Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

1st AD posted:

This is my favorite gif of all time because when I first watched that I had no idea what was going on or what any of it meant. Then after the teaser they explained he was Thomas Riker and I was still wondering why he had fake sideburns to begin with.

Because it's the best moment in all of Star Trek, no contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

CPFortest posted:

I always think after I watch a good episode of Star Trek, "Wow, that sure was an awesome plot that they came up with."

Me too, but without the irony or smugness.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DrNutt posted:

That's not the same at all. :( Although now that I'm thinking about how the Klingons were handled in STID I'm not sure I want that anymore.

I do still, however, eventually want a JJverse version of TNG.

JJverse Enterprise-D was captained by crazy hobo Riker. The movies are actually prequels.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Conquistador posted:

I like the Enterprise finale :shrug:

I show my friends that already like TNG but not Enterprise that to get them into it.

I'm 1 for 2 so far using that method, whatever that means

It would be better if it didn't come straight the hell out of nowhere and there was an actual lead up to it. I still enjoy the TNG parts of the episode though for all it's fanservicey goodness.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Genocide is bad for business. How can you sell to people if they're dead?

Ah, but if they're all dead then their remains become a rare and unique commodity.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

If anyone should be compared to libertarians, it would be the Maquis.

I'd say that they're space Native Americans, but TNG decided that space Native Americans should be an actual thing. I don't think you can just choose a planet and declare it "spiritual" guys. Why was this a thing?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

But why? Sit around in there playing card games? It makes no sense at all. This had to be something he said when ripped off his tits on coke.

Some men want to be astronauts, others want to be a human dildo.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, but it's not Voyager!

That's the point why watch Voyager when DS9 exists.

You're not a doctor at all are you?!

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Pascallion posted:

One Voyager episode?

the one with the Emergency Command Hologram.

Those pips are the only thing that even come close to rivaling the Riker beard-off scene in terms of greatness.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Sweet, a cushy government job.

Hope I don't get infected by some parasitic worms or anything.

No, you're Admiral that means you have to turn into a cartoonishly evil dick bag, who thinks they're doing good. It's like federation law or something.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Jumley posted:

Because that Cardassian wasn't played by the great Marc Alaimo.

He was that's the point. Unless we are talking about a proto-Dukat I'm not aware of?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also, gently caress the Kazon. This is important.

This has nothing to do with anything else you posted, but I find it loving aggravating that the Kazon hate Voyager is because Janeway was too high and mighty to share replicator technology. They wanted some water, that's it. The Prime Directive is loving retarded sometimes.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's also weird is that, at least during TNG, the writers were practically banned from visiting the set.

This not weird at all and has been standard procedure for most TV/Film productions until very recently. Writers being on set usually creates more problems than they solve and in screenwriting the common opinion is to sell a script then let it go. All of this has to do with director conflicts, actors asking the writer to change things or the overall unruliness of most writers.

Believe me you do not want writers on set.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

Emperor's New Cloak: Apparently going to the Mirror Universe is about as difficult as buying a train ticket. Why are we back here anyway? Is the Intendent still duplicitous, sexy, and insane? Yup. Who cares?

I love 80s nightmare Kira and her silly headwear, you're bad and dumb.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

IIRC, Seven was meant to be loopy in that episode.

Yes, but neither Janeway nor Chakotay were under the influence, yet completely believed her. What's their excuse?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I like the Founders because they remind me of Ditto from pokemon, except with more evil and less sex having. Yes, I mean less.

Also didn't Animorphs also come out about that same time? So many shape-shifters in the 90s.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Plus, there's Crewman Transporter-Accident :v:

I still think Barclay is right to fear those things, poo poo fucks up all the drat time.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think Harry Kim might be the starfleet officer ever to have been officially reprimanded for loving an Alien.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think favorite thing about Klingon culture is that you can be whatever you want as long as you pretend you're fighting a battle of some sort.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Most if not all of the bad episodes in DS9 are Bashir centered so that's not a surprise at all. Though he has a few good ones. Bashir as character I like in the middle seasons of DS9, after he was really naive but before becoming super jaded.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Kira Nerys has more interesting conflict and backstory than any two TNG characters and has a pretty cool arc throughout the series.

True but they also never shut the gently caress up about her backstory and we get a lot of redundant episodes about her trying not to forgive the Cardassians. Including one where Dukat calls her says "I hosed your mom" and hangs up, at which point she goes back in time to scold her mother.

Who the gently caress approved her using the Orb of Time to see her mom get hosed anyway?

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

"The Hunted" is on BBCA and this is a bad prop moment. That's not even a button he's pressing and the cover isn't even attached to anything.

That's my Trek sperg for today.

Watching this too actually I like how that guy shoots a wall later on and there's not a mark on it when they cut back to it.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Hard Clumping posted:

It was Sisko if I remember right.

I meant more on the churches end, how do explain to a Vedek that your friend needs to go back in time to check if her mother was a bonking lord spoonhead or not. Though while it is more about Dukat than Cardassians in general the episode does elaborate more on a backstory we've seen a dozen times already at that point. The entire thing was sort of unnecessary really she didn't need yet another reason to hate Dukat and the Cardassians, and she really didn't need one so contrived.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Winn was kind of bitch. She used religion as an excuse to seek power.

The small time terrorist did her thing because she had to.

Yeah definitely something that'd never get allowed these days.

She also blew up a school the first time she was introduced. There's really no coming back from that one.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Yeah explaining more doesn't mean explaining better. One of my favorite bits of Mass Effect science is that biotics exist because their scientists pulled a space pirates from Metroid Prime move by exposing everything to element zero they could get their hands on.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So I've been playing FTL recently and it made me realize how much I desperately want a larger scale Star Trek themed version of that game with sims-like life simulation. It'd be hard to figure out how the multiple decks thing would work, but it'd be great.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I always loved playing where's Waldo with Odo in the early episodes of ds9, but some times that poo poo got kind of dumb. Man that cart near the airlock sure isn't suspicious at all right?

I really wish they did more with the shapeshifter thing, but as has been said budget was low.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

What character do you people think improved most over the course of their series?

I would vote Nog because he was initially a pretty bad/two dimensional character in the early seasons of Ds9 but by the end became one of my favorite characters in all of Star Trek because of how complicated and interesting he became.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Well, they definitely end up wearing those awesome (?) uniforms in every conceivable future (TNG, DS9, VOY).

Those uniforms suck and make everyone look super old even when they're not. Tucked in shirts is not the way to go Starfleet.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

These ones, right?

They do look comfy.

Yeah the top looks great it's just where the shirt meets the pants that looks awful.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Picard would get into some kind of accident that gets him stranded on a planet with a Romulan captain and while trying to survive they bond and gain a mutual respect. In the end they discover a Dominion jammer was preventing them from being rescued because the Dominion want the Federation and Romulans to believe that their captains had killed each other, straining relations.

Kirk does the same thing except the Romulan captain is an attractive lady.

Janeway does nothing but leave devastation and broken promises in her wake.

e: Archer gets into a space battle with the Romulans but it was all a misunderstanding. In the end he gives an inspiring speech that we don't actually hear because the scriptwriters aren't good enough to make it convincing and the Romulans are won over by it.

In none of these scenarios is "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAKKKKE" proclaimed so be glad they never happened.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure Janeway would go back in time to keep the war from starting in the first place, also the Borg would be there because Janeway.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Gul Dukat legitimately makes me wonder if they have birth control in the StarTrek future, dude certainly makes quite a few bastard offspring.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Gau posted:

Classic Who is pretty much universally lovely, it has all the charm of a bad episode of Voyager and sub-Original Series production values. There are only a few notable exceptions and even those look like something somebody made for a university film class. Imagine if TOS had been allowed to go on in the style of Season 3 until the mid-eighties, replacing the captain and crew of the Enterprise every five years or so as Gene went progressively more and more crazy and began to beg for death as opposed to being forced to produce this stupid loving series any more. That's Classic Who.

You're being really harsh to something that had zero budget and was originally a kids show. Yeah it hasn't aged well, but some of those episodes were pretty interesting in concept and ground breaking at the time. Classic Who isn't bad just old.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

rocket_man38 posted:

The Starfleet/Maquis being buddy buddy so quickly was the laziest writing I've ever seen.

As a kid the worst part of the Maquis on Voyager was that they never really explain who the hell they are, if you didn't watch DS9 or that one episode of TNG you'd have no idea what their deal is. It was only when I watched DS9 this year that I had any idea of what was up with them.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Ezri didn't really have much to do on DS9 as Vic was already the group's psychiatrist, she was pretty redundant and misused for pretty much all of the last season. Especially Nog's episode which just made her seem really incompetent.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Tuvix's flowery fusion uniform is the best uniform no contest.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Call this my one really weird opinion about Voyager, but I unironically enjoyed Tuvix as a character (as much as you can like a character on Voyager) and would easily take him over either Tuvok or Neelix. His concept was loving retarded sure, but he was way more interesting than the other two were, plus he was actually competent at his job which is more than I can say for everyone else on the ship. I was actually kind of upset when Janeway murdered his rear end because Kes was sad. Also status quo and all that.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I always loved how loving delusional Kai Winn was. The final season of DS9 when she finally realizes that she wasn't one of the good guys was the greatest thing. How do you get introduced by blowing up school and still think you are fighting the good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Could be, I have exactly 0 experience on TV/movie production. It was something I read and I'm perhaps misinterpreting that point. Maybe when you have the stars on set you need to have more crew around or something. In any case, the point is that most of the time productions will pretty much never use the stars for a shoot unless they have to. If there's scene where you don't see a face, there's a good chance its a double.

Stars are the single most expensive part of any shoot and after 8 hours you typically have to pay them double in compensation. Plus actors are loving annoying to work with. It's much easier and cheaper to get a double to do the more ancillary shots generally speaking. Also there are many cases where an actor is getting ready for a different shot and you just grab whoever you can who's in costume because it's quick and easy.

• Locked thread