Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

NA dudes: Bravely Default demo is hitting the eShop on Jan 2nd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

So, I'm just getting around to playing the demo now, and every fight I seem to get my poo poo wrecked. Should I be getting murdered easily in the cave to the West if my characters are Lv 1 or 2? Do I need to grind? Have I bought lovely equipment?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunban posted:

Don't immediately head to the cave, level up a bit in the desert near the town and try to get a feel for the jobs and abilities you're using.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Yea the game expects you to fight out in the field and do the field related quests when you first start. you're getting a bit ahead of yourself, though I'd imagine it would be possible to survive with the base classes if you knew what you were doing.

Just do the field quests.
Thanks for the tips, I spent a bit of time in the desert close to the town, and did the initial sidequest you get. I managed a bit better (I had gone South first, and just got wrecked by one of those Cat Mage things, and two of the poison snake/worm things), levelled up a bit, got some better equipment and some actual spells (I forgot you had to buy scrolls).

Just a question about the mini-boss in the cave to the West, when I fought her, she seemed to keep getting BPs every turn (max'd to 3 of course, though). I'm not sure if I was just missing the command she was using to get that, it wasn't like the Imps' Brave Thief ability, or whatever it's called. She was then trying to Aeroga my party a few times every turn, but having died to her previously I used Silence on her as soon as I faced her again. I'm just wondering where she was getting the BPs from and why they weren't decreasing at all even though she was doing 2 actions per turn?

The demo is quite fun, although I feel like I won't be able to wrap my head around combining skills from different jobs.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Can you just cheese the entire game with Utsesemi?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is there any way for me to have e.g. Ringabell be a Performer who can Dual Wield daggers? I want to be able to do this because it would own, but the Dual-Wield ability seems to be built-in to the Ninja job, and isn't available as a Support ability.

What does it mean when it says "Unused Cost... <X>" under Support Abilities? Is it just saying how many slots are free, or is there a cost if you load up on a few Support Abilities?

Also just re-posting this since I think it got missed.

irlZaphod posted:

Just a question about the mini-boss in the cave to the West, when I fought her, she seemed to keep getting BPs every turn (max'd to 3 of course, though). I'm not sure if I was just missing the command she was using to get that, it wasn't like the Imps' Brave Thief ability, or whatever it's called. She was then trying to Aeroga my party a few times every turn, but having died to her previously I used Silence on her as soon as I faced her again. I'm just wondering where she was getting the BPs from and why they weren't decreasing at all even though she was doing 2 actions per turn?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Well, everyone can always dual wield, it's just that their attack power is cut down by 50% unless you have Dual Wield. So a Black Mage could use two rods that give +Magic since they don't use attack power anyway. Anyway, once a Ninja hits job level 11 in the full game, they get Dual Wield as a support ability, so all the other classes can use it.
Yeah sorry, I knew that but I meant duel wielding while not reducing the attack power. Thanks.

Terper posted:

She was Defaulting. I don't recall any ability she had that stole or gave her extra BP.
She was also using 2 actions though...

e: If she had 3 BP, could she Default, then use Aeroga twice and still have 3 BP left? e2: I don't think so actually because Defaulting would be all she could do on her turn.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 6, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Well, no, that's not possible. Are you certain that's what happened? What might have happened is that all of your characters were in negative BP, so she could Default, it would go to next turn without any input from you, she'd Brave and attack twice, then Default, and then you can act again.
All I can tell you is that at the start of the fight, she kept using Default until she had 3 BP, then she kept using Aeroga (which had no effect, because I had used Silence on her) twice per turn, without reducing her BP. I wasn't using Brave at all, I had used Silence on her after she had previously wrecked me with Aeroga, so I was happy enough just chipping away at her with physical attacks and magic. I just couldn't figure out why her BP wasn't decreasing at all, she was definitely casting twice per turn because it did the whole animation, then popped up saying it had no effect because of Silence, and would do that twice in succession before I could act again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

Oh! If you can't act for any reason then your BP isn't used up. If your Black Mage was silenced before he could fire off four Thundagas or whatever, then he'd keep all his turns that he would have used. Same would happen if you had too little MP, was put to Sleep...
Ohhhh ok! Thanks, I couldn't figure out what was happening, which worried me because I thought I understood the game mechanics. :downs:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I finally Streetpassed someone with the game yesterday afternoon, so I got an extra villager. :getin:

Of course, yesterday morning I finished rebuilding Norende anyway. :negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aurain posted:

If you're on the demo, it'll carry over to the full game so yay.
If not, yay for those mii minigames on the 3DS?
Yeah I'm still playing through the demo...planning on getting the full game in the next week or two. I have to say, this demo is fantastic and the stuff which carries over to the main game is really encouraging me to keep playing as much as I can.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Finally finished the demo, I sunk 10 hours into it. :psyduck: I was going to get the full game yesterday, but everywhere seems sold out of it. I think Amazon have it through resellers, but I'll see can I find it locally. If worst comes to worst I guess I'll just get a digital copy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

When you level a job, does that level apply to all of your characters, or just the character that you leveled it on?
Just that one character.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

If you go digital just make sure you have the memory for it. Its a almost 4gb download.
Yeah I know... I ended up ordering a 32gb card instead of the game. I should have just bought it at release, but at that point I hadn't even had time to play the demo, and I was kinda holding off in case I got it for Christmas (which didn't happen).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Does anyone know if this game got a really tiny print run in Europe? Loads of places seem to be sold out of it, even online retailers. I really want to pick it up next week, but it looks like I might not be able to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Foxhound posted:

My usual store didn't have any copies left. Some stores still list it as being in stock, but I doubt the original print was very large.
Amazon have it back in stock now, so local places will probably be getting more copies in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

queeb posted:

Is it normal to get wrecked by the mobs right outside the city in the demo? fuckin poison and insta death aeros going around.
Those White Cait Mages shouldn't show up too often close to the City, so just stick close to there and you should only get the poisonous snakes or whatever. Make sure you stock up on some antidotes, or have a White/Red Mage with a Poisona scroll (or whichever it is that cures Poison). You might need to go back and heal after a fight or two, but once you level up a bit they won't be doing so much damage to you. Once you get enough drops for the first 2 quests, you should be at a decent level.

Try experimenting with different jobs and gear, too. It might seem a little overwhelming at first, with all the different options, but I just started off with a Knight/Ninja/Black Mage/White Mage, and only switched when I had max'd all the job levels (it maxes out at 4 in the demo).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kin posted:

If you're in the UK and are cool with maybe waiting a week, i may have a copy to sell you (i'd be selling it at slightly under RRP too i.e. ~£29 or so).

If you haven't read the last couple of pages of the general DS thread, the store I got it from sent me 2 copies by mistake. I'm just waiting to see if they catch on or not and charge me extra.
I'm in Ireland, and I have a copy on the way from Amazon, but thanks anyway!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I finally got my copy yesterday. Remind me in future not to bother waiting to see if I get a game for Christmas. :v:

I've only played for about an hour and still only have Tiz and Agnes (and no jobs other than Freelancer :(), I'm glad I played the demo to completion because I'm stacked with gear. :getin: Oh, I just unlocked Norende too, so I get to rebuild it. Again. :negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I beat the first boss last night, and got my first jobs. :toot: Is there a particular strategy to it? I ended up just focusing on Holly, since she was mostly just casting Protect on Barras. I managed to get her killed, although she Cured herself a few times. Once she was gone, I could just chip away at Barras till he suicided. I had to use a few potions but overall it was ok.

I'm at the 2nd (I guess?) dungeon now, I feel like I'm a little under-levelled for it because some of the enemies on the 2nd and 3rd floors are really wrecking my poo poo.

I already have a few people on my friends list for the game, but if anyone else wants to add me, my FC is 3179-6055-6192

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Are you Braving in the random encounters? Generally the go-to tactic in most random encounters is just to Brave with your sweepers and other damage-dealers and keep the healers/buffers on Default when things go south.
I haven't really been doing that because the Orcs are really strong, and I didn't want to leave Tiz completely vulnerable. I guess if Agnes can heal him it's not a big deal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aurain posted:

Feasible? I'm going to go with yes.
Likely? No, not at all. I believe that to do this on Hard, you're going to have to be exploiting AI and doing speed-run style glitches and route planning to ensure you're not one shot by something because you're going to be short on levels for character and jobs, meaning you need perfect play.
You can turn encounters to 0

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm still only on the Prelude chapter (holy hell it feels long), at Lontano Villa, but I'm really loving this game so far. I don't think I've ever finished a FF game, I always get bored/lose interest at some point, and the grinding usually gets to me. I haven't felt like I've needed to grind so far really (but again, I'm not that far in). It's a lot of fun, too. One of the previous FF games which I played was 3 (the DS remake of it), I don't think I really "got" the job system in it. I was very reluctant to change jobs on characters in it.

One complaint that I'd have about Bravely Default is that I feel like it takes ages to gain job levels.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seems you can't update friends for the demo over the Internet. Guess I'll never get to try that out till I get the full game
Nope, the internet functionality is disabled in the demo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's a chest on Lontano Villa 3F which is locked. Do you need a job ability to unlock it?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aurain posted:

Chapter 6 item will allow you to unlock these.
Crap, I was worried that it would be something you'd get later on. Do you get locked out of coming back to Caldisla?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ah ok. I thought people earlier had said that you get locked out of sidequests when you progress chapters. I guess I misread/misunderstood. Thanks guys!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just arrived in Ancheim. I love this music. :allears: I've put about 6 hours into this already, and I'm really only at the start. I mean, I probably wasted about half an hour going back up to Lontano Villa to see could I find a way to open that chest, but apart from that I've just been going straight through it more or less, aside from spending time gearing up etc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Phone posted:

Is there a fake internet StreetPass functionality? It seems to be fairly important to have StreetPasses to actually build the village, but if I can't get dudes from the tubes because StreetPass in America is broken, I think I won't buy this game. :/
You don't need Streetpass, you can get villagers from people on your friends list or via SpotPass. And seriously, it's not a reason to not buy the game. You can carry over 3 villagers from the demo, and even with just those 3 it'll just take a while to rebuild some stuff. Just leave the game running in sleep mode overnight.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 4, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Must be a BC thing because I don't know anyone who has it early here in Ontario yet anyway.

Anyway is there going to be an e-shop version of the full retail game? I know the demo is out there but I cannot seem to find any concrete evidence on an E-shop retail version. Also if it is coming out, roughly how many blocks?
Yeah, everything comes out on the eShop. Also:

Terper posted:

So, uh.

This game is pretty big. :psyduck: (source)

Here's a comparison to other games.

It's over 3GB.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dunban posted:

what the

What exactly is wrong with the eShop?
Also, download speeds have basically never bern an issue in my experience and from what I've heard from others.
If you're the kind of person who loses $200+ worth devices on a regular basis, after you replace it you might need to phone Nintendo to get your previous purchases back.

Also sometimes their servers get hammered and can't handle the number of people connecting, something which has never happened anywhere else in the history of the Internet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The download speeds are fine, when the downloads can actually happen. They stop constantly and you have to go through a long process to start them again. Just getting into the eshop lately has been terrible, it takes me a couple tries. It use to never do this too when I first got my 3DS. Ever since Pokemon X&Y came out though, the eshop has been terrible. It got even worst when that online service for Pokemon came out.
Aside from problems relating to Pokemon Bank around Christmas, I don't think anyone else is having any issues with it. I don't think you can blame the eShop.

Yeah, they hosed up with releasing Pokemon Bank at Christmas, and a few things relating to NNIDs, but it all got fixed within a day or two.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I don't have connection issues with any other devices I own, so its eshop for sure.
Hmmmmm ok then smart person!!!

The eShop has loads of problems, but people really blow it out of proportion.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

I think I like the EU box art more, at least it doesn't have a huge fairy butt.
That just means it's not going to sell as well. :negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aside from Agnes being a little annoying, the voice acting really doesn't bother me in the game.

Although the merchant in Alcheim is just silly. :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

For the special moves, if you have to Brave 20 times, does that mean in a single battle? Or is it cumulative?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's 14 levels for each job

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Level 3 freelancer ability is pretty handy though, I leveled Agnes up to get it. I don't keep it equipped all the time as I still only have 1 Support slot for everyone, but when I'm in a dungeon I'll throw it on for a second to check the number of chests (especially if I've just switched floors).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There seem to be loads of people who got the game a week after me who are in Chapter 5 already. What the hell? I'm still on Chapter 1 (but possibly at the end of it? I dunno).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is actually one of those things a lot of people knew about going in, and honestly I would go as far as to say you should know about this going into the game. I'm surprised more people don't talk about it because it's kinda a super lazy design decision that developers should never do.

I can understand taking your time, but even if you do everything available to you, it doesn't take long at all to get to Chapter 5. Where Bravely Default really gets its length is in the extra content and leveling jobs.
Well there seem to have been people who got it on Friday, and who played it for 7+ hours per day. Just means that I'm having to dodge a lot of spoiler tags in here.

I don't think I played it at all on Friday or Saturday, then put a few hours in last night. I usually have it in sleep mode though so Norende is really far upgraded.

Anyway, I just finished the sub-quest in Chapter 1 last night, so now I have more jobs than I know what to do with. Also I was rockin' Agnes as a White Mage for a while, but decided to switch her to a Thief with the Angel Bow (and White Magic as her secondary job). She's now a totally badass killing machine. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hivac posted:

If you aren't classing Agnes for the jobs she's statistically the worst in, you're doing it wrong. :getin:
Yeah, I had her as a ninja in the demo and she was pretty badass in that too. I can't wait to get it in the game. Thief with Utsesemi. :allears:

• Locked thread