Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Duckman2008 posted:

Microsoft:
For now just go to the Microsoft Tablet thread, overall the main feedback on Windows 8 is that it is a bit of a cluster gently caress, but Windows RT tablets are still not recommended because of poor app support, and if you need the desktop features the Surface Pro offers you might want to consider a laptop.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393

That isn't true. Every tablet in that thread is running full Windows 8.1 not RT. RT is basically dead at this point.

Everything besides the Surface Pro or the higher levels of Dell Venue 11 Pro are the next generation of netbooks with the keyboard cut off and a copy of Office included. It works well enough on all the basic stuff on the go and you can connect it to an external monitor for the full PC experience.

Wouldn't call it a cluster gently caress but the lack of apps does gimp it compared to other tablets. It's probably best for students or people who travel alot.

(Here's a really extreme example of some guy connecting a Venue 8 Pro to four external monitors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

1st AD posted:

A small App Store is a real serious limitation. Very few people need to work on documents in a tablet sized device.

He's right about it being able to do the basics of what people need. Metro IE, mail app, social/media apps, games (granted not nearly as many as Android or iOS) are all tablet/touch friendly and having the full desktop available is extremely useful in plugging whatever gaps there are in the App store.

Most people don't need to work on documents in a tablet sized device but connect it to a tv, add a bluetooth keyboard & mouse and you get an instant desktop. In a little tablet sized device you can carry around with you all day.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rent posted:

And 2) unlike a lot of apps on Android, apps on the Surface ARE optimized. There are no phone apps on the Windows Store. Smaller app store, of course, but they're all "optimized" for it, at least.

Although, if the current rumor is true, Microsoft's thinking about merging the phone store with the current one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

git clone trooper posted:

Why should someone buy a windows tablet over a nexus or ipad with a keyboard case?

I think it really depends on the person.

If you're absolutely broke or a student or a person that travels alot, buying a Windows 8.1 (not RT) tablet would make sense.

They're not expensive. They come with free copy of Office Home & Student 2013. The new generation of Atom processors are finally strong enough for most things while keeping a good battery life. The app store is anemic but decent enough to cover the basics. Plus the ability to connect it to a TV/external monitor for the full desktop experience can't be matched by any other tablet.

That said, if you don't need that feature or need more specialized apps or you want a lot of them, you'd be much better off with a Nexus or iPad.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

me your dad posted:

I'm looking into a Windows tablet for work. Right now it's between the Samsung ATIV 3 and the Dell Venue 11 Pro. From what I read, the Venue 11 Pro may be the better buy.

What I want:

Keyboard accessory
Decent battery life
Fast processor

Any thoughts? Are there any alternatives I should consider? My budget is about $750, which unfortunately excludes the Surface Pro 2.

To expand on what Endless Mike said, you may want to look into the Lenovo Yoga. It's a little more than you want to spend but it would probably fit your needs and you wouldn't have to accessorize it out like you would with a tablet.

Best Buy has an exclusive 11" model for $799

i5-4210Y
4 GB of RAM
128 GB SSD

Silver Grey = http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...yoga&cp=1&lp=12
Orange = http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad...yoga&cp=1&lp=13

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

1st AD posted:

A stylus is almost useless on the Nexus 7 since there's no pen digitizer.

Don't some of the new Atom-based Windows tablets have stylus support?

The Dell Venue 8 Pro ($250 for a 32 GB model) has a digitizer ($30) but reviews on the stylus haven't been too good. Maybe worth trying if you know a retailer with a generous return policy.

There's a rumor that an upcoming $300 Asus Win8 tablet is going to have Wacom but it's still probably a few months out.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 22, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm in a weird situation where I'm buying based on cases rather than specs. Looking for a 10" tablet with a case that is rough and friction for my father's birthday, a few months out, so there's no rush and I can hold out for the Nexus 10 2. He'll mostly be using it to read newspapers and such, although he might also want an attachable keyboard to use it like a computer sometimes. His manual dexterity isn't the best, worse in one hand than the other, and the case definitely has to be rough on the back (or on the screen-facing bit if there's a flap) so that he can hold it without it falling out of a weak hand late at night.

Any thoughts?

Maybe you can get him a stand like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PMKSPAD3...and+Sturdy+Base

or one with wheels like

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYTM9K8?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00DYTM9K8&adid=13QD4G0XQZN08S70F4D9

Really expensive but it may be worth it depending on where he would use it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rent posted:

You could get them something like the Dell Venue Pro 8.

-Has Micro SD card and an actual file explorer (if they're used to a computer)
-Can setup Windows to be as easy as favorite apps on the start screen/can set up remote desktop so you could always log in for them worst case scenario, instead of trying to talk to them over the phone.
-Can enable French

They already have a desktop/laptop and aren't computer savvy. A Windows 8 tablet would be the worst choice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

git clone trooper posted:

Anyway, you might as well give up on that MicroSD slot because outside of weird cut rate products, no tablets/phones ship with them these days, and I wouldn't count on them coming back.

Every Windows 8 tablet has MicroSD because Windows takes up half the hard drive space

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KungPowAction posted:

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for math research. In my dream world, I'd like to manage and read PDFs, do hand-written annotation of PDFs or write notes side-by-side (marking up a paper I'm reading), and also write and manage hand-written notes and diagrams in general.

Syncing/searching/tagging would be excellent as well, so I'm looking for a mix of stylus support and app support for those use cases. Price isn't much of an issue.

It seems like for stylus work the Galaxy Note is the only game in town, and it's also uniformly trashed in this thread. Is there a good alternative?

If you can wait, there's a Asus VivoTab Note 8 coming out in late Q1/early Q2 that comes with a Wacom stylus. Full Windows plus Office for $30 less than the Note 8.

quote:

On the surface the Asus is similar to most other 8 inch Windows tablets, with a 1200×800 resolution screen, Intel Bay Trail Z3740 CPU, 32 & 64GB eMMC storage options, 2GB of RAM, micro USB and micro SD card slots and like the Dell Venue 8 Pro has an active digitizer.

However unlike the Dell the digitizer pen comes as standard with the tablet and more importantly uses Wacom technology, which has arguably been the top requested feature for an 8 inch Windows tablet, and additionally has a silo on the tablet to house the stylus. At $299 for the 32GB version it costs the same as the Dell (and Lenovo Miix 2 8) while also including the stylus making it quite a good deal.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/01/here-wacom-asus-vivotab-note-8-official/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

soap. posted:

It's usable on either. He'd prefer a Windows tablet, but not if the iPad is going to be a better fit.

If money's no object, you may want to look into the Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q584 Tablet PC. It's around the same price as the Surface Pro 2 but it's also semi-rugged (so waterproof/dustproof) (although that also means it uses a weaker processor so it doesn't need active cooling)

Call Me Charlie posted:

Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q584 Tablet PC ($876 for the 64 GB base model)

:siren: Includes Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 but only when you select 'Windows 8.1 (MUI) 32-bit (ENERGY STAR® qualified includes Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2013 MUI (32-bit) and Windows 8.1 HDD Recovery' in customized options on the site :siren:

- Waterproof (tested for IPX5/7/8 specifications)
- Dustproof (tested for IP5X specification)
- Resistant to alcohol-based wipes
- Durable chemically strengthened glass display, MIL-STD tested

- 10.51 x 7.12 x 0.39 inches, 1.4 pounds
- 10.1” HD WQXGA Display (2560 x 1600) 400 nit brightness
- Active digitizer and capacitive touch panel
- Intel Bay Trail Atom Z3770 Quad Core 1.46 GHz Processor (up to 2.39 GHz)
- 4 GB of RAM
- Up to 11 hours battery life
- 2-megapixel front camera and 8-megapixel back camera, dual mics
- Proprietary charger (not USB :()
- Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0, MicroUSB, microSD, Fingerprint reader

Upgrades:
- Smart Card shell with VESA attachment points
- 128 GB eMMC Flash Memory
- Near Field Communication
- GPS Module
- Sierra Wireless AirPrime with GPS support (Verizon, AT&T)
- Sprint with GPS support available in 2014

Special Accessories:
Docking Cradle ($59)
Keyboard Cradle ($229)

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/stylistic-q584-tablet-pc#wf_productinfo

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 15, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Diggie posted:

I could get past all of the problems I have with my laptop if the screen was better, the battery lasted longer than an hour, and it was more powerful.

Serious question, am I wanting too much?

Are there any places with spectacular return policies? Like if I use the device for a couple weeks and its not what I need, they'll take it back?

I was going to suggest the Dell Venue 11 Pro but the T100 would probably be your best bet. The screen isn't the greatest but it comes with the keyboard dock and it should be way more powerful than your last netbook. My main machine only has a AMD e-350 in it and the new Atom is suppose to be twice as good as that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLqeLpbG2zQ

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Diggie posted:

I just spent a while looking at the Venue. I think I'm gonna save a bit more and get one of those, unless the new hotness comes out. Thanks for the help, folks.

If $500 is your limit, you can get a 64 GB Venue 11 from Microsoft's store for that price. (and I think they have a 30 day return policy)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Venue-11-Pro-Tablet/productID.289455100

It has a normal USB port so you can use a standard keyboard until you get the money for the dock.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife and I are looking at a tablet for the family. It would be primarily used for movies, general browsing, music and apps/games for my toddler daughters. We already have IPhones so we are leaning towards an apple product (but are not married to the idea) so what is the best tablet to be looking at?

Also, if you mention an IPad, I have a question. Since we already have apple IDs, if we get an IPad will we have to repurchase the apps we have bought or can we just download it to the iPad?

If it's mainly for your kids, a cheap Kindle Fire may work. Prime + Freetime Unlimited is hard to beat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kin_dp_ftu?docId=1000863021

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tenasscity posted:

Not going to happen, would rather do 30 minutes of cardio a day than nothing.

Gym buddies and pushing self can come after I'm comfortable walking long distances.

I understand you are trying to help, but this is what I need right now.

You honestly don't need a tablet to ride on an exercise bike. Get a standalone MP3 player or some wireless headphones you can hook up to your TV. It should be something passive you can take in while focusing on pedaling. If you get something like a tablet, you'll prioritize winning some game over doing the work.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Wapole Languray posted:

Okay, came here looking for some help because goddamn is it hard to shop for a tablet online, there are no good sites to look for one.

Features I want/need:

:words:

Budget is... i dunno. &500 would be the top for me, though I'm flexible if something nice enough comes along. Cheaper than a decent laptop though, if that means anything.

There's nothing in your price range in regards to what you're looking for.

To answer your questions:

- Every Windows 8.1 tablet has a microSD slot. So storage isn't that big of an issue.
- Every Windows 8.1 tablet (besides Surface Pro or $600+ models) comes with Office Home & Student 2013 which is nice.
- You don't really have to worry about bloatware. Everything is removable.
- GPS, there's only a few of them that has this. I don't have one so I can't comment on how well it works.
- Digitizer. There's two models, in your price range, that have one. The Dell Venue 8 Pro with a Synaptics digitizer that sucks a million dicks and the ASUS Vivotab Note 8 which has a Wacom...which still isn't perfect if you read user reviews.
- Keyboard. Most of these are out of your price range. There's the ASUS Transformer T100 but that's more like a detachable netbook, some new Lenovo model that I can't remember the name of and the Dell Venue 11 Pro which doesn't include the keyboard.
- Cover. None of these are included but if you get a 8 inch tablet, you should have plenty of money left over for accessories.
- Gaming is very possible but they get hot and eat battery if you try to play anything modern.

The big thing you need to ask yourself if what you're planning to use the tablet for and how much you're willing or able to accessorize it out.

At your price range, you're pretty much stuck with 8 inch models.

If you want to use it for drawing, the Asus VivoTab Note 8 is your only real choice.
If you want to use it for homework, the one you choose doesn't really matter as much. The Dell Venue 8 Pro is probably the best of it's class overall but, whatever you get, you'll need a bluetooth keyboard.

Working on a 8 inch tablet is very doable but when you get home, you'll want to connect to an external monitor or TV. With that, you're either stuck with displayport & no charging or displayport & a jerry-rigged series of cords to get it to charge or miracast (which is $60 for a receiver).

The Toshiba Encore is the only 8 inch model with a mini-HDMI port; It also has a GPS but no digitizer.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Dell Venue 8 Pro but I also had to buy a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, 64 GB microSD card and miracast receiver to get it to where I needed it to be. Turning my $200 purchase into a $375 purchase. Which still isn't bad considering the alternatives but you'll need to find something that fits your needs and also leaves you enough wiggle room to purchase the accessories you need.

And you're definitely want a little fold up stand if you get an 8 inch tablet. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Fold-Up-Travel-Samsung/dp/B006ZT4VA0

tl;dr - asus vivotab note 8

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 5, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Positronic Spleen posted:

I need a recommendation for my parents. They basically waited until the last moment to ask how to switch away from their ancient and dusty Windows XP machines, and it seems like moving them to tablets would make life easier for everyone. They don't know or like computers, but just tolerate them, and this seems like a low-maintenance solution. What they want is:

- They claim to not care about resolution, but they want a decent-sized screen.
- They currently use Android phones, if that matters.
- One of them plays a ton of Bejeweled 3. Otherwise they mostly just do email, facebook, etc.
- They would need some sort of MS Word equivalent.
- Preferably under/around the $500 mark.
- Probably need some kind of keyboard and/or dock thing.
- Can tablets support external cd/dvd/card readers? If so, they need that.

Can you set it up for them and teach them how to use it?

Because something like the ASUS Transformer T100 would probably be best if you want to hit all the things they want. The screen's 10.1", it maxes out at $400 for the 64 GB model, comes with a keyboard dock/copy of Office Home & Student 2013 and can support all your external garbage.

You'll have to set up a Microsoft account for them, set up the log in stuff, install all the updates, input their info into the mail/facebook metro apps, import all their favorites into IE10/set up an ad blocker, install Bejeweled 3 and walk them through the basic mechanics of Windows 8...which sounds like a lot but, from my experience, the most you'll get after that is basic questions of things they've forgot (how do I find something, how do I find this thing in an app, etc)

There's also an android version of the Transformer but I don't know if it can use external cd/dvd/card readers like an actual PC. (I also don't know that much about Android tablets so I don't know if there's any others that come with a keyboard dock)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 23, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are there any go-to tablets for professional use? I'm looking at reducing my dependency on paper notes and otherwise making things go more smoothly in court.

:words:

Surface Pro 2 would probably be your best bet if you need a digitizer. It has Wacom and comes with a stylus. You can also get a free touch cover if you buy it from Microsoft's store in the next week. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/pdp/en_US/Surface-Pro-2/productID.286866600?WT.mc_id=surface_RTM_surfacepro2

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-pro-to-a-tv-display-or-projector

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 24, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kernel panic posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for my dad. He just moved into a new place and can't get cable in his kitchen, which is where he's accustomed to watching stuff like the local news, Good Morning America and The Peoples' Court around mealtimes. He's gotten the idea that he can get a tablet on which he can watch these programs, but I'm skeptical - something like Hulu would do for primetime shows, but I wouldn't know how to go about getting the kinds of programs he wants.

Are there any solutions? I was thinking something like a Roku might be a better fit. He's not very tech-savvy - two years ago his Toshiba died and he bought a 15" MBP, but as soon as he figured out that all the Toshiba needed was a new hard drive he put the MBP in a corner where it's been gathering dust since he didn't want to learn a new OS. He's offered to trade me the MBP for solving this problem for him, so I'm relatively motivated to figure something out.

Antenna for local channels.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

power botton posted:

You want a laptop.

Or a windows 8.1 tablet with micro-HDMI out
(maybe the Toshiba Encore?)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The laptop form is essential for playing video...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

There's a bunch of Windows 8 tablets with active digitizers, also, but with a few exceptions, they might be pushing your budget or size requirements.

There's not many in the 8 inch range. And the Asus Vivotab 8 is the only one I've heard of with Wacom.

(here have this weird video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weqjbjq31fg

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Any thoughts on this Acer W3-810-1600 Iconia 8.1" Tablet on Woot for $150 today? Reviews seem pretty decent on Amazon.

I've always had an Android tablet but my company is developing on Windows 8 tablets now so I kinda want to get more familiar with it, seems like $150 is a decent price point.

You'd be better off paying a little bit more for a used Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

C-Euro posted:

I'm out of grad school and the laptop I bought for said stint in grad school is starting to show its age. I'm going to build a desktop for home but I'm also looking into a tablet for if I need something computer-like while traveling. I bought a ASUS Transformer TF101 a couple years ago and while I don't use it all that often, it's just the right size and shape for what I'd want in a tablet. Do the current ASUS tablets adhere to a similar form factor as the TF101? Honestly if I could get my TF101 to run a little faster (or just update past 4.0.3, which looks bleak) I'd just buy a keyboard for it and call it even. I have an Android phone too so I'm already hooked up to that ecosystem. Any suggestions? Sorry if that's a little vague and rambling, I only just started thinking about this.

You can get an ASUS Transformer T100 for pretty cheap. Same form factor, included keyboard dock and full Windows 8.1 (if you're into that sort of thing)

Newegg has a refurbished one, without Office Home & Student 2013, for $229.99 after $50 rebate card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-231-730#14037870788011&%7B%22sso%22:%22false%22%7D

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 26, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Dell Venue 8 Pro: Looks pretty neat, plus I can use my existing x86 library. On the other hand the screen res is kinda low compared to the droid ones.

Screen looks pretty good on this one (despite the low res) but it doesn't have micro-HDMI out if you were looking for that. And miracast isn't really a solution when it comes to videos.

You may want to look into the Acer Iconia W4 if you're interested in a Windows 8.1 tablet. I've been hearing good things about it, it's around the same price as the Venue 8 Pro and it has micro-HDMI out.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 7, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

-Blackadder- posted:

On further thought rather than get a new laptop and a new tablet I've switched back to my original position of looking at the Asus Transformer T100 and other detachable tablet/laptop hybrids. There's a "refresh" for the Transformer T100 that just came out that increases the processor speed.

Also looking at the HP Split x2 and Thinkpad Helix.

Anyone else have the T100 and can comment on it?

You'd be better off asking in the Windows 8.1 tablet thread. There's a few T100 owners in there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575393

I bought a Acer Aspire Switch 10 and it's great for the price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CityTransit posted:

Can anyone recommend me a tablet at a reasonable price that will run Microsoft Office and has a screen >= 10 inches? Also; are people out there using bluetooth keyboards and the like to write documents or is this kind of thing reserved for laptops and/or the surface? How difficult would it be to find one that could output to HDMI, displayPort or DVI? There are way too many products out there! :confused:

There's multiple Windows 8 tablets out there that can do that. ASUS T100 and Acer Switch 10 (a 11 inch model is on the way) can be found for under $400 and they come with Office/detachable keyboard/microHDMI.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ninja PD posted:

Moving this over from the Windows 8.1 thread as I somehow missed this beautiful one.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the capabilities of tablets but is there one that stands out in the multimedia capturing area? I'm looking for stuff like best camera(s), inputs for mics (and built in) and other add-ons. I like the versatility of tablets and want to report on events and such live on the go (blogs, light video/photo/audio editing, etc) at weddings, birthdays, sports, etc.

Unless yall can recommend a different device entirely that allows me to be an annoying amateur reporter a bit better than an iPhone. Thanks ;)

You'd probably be way better off with one of those new camcorders with decent mics built in like the Canon VIXIA mini X and pairing that with a decent laptop.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 5, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

My grandfather would like to be able to watch sports streams, is that a possibility on Kindle?

It's possible if they have a cable subscription and can log into the WatchESPN app. Anything beyond that would probably be too complicated for them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rueish posted:

I'm trying to help a friend pick out a tablet but there's just so many to choose from. IT'll mostly be for media (streaming video), browsing the internet, and facebook. Preferably sub ~$100 and Android; I see a bunch of them on Amazon for around ~$50-70 and I have no idea if they're any good or not.

I've heard good things about Amazon's new 6 inch tablet for $99. You'll be in their walled garden but if all you care about is media/internet/facebook, it would probably be good enough.

They also a payment plan available for certain members where you can do five interest free payments instead of paying up front.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I am looking for a simple tablet that I can use to take notes on for school. It would be nice if it could be hooked up to a keyboard somehow. I need something that can display PDFs and that has a nice stylus or pen system so I can take nice notes. It also should ideally be able to run Kindle and display my textbooks. I like my iPad except it doesnt draw as well. I tried a Windows surface but it doesnt have kindle for my textbooks, and it is a bit too fancy for me. Any suggestions?

edit: maybe a good combination tablet/laptop...like a laptop that is very lightweight that has a screen that I can easily write on?

There's a metro Kindle app for Windows 8.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wormil posted:

Amazon Fire HD 6 vs. HP Stream 7

Going to buy one for my daughter who will use it for Netflix, games, youtube, that's about it. Stream shows a slight edge on paper and Win8.1 is probably more flexible, but I suspect Amazon will provide better service if something goes wrong. Any goon preference one way or the other before I click buy?

Fire HD 6.

Windows on tablets is great but, if all she's looking to do is Netflix/games/youtube/internet, it would be overkill for her.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wormil posted:

Yeah I understand what you are saying but overkill isn't really a concern. She uses a Win8 laptop for school but isn't allowed to install anything on it. She's responsible, I just want her to have something so she doesn't have to borrow my wife's ipad because then my wife jumps on my computer. Mostly I'm concerned about service/support if it breaks and then performance. The more I look at the Stream, the more I'm leaning that direction.

Well, I meant that the advantages of having a Windows tablet goes away when you are just looking to do basic tablet stuff. An android tablet can do those basics way better than Windows 8 and it would probably be more convenient for her to use. (plus Amazon gives away free games all the time)

I don't know how old she is but you could always pay extra for that Fire HD for kids. I think it's $149 and it comes in a case with a 2 year no questions asked return policy. The case maybe a bit lame if she's over ten but it's an option.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Loucks posted:

Same question, but 3yo and we use Amazon Prime for streaming content. He has been stealing my wife's N10 to play games without destroying the thing so far. Basically it seems to be either the Fire 6/7 HD Kids Ed, a standard 6/7 HD, or a refurbished N7 with a ruggedized case. How awful is the FreeTime selection on the Kid's Ed? I assume you can't get everything available over Prime.

Also, anyone used the SquareTrade protection plan offered through Amazon on the 6/7 HD?

The kids tablet Amazon released has a 2 year, no questions asked, warranty and a free year of Freetime included so you'd probably be better off going that route.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LiquidRain posted:

I want a tablet, with a stylus, that I can use OneNote's Camera Scan feature for note taking and such. This is a part-time night class thing, not a full time student, and I'd like to spend as little money as possible. I was looking at the Venue Pro 8 and VivoTab 8 Note, for example, but I'm not sure what exists in the Android world that can compete. (if Android's version of OneNote is comparable)

Recommend please!

Maybe the new Toshiba Write? I haven't heard any real hands on information with it since it was just announced at CES 2015 but it has an actual Wacom stylus.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2HRYXU

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 12, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mariguana posted:

A friend is looking for a tablet.
Budget is no more than $300 USD

You could get a ASUS T100 for around that price if you know where to look but the included keyboard is going to be a little cramped.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wooger posted:

Buy a laptop for that money if you're doing any kind of work, cheap tablets are janky, won't run that software well, and you'll have to budget for a separate bluetooth keyboard and stand to carry around everywhere.

I can't fathom attempting to go to Uni with just a tablet.

There's a number of Windows 8.1 tablets that are basically detachable netbooks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Anything that isn't awful? I found an Acer one that fit the bill but reviews are terrible.

It's a bit more than you're looking to spend ($300) but the Asus Transformer T90 Chi is suppose to be coming out soon and that comes with a keyboard.

If you need it now and want something a bit bigger, I've heard good things about the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows (10"). That's $369 and comes with a bluetooth keyboard.

I just updated the Windows 8 tablet thread so it has a good list of the tablets that are available. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698422 (Recent ones. You may be able to find a used Dell Venue 8 Pro or Toshiba Encore [original] that's in your price range)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Would an Asus Transformer T100 work for code development? Is it worth the extra money to have a Windows 8 machine rather than running off of KitKat? Or would I be better off with a Chromebook of some variety? Since I tend to have one window with the site on which I'm working and another showing my code, I believe the answer is 'yes', but I wanted to be sure. Anything at all is an upgrade from my Latitude D620 craptop at this point, but I don't have the up-front capital for a full-on laptop yet.

It's worth keeping in mind that the T100 doesn't have a full sized keyboard.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

signalnoise posted:

Is there a good tablet that has some kind of active stylus interaction with OneNote that isn't godawful expensive? I don't need a Surface.

Toshiba Encore 2 Write? 8 inch is $349 and the 10 inch is $399