Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Karmalaa70 posted:

Looks like they'll be patching BG2EE tonight to fix memory leak and disappearing mobs on reload.

Link? Because I'm trying to figure out what to play now, and have been waiting on my BG run for news of that patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So did the patch actually work at fixing the disappearing monster bug? I'm curious since it only said it'd effect save games through the menu, not quicksaves.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I always thought there was a better path then Shadow Thieves for good characters?

I dunno, maybe I was just content murdering Bodhi, then destroying the Thieves Guild right before I left, leaving them a nonentity.

e: Does BG2EE have the stronghold bug where if you multiclass, you can start up two strongholds?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Some mediocre new NPCs, their addendant sidequests, and a few new items. Yes for some people, no for others.

BG2EE actually adds a few new zones in ToB apparently. They've also mentioned they'll be adding Ascension support/a toggle and will have conversations with Dorn/Neera/Rashad/Hexat added to it.

It's mainly a question of how much you care. BGEE fixes up BG, getting rid of most of the bugs, and adding a zoom/all the amenities of tutu without having you install tutu. I also find Neera and Dorn extremely useful, as they fill the lacking spot of a powerful good/neutral aligned mage, and a easy to find powerful evil aligned fighter. There's also the small QoL improvements across the board in terms of UI/menus/inventory/questlogs/resolution.

BG2EE is less improved because the variety of NPCs was already pretty solid, and the game engine didn't need much in the way of tweaks. I guess the only thing you get out of it is the potential new zones/Ascension modded in by the devs in ToB, plus the new NPCs ( which don't add nearly as much as they did in BGEE ). I guess the big thing for BG2EE is at this point is BGEE is better then BGtutu, so since you won't be using tutu, BG2EE will be better? But in that case you could probably just do BGEE - > BG2 base with no tutu at all.

I just bought both of them because I don't want to install the games off the discs anymore. That was enough for me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Haha what? The extended editions are buggy as all get out, and not the fun kind of bugs. The very first quest in the very first area of the first game is literally impossible to complete.

BGEE is now fixed as of 1.2.

BG2EE is buggier, but now on par with BG2 with tutu as of this first patch. Actually I'd say it has less bugs, they are just more severe.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Replacing Hexxat with Jan is the best thing that ever happened to me. Best character in the game hands down. Everything he says is pure gold.

Was planning on eventually using Imoen as my thief in his place since she's story-centric but now I just don't want to at all. Do you miss out on a lot of plot stuff by not using her later?

No.

Seriously, the "best" party is whoever you like, nobody gets more plot relevance then anyone else outside of a single character in ToB, and you'll know them when you meet them.

My party without question has always been Mazzy/Jan/Valygar/Keldorn/Minsc. Because why wouldn't you just want to be the hilarious deathball of bad one liners, quotes, and stories, but also goodness and one really sad stalker who will likely be replaced with Neera this time around.

Bringing Jan/Mazzy/Minsc to the major events of the game is pretty much required for at least one playthrough. They all have such unique responses to the world altering events they are taking part in.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ultimately the Neera quests fell flat for me because, knowing what I do of Thay, I have a really hard time believing they would give the first gently caress about Wild Mages.

Last I checked, back in BG1/2 Wild Mages would have been extremely rare, and extremely powerful, entirely because the Weave was still intact. Remember, this isn't yet Thay under Szass, it's Thay under the Zulkirs, and if one of them felt a powerful wild mage was worth studying, that's all that would be needed to chase her.

Though I find it strange you fight Szass Tamm considering the Spellplague hadn't happened yet.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

No, it was not. Wild magic was introduced in 2E when Mystra (mk. 1) died, creating wild magic and dead magic zones across Faerun that the churches of Mystra and Torm were only slowly healing. The Spellplague, as I understand it (I've paid little attention to 4E) just dramatically expanded and accelerated the damage and deterioration already present.

Which would still support my point. Wild Mages came into being due to the Time of Troubles, but only became more prevalent with the Spellplague. As the Bhaalspawn Crisis occurs only a few years after the Time of Troubles ( but a hundred years or so before the Spellplague. ), Wild Mages would still be a very new phenomenon, and this would attract the Red Wizards of Thay. A random peasant girl who could control that kind of magic that easily would not be ignored by the Red Wizards, they'd send somebody to go get her for study/force recruitment. Especially since all it would take is a single Zulkir to be curious enough to send his men to go grab her, as this was before a united Thay.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 30, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Devorum posted:

I've discovered that not only is Mazzy, who I have never used over at least 6-7 playthroughs in the last decade, a Great Character, but that a party with her, Keldorn, Jaheira, Jan, and Neera has amazing banter. I've since traded Jan for Imoen, and I'm really missing his banter. But...I didn't want to have him stranded in the Asylum. I might pick him back up when I get back to the surface...I know Imoen is my sister and all, but she is really very bland.

Mazzy has the best responses to some of the ToB events as well. She's got the "Whelp, I'm a Halfling gearing up to rekill a god, this is a bit more then I planned this morning." thing down pat.

Honestly, I've never figured out why people don't use her more. She's got a ton of banter with fellow great characters Jan, Keldorn, and Minsc, has some amazing stats, and by the end of SoA will be a Grandmaster in multiple things. Hell, she's actually unkillable at the end of ToB with Hardiness, since Halflings have such high saving throws. She can be used to easily cheese most of the Ascension fights.

My inability to have a party without Jan/Mazzy at the very least is one of the big reasons I can't beat BG2 evil.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I know the bleed Valygar spams on everyone trivializes all nonLich Mage Battles in 2, but that's more equipment based then class based.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, what's the Charisma requirement to keep Viconia/Keldorn from fighting? I remember when I last played I had both of them in my part from intro to the end of ToB with no conflicts, but then again I think I had something like 25 Charisma by the end of that game.

Also is there any way to get her to not leave at 19 Rep? I assume I'll have to use a mod, so is there a mod that works with the EE?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wouldn't a mace also be really easy to learn? I imagine with Swords you'd have to learn how to swordfight, parry, and be able to determine what areas to pierce. Spears would require knowledge of formations/how to use your base/weight to hit weak points. Even twohanded weapons would require learning pivots/how you use your own body to increase force in blows. Maces, clubs, and sticks all function under the "beat them until he stops twitching" school of thought. Anybody could pick up a mace and know exactly how to kill a person with it, no other questions asked.

When the character presumably can't get much combat training because they are so busy healing/praying/other clerical duties, I could see why they'd go in with maces.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Corvinus posted:

Minsc is a rather limited one-trick pony, but Jan plays off the other characters better.

You cannot convince me the canon BG2 party doesn't have Jan in it. Seriously, I don't care what some stupid book said, the canon party has Jan in it.

e: If you want some "good rarely used characters" might I suggest Mazzy? She's literally unkillable in ToB if you grab Hardiness, is voiced by fan favorite VA Hale, and has some great dialogue with all other party members.

ee: Honestly, the "best" party I've ever run was Jan/Mazzy/Keldorn/Valygar/Anomen with a Wild Mage PC. Jan has lines trolling every single party member, so he's a given. Mazzy works well off both the PC, Valygar, Keldorn, and Anomen, and has a few bits with Jan. Keldorn/Anomen/Mazzy have the whole paladins/clerics/fuckups arc going on, which is more important then most banters end up being. And Valygar ends up trying to get some pointers from Keldorn. It works -fairly- well for a party with a good amount of banter in it.

For a sillier party, take Viconia and go remove the reputation issue with EEKeeper so she won't leave at max rep, and remove the Keldorn/Viconia fight. Then do Viconia, Keldorn, Jan, Mazzy, and one other.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 29, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
If a paired companion dies and is resurrected, does it break the scripting?

Want to run Minsc next game without Dynaheir ( because unlike Khalid, she's terrible ), but never felt good about killing paired characters off.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Going through again, why did Khalid ever get a hatefanclub?

He's got good Dex/Con, so once you get him Ogre Power, he's a perfect early game Fighter. He's also able to grab mastery in a weapon or two pretty quickly, which makes him better then Ajantis/Yeslick once he has the Gauntlets. And he's good with a bow, which helps out a bunch in the early game.

Shar-Teel is evil and just doesn't have enough Con to justify using her, Yeslick is alright, but suffers from both low Strength and low Dex. Ajantis is better I guess, especially since the Dex Gauntlets are easier to get then the Ogre Power ones, but he can't use bows/won't get mastery by the end of the game like Khalid will, so it still seems they are fairly evenly matched.

So why all the Khalid hate?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

kingcom posted:

Cause his morale always seems to break in combat when I use him. 'Better part of valor!'

Morale is Charisma dependent though, and Jaheria's 15 Charisma is more then enough to keep him in line.

Oh wait, everyone here treats Charisma as a dump stat don't they? So Khalid was just breaking ranks constantly for you guys. That's explains it quite a bit.

^^^^

I get that, just saying, people loathe the guy, which doesn't make sense considering he's a fine character in the early game ( just not as good as Kivan/Ajantis ), but matches them in the endgame.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

kingcom posted:

No I run with an 18 Charisma paladin so that doesn't explain anything. I'm fairly sure Khalid has seperate values which are much lower cause him to break. I mean its not a big deal but its much easier to drop him.

Odd. The first time I played I had an 18 Charisma Fighter ( don't ask ), and he barely ever broke morale. The last two times I've played I put Jaheria in charge, and again, barely any issues.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Going through the Icewind Dale series again, trying to make a thematically consistent party. ( I got to some snakeman temple as a kid, somehow savescummed my way through it, then gave up at the end of the chapter. )

Currently thinking of going Fighter/Barb/Cleric/Sorcerer/Ranger/Rogue. Am I going to be setting myself up for any sort of longterm failure? Or should that party get me through the game alright?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I haven't tried IWD2 yet, but half those classes don't exist in the first game if you're talking about playing through both. I had pretty good success with Paladin/FT/FM/Cleric/Druid/Bard though I'm a bit stuck on the last dungeon. All the AoE stuff the caster types can throw out simultaneously is obscene, though if I were starting over I'd probably skip the FM, who ended up being pretty underpowered by the endgame.

Boo, just checked, and you are right, Sorc and Barb aren't in a game set in the Dales. Yet you can be a Paladin? Why would a Paladin be wandering around Icewind Dale. This is a cold place full of fishermen and sadness, not holy quests.

How is Druid? I never really liked them compared to Clerics, but I suppose a more nature focused character could work. Would leave me with only one real frontliner though, unless I make the Ranger a upclose style fighter.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

What are you planning to do with the Ranger? If you intend to make him a frontliner, just know that Ranger dual wielding isn't technically implemented in IWD1 (rather than able to hold an offhand weapon, a one-handed weapon with no shield gets 1 extra APR).

I'd personally consider doing some dual/multi- classing with that party. Your rogue, for instance, can easily dual into a Mage since you only need so many rogue skills in these games and the rest can be taken care of by spells and items. I'd really want at least another arcane caster, especially if my only pure arcane user is a Sorcerer, and a mix-in of a mage gives you added versatility.

If you have the expansion packs for IWD1, a Bard adds a lot of utility to the party. The first two or three chapters might be kind of dull with them but their songs will eventually provide the best free healing and excellent buffs. The convenience of the late game songs and their supplementary spells make them a great support member that's worthy of a party slot, IMHO.

Think I'll make him a 2handed frontliner. At least if that's still possible in IWD1.

Current thought is Fighter ( s&b ), Ranger ( 2h ), Thief ( bow ), Sorc, Cleric, Druid. Druid/Sorc should be able to cover magic needs, with the Thief UMDing scrolls I find if needbe. Might actually go Bard though for the basic traps/locks while also getting songs.

I'd rather not dual/multi if possible, I messed up my IWD2 game as a kid through trying that stuff out, and it really soured me on the idea. I understand it's a great way to solve stuff like this, but I just don't know the classes well enough to know when it'd be a good time to switch.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

I'm pretty sure it's DOA. It's a shame, BG2 EE started out really strong with the UI upgrade and planned features, but as time goes on they're intent on losing any good will they generated.

You can apparently use the BigPicture mega mod which adds it, while just making sure to not add anything else in the package.

This is just a quick google search answer though, no idea how well it works.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So for those who care, I can confirm Ascension works fine on BG2EE if you use the BP installer. Just download the entire megamod, unchoose everything but Ascension, and it'll install a working version with no bugs.

Apparently all the stuff in the megamod works as well, though not sure if anything else in Big Picture is worth it.

Also with that confirmation, what's uh, what's the benefit to the tougher boss fights? The epilogue changes make sense but the fighter I brought in from BG2 just got SMOKED by the archer Illasera.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 28, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

dvl posted:

Nice timing, I'm planning a new run of BG2 after I finish Original Sin in a few days and I just came here to ask about Ascension. Having not used BP before does it also work with SCS, Tweak pack and Dungeon-be-gone?

According to the forums, it works fine with SCS because all you are doing is installing Ascension through it. The second you install any of it's combat/AI fixes though you hit some problems because they conflict.

Tweak Pack is actually included in Big Picture according to the forums, so just install it through there.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jygallax posted:

2) whenever I've attempted to dive into BG before I always get super anxious to put together my final party ASAP because I don't want experience points going to people I won't use. The problem is I have no idea what sort of party I should form. All the walkthroughs don't give any clear answers, they just weigh the pros and cons of each character and leave the decision up to me. I don't trust myself to make a good party, I need somebody to just straight up tell me what party to make, leaving nothing up to me to decide. So, recommendations would be appreciated.

On this point.

In BG1, you'll likely stick to the starting characters with one or two lategame exceptions. Thing is you can't get those lategame exceptions until end of chapter 3/4/5ish anyways, so you can't really rush them. However they do start at a higher level/with better gear to compensate for this.

The base game itself does a good job of pushing you to good characters. If you have BGEE, you start with Imoen, who is a thief. After getting to the Friendly Arm Inn you get Khalid/Jaheria who fill the slot of front line/divine caster. Getting to Nashkel gets you Neera at Beregost ( Mage ), Minsc/Dynaheir at Nashkel ( Ranger/Mage ), or Branwen ( Nashkel Fair ).

At this point you have a good set of options on how to advance. As Kajeesus mentioned you basically just need two frontliners, a thief, a healer/support type, and a mage.

From what I listed.

- Imoen is the canon thief and plays an important part in the series, so might as well stick with her. You can get some better characters in Baldurs Gate proper, but that's much later in the game.
- Minsc is a frontline Ranger and can beserk to get out of status effects. He hits really hard and can set lots of major enemies as his enemy types. No reason not to use him.
- Khalid has some morale issues if you try to minmax the game, but he's a good enough fighter to get you to the end of the game if your character doesn't start as a fighter. With Minsc backing him up/a good back line he shouldn't have many problems.
- Jaheria or Branwen can both fill the roll of divine healer depending on whether you'd have a Druid or a Cleric in the role. Branwen costs quite a bit to free, and has more buffs. Jaheria starts with the party and has more debuffs. Personally I'd say stick with Jaheria because she's canon, plays a role in 2, and if you kick her Khalid leaves.
- If you don't have BGEE you get stuck with Dynaheir. If you do have EE go with Neera.

The only real "change" you could hit later is maybe wanting to add Yeslick to your party in an attempt to combine Khalid/Jaheria's roles and open up another party slot for a second thief or something.

BG2 is basically Mass Effect 2 "collect your crew" the game, so I can't even begin writing up who to gun for in that. Just do quests and find people.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

FairGame posted:

1.) Sorcerers > Mages in pretty much every circumstance. There's just not enough good spells at each level.
2.) You can beat BG1 with pretty much any party, and you'll hit the XP cap if you do all the content. D&D low level xp is kinda weird anyway; a fighter with 8k experience (extraordinarily easy to attain) will be as good as a fighter with 15999, and so on. Other than some key levels (fighters get an extra 1/2 attack at level 7, clerics get level 2 spells including the overpowered Hold Person at level 3, etc.) you don't need to worry about levels too much.

The expansion doubled the xp cap, but most characters could only gain 1-2 levels with all that extra room. Like...half the cap's exp will go toward moving people from level 7 to 8.

So use whoever feels interesting. If you want an obscenely overpowered party that's easy to set and forget: ranged weapons rule Baldur's Gate. Recruit Kivan (in the area called "High Hedge" immediately to the west of Beregost) and Coran (on one of the Cloakwood maps; not accessible until Chapter...4?). Give them magical longbows. They will rain death on everything.

I wouldn't really suggest Kivan to new people though, since he's a crutch and will leave most peoples parties after they spend tons of gold on him.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My first BG2 party was my human fighter with 20+ Charisma/~10 Dex and Strength/18ish Int ( I was 12-14ish and thought of the stats as personal stats, rather then in gameplay terms. ), Aerie, Keldorn, Minsc, Jan, and Anomen.

By the time I hit ToB I was sick of Anomen's poo poo, so I traded him in for Sarevok, which led to my party being 4 front line fighters a cleric/mage, and Jan.

I remember HATING Jaheria because it felt like she was trying to take over the party, so I constantly enjoyed kicking her out at the start.

I also beat the entire game on Core Rules, which I'm still not sure how I managed it.

When I went back at a later date after finally beating BG1/knowing how to play the game/being an adult, I went Wild Mage PC/Minsc/Jan/Mazzy/Jaheria/Keldorn.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I thought it was mentioned that Bhaals been planning this for years, you and Sarevok just came from the larger human/last batch of kids before the Time of Trials. Presumably Bhaal got busy with dragons/elves millenia ago.

Also the events of the series occur over something like 10-20 years don't they?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

El was using Elmara as a disguise until at least the mid-1370s, so it's not impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it a go, considering all of Elminster's children - I'd start looking at Silverfall, the Seven Sisters, and Elminster's Daughter for any hints.

BG1, BG2, and ToB all take place in 1368 (see Grand History of the Realms page 148.)

Wait, so the events of all three games take place over the course of a single year?

How is that even possible?

e: No, apparently it all ends in 1369/1370, so it's 2-3 years.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 31, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I found out that you can have an abortion in the IwD2 NPC mod

I was going to ask how well written those mods are, as the idea of having a premade party for IWD1/2 seemed like a good one, but well, that seems to answer that question.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm going through the games again as a bit of a celebration. I'm thinking of actually using some mods but I want goon opinions first.

- How is the bg1 banter pack? My big problem going back to BG1 is how flat all the companions are so the idea of a banter mod is appealing. Is it actually well written though?

- Same question for IWD and the NPC mod. I assumed it was written by the same person who wrote the IWD2 NPC mod, but apparently it wasn't, and most people consider the IWD2 mod to be not worth it. Lots of nongoon praise for the IWD NPC mod though, so curious if it's worth a look.

- How can you tell if Luremaster is installed? It isn't showing up on my splash screen, but I can't install it since this is the Master Anthology.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I think it's fairly solid. Just make sure to install the BG:EE version because it involves bugfixes. You should find it under BG:EE mods subforum on their forums.

Also the romances are... rudimentary and not all that great. The conversation options in the romances feel like minefields you have to tiptoe around to not accidentally end the relationship in one conversation.

I have absolutely no intention of going through a romance in a RPG, especially not one written by players. Just wanted the characters to feel a bit more alive.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Quantumfate posted:

It has been absolutely forever since I've played the original Baldur's Gate- I'm normally more of a fan of the sequel. Still, I've just recently picked up the enhaned edition for my tablet and have started up a new game. I'm a half elf ranger with fantastic stats- I'm not sure what party to throw together though. I would like a party mostly good, but maybe with edwin. Maybe try out some of the new enhanced edition characters? What can you fine goons recommend to me. Also after having been to the friendly arms and picked up imoen, jaheira, khalid, xzar and monty I'm unsure where to go other than to nashkel- should I?

Neera is alright if you can handle her voice, and like the main character, actually attempts to fill in lore bits as to what is happening in Faerun thanks to the Time of Troubles. ( Namely the fact that Wild Mages are now a thing, and what the hell ARE they. )

She's also one of the only good aligned Mages in BGEE that doesn't suck, so I'd say grab her and turn off voice responses if her voice drives you crazy. She's hanging around in Beregost, so you can pick her up on your way to Nashkel.

Minsc is in Nashkel, he'll give you a good front liner to go along with Khalid. He has a quest to go save Dynaheir which you should do for the exp/to make sure he doesn't leave but Dynaheir isn't really the best character so I usually get her killed/leave her behind.

Outside of that there aren't that many NPCs you could go pick up. If you want you can go to High Hedge to pick up Kivan, who trivializes most of the game thanks to his high stats, but if you don't get to the Bandit Camp fast enough he'll leave your party with all the gold/items you invested in him. If you want a Cleric rather then a Druid you can also go to the Nashkel Carnival and buy a Stone to Flesh scroll to turn Branwen back into a human, she'll join your party for it. If you really hate Khalid, you could go north from the Friendly Arm and savescum your way past the Ankhegs to pick up Ajantis. He's got the personality of a wet board, but he's a better "good" frontliner then Khalid is.

The thing is though, the "canon" party has the most personality of all the characters in BG1, and they function just fine. I'd say Jaheria edges out Branwen as a divine caster, Khalid/Minsc are fine frontliners without Ajantis, Imoen is the best Thief you'll have until Baldurs Gate and at that point why replace her, and Neera is about on par with Edwin. Dynaheir is the only weak link, but you can leave her behind in Nashkel by locking her in a building. It also makes the intro to BG2/using Minsc and Jaheria again in BG2 that much better since you actually have been traveling with them for days.

As for the other EE NPCs, Rashaad is disliked by goons both for his class as well as his personality, and Dorn is a totally evil Blackguard with a very pushy romance.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: ^^ People... dislike Dorn? I don't care about his pushy romance but he's a strong frontliner. And I like Rasaad since he gets good in BG2. (Give him a sword or something in BG1 to make him not-useless.)

Nope, I think he's great in Evil parties. Guy was just saying he wants to keep a good party, and Dorn doesn't really fit in that mold at all, being evil as hell.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Khalid is tied to party leader Charisma last I checked. Most people treat Charisma as a dump stat so Khalid runs in fear constantly in minmax parties.

In every game I've done my character has been party lead, and he has 10+ Charisma. Khalid never broke morale except for one or two really bad fights when someone died.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Morale is supposed to be tied to charisma, but who can say if it is? I was just playing with an 18-charisma PC, and Khalid would run from every other fight where I had to heal him to keep him tanking.

Was your PC the party lead?

My first character was an 18 Cha Fighter and he never broke once. He broke once on my 16 Cha Mage, and 2-3 times on my 14 Cha Wild Mage. On both Mages he was breaking constantly with him/Minsc in party lead, but once my Mage was party lead he stopped breaking.

On this latest game since I'm a Mage again I just have Jaheria as party lead and her Charisma seems to be high enough as well as he hasn't broken morale yet.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here's the saddest post I'll ever make.

I've played and beaten BG1/2 2-3 times. I've beaten Planescape twice, and have gone through both IWD games 3-4 times. I've beaten the Temple of Elemental Evil, and have gone through god knows how many NWN and NWN2 modules.

I've never dual/multiclassed a single class, because I've never bothered putting the time into figuring it out, and have always been worried I'll "ruin" the character.

Anyone willing to do a introductory post on the how to dual/multiclass for someone who has never played the tabletop game?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do the new NPCs react/work if you never used them in BGEE?

About to start a new game, and thinking of just going canon party, rather then canon - Dynaheir. I've never given Dynaheir a real chance, but I'm thinking of trying her out now that I have this banter pack.

But since she bites it in 2, and I'll need a new mage, I'm going to be using Neera. What carries over on the new NPC stuff? Would it be better to do Neera's quest in BG1 if I care about her story in 2? Can I just completely ignore her?

Also what pack do I have to use to install the Stronghold mod into BG2EE? I only really care about the Fighter/Mage strongholds, but I've always liked having both.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

Nothing carries over on the EE characters. Neera's BG2 quests are completely divorced from her BG1 quests in terms of plot, too.

They are? That's silly but understandable I suppose.

BG1 NPC Banter pack is both amazing and terrible at the same times. I'm enjoying seeing Khalid/Jaheria/Imoen talk about stuff as they would from their BG2 personalities. On the other hand, they need to tone it down/have them shut up a bit. I've had Imoen pop up to talk to me about adventuring 10 times or so just from Candlekeep to Beregost. It can't imagine they can keep this up all the way to the end of the game, and if they could, I'm not sure I want them to.

I'm also really not sure what to do with this game as I hit Beregost. I like making a Fighter with 18 Str/Dex/Con that hits things really well, and it's always done me right in BG1. The problem is that every time I hit BG2, I end up using Mazzy/Keldorn/Minsc/Sarevok/more melee guys because all the melee guys are the best, and Nalia/Aerie are kind of creepy/poorly written. So I want to actually have a Mage of some sort this time.

Neera works I suppose for the slot, but I've been thinking of making my PC a Mage as well. Except I HATE playing Mage in BG1. You basically have to rely entirely on the other party members to do anything for half the game. It's just not very fun at all.

So do I keep going forward with the Mage and just suck it up? Reroll as a Fighter and just deal with a 3-4 Fighter party in BG2? Dualclass a Fighter/Mage? ( Could I even cast spells in Plate/hit things from time to time? ). Trying to figure it all out.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So alright, this is dumb, but I'm going to do it and learn how to play DnD better.

I'm going to finally play a dual class character, and do a basic Fighter > Mage. No fancy Kensai/Beserker/Wizard Slayer kits because I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

- What are the best levels to dual from Fighter to Mage and why? I haven't actually played a DnD game for awhile, so I forget what Fighters get per level.

- Will I keep my ability to use swords/flails/whatever? Wondering if I should be putting points into Long Swords or Quarterstaffs. On that note, whats the "best" thing to become proficient in if I can only choose one.

- Will I get access to both HLAs in ToB or just the Mages? According to the rulebooks I'm finding online, you only get the HLAs of the class you dual into, but every bit of info I can find on message boards is saying they love Fighter/Mage over Kensai/Mage because "you get both HLAs!". However would I need to get my Fighter to 18 to get HLAs? ( or whatever level you need to be to get HLAs, I completely forgot and am just assuming it's around 20. )

- How is this class even going to play? Will it basically just be a Fighter that can cast Breach? A Fighter that can stack magical buffs on itself to cover for no Armor, then rush in with selfHaste? Or a Mage with a health pool that shouldn't be scoffed at, that can also hit things really hard when it runs out of spells. Trying to get a feel for the playstyle before I hit BG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Multiclass ( and Kensai ) seems like it falls back to the original problem I had with a Mage in BG1, ie I start out far too weak, and I'm just not patient enough to babysit 2 Mages through BG1 anymore.

With dual, I can start as a powerful Fighter with all the defense that offers, and then when I beat BG1 I can switch over to Mage and start leveling that up. Between scroll leveling, the massive health pool, and the fact the rest of my party is pretty high level, I can't imagine it'd be difficult to relevel again as a Mage before I really start getting into the main cycle of BG2 questing.

Honestly the only thing I'm hesitant about is losing Hardiness, but that isn't the end of the world. Most of the other Fighter HLAs are covered well enough by Mage spells, or won't even be noticed by me ( as this is the first time I'll be playing BG2/ToB with a Mage in my party at all. The last 2-3 times I beat the games I won all Mage fights by hitting them until they stopped casting. )