Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So hey, question- is the Chemist class as ridiculously busted overpowered as it was in FF5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got this game and holy poo poo the boss music kicks rear end. Also Ringabel rules.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sorry to double-post, but I have a BURNING QUESTION: Are Monks going to drop off as quickly as they do in FF5 or is the boss fight against Jackal, in which Agnes was not hitting for poo poo, a fringe case? She looks fine as a Thief but I was kinda digging Monk.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Those are some big numbers you're putting out there Profiteur. :stare:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Would Time Magic be better suited for a character who's been using Black Magic or White Magic so far (just got the job at the end of Chapter 1.) I like Edea's costume for it better but I don't know, maybe Tiz's healing expertise would allow him to utilize Slow to the FULLEST EFFECT or something I don't know.

Also when do I get a class with S-rank in Katanas so that Ringabel can become the Master of the Hanzo Steel his goony rear end was destined to be?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is the halberd you get from the Valkyrie boss just really bad or is Valkyrie's damage output poo poo? I'm beginning to think maybe I should just switch Agnes back to being a Monk since her damage output's been kinda trash lately.

Or a Ranger.

I really don't want to have to use a Ranger.

Edit: For the record, she was a Thief before this and was great for a while but then started dropping off big time, especially compared to Two-Handed Spell Fencer Ringabel (though, I suppose that might just be indicative of Spell Fencer being awesome.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I did literally just get the job so I suppose I was a bit hasty in my assumption. Once I get to the point where JP starts flowing like a river (I am told this occurs later) I'll probably give it a further shot but for now I just bit the bullet and switched her over to Ranger, which is working perfectly well even if it looks mega dumb.

Also: Holy poo poo everything about the Red Mage. Why is this a person that exists.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So let me see if I've got this right: (as regards endings) Now that I'm in Chapter 5, once I break a crystal, I'll be taken to the first ending, and if I just keep going, I'll get the other ending? That's how this works, right?

Edit: Also, I can't seem for the life of me to get Rusalka's Aqua Regia: I keep getting him to hit Ringabel, who is my Vampire, but it keeps just not happening.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah I've been in this boss fight for like half an hour and I just cannot learn Aqua Regia for the life of me. It keeps hitting him but it keeps not happening. I've checked the list multiple times and it's not in there, and he's not under any debilitating status ailment. Do I have to somehow be immune to the defense drop? I don't understand what the problem could be.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DTaeKim posted:

Is Ringabel's job Vampire or is his secondary ability Vampire? If it's the latter, he needs Genome Drain in order to learn monster abilities.

If that fly suit and cravat he's wearing is any indication he is most decidedly in the Vampire job right now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just finished Chapter 5.

I can't wait to do it all over again. :shepface:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just died three times to the fight against the Venus sisters in chapter 6.

It's only going to get worse from here, isn't it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just started down the road to the first ending.

Wow Airy, you sure are pretty. :stare:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got the false ending and I have to wonder: Why was Airy so comically easy? As far as final bosses go it was kind of disappointing. Still pretty cool though.

Now to go hit more things until I get the other ending.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Holy gently caress the fight against the Black Blades in Chapter 8 :suicide:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man, I wish I had found out how good Sleep is in this game before the final sidequest.

Sleep is really good in this game.

Edit: Bwahahaha, the superboss is The Adventurer and his little fox pal, that's great! I love that.

...And he's also a loving badass holy poo poo :stare:

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 17, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Chump Farts posted:

Anyone think that despite the tedium in parts that this is the best FF game in for loving ever?

I've heard good things about A Realm Reborn.

But as far as not MMO goes, yes, absolutely.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DalaranJ posted:

What's a good way of dealing with Khamer's hasten world in chapter 8?

I still haven't tried giant's drafting everyone but I have the feeling they'll just meteor * 4 + multiburst * 4 in one turn if I do that.

Moderation from the Spiritmaster, Group-Cast All Sleep, spamming the Performer's Zero Sum, clever use of Stillness, kill them really hard before they kill you, etc.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

vulturesrow posted:

Im at the Lontano Villa (yes I just got around to playing seriously). I have Ringabel and Tiz as monks, Agnes as White mage and Edea as Freelancer. Is there any value in getting a few ranks in Freelancer early on? IF not, what do you recommend for Edea? All I have access to is Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, and Freelancer.

Getting up to level 4 in Freelancer will get you Divining Rod, which tells you how many chests are in a dungeon, and Dungeon Master, which turns off dungeon hazards. If these are things you want, then sure, go for it. If not, go Black Mage until you get Knight here in a few minutes because Heinkel's hilariously weak to thunderbolts and Edea's the "best" at hitting things.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

vulturesrow posted:

So Knight is a good job for one of the party early on?

Every class is good in this game except Freelancer.

Edit: Every class. Except Freelancer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Just use Fire Bane and blow them up with Fireball or something, I don't know

Incidentally, Double Damage cost 18 MP in the original version of Bravely Default.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Last Celebration posted:

Is that why it has a prohibitively expensive MP cost now? I mean, double damage for 18 MP when you probably have 200+ to burn through even in jobs like Pirate sounds overpowered, but 25% MP kind of ruins it while you have basic combos like Gaia Gear + Earthquake/Sandstorm or Black Bane with Gloom and Drain Sword that barely require effort and are massively self-sustaining.

Yeah, it was stupidly overpowered in the original version so it was changed. Same with Amped Strike going from 99 MP to 1/2. Also, Spiritmaster's Moderation being 2 BP instead of 40 MP and both Fairy Wards being 4 turns instead of 5 turns and Greater Fairy Ward not being basically Enigma and Rage having a cap on its number of attacks at all, which it didn't in the original version.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Yukari posted:

Doesn't rage not having a cap mean that that + drain sword = instant win?

Yes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Veskit posted:

Chapter 6 question I can't find the 3 sisters of the blood rose legion. They dont have their sidequests. Did I miss something or is there a plot reason why they are unavailable? The valkarie/hunter/summoner are the ones I can't find.

Those three are for another sidequest you'll need to progress the plot a mite further to find.

More specifically: Awaken three crystals and you'll unlock a new sidequest.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

GreatRedSpirit posted:

So I hit the end of chapter 4 and the game gave me a point of no return warning. I haven't done the six key piece quest yet because the dragons guarding them wreck me. Can I advance the game and come back for the key piece quest later or should I buckle down and kill some dragons? I'd imagine I could do it with Giant's Draught and Drain Sword and Dragon Slayer and grinding for Paralysis / Stop immunity.

You can do it later, but the quest gives you the game's equivalent of the Blue Mage and if you progress past that point it makes it a lot more obnoxious to get some of its abilities, so it's best to do it right now.

Here's a pro tip: All of the dragons' attacks are physical, so Ninjas and Templars take them for a ride.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Try Sleep.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Uh, wow. You guys weren't kidding about that mage fight. Is the one with all the fire the hard one, because holy poo poo, that was ridiculous.

Yeah, the next two are jokes

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
White Magic is awesome if you combine it with Healing Lore and Holy One to obtain Maximal Amounts Of Healing (Heal everyone to maximum with a single MT Cura!) but as an overall class Salve-Maker is better.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
She summons Gertie every three turns or so.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My fight against the superboss was literally one Dark Knight with Knuckle Lore and Natural Talent dealing all of the damage and the other three characters were dedicated to making him not be dead.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The people of Caldisla gave him the name.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr Pepper posted:

Wrong the best way is to use a Performer's Once More for You to stunlock it into Negative BP for eternity.

Healing BP works on undead too? Ahahahaha Gigas Lich you are the worst

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
No, actually you should do it right now. Spoilers: All their attacks are physical.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What I meant by that is if you use a Ninja you literally can't lose that fight unless you actively try to.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Emron posted:

It's kind of hosed up that I can get the best equipment in the game to put on my guys by grinding a few job levels for about half an hour with 25% of the game left to go, though!

you're gonna need it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What's the Zeus dude's job again?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
ringabel owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura