Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I played this a lot on PS4 back when that just came out, and sure would love to port all that progress to my PC but apparently that's never happening. But I'm interested in getting back into the game. I downloaded it through steam but can not log in. Going back a couple of pages it looks like this is a common problem right now? Is there any network fuckery I should try to be able to log in or are DE's login servers just busted right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I can't log into this at all, is this normal for the pc version? I've got a ticket going with DE support but if anyone knows of something specifically whacked with the servers right now that would be helpful to know. I'm certain my user/pass info is correct but I instantly get 'login failed. check your info' all the time every time.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I just started playing again recently and saw that someone said the Latron Prime is no longer acquirable. I got the blue prints for it a few days ago though so do the pieces for it just no longer drop? I think I heard something about the Paris Prime being in a similar situation. Is this true? Why take these weapons out of the game if so?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

As long as I can still snag Paris Prime.

Are those drops gone forever?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Hey if you just want to hand me paris prime I wouldn't be opposed at all. Though someone else just handed me orthos prime and I'll need to save at least some space for lesser weapons to rank up.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Someone recommended the Obex to me the other day. It's a low tier weapon (I think based off of the price in the market) but has an amazingly fun and useful dash attack. Your slash attack gets replaced with a rolling donkey kick that seems to be able to hit multiple people and rag doll them all into the air. This is hilariously effective even if you aren't putting out tons of damage. So the Obex could be a really fun weapon for baby tenno.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The simon says puzzle is easy solo because you don't have to coordinate chords.

Anyone else unable to log in after the hotfix? I keep getting network not responding issues.

E: was able to login in, now chat can't load. best patch.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I'm assuming so.

I was able to log in and run that second event mission. Could only use melee and chat didn't work and I'm not sure if I got credit for it. But I did get to walk around an undecorated version of my liset in first person mode so that's neat right.

e: oh the only primary/secondary/melee bit is part of the event.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 24, 2017

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

On the topic of fleecing pubs

I've sold three ayatan valana structures for 30, 40, and 60p. They're mid range and can't be worth more than 10.

I sold a saryn p set and some newbie advice to a fresh player for 125p.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

AttackBacon posted:

Further hot takes: Thank god they fixed Cataclysm, I don't think I have ever been more annoyed in Warframe. Now they just have to figure out how to make Stasis not super annoying for your team and the Limbo rework will be perfect.

Just make Stasis not apply to allies' weapons. So Limbo can gear for setting up whatever wacky stasis trap with a kulstar or angstrum or whatever people are doing, and the rest of us can continue to shoot things in the rift with impunity. Win/win.

Knowing DE this is likely a huge undertaking regarding the code behind stasis.

E: anyone else getting way more network not responding errors than, say two days ago?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Hope that secondary Firestorm mod buffs concealed explosives.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Definitely took me about a dozen mutalist alad V runs and around twenty Tyl Regor runs. The Miter took like five hours of grinding that boss fight oh and also gently caress grinding cryotic for the Sibear, it was never worth it.

Mimesweeper posted:

Grass is always grineer :v

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

To be fair the lobster tail scarf is really good looking for being free.

Blight Runner posted:

I regret not being there for when you needed to grind that cryotic. I woulda been down to carry you and others through hieracon. Believe me, I'm crazy enough to have 6 Sibears worth of cryotic :shepicide:

All good, honestly the bestworst part was that I finished grinding everything about an hour before the daily global reset and when that happened I got a resource booster.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Does duration effect the part of Octavia's passive that gives everyone close to you energy regen?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Someone toss that man an irradiating disarm.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Here's my question to you: How viable are the two available sword/shield combos or even melee builds in Warframe's late game? I'm talking holding my own in sorties and actually being able to put out comparable killing numbers. It didn't really feel to me like a melee focused character would ever be able to keep up with the room clearing power of certain other Warframes but my hope is that I'm simply missing the combination/solution that'd make this style of play an efficient one.

I'm currently using the Hirudo with a crit and attack speed build to wipe the floor with sortie level enemies. Part of the reason that works so well is that the Hirudo has innate life leech on it and so attacking really fast with big crits means i'm constantly at full health, essentially making me invincible as long as nothing can one shot me. This works really well with frames with a lot of armor, like Valkyr (not the highest but she's up there).

For that build you want Drifting Contact to up your combo time, Berserker for attack speed, and Blood Rush for crazy crit chance. Then throw on crit damage and raw damage. The Hirudo only has an innate 15% crit chance, which i'm definitely buffing out with True Steel, so anything with that should work out fine damage wise. The Silva and Aegis Prime is at 15% and the Ack and Brunt are at 20%, but regular silva and aegis is at 5%. The Ack and Brunt has a little less damage, and the Silva and Aegis prime has significantly more, but both are noticeably slower than the Hirudo.

Any way all that is to say that melee is still viable at end game, there are builds that are Atterax builds that are far more devastating than what I'm doing while using a very similar mod set up.

So try something like that with the Ack and Brunt and then the Silva and Aegis Prime whenever you're able to get that, should work pretty well. As for status melee weapons I don't really know much there, haven't messed around with status heavy builds before.

Also, Valkyr is great, she's maybe my most used frames and definitely one of my most used for sorties and other high tier stuff. Melee party, as I understand it, is Rhino, Volt, Valkyr, and Harrow for maxing out the bonus melee and attack speed buffs. though maybe replace harrow with octavia because it will likely be easier to maintain her melee damage buff than harrow's attack speed buff, maybe she's just flat out the better choice there anyway because she can buff melee damage and make people invisible where as harrow can only buff attack speed (and there is already a volt and valkyr for that). Either way, Valkyr is an excellent frame. She has a fun mobility power that can also toss around single target enemies, War Cry is amazing and doubly so with the Eternal War Syndicate mod, I basically never use her 3 but it's an ok crowd control I just tend to prefer slowing everyone down as opposed to knocking them down for a second, and her four turns her into an invincible melee blender that can slide attack anything to death including lots of bosses.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Cinara posted:

So for a new player that picked up the crazy $9 plat deal today, what are the best things to grab now that I have plenty of plat? Potatos and slots of course, and I plan on grabbing a Carrier Prime set. Are there any mods or primes that are good to buy? I am MR 6, almost 7 right now.

Slots and potatoes
Syndanas
Color pallets (there are a few bundles in the market and sales for color pallets are somewhat common, as far as sales go)
Alternate skins and armor sets

there are a couple of frames people usually recommend buying over other just because of how much of a pain they can be to farm:
Nidus, there's one mission people usually have to do a dozen or more times to get a single piece
Ivara, if you hate spy missions
Mesa, if you don't want to save up mutalist alad v keys from invasions, and can't find other goons to supply you with keys. you can probably find other people to supply you with keys
Equinox, if the thought of farming a boss until he drops one of each six pieces you need to build equinox as opposed to the regular three pieces really annoying
Titania, because her quest is long and boring and annoying

pretty much all of those i would recommend against buying but those are the ones i see tossed around as good choices for spending plat. And reminder that any frame or weapon bought with plat comes with a potato and a slot, and I believe they ignore MR limitations but don't quote me on that.

if you want to be silly:
Liset/Ship types and skins
Ember Prime
super rare and expensive mods and rivens

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 27, 2017

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

A team built specifically for melee damage can laugh all the way through the sortie, assuming all of the sortie actually lets them use melee.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Electrophotonic posted:

Saryn has quickly become my favorite frame but Regenerative Molt has really spoiled me on health regeneration. I am still pretty new, how are you supposed to play frames without regeneration apart from bringing healing squadmates or items?

It’s not helping that the Health globe drop rates are what they are.

Same.

I default to using the Hirudo on most missions, but life strike and the sentinel mods people have mentioned are really handy when you don't have other life regen.

Fridurmus posted:

Additionally, how do I build and use Harrow for maximum fun and self-flagellation, as his aesthetic is everything I want.

My Harrow is pretty basic but it works really well in my experience. I've seen people laugh at duration builds for Harrow but having ~140% duration seems pretty nice to me, allows me to stack basically all his buffs at once for a while and easy lets me keep his 2 stacked with itself to have over a minute of up time. Just a little bit of power and efficiency go a long way, with a little bit more efficiency and strength.

You just chain everything and sacrifice your shields for buffs, try to keep your 3 going so you're always regening or at max energy, pop your 4 whenever people are taking damage, and again use 1 to chain everything whenever there is a group in front of you. Generally I cast my 3 near the beginning of a match, as soon as I even see enemies, and just use all my energy to get ~10 energy per kill.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Mangoose posted:

This is true. We were doing a radiation hazard sortie once and Fjord one-shot me with a melee finisher. Laughs were had.

See, incredibly effective.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

There are other arguably better weapons to put a potato in, but everyone should have a potato'd Hek. You could save it until you have a Tigris Prime but really the Hek and Vaykor Hek are arguably just as good or better, you're very safe dropping your first catalyst in the Hek.

Also the Dual Grakatas are great but not as good as the Hek.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Right there's also that. New players will get a ton of mileage out of a potato'd Hek.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Primes usually only mean gold trim, an extra starting polarity slot or two, and like ~15 higher base shields or some such stat.

Lex Prime is a fine side arm to potato.

Gold Trim uber alles.

I may have an extra Trinity Prime set, hit me up in game, my in game name is the same as here.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Reminder that you have to have the riven equipped in order for to fulfill the riven conditions. You don't actually have to use the gun it's on, I had a pistol riven with conditions like that wall clinging one Raptor is talking about and just wall clinged with Loki and a Some Prime during a Saturn defense and got it opened up asap.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

hey all how close are we with the hema research still a couple of years ok great thanks

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

McKilligan posted:

I guess it's just the part of me that wants to play for optimum efficiency, but it's frustrating to have Max level gear and nothing to replace it with. On the plus side, the boltor and for blades are in the forge so I'll have those soon.

I wanted to address this because I didn't see it mentioned with the rest of the advice.

The Market may look like it's just a cash shop for platinum but there is a lot in there that you can buy with credits.

Mostly you buy blueprints for weapons and basic versions of frames. But there are also a few weapons you can buy, already fully built, for credits. I recommend the Lex. But the important point is even early on there should be some weapons you can pick up and start leveling immediately, if you haven't already grabbed them. This lets you maybe even have other weapons buildings while mastering some you can nab from the market, a pretty decent way to grind mr early on. You're going to want to level them eventually anyway.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

The two times I've asked for help with a mission in the goon clan, I've gotten two different people immediately going "sure" and then helping like champs. In the thread, you folks have been great about answering questions. While I got ragged on mercilessly for getting stuck in the door in the dojo, I walked right into that.

What I'm getting at is, the goons in Warframe have been nothing but friendly, helpful, and just a joy to play with. I'm hoping that someday I can be that kind of help for a newbie in this game. :D

That door exists for people to get stuck in. And there are, or use to be, at least another pubbie trap or two. This and the flaming snowmen have been the source of most of the praise that our dojo gets.

Though I have to say I'm liking the recent lighting and color changes. Perhaps our entry room needs even more random poo poo?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

They're fairly easy to put together and sell too. As long as you have that top tier mining tool to be able to get all those nyths yourself, and are willing to actually grind those and wisps, you can make nice chunks of plat every now and again.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Is there any point to bringing a Mag to a group that mandates 4 corp pros and has a wide-range floorcleaning Equinox? I want to play Mag, but I have a feeling that it's just never going to work out for the group I usually run with. Is there hope?

Polarize is still good, crush still kinda works against infested, you can pull people around to crowd control for days, and any damage you do is feeding into all those big nukes the Equinox casts.

Samuringa posted:

I finally got all the goddamn Plastids and left the Rhino components cooking but I can't find the Blueprints on the Market. Do they only unlock when I have all the components crafted or something? The Wiki only says it costs 35k.

It's definitely in the market. Go to the market and then go to Warframes > Rhino, and then click on the little blueprint button in the bottom corner, below the plat button.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ya you've noticed how armor scaling in this game may not actually be all that balanced, this trend continues with level 100+ enemies just as dramatically.

Rhino and Excal are still good frames to have at this point. If you can get a Condition Overload mod from someone in chat, and if you have a weapon with a catalyst in it, then you can very quickly make your Excalibur murder those level 70-80 enemies. And as McKilligan said even if you can't do damage on Rhino you can still Roar and Stomp. Both of those are crazy strong and pretty much always appreciated. The CC on stomp is always a breath of fresh air and has randomly saved my live plenty of times, and Roar buffs the gently caress out of your teammate's damage so even if you can't keep up with Roar your teammate's can probably go another zone or two, at least, with that boost.

MR and levels and such aren't the best gauge of how far a frame or weapon has been pushed and what content it can tackle. Some frames can almost ignore gear and make it pretty far; Inaros or Ash with a Covert Lethality dagger, and Nidus is a thing that exists. But usually you have to consider both, later when you have options this becomes a lot more easy and fun. Like I just started playing Mag again recently and she's pretty good on her own, but polarize has caused me to break out and forma the torrid and zakti. I love those three together, they do fuckin work, and it's real easy for me to see a bunch of other things I can combo with Mag at MR 24.

So really, MR and gear level aren't really a good gauge of what you can take on. Rather I'd look to how many gimmicks you're stacking on top of each other to bring to a fight.

In the beginning your gimmicks are things like 'i put a lot of strength and range on my Rhino and this poo poo is even more hilarious.' Later on an Excal Chromatic Blade/Condition Overload build likes to (although this is going to change a little bit with exalted weapons becoming their own separately modable things) bring the gimmick of the basic mods the Rhino was using in addition to 'my Exalted Blade now does elemental damage instead of physical, i've used this to make a viral or gas and blast blade with mods on my weapon (which may or may not be a Mire just for an extra +10% toxic mod), i'm bringing a taxon for it's guaranteed cold proc, my base mods mean i'm never running out of energy, resulting in a never ending chromatic exalted blade constantly doing in between 4.10x and 16.78x damage at least, no i haven't considered combo counter bonus damage yet.'

Gimmicks yo, stack gimmicks to win. Some things require less gimmicks to be silly, but the more you're stacking the further you'll go, generally speaking.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

No and yes.

In the example of the heat sword it does regular damage with the gimmick of doing a heat explosion on ground slams, so you'd want to focus on damage overall rather than just heat. But the second thing is kinda accurate, if a weapon has low crit then simply do not try to stack crit on it. You're far better off stacking status if it has decent status chance, and if it doesn't then you probably just want raw damage, maybe some range depending on the weapon, and particularly for melee weapons, maybe some extra speed of some sort.

You're right in that you want to play to a weapon's strengths, but those strengths are typically 'has high crit,' 'has high status,' or 'has a fuckload of base damage.'

There are also things like syndicate mods that can drastically change a weapon's performance.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Two questions:

Does the discounting on Bladestorm work with any source of invisibility or just Smokescreen

How are people building Ash these days? I’m assuming a blend of duration and power with Arcane Trickery.

Ash's augments are pretty good. If you have high duration, likely because you aren't using arcane trickery, then the augment for his smoke screen can invis allies which is pretty okay. If you have more than 145% power strength his shuriken augment completely removes all armor on whatever it hits instantly, for 8 whole seconds. It's not useful much at all when rolling with a full corpro party but solo or in pub groups it's incredibly noticeable, absolutely wrecks things. And of course using Fatal Teleport and a dagger with Covert Lethality let's you one shot anything all the time.

Now that I have arcane trickery I'm focusing on strength and efficiency, but before then I had a balanced build with enough duration to get 18 seconds, I think, out of smoke screen and that still felt pretty strong.

His shuriken are stronger than most think, his invisibility is maybe the worst in the game and it's still pretty drat great when you need it or want to surprise things, Fatal Teleport owns, and Blade Storm is still very strong. He's good and fun, he just doesn't instant kill, toss around, or infect whole great swarms of enemies all at once so he doesn't get much play. But he scales really well, even without arcane trickery.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

In addition to that, don't the quests for Inaros, Nidus, and Harrow grant you a riven mod if you bought them before completing them respectively?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I run my Octavia with more range and duration and strength or efficiency and I find the bonus duration to completely take care of any energy needs she has. Strength does pump up over half the buffs she can dish out and it can be real nice, but i find a duration build means she never has energy problems and everyone stays invisible longer. Having slightly lower strength means mallet only takes one or two more really quick ticks to kill things, everything still dies the instant something gets one really good shot off on the thing.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

^Edit^: There are many plains resources you can get from free roam, and the regular grineer and the ghouls I think can drop some of those mods. But you'll get them far more quickly through bounties and I'd bet that all the gold rewards, Auguer Secrets etc, won't drop from anything but bounty rewards. Edit Again: It looks like the high rank/rarer mods only drop as bounty rewards or as drops from grineer that only spawn as a result of an assassination bounty. So bounties it is for all the rarer set mods.

Equinox is maybe the only frame that I would personally recommend buying for plat, I think that took me three or four days to grind with off and on couple hours long sessions each day. Then if you really feel like spending plat, buy any of the ones whose quests will give you a riven on completion if you already have them.

Aside from that, maybe Ivara is worth buying. She's ridiculously broken and some people really hate farming spy missions for her, or get really unlucky with it, or both. But I'd look up videos of her play style before buying her because she's different.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 5, 2018

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ivara is worth farming just so you can force yourself to actually learn the spy maps instead of avoiding them all the time.

Ya I'd agree to that. People complain about Lua spy all the time when in reality it's the best spy tileset.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Trinity just got a massive damage nerf, to a gimmick that was never intended to be that strong in the first place mind you, and she's still a welcome addition to probably any team doing any activity.

All of the frames are great. Okay not all of them but they constantly get changed and tweaked all the time, Saryn just got reworked and then updated two or three times in a row in only a week or two.

I have a dream that one day Wukong will have his broken large melee range by default, and anything else to make him good.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pipski posted:

Wukong's cloudwalk needs to actually let him zoom around on a fluffy little cloud, like in Monkey Magic.

Wukong thoughts. His cloudwalk should be like the vlad frame's mist ability that got shown off recently, except he should ride on top of it an still be invincible, and be able to control it mid flight and maybe even have it be a sustained ability. Make it have the really short stun proc 100% of the time on people he passes through, no knockdown or damage needed, just some slight gently caress you to big crowds.

I don't know if we even want to change his 3, it's kind of his tanky gimmick. Maybe he should just cause an aoe knockdown and perform an insulting gesture whenever he dies, instead of getting knocked down himself.

His 1 and his 4 are the same thing, one is just bad. Make either of them a version of his 4 and give him a new 4, probably just making his existing 4 better and giving him a new 1. They didn't give Khora an exalted weapon for her 1, so Wukong just needs a buffed or reworked 4 and a new 1. Probably something with some CC just to play up the lore of Wukong clowning on whole armies of people.

I don't even know what his passive is but make that something fun.

McKilligan posted:

I had an absolute blast just tearing around as an invisible Octavia and just ripping through hordes of enemies, plus Octavia's 3 buffs attack speed to make her an absolute monster. What other frames have abilities that would Synergize really well with this particular shaku build?

Volt with Speed, Valkyr with Warcry, Saryn's Toxic Lash will buff out your gas damage, and also Rhino's Roar. Any of those will do very well with any melee really, I want to say Saryn least of all of them but then again Toxic Lash's melee damage just got doubled so maybe that's real silly too.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I'm convinced they have more concept artists than they have people who know how to connect one mesh to another or actual animators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

wid posted:

They have a large animation team. Most games use the same animations for most weapons. Warframe has different animations for reloading for most weapons and each weapon class has unique idle animations per warframe. That means # of weapon class x # of warframes. Each melee class its own animations plus each stance per melee class.

The amount of work done for the game's subtler parts is insane for a F2P game. They could've easily gotten away with taking shortcuts like more recoloring of enemies and recycled animations but they'd rather be keeping all these people employed.

Concept designs are easier to create in quantity than animation or meshes.

Ya I'm well aware of all that, love the effort they put into the game, and definitely that the attention to tiny detail shows off. Their love for this game really shows and it helps me love it.

Also that blindfold is totally going through the hair model, and if I recall they even had clipping issues on the Sacrifice website graphics when it debuted. Don't get me wrong, I like this game, both how cool and how jank it is. Now where's my incredibly important hydroid prime trailer. Just to be clear, just in case, I'm at least a little excited for everything this game does and forgive delays because hey what do I know about game design, take time to make it good. I'm just here giving poo poo to a thing I like.