Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The PS2's AV out is the same as the PS3 and (I think) PS1 AV out, so if you find a PS3 S-Video cable that should work too.

I have used a ps1 composite AV out on a PS3 before. So yes, it is the same type of port on the back of the 3 systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

MEAT! posted:

VLC doesn't use vfw codecs. Also VLC is bad don't use it.

Other than "doesn't use vfw codecs" why is it bad?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Have you ever used it? The only reason to ever use VLC is if your OS literally doesn't support any other media player.

But basically: its codecs are crap, its output video quality is bad, it loves to drop frames when rendering for no apparent reason, and there are better options out there (like Media Player Classic).

It is the main player I use and I haven't seen any of those issues in 1.6 onwards. I didn't know if there was some big issue so I asked. Back 6 years ago it was the only one I could find that played .flvs. The CCP wasn't helping for some weird reason and then I just stuck with it.
I don't know, maybe I should try mpc. See if it makes a difference.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Doesn't OBS/xsplit allow you to just grab the skype audio also?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Try finding 2 sync points and then taking the (Time of video between the sync points)[in seconds] - (time of audio between the sync points)[in seconds] = difference. Then, ((difference)/(Time of video between the sync points)) * 100 = should be the % change audacity is looking for.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

BogMod posted:

I have read the workflow and tried following some of the links but a lot of it all seems to come across like latin to me. I don't need anything too complex really right now. I have my video in .avi form and I have the audio in a .wav form. The video file still has audio and I want to just replace the audio in the video file with the pure audio file. Not necessary either as I think I get it but I might want to merge two audio tracks at some point that can get done in audacity right?

Let's break this down a bit.
1)What programs do you have for editing/encoding?
a)If you don't have anything for encoding get MeGUI and Avisynth because megui needs avisynth to run.
a*) getting the CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack might not be a bad thing to do.
b)from there the guides can help.

2)It sounds like you have recorded game audio in the .AVI and commentary in a .wav is this correct?

3)If you have 2 audio tracks audacity would be a good place to aline the sync points of the game and commentary audio and then combine the tracks.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Create the text file in which folder? Sorry, I'm really bad at this hahaha.

if you use the "Name of your video.mp4" it has to be in the same folder as the video. if you use "(Drive letter):\folder\ path\ to\ video\VideoName.mp4" the text .AVS file can be anywhere.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

DrunkYardGnome posted:

Is there a way to stream to Twitch with minimal (~0-1s) lag though? When we tried it it was always about 15 seconds, which is too long for live commentary.

They got it back down to 15 seconds?!
Hitbox (IF IT WORKS FOR YOU. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE) has an about 3-8 second lag time.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

This is probably a very basic question, but here it goes.

I use Afterburner to record a moment every now and then when playing a game, but I've noticed that when I'm Skyping with a friend it records the incoming Skype audio as well. in Afterburner's settings, I see there's some options for audio source inputs, but I'm illiterate when it comes to audio/video stuff beyond a basic understanding of file types and using RipBot to encode video.

It gives me options for: DirectSound capture device, WASAPI playback device, WASAPI capture device (which I assume I don't want). Under WASAPI playback device, I have options for 1 of 4 Nvidia HDMI output ports, speakers (which I assume I don't want), and Realtek digital output. Simply put, which of these is the audio output of the game only? (It was set to Auto Select by default, so I don't know which one I was using by default.)

Also, if I wanted to record both sides of the Skype call as part of the video (it currently only records my friend and not me), how would I do that?

Looking At my install of afterburner It sounds like you would want to figure out what you are using to get sound to your ears and what your microphone is called. Looking at your skype settings might help.
My version lets me select 2 different audio sources so if you don't have that you should get the update. I have not tried the multi-source recording so I don't know how it would present you with the audio if you don't check the Mix multiple audio tracks box. However, you will have more control over the quality of the final video if you leave it unchecked.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
OK, so you want to get rid of the skype audio. Apologies, I looked at what ChaosArgate posted and then didn't read you post completely for myself.

I am also sorry to say that I don't know how to do that without Virtual Audio Cables or extra hardware. If you had VAC (~$30) you could set the game to one line and record from that line and then repeat that line to your normal speakers. The other option would be basically have your main sound going to speakers Record this and a second/external soundcard, for skype, going to headphones/earbuds (usb headphoses might work I haven't tested that.)

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

vv: Aw, that's disappointing. Is that only in the case of Afterburner, or in general? In other words, would another program be able to pull the game audio directly from the source or something, instead of from the playback device?

Most of the stuff I know about works like that. You Might be able to use OBS or X-split. They have an option to include the skype call so that would imply that they also have the option to exclude it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Crosspost from my Dead Space 3 thread, the audio in Dead Space 3 is a goddamn mess and I'd like advice if anyone has any to give:

Normally in games like this there are options in the menu for music, sound effects, and voice. If it only has one volume slider then yes it is a bad game.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Is there a use case for streaming which is possible only with XSplit?

Still being in a DirectX 9.0c environment either by having a videocard that doesn't support DX10 or still being in XP.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

nendymion posted:

You could always just use something like hitbox. Your guests would most likely only be behind by a few seconds which is most likely what they would get with Skype. Just don't use twitch because that has horrible lag for what you are looking for.

The added benefit is that they also get sound if they want it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Use Voiceemeter instead of VAC now.

Where is a legit place to download it?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's freeware.

I was asking because the last time I tried to find Audacity the proper site was number 6 on the list and the cnet version was still 1.26. And I was seeing similar things again.

Thank you sir.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Oh, don't worry about that. I haven't used CNET in over 9 years. It just keeps popping up in the searches.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Mico posted:

Third party software?

Like Norton disk defrag. I haven't had a working copy of that since I stopped running a 386.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Tae posted:

Is there a program or function on MS paint or something similar to have a perfect square box ready? I'm currently manually making perfect square with mspaint for portraits, but it gets really annoying because I have to ballpark what the actual center is.

In paint.net you can hold shift to confine the selecting area to a square. And then there is another tool (move selection) that lets you move just the selection area without changing the size of it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You might be able to use vlc to stream it.
I haven't sat down to figure out the particulars of how yet.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ugh. is there some program thats simple and easy to use? I'm willing to pay money not to deal with this bullshit.

Every program has it's issues. The trick is finding the program that has issues that that you already know how to work around.

What editing programs (audio, picture, video) are you familiar with?

What are you trying to do with the program? Is it simple cuts? Adding in custom animations?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

toddy. posted:

I found the snowball to be quite bad comparatively but I have an older model of Snowball.

Has anyone tried that Razer Seiren mic yet? I haven't bought it because the Yeti is still working fine and I refuse to buy something labelled as "By Gamers For Gamers". I know the Mega64 podcast has started using them but I was wondering if anyone with a less chaotic setup has given that thing a try yet.

Here is a review with downloadable audio samples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0OdRWMJYg

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You could also re-encode a video that is already out there while you are playing a game to see how it goes.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Sundowner posted:

Eh, seems like it's six and half a dozen. One way requires me to specify any bullshit to cut out of a given post and the other requires recreating the post. I was just going to tweak my main posts by removing superfluous text/comments, not make any huge changes. Then again, recreating the posts might make it easier for archiving purposes.

If you can still see the updates just copy/paste them into the sslp test poster and make your edits there and then give him a list of those.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hey, so I"m trying to get back into recording again. I have my capture set up, but my quality is kind of low on my TV. Like, the screen is very dark and muddy, it's set at 480i resolution and I can't seem to change that at all. I'm recording off a PS3, so I am outputting with the component cables, and I think I'm plugged in right, only one dongle creates video, even if the video is quite dark. Is there a step I have overlooked that can improve the quality of what I'm capturing?

If you have component cables (or even just the standard composite w/audio) laying around This $3.11 splitter and this $0.69 cable extender might be all you need.
The idea is that you would have the splitter before the capture so that the fresh signal could be sent to the T.V. You might need to split the audio also.
Someone else might have a better idea.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am doing the HDMI pass through, so I'm using my Wii U's HDMI cable on HDMI out, which connects to the TV. I connected the PS3 to the HDMI in slot on the Happauge. This seems to get it read by the Capture software, but the display settings are garbage and nothing I do seems to be able to adjust them without crashing one or both of them.

The reason why the HDMI isn't working is that the signal from the PS3 is encrypted. They did that so that it would be harder to copy/pirate Blu-rays. The reason why your capture card can't do understand it is that it doesn't have the $100-150 decrypter chip.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Yes, that will get you component out and Video about 480i.

Side-note: I got the PS2 version back when and they work fine with the PS3. So, you should be able to record PS2 games if you still have the system.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Kenlon posted:

What's the best way to sync post-commentary with the footage you're talking over? Is there any way to trigger Audacity to record and at the exact same moment start up my video footage? I would prefer to automate as much of the syncing as possible, for obvious reasons.

If everyone is recording at the same sample rate (44.1K or 48.0K) Getting everyone to say Sync at the same time before starting the video and then saying Play right when they hit play gives you a good spot to sync with. The reason for the 2 syncs (sync and play) is so that you have a better chance to get everything lined up and then you just have to chop off the section before the play.

Or you can see if you can rebind the play/record in either of the programs. Or Get a program that runs a macro that can change focus between programs. And if the macro command can run the command at full speed I.E. faster than you. You can just select the Video program then select Audacity and Run the macro "R, Alt+tab, (whatever the key for play is)" and then just start talking.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

abigserve posted:

Hey dudes, not sure if this is the place to ask, but what do you guys do for real-time streaming to friends? For instance, I'm playing some spooky games with a mate on skype and we're using it's screen-sharing service so he can watch, is there an easier way?

If it is on steam you can also use that. The delay is is 5-10 seconds.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

EDIT: And in the interest of idiot-proofing, is there some kind of adapter I can get if I only have 16x slots?

One of the amazing things about PCI-E is that any PCI-E card size can work in any PCI-E slot size (Although the smaller slots have to be slightly modified to accept the larger cards). The hardware rating just lists the minimum size for full operation. And the 16x slot is the same size as the 8x slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Just a heads up that you might want to remove quicktime from your system since apple is no longer supporting it and there are 2 big known vulnerabilities with quicktime.
If you use the adobe video suite there is a good chance you have quicktime on your system because adobe includes it so that it can encode into prores.