Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Looks like they'll be patching BG2EE tonight to fix memory leak and disappearing mobs on reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Link? Because I'm trying to figure out what to play now, and have been waiting on my BG run for news of that patch.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24852/bgii-ee-1-2-2030-11-20-2013#latest

Since I posted that they did change it to within the next 24 hours (initially it said tonight).

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Rookersh posted:

So did the patch actually work at fixing the disappearing monster bug? I'm curious since it only said it'd effect save games through the menu, not quicksaves.

Seems to have fixed it. I only had time to run Irenicus' dungeon last night but I quicksaved and reloaded many times to test it and never had anything disappear.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
The Ninja-To is only usable by Monks until a thief/bard gets Use Any Item.

I think that, Belm, and Kundane are the only + APR weapons, unless the EE added more.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I need advice for dualclassing from swashbuckler into mage for BG2. I want to go 2 weapons and buff/touch spells sorta thing with trap detection. What level should I dual into mage and what proficiencies should I take?

Level 10 is the typical dual point for Swashbuckler to Mage. Don't know what proficiencies you'd want. I'd guess at least 1 pip in short swords or scimitars for a +APR weapon.

As far as BG2EE goes, I started a game after the patch and haven't run into any bugs as of yet. A few minor annoyances (NPCs always voice their selection sounds when initiating dialogue so they talk over themselves, all merchants/commoners look like they have Iron Skins on or are Drow or something) but that's about it.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Does this mean 9 thief levels and then dual class or 10 levels?

10. Swashbucklers get -1 AC and +1 to hit/damage bonuses at level 10.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Davoren posted:

One thing I've always wondered about monks in infinity engine, do I need to put any pips in either single or dual weapon styles to get the most out of their fist attacks, or is unarmed it's own seperate thing?

Separate thing, though it's still worth putting a point in single weapon style when you need to use an enchanted weapon on creatures you couldn't otherwise hit with your fists.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
The only time Valygar shows even a hint of personality is when Mazzy makes him her squire. It's pretty funny but only a couple lines of dialogue. He is a good fighter but Jaheira is much stronger overall.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I think it was said a few pages back, but there is nothing more aggressively terrible than the maze level of Watcher's Keep. It's the opposite of fun.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

No, I have one, but the xp reward for picking the lock is pretty meaningless at this point so I've just been forcing through everything instead to save time and effort. Obviously won't be doing so anymore, but I still feel like it's something a lot of other new players are going to try too, since we're not conditioned to not even bother trying due to the old versions.

It's just plain a lot less trouble to mash bash on doors instead of having to single select my thief then maybe move the rest of the party out of his way then pick the lock with him

Selecting your thief and lockpicking takes..3 seconds? C'mon now.

I am up to Abazigal's Enclave and I can't remember any bugs I've had. I'm not using any of the new NPCs but likely will on my next run through both EEs.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is it me, or are pathfinding and AI scripts even more hosed in BGEE than they were in BG1? Characters frequently take the long way around or just get stuck trying to walk into a wall instead of going around to the stairs/ramp, or else just stop walking for no reason. Characters also sometimes auto-attack with AI off, and Jaheira's been casting spells despite being set to cleric passive (wasting Summon Insects on a loving wolf, or casting Bless multiple times in a row). :iiam:

Don't know about scripts but the pathing is pretty awful, though honestly I notice it much more in BG2EE. The Baldur.ini file has pathing nodes set to 32K, so you'll probably want to change that to 400K. I'm not sure that makes that big of a difference but at least it's something.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah I don't see how a mod not working is on Beamdog. That's on the modder(s).

What Beamdog should be criticized for is not patching BG2EE in 8 months. I played through when it was released and hadn't even checked up on the game until recently and I found out that nothing's been done in the interim. That's pretty absurd, even for a very small company.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm enthusiastic for it because Icewind Dale is a pain to play on modern systems even with mods, but at the same time I am wondering why they're bringing over Baldur's Gate 2 classes and kits into the game as it would screw up the encounter design badly unless they tweaked them.

Story mode is also a dumb idea too, it would have worked better for... Baldur's Gate really, where if CHARNAME dies it wouldn't be an instant game over.

I'll still get it but some of it does seem like weird choices to make.

I'm torn on getting this because I *very much doubt* that Beamdog has/will tweak balance to account for the new kits/spells. I expect it's just copying over the engine and all that goes with it to a game not at all balanced for those features. Also, there seems to be hardly any additional content, and that story mode thing seems pointless.

New, smoother engine is tempting though.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
GOG versions seem to work pretty well, though I have gotten some random ~3 second freezes from time to time (BG2, IWD2 a couple times though I've barely played that one).

Beamdog will almost certainly release IWD2EE next. Suckers (like me) will keep handing them money so why the hell not.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Me too. Looking forward to it, but I'm not sure if it's a Day 1 purchase for me due to Beamdog's buggy initial releases and their incredible slowness to patch. Still waiting on 1.3 (I think?) for BG2EE.

They said the patch would be out by Christmas, which would be 13 months since release. Slowness doesn't even cover it, glacial is more apt.

I did end up pre-ordering IWDEE though. After the announcement of the EE, I installed IWD on my computer and it didn't run very well, even using various ddraw fixes so I figured why not. I look forward to playing it in 2017 when it's fully patched.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I made it to the start of Kresselack's Tomb last night (so maybe an hour and a half in) and didn't have any problems. Doesn't seem to be many posts in their IWD bug forum either, for whatever that's worth.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah I'm not using kits or weapon styles because I thought it'd be too easy as well. Using a paladin, fighter, fighter/thief, druid, cleric/illusionist, and bard on..the one between core and insane (hard?).

I'll use kits and stuff on another playthrough sometime just to see how broken they are in this game.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
To change Cleric/Ranger to the BG version (all divine spells):

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36188/neat-little-option-that-cleric-rangers-players-might-be-interested-in-knowing#latest

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Think they just started beta testing the patch for BG2EE. Probably be another month at least before it's released.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Got home and it seems the patch for BG2EE is available? I honestly expected a months long beta since it just was released for testing last week I think.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

CobiWann posted:

The one thing I miss with BG:EE is the inter-party banter from TuTu. It added a bit of color.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32379/bg1npc-for-bgee-prerelease-update-v21-pr-20141223/p1

There's that. I've never used it nor read through that thread but might be worth a shot.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
All these years later and after countless runs through the series, I still quicksave all the time, even knowing what's around the next corner. It's just ingrained behavior now and I don't think I could stop doing it if I tried.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I'll buy this for sure even though I'm less than thrilled with Beamdog's writing to date.

If that 25 hours of playtime is remotely accurate that's a decent amount of content, though I wonder how much it'll unbalance BG2's early stages.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
The new character sheet/inventory/sprite outlines, etc. all look like rear end, but not to worry, they say they'll address them in the update after SoD is released.

(so about 15 months from now)

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I have all 3 previous EE releases but I'm waiting on SoD. I'll get it if the reviews are highly positive but otherwise I'll just give this one a pass.

The EE engine is nice, but up until this update there have still been enough bugs and/or annoyances that I've felt that Tutu -> BG2 is still superior. Maybe they've smoothed things out in the 2.0 patch(es), but that remains to be seen. Beamdog replacing their hideous UI re-design with a fan created UI literally a day before release does not inspire confidence.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

psudonym55 posted:

So the new UI is possibly the uglyist thing I have seen in a very long time. I'm really really hating it. Everything feels super cramped and clustered. Like they just took everything and squashed it all together and then shoved it in an area half the size of before. The icons for memorized spells are tiny to the point of being hard to read. The new character sheet tab has several redundant sections including one for all the spells you know which you can clearly see by looking at your spellbook and a list of everything in your inventory which you know you could just look at your inventory and see. I'm really hoping that an option to revert it back is added or that a mod to convert it back is developed soon.

Beaten already, but yeah, wait until a UI mod you like is made. That's what I'm gonna do anyway.

The UI is so bad that I have to believe the changes were made for non-PC use and maybe it looks better on tablets and such. Otherwise I can't even guess what they were shooting for.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

But is it the patch or the xpac? Like, do I need to make sure to not update my current versions or just not buy and install the xpac?

The expansion is causing mods to break on Steam/GOG versions. The Beamdog version is apparently fine.

It's explained in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49877/bgee-sod-directory-structure/p1.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
It's been 15 years or however long it's been since IWD released, but I remember casting Web and Entangle a LOT. Those and the druid spell Spike Growth (? something like that) could take down a lot of things before they can even get to you.

Also I think I still get irrationally angry thinking about Bombardier Beetles.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, you can pickpocket two Rings of Free Action. I abused that a lot during my first playthrough.

Yeah I found about those two rings when I read a walkthrough after finishing my run. Would have helped a lot but there's no way I'd have known about them going in spoiler free.

And..the Beamdog forums. Jesus Christ. I'm thinking those are people who just don't like the company and they are using this moral outrage for a very minor NPC as a way to vent. At least I hope there's not that many people so thin-skinned they lose their poo poo over something so meaningless.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

Alright, I forgot what I'm supposed to do avoid everyone dying to Aec'Letec the moment he gives them a funny look. Any advice?

Potions of Magic Shielding, guaranteed saving throws for....I forget the duration (3 turns maybe?), but it's more than enough to take him down easily. Use fireballs, arrows of detonation, etc. to take down the cultists and then focus fire Aec down.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Are the bad reviews just Grrr social justice?

There are some legit gripes with bugs and the UI, but yes, mostly it is manufactured outrage about the transgender NPC and Minsc's easter egg line poking fun at Gamergate.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Saw April 14th as the date for the next update (although I can't find that post again on the Beamdog forums). I really hope that the BG2EE UI is updated because right now it's using the awful beta version, which is so much worse than the SoD UI it's hard to believe the same people worked on both.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Beamdog will be 'improving' the transgender NPC's writing and removing Minsc's easter egg line.

The whiners win.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
I'm not positive but I think the EE games have true grandmastery like vanilla BG.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
^ Don't think he's playing the EEs.

Also, patch out for Baldur's Gate EEs (not IWD).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Radio Talmudist posted:

Holding down the mouse button...but drat, have I been doing something so basic incorrectly all this time?

EDIT: So I tried just clicking on an item once and it takes five seconds for BG2EE to process the input. Strange.

The EEs do have inventory lag for some people since the latest update(s), but it's usually a 2-3 second thing. The item comparison thing they added is causing it and they're aware of it, but it doesn't sound like a new patch will be anytime soon.