just that the answers turned out to be really dumb. "It's magic!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best subtle Ghostbusters joke is when they switch on Ray in the elevator and Venkman and Egon just sort of awkwardly shuffle away from him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Austrian mook posted:

So Netflix put up the rest of Breaking Bad, I missed that. Just finished Ozymandias.

HOLY loving CHRIST ALMIGHTY IN HEAVEN
Easily my favorite episode in the show. That was some good television.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Aaron Paul was on Top Gear UK and got the fastest lap *in the world*. American Supremacy!
I love Aaron Paul but every frame I see of Need For Speed makes me cringe and seeing him try to promote it was pretty awkward.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is pretty good. Yeah.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

I think it's legit funny that people got mad that a sitcom wasn't advancing the metaplot. Like that is the number one criticism I see about the show, that it took to long to answer the titular premise. Though I guess I can understand, I'm not sure we ever really did find out Who the Boss Was.
HIMYM's decline for me was more due to them stretching out Ted's supposed narrative arc and him becoming insufferable during the process. In the early seasons it felt more like there was a finish line in sight and there were key milestones that needed to be reached to get there, which made it those early seasons feel pretty tightly written for a sitcom. Had you asked me in season 3, I would have said it felt like it was paced for 2-3 more seasons at the most. That obviously did not come to pass, and the show really felt like it was meandering during that stretch. Maybe it would have been fine if the episodes were still funny, but I don't think it was a coincidence that that started to fall part alongside the metaplot pacing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

If they had called the show "My Life Before I met Your Mother" then it wouldn't get a fraction of the criticism it gets today.
I really think it's just the way they went about it. If they had simply ignored the mother subplot entirely it would have strangely probably been better off; the fakeouts they did every season were just obnoxious and hamfisted. Likewise if you step back and assume that it was never really about the mother per se, but rather how Ted would "become the man he needed to be", that becomes difficult when your main character gets more and more unlikeable as time goes on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played the first season of the Telltale TWD game since it was supposedly great and came away pretty disappointed, so I can only imagine what I'd think of the show. I don't know, I'm just not a zombie guy I guess unless it's a comedy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't even remember the last time I disagreed with Irish Joe on something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

Saw this linked at AV Club, Graph TV which takes a show and then graphs the IMDB rating for each episode. Its interesting to see at least one site's opinion on a show and how it changes as is goes along.
Scrubs' graph is pretty great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

While that was surprising, that wasn't the last shot of the episode which had me shocked. I'm talking about the slow zoom in to Walt's planter where you see that its Lilly of the Valley.
You should report back in again once you finish Ozymandias. :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

I think I've reached the point where Parks and Recreation feels depressing instead of upbeat. The characteristics of the show/town/characters have started feeling oppressive instead of funny.

I also realize I am likely arriving at this conclusion about a season and a half late.
There hasn't been much of a major "victory" for about that period of time. It's all been moral or ethical wins while the town continues to poo poo on them. There's not much else they can really do with Leslie at this point other than have her leave it all eventually.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PriorMarcus posted:

And hasn't Breaking Bad already had it's final Emmy chance?
Nope, the second half of the final season is up this year.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The original Scrubs finale was pretty great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

I actually can't read the thread for Adventure Time though. It was so bad I had to stop watching the show for a while. Literally everything is symbolism and if you disagree because, "Hey, making the funny robot trans would be a really stupid way of exploring that," or, "Yo, shut the gently caress up about penises," you're just called out for not accepting that cartoons can be deep and mature. :smug:
It feels like threads for specific shows have gotten worse and worse lately. No one can just enjoy a show anymore, it has to descend into endless derails and slapfights. Always Sunny, P&R, and B99 are the only three I can bring myself to read these days with P&R already clearly on a downward spiral and B99 lapsing into Star Trek fanfiction.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bown posted:

I've said it before, but Paranoia Agent is pretty great. And it's only like 4.5 hours at most. Other than that yeah all anime TV is just terrible, how can an entire genre gently caress up pacing so badly and so consistently
Losing Satoshi Kon at such a young age was just about the worst. That industry desperately needed him. I just hope Mamoru Hosoda was born under a luckier star.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This guy knows what's up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Season 1 of Always Sunny has some classics even without DeVito, my favorite probably being "The Gang Finds a Dead Guy". It's not a P&R situation here, it's worth seeing season 1.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Always Sunny is one of the most freakishly consistent comedies since the Seinfeld/Frasier/etc "golden age". And I personally find it a lot funnier than all those shows bar Seinfeld. Not that Frasier isn't funny, but Always Sunny is just... loving hilarious.
It's one of the only sitcoms that continues to be entertaining despite falling into the trap of exaggerating its characters and seemingly reveling in the absurdity of its plotlines. Just compare Frank now to what he was like in season 2; both are different but still hilarious. As a result it hasn't worn out its welcome as the years have gone on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the forum software got hosed up when threads got too big.
That was back in 2006 or 2007, I think. That limitation hasn't existed for a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irish Joe posted:

..and then Veronica Closet went to college, got a degree in criminal justice and became a real private investigator. The End.

*closure*
Well, yeah, actually. Considering how season 3 ends. Or doesn't, rather.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

xcore posted:

I should really give The Pacific another watch. I agree with everything you have said but I feel I was a lot colder on the show that I feel I should have been. Honestly, my only memories of the show are the Rambo M429 sequence and "civilians caught in the muddy crossfire/slaughter".

I feel like there should be a hell of a lot more memorable moments than that.
From what I remember of The Pacific, you just don't seem to get attached to the characters as much you do in BoB. Some of that may have been due to simply source material differences, some of it may have been the weird pacing from breaking up the story arcs, and some of it honestly may have been the acting (while Little Timmy had the best overall set of episodes, I remember Sledge being a rather stilted performance). It was also cheesy as gently caress sometimes; wasn't there a scene where one of the characters literally frolics across a beach with his wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, I can't think of a time where it would have been tougher to be a mod. Not just in TVIV (Game of Thrones, Aatrek) but in general, what with the half-dozen mods we've lost in the past year and with the site falling apart figuratively and literally.

You did a great job.
I can't remember a time that's been as bad as it is now (regarding the health of the forums). How long have the forums been without a coder? I've been keeping up with the stuff in QCS but it's understandably a little hard to get straight answers out of it.

• Locked thread