Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

Is the lack of expandable space on the 16gb Nexus 5 going to be a huge problem?
Not if you get the 32gig version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BlazedLobster posted:

Chill out dude, no need to be all agressive and witty. There are many positive reviews for this kind of hardware, and I've heard about developers supporting phones for the most used chinese brands, I came to ask if anyone had more info on it, that's it.

Welcome to jort city where the only correct answer is the Nexus 5.

Its an angry spergy bunch round here.

And no, do not ever buy a cheap Chinese knockoff Android phone. Its only asking for trouble software wise.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just put the Moto X up on SA-Mart if anyone is interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586934

Turn around this time was four days.

Oh poo poo. Grab the popcorn ya'll.

Edit: no popcorn. Chickened out.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 20, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Are all Moto X models pentaband? As in do the AT&T/T-Mobile/Dev Edition run the same bands (assuming carrier bands are unlocked). Does the Dev Edition contain more bands than say, the AT&T or T-Mobile version or they all the same hardware?

I can't seem to locate this info online.

Edit: This sheds some light and suggests the Dev Edition is the only one with every GSM band. I wish every phone just contained every band, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 20, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I got mine yesterday, but I also just sold my MotoX.

You will break down and re-buy another X. Count on it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

No LTE? Thats a deal breaker.

At the price, nobody will care. It's a great deal and HSPA+ is plenty fast, IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Armenian is a straight up computer voice.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
All aboard the Moto X train. Got mine from Republic Wireless today and it's pretty awesome. Everything just works well, including Google Voice integration/voicemail forwarding. Sprint speeds (yeah, I know) seem to be decent in my area - and for $25/month (on wifi a lot) it makes a lot of sense.

Don't miss the Nexus 5 or HTC One at all so far. Very happy with this phone and cheap service. 29 more days to decide but for now, Republic Wireless and the X are pretty drat impressive.

Even that silly windy day that appeared was creative and fun. I'm pretty shocked about the entire experience thus far. This may be the only Android phone that will pull my wife away from her iPhone. I'm going to try at least (and put her on Republic Wireless to save a lot each month).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

hotsauce having ADHD again. Why am I not surprised. Counting the days until he has another Nexus 5.

Haha, nah. I genuinely wasn't impressed with the N5. Besides, if I commit to Republic, I'll be in CDMA hell. But for the price and the ability to tether via wifi to my work iPad while in the boonies, I may be okay with that. I could even get my bill down to $5/month since I always have my iPad with me. That's nuts.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is the best way to get a Moto X on T-Mobile prepaid? Do I have to pay the $600 or whatever the gently caress for a developer edition?

Swappa, eBay, local or buy a Dev edition from Moto?

Oddly enough, Swappa listings for the Dev edition and T-Mo have all but stopped and new listings are very expensive.

3 weeks ago, you could get a barely used Dev edition for $420 - $470. Now there are hardly any listings and when there are, they are expensive.

Supply and demand. There aren't a lot of Moto X sellers. There are a ton of Nexus 5's on Swappa. Yes, I crowbared a Nexus 5 into this post, only to make a point about how great the X is.

Anecdotal? Yes. But it suggests something interesting to me about the X.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 23, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Loucks posted:

I usually have 10-20 Chrome tabs open on my S4, but that's just because there's no incentive to close them.

The Moto G looks great, but it doesn't qualify for the only decent cheap plan I know of (T-Mobile $30 100/Unl/Unl) unless it's sold through Walmart or T-Mobile.

Any unlocked GSM phone or branded T-Mobile phone qualifies just fine on the $30 plan. Pop in the SIM and go. They don't care where you purchased the phone as long as the IMEI isn't blocked for some reason (theft, etc).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The obi poo poo will stop working in may 2014, already announced.

Google needs to buy/clone Obi and create a GV @ Home brand or something. Have everyone want a GV number tied deeply into Google/Hangouts, whatever. I rely on it like no other. Ah well I suppose, one of the best inventions for using actual home telephones with your GV number is dying soon. Not surprised.

It's the future man. Gone too soon :smith:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Verizon MAXX on AT&T/T-Mobile is tempting just for the battery and X internals alone. I just went with the Dev X. Might as well have LTE I guess. The X's battery is really fine for me. 24 hrs with normal use is more than most would expect from a phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I paid full retail for the Dev Edition + Moto Care (3 replacements for a small fee if I break it) and it wasn't cheap. But better than F5'ing all morning only to be disappointed on Cyber Monday.

The X is awesome, and if you can snag a Dev edition for $399, that's the steal of the century (that is, if the Nexus 5 isn't your fancy, of course). The N5 wasn't all that IMO. The X just makes sense.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Pympede posted:

The screen and digitizer on my nexus 4 broke. I can still see the screen but it doesn't register touches. There is a pin on the phone. Does anyone know if there is any way I get pictures off of it?

Not being a jerk here, but I'd suggest it's time to turn on Google+ photo auto upload (or Dropbox) when you get a new phone. Unless you are one of those cloud NSA fear types. My phone could be destroyed any minute and I would have lost exactly nothing. Hope you find a solution, but I think you may be out of luck.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Out of curiosity's sake, I loaded up the Moto X Developer page. Still $549. Is the sale not on yet? Or not at all?

Motomaker is completely dead.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I emailed Motorola last week to see if they would refund me $150 since I had just bought a Moto X and was within the return period. Why shouldn't I just return the one I bought and get a cheaper one today. They never responded. I guess they knew I wouldn't be able to get one anyway.

Speaking of Motorola, my fiance's Razr M seems to only like Motorola brand wall chargers (or it may have been a bad cable), and also it only charges in the car on a 2 amp car charger, and the 1 amp does not work. Is this a Razr M thing? Or are my methods flawed?

I chatted with them last night via MotoCare on my phone and the agent essentially told me the only way to get the $399 price is to return a perfectly good phone (under the 14-day window) and order a new one. Seems ridiculous, but they aren't budging. If I can get a $399 Dev one today, that's what I'll do. $150 is $150 and Moto will have a perfectly good RMA'd phone on their hands. Strange.

If they tossed me a small coupon for accessories, I'd shut up about it. RMA it is I guess (if the website ever works). Just got the phone on Saturday.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Dev X back is greased lightning slick.

Goon rule: toss in Diztronic, done.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

Goon suggestions for a non-TPU case for a Nexus 5? I'd like to keep it fairly slim.

Edit: And I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but switching from GEL to Nova substantially increased battery life for me.

GEL is still running in the background since it's integrated into the Nexus 5's OS. You then run Nova on top of that. Placebo?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Genderfluid posted:

I'm picking up my google glass today. i'm still not quite sure why, but it should be interesting at least.

Got my invite the other day, just can't do it. I definitely want Glass, but in no way for $1500. If anyone wants my invite code, PM me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I never do the restore on a new device. Don't need my phone downloading KidZone and other poo poo that I absolutely don't want, ever.

I use it as an opportunity to clean house and re-install stuff I go to use but realize isn't there. That's how you find apps that matter, IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That's called a defective Moto X.

RMA time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

No, it's called "something that we've known about ever since color film was invented"

My Moto X does nothing of the sort. That photo is terrible. Guess I beat the odds of color film or something because my pics absolutely don't look like that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

It's a crop of an HDR photo, not the entire photo. Chromatic aberration is a well known phenomenon in photography.

8th-snype posted:

Stop telling people to RMA their phones because you don't agree with the laws of optics.

b0nes posted:

So just RMA it?

Nope. I was wrong and called out multiple times. There is nothing wrong with your X. Do not RMA it. My advice is terrible. That one cropped photo demonstrates there is nothing wrong with your phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That microUSB coming out of the top would trigger :spergin:

But it does look to be a great idea. I'm surprised there isn't a real, non-janky OEM solution (mass-produced) for a Qi car charger. It's confusing. I know, market share of Qi devices, but theres gold in them hills for a major company to do it right and not charge $99. If a clean solution landed on the market from, say, Moto (they do have non-X Qi phones) for like $49, they would sell a boatload of them.

Owl as an option, but I'd prefer a major OEM, personally.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 8, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Moto X $150 discount code. PM me if you want it.

Edit: gently caress it. About to head to sleep and don't want PM city tomorrow when you can't get a code in 10 minutes before the website melts down:

Promo Code Expiration $150 off a 16GB or 32GB Moto X without contract through Moto Maker:
H2DW-QIRB-FYPX-OLDV-XAZG 12/11/13 11:59PM EST 30% off most accessories -Extended! THANKS 12/11/13 11:59PM EST

Kindly post when it's used so I can edit edit.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 9, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Geektox posted:

Managed to get my order in right before the promotion started using hotsauce's code, the second the promotion starts I get an automated email saying my order's been cancelled.

Not surprised. Moto's e-commerce system is a nightmare. Hope it works out for you. In all transparency, I got the code from our favorite site, XDA. So it's technically thirdhand, so I'm not sure if that's why it's flagged.

Wouldn't see why as it was never used, but there's my disclaimer. I wanted to use it for my wife, but she is all about the iPhone. My sales pitch failed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still waiting for the update to show up.

Still, lol? It got pushed out to OTA a few hours ago. Adb sideload. Takes a few seconds.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: And I'm sure someone already posted about it but I missed it. I picked up my N5 the other day and a paper clip was stuck to the lens cover. Apparently it's magnetized so you can use these stick on lenses.

Speaker magnet? And I thought the Nexus 5 "all the lenses will stick it was designed for this" was some internet created thing and not real? Sure they may stick, but Google didn't design the phone for that specific purpose.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Sony Z Ultra GPE

:stare:

And I guess we can safely assume, since it's GPE, that the Sony camera software isn't on board (ala HTC One GPE). Shame if so.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 10, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Meant more in the sense its not shipping broken, a few posts are all about RMAs.

Honestly, the "loose power button" is a flimsy reason to RMA. A few goons don't represent the masses. And don't even go over to XDA. Every phone is broken and should be RMA'd at least 6 times according to them.

The Nexus 5 is fine.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Geez, I didn't ask for an RMA, I was just emailing them to ask if this was a problem or a known issue. They gave the RMA without me even hinting at one, and I wasn't expecting one. The first support email reply to my inquiry included the RMA link and shipping labels. Maybe tell Google they shouldn't be so generous or something?

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just in general trying to say Nexus 5's aren't shipping in a "broken" state. Issues always happen, but I'd be willing to bet the Google person you spoke with had been put through the XDA "YOU SOLD ME A DEFECTIVE PHONE MY BUTTON WIGGLES RMA NOW" ringer.

He/she probably just proactively offered the RMA to avoid a back and forth debate.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Noxious posted:

Edit: Posted way too soon. What's the best slim case for the moto x?

Diztronic

-sent via auto hotword goon detection script for best slim case

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

b0nes posted:

OK Because when I opened up my Moto X DE it had a paper staring directly at me stating that i'm able to unlock my bootloader but at the expense of losing my warranty, like HTC did.

Not to pile on here, but if I'm tracking the conversation correctly, you are believing the outdated piece of paper that was in your Dev Edition box. That was the case up until recently when they changed their stance:

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/11/you-asked-we-listened-announcing.html

So unlock away. No warranty loss as long as it's a Developer Edition.

Holy poo poo. Never even read the post above. Oops.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 17, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That wood is going to be nasty after a few months (fingerprint oils, etc).

But hey, looks good new.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Looks like I'll probably be picking up a white Nexus 5. Any recommendations for third-party cases? Google is asking $35 for theirs, which seems excessive.

Edit: While we're at it - is there such a thing as a good wireless charger for the phone?

Diztronic.

Official Nexus Qi charger is tits or an on sale Nokia one. Or tylt.

Don't go to cheap on the Qi charger. It may burn your house down. (anecdotal)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Still can't see any way to get to it apart from googling it (or knowing the URL)

http://www.keep.com stands to make some cash from Google.

That would be logical, but won't happen.

drive.google.com/keep isn't exactly logical. Just bookmark it I guess.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Driving mode is awesome, it can notify you that you got a text, who from, and read it aloud, and you can reply without hitting a button. It also announces who is calling and lets you answer the call with a voice command, and auto detects when you're driving so you don't have to do anything special. It really has come in handy in lovely Michigan winter weather.

All this gadgetry is making me want to port out of Google Voice so I can enjoy all the touchless features :(

Just wish GV+Hangout integration was here already. Silence is deafening.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kitchner posted:

In any case, I'm hoping as the HTC One is a sealed unit a very brief coat of water isn't going to fry everything at least until I have insurance sorted and enough time to look innocent. If not then all I can say is welp.

There is nothing sealed about the HTC One when it comes to water. Unless you have a Sony, water instantly gets into every crevice of the phone and most likely shorts it the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Selling my Moto X

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598069

• Locked thread