Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love the songs that have been made about war, and now this page is going to take me forever to get through to listen to all of these. Here's this chipper recruitment song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1WGgSCO9k0

Then there's these songs about conflicts that didn't turn out so well for the parties involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ufe0jF-AE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w5JlDn9WCw

And I was listening to these Irish rebellion songs earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3oL7KnJ1yA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Bq_2soGIA

They have an interesting flavor to them, since they've still got some bitterness in them about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What would happen if that gun overheated? Would the plane's engine just explode?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Farecoal posted:

I thought it was a murder?

A Marder? :v:

Were there any mercenaries during the world wars?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never knew that people were talking literally about "pushing matches" between groups of pikes. That's just so stupid.

If one group of soldiers raised their pikes to close in and shove the enemy with their shoulders, couldn't the other soldiers just lower their pikes before the enemy closes in?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How often does that happen where soldiers just stop fighting and party for a while? I know about the Christmas truce, and I know that it happened some during the Spanish Civil War, but is there anything else?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Clearly modern man would win against a medieval knight because it's hard to win a fight when you're hundreds of years dead.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well that's what you get when a bunch of separate nations with their own rules and cultural differences joining together after the dictionaries have already been written. The old Holy Roman Empire had many uniting factors, but language standardization isn't one of them.

France and Spain still have their regional dialects/languages, and they've been united way longer than Germany.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Basically, peacefully occupying things is something Imperial Germany was not at all good at. Like my talents with music only with more horrifying bloodshed!

Is anyone all that good at occupation? It seems like in the modern era it's more trouble than it's worth for a nation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So long as we're in gay black Hitler territory, what does everybody think about this quote about WWI from Bertrand Russel, renowned not-a-historian? Yea or nay?

Bertrand Russel posted:

Consider by way of contrast what would have happened if Britain had remained neutral in that war. The war would have been short. It would have ended in victory for Germany. America would not have been dragged in. Britain would have remained strong and prosperous. Germany would not have been driven into Nazism, Russia, though it would have had a revolution, would in all likelihood have not had the Communist Revolution, since it could not in a short war have been reduced to the condition of utter chaos which prevailed in 1917.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

uPen posted:

This looks like something out of 40K.

Star Wars, dude. C'mon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel the same way about this as I did about assassinating Osama Bin Laden. Yep, they're bad, and they should pay for crimes, but it's always a bit spooky when a bunch of people are out for blood and rejoicing at somebody's death.

And when almost an entire country is united in some kind of horrible enterprise, how much blood is on the hands of those who just fall into line and don't make waves?

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 21, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When did prosecuting people for war crimes become a thing, anyways?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can't starve out the rebels when they can just run the blockade as soon as they get everybody onto transports. All they needed to do was jump into hyperspace and it was smooth sailing from there. The only guy who the blockade could catch was some loser with a piece of junk hyperdrive.

Apparently Vader had planned to do a long-distance orbital bombardment and hide in the asteroid field so that the rebels wouldn't know to raise the shield, but some jerk messed that up and got close enough so the rebels could detect them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't somebody recently find out that Roman gladiators were fat so they could get a bunch of gory wounds?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All the money in the world won't do you any good if none of your investments pay out. Spain lost control of too much of its possessions, lost too many wars, and it didn't help that the bloodline they had been trying to put in control of all of Europe eventually went bad.

They had a good run while it lasted, but trying to focus the bulk of European power into a single bloodline through marriages and force is like trying to balance a pyramid on its tip. Spain didn't all go down at once, it slowly crumbled away until Charlie 2 there couldn't provide a sufficient heir and the War of Spanish Succession took away most of Spain's holdings in Europe, and even after that, Spain limped along until the US put an end to its colonies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just heard that America's nuclear silos still use old fashioned floppies, and I was wondering how often military systems are normally upgraded?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

They should use silencers:

I hope the designer got some kind of prize for that.

That's probably a good counter to one of these guys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What is the best way to recover from a war?I mean, other than the good ol' American way of not getting bombed to hell.

I was looking at the Weimar Republic the other day, and I couldn't think of anything else they could've done. Sure it's bad to devalue your currency, but what else can you do when you have to pay all this money you don't have and can't get?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does it really count as a sequel instead of a continuation? The biggest thing that's changed is just that there isn't a veneer of ideological conflict anymore, and it's just straight-up arguing over who gets what country.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is my favorite form of flintlock weapon combo:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

uPen posted:

Napoleon III tried to turn it into a French colony/puppet state while the US was busy with a civil war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Mexican_Empire

It's a good thing that didn't work out, because it would've messed with the Confederacy's plan to conquer Mexico. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo: horoscopes of your important figures are important matters of state and your enemies will try to steal them.
http://www.radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/horoscope-of-albrecht-of-wallenstein-on-display-in-prague

Incidentally, can anyone read this?

Pretty sure you're supposed to fold those up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been listening to the Revolutions podcast (I'm up to the end of the American one), and between this and modern day incompetence at the VA, I'm starting to notice a pattern.

How often to governments try to renege on promises and payment to their troops?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are there any remnants left of the massive network of Trenches from WWI left, or were they all filled in?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kaal posted:

Extra History is interesting, but it's also the definition of Great Man History. And it also realllllly plays up the "Good men tried for peace! Stop the madness!" angle waaaay too much.

Well if you want to balance that out, you can try some Crash Course with it. John Green is so not-great-man-history that he left Napoleon out of his world history series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've got two weird hypothetical questions about submarines:

What would happen if one of the torpedoes in the torpedo bay went off inside the sub?

and

What would happen if a nuclear warhead that a submarine was carrying detonated while the sub was underwater?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My problem with Fury is that while it was intended to show the "darker" side of the war on the Allies' side, but there were barely any looting scenes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Didn't they make a Fallujah game?

There was going to be one, it was canned. From what I heard, it was slated to be a very realistic take on the battle and actual veterans who were in the battle of Fallujah were involved in the game. It would've been real interesting if nothing else.

It's not like the Iraq war hadn't already embodied in all but name in all of the generic middle east settings that a slew of other video games had. You might as well be direct. It's not like anything they would've put out could possibly have been more disrespectful of the war than 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fangz posted:

The only effective counter other than your rifle is your pistol? What does that leave your Marine with as his alternatives? His grenade? The entrenching tool in his backpack? His meal ready to eat?

How could an enemy soldier keep their focus to stab you when there's some beef stew right there?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When did the whole folded up napkin hat become the standard when not wearing helmets?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My grandfather was in World War 2 as a radio operator, and he had a lot of goofy stories that he ended up putting into a book.

My favorite is how he accidentally got sent to the wrong camp when training, and he was in the then-classified radar training by mistake. He had to keep on explaining that he was in the wrong place, but the army kept on telling him not to worry and insisting that they'd find his papers. When they finally figured out that he didn't have clearance, they had to swear him to secrecy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

From what I remember, it was basically a 1940s-vintage Razor scooter. Maybe something like this?

Quite possibly the least-dignified form of military transportation ever devised.

Just you wait until someone pulls off an attack with segways or unicycles.

If they used rollerblades though, that would just be rad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What did cavalry units do with wounded horses?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh hey, something like that almost happened to my grandad. He and his buddy pulled into camp late at night, heard a bunch of people speaking German, and just crept back out of there.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hey guys! Eurocentricism.txt

I wonder what is inaccurate with this image!

Man, such an interestingly designed graph that conveys so little meaningful information.

Also India keeps criss-crossing over Russia for some reason?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Look pretty floppy to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The word "genocide" implies intent and organization, and neither of those were really consistent throughout the whole centuries-long period in which the Native Americans were slaughtered. A better way to put it would be as a series of genocides. After all, it wasn't just one big native slaughter from start to finish; tribes were exterminated one at a time. The colonial powers allied with some natives and fought others. Sometimes colonial governments orchestrated massacres, and sometimes they just let civilians do the dirty work by being very laissez faire about enforcing treaties upon their citizens. Maybe sometimes diseases did the heavy lifting. Any which way, the natives were reduced from hundreds of tribes to far less.

It's more complicated than just the almighty white man rounding up the natives and shooting them start to finish.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Before the advent of firearms, was there a melee equivalent of soldiers not wanting to kill and just repeatedly reloading without firing or shooting over their enemey's head?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JcDent posted:

Of course, getting wounded is still in.

Super strength, carry a small brick shed around for protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Baghdad, 1257 AD. I'd give my eyeteeth to see, and more to record, all that I could from the grand library before the Mongols destroyed it all.

200 books of Arabic puns.

• Locked thread