Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I really wish I didn't have to do the tutorial bullshit every time I start a new character. I don't mean the quests, I mean grinding for cobblestone and wood to get the basic tools and enough plant matter for armor and bandages. Takes a good 30 minutes at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have a seed for a planet with a pirate ship near spawn?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VDay posted:

There is no "tutorial sector", you simply start on a threat level 1 planet. The second you see a tree you have spaceship fuel, and coal ore is all over the place. As soon as you actually get your bearings and figure out how the game works it doesn't take any time at all to start blasting around the galaxy.

It does, however, take time before you can get gear good enough to go to a higher threat level planet.

Anyone have the coordinates for a planet with a pirate ship?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Verviticus posted:

Has anyone tried a server on a home PC? How well has it worked?

I found I could run a full terraria server pretty easily and I'm wondering if the load is about the same.

I ran one for myself and another goon and it was okay. If we went in opposite directions/used the dash tech then the world wasn't able to generate fast enough so we had to stop every once in a while. Not sure if that's an inherent problem or because I was doing it on my meh laptop.

In other news I finally got around to decorating and organizing my ship. The piked skulls really help to give it that 'homey' feel.

I gotta say I started to have a lot more fun once I started using CE to duplicate upgrade materials and poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

tehsid posted:

This.

Shields are amazing. Get one AS SOON as you can. They will keep you alive and let you tackle many things that would have otherwise killed you before. Its really, really amazing how much help they are.

I found there are a few really good 1h weapons to craft early on, but after that all I see dropping are 2h weapons. So I hope that gets tweaked a bit.

This game is consuming me.

Pretty sure the shield needs to be high level enough or w/e, tried using a shield on a threat 27 planet, it did literally nothing when I blocked.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Operant posted:

Dumb question guys: how do you get multiplayer going in this game?

Run the Starbound launcher and click the start server button, then start the game, click multiplayer, and input your IP address (and give it to the people you want to play with, obviously).

e: Anyone have coordinates for a level 30 planet with pirates? (or anything that sells guns, if anything else does)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

demoneyespaul posted:

So, when I start my server it starts up (sorry for the length):

Gives me some warnings and info:

Then shuts down I guess?

Doesn't seem right. Anyway to fix this or what?

Did you actually start the game (as in, clicking Launch Starbound) after launching the server? Cause it should work fine. As long as the command prompt is up your server is up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The problem I have with the current system isn't figuring out how much damage I'll do, but my problem is the way you're always getting one-hit-killed in higher TL planets of your current tier even when you have the best armor, and also that armor and weapons are only useful against monsters in a ~3 level range. Both of these issues were really problematic. I'm worried that this change might be a bit too heavy handed. I hope they mark planets as easy/medium/hard like they do monsters instead of every planet being a grab-bag of different difficulty monsters. Or maybe it would be better that way with every planet having varied threats.

If I understand the update correctly, it sounds like it's balancing it as well. It even says that armor was the primary cause of a lot of balance issues. At the least, if they simplify it to just raw damage, it should be considerably easier for them to balance.

It's a change I'm glad for.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, I realize this. I guess what I'm saying is that I liked the idea of having a progression within a tier. That there are dangerous worlds you have to stay away from until you get better gear. That's a good concept and I hope with the new system they're still able to keep that. It's just really extreme in the current version. I just got one hit killed on a threat level 18 planet while holding up a shield, with 15 armor. That's crazy. (I suspect the shield was bugged and not blocking, though, but still, that's really huge damage for such a small level gap)

I think shields increase the damage you take in some cases. i.e. when I got hit by an enemy directly I took ~40, when I tried to block the hit the same attack from the same enemy oneshot me. :v:

How exactly are you reading the update? How I read it doesn't make it sound like they're removing the progression, just changing the way it works. The way it currently works is that there are ten sectors (I think) and planets with level ranging from 0-10, 11-20, etc. With the new system, instead it will be one threat level per sector but some planets would solely be populated by hard enemies.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 7, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It was the part with planets having only 10 threat levels. I assume that means all planets in alpha sector will be threat level 1. I just hope that doesn't mean every planet in the alpha sector will be the same difficulty.

I edited my post, but I figure that it will be that some planets will have all hard enemies for that sector. At the least, if that's not how it works immediately they'll probably patch it in later since I imagine that would be a common complaint.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nerdz posted:

I'll have to see how they plan on doing this rebalancing, by removing levels and such. I'm all for more dynamic health values and also absolute dps, but I'm afraid taking the granularity we have today would end up making the game and tiers way too uniform with only three levels of monsters per tier, instead of 13 as we have now. Also I still want to be one shot if I'm trying to take on ridiculous stuff way out of my league, like how I just ventured a max threat beta sector planet, dying several times to find a weapon that would carry my over the entire tier.

I don't really see how it'll change much. There's very little worthwhile variation between monsters other than how they look.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah they really need to tone down the techs. I immediately got the flower backpack that converts Sun into energy and the dash tech. I basically chain dash across a whole planet without my feet touching the ground and super quickly farm out buildings and tech huts. With some red stim packs, I can dash through the lava at the core of a map and simply hop out when I see goodies. This got me silly amounts of gold.

I heavily disagree. The Dash is great as is, as it makes traveling across a world not take forever.

Reason posted:

Hope they get the character wipe done ASAP. I lose all will to play when I know everything I build is going to be gone in a few days.

Maybe you should wait for the second stage of beta then? Just sayin'.

If it's just a character wipe, you can find an Alpha planet, put all your poo poo from one planet there, then come with the new character and it should be there. But from the update, it sounds like it'll be a complete wipe so I doubt that would work in this case.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 7, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

I feel like one of the few problems with terraria was the massive difference in power and mobility that came with just a few items. I think a smoother transition is better for the long term.

It's super easy to burn out with exploring when you are literally flying across the map at insane speeds. Especially if that happens in your first hour of playing. It's the difference between finding treasure and harvesting it en masse.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Taking forever to travel across a world for a chance at some treasure gets really boring really fast, for me. Being able to quickly move across a world and find big things like towns and dungeons is much nicer.

Random aside, I hope holdable torches are added at some point. A flashlight doesn't work too well for lighting up ana rea, and having to place a campfire or torch every few steps in a dark dungeon is annoying.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reiley posted:

I don't really like the dash tech, I keep vaulting off the edge of some sudden huge cliff and cratering to death.

Dashing makes your velocity reset, so dash just before hitting the ground and you'll take no damage.

Rather Dashing posted:

So, er, does anyone know how to use the Pulse Jump?

Make sure you've equipped the tech and have it selected as your current tech, then just tap the jump button while in the air.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There are ladders in the game? Where do I find them.

Rookersh posted:

Wait, according to the Reddit, this'll eventually have a main storyline, and your ship will upgrade over the course of it?

I'm already seeing a few screenshots of ships with an upper level, how far do you have to go to get that? My buddy and I are planning on using my ship as our home base, and he wants to decorate the second floor as his, with the bottom floor being mine, Firefly style.

No ship upgrading at the moment. That was done through a mod. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/extended-ship-mod.39427/

Office Thug posted:

Is there any way to repair a mining pick? Also, what armor should I shoot for after the winter armor can no longer keep me from dying in 2-3 hits?

The game is miles away from properly balanced but otherwise I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

IIRC you select an ore then right click on the tool.

Armor goes Copper -> Silver -> Gold -> some unique racial armor. There's also a secondary path that starts with Platinum you can do as well.

Lugaloco posted:

Are there no quests after defeating the first boss?

Use the molten core to make a forge, it will let you make the next item to summon a boss. Rinse and repeat. No actual quests for them yet, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Also set terrain blocks to make an advantageous arena for you to fight in. It's less helpful against the UFO since it breaks terrain now, but it's quite useful for the later bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reason posted:

I don't mind losing all my items and poo poo, but I was slowly working to turn my starting planet completely into a death star covered in metal, but if I lose my progress on that I just don't want to continue.

Since character/game wipes are likely to be pretty common, you shouldn't be making anything you're not prepared to lose until stage 2 of the beta.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

People are already whining about the upcoming balance change to the world levels and how weapon damage is - even though both are clearly broken in the current form.

People ("gamers" especially) will whine about literally everything.

New Leaf posted:

I know people like it so far and it seems to be playable, but is it a must-have at this point or should I give it some time? For reference, I love Minecraft and played Terraria for about 5 minutes at a friend's house and it didn't grip me because I had no idea what to do.

I'd say get the game now. If you like Minecraft I don't see why you wouldn't like this since Minecraft has even less direction/unique stuff to do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I'd be cool with that being an early upgrade that you get, or maybe just something that automatically beams construction materials back to a storage space on your ship. I'm the kind of weirdo that actually likes gridded inventories and inventory management, but managing construction materials sucks. Not only do they take up space and get in the way, but they necessitate having a larger inventory which in turn is a lot more of a pain in the rear end to manage. I don't expect this to happen, but I'd love to just have a magical store of automatically sorted construction materials that I can access from anywhere and that requires no manual management on my part. gently caress, I'd even be perfect fine with having to grind out materials to build upgrades for it and expand its storage.

I just throw the more common materials in the trash. I never run out of inventory room.

Bottom Liner posted:

This game doesn't autosave does it? If not, I just lost two hours of progress on a brand new character. gently caress.

It does.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

joats posted:

Maybe, after trying to copy and paste a server address I didn't attempt doing it for coords.

Copy pasting also works for server ips. It works for everything you input text for, as far as I am aware.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Speaking of wikis, you know my favorite thing about this game? I haven't had to consult a wiki once figure out how to progress. The game actually instructs you really well.

I consider this a huge plus. Expecting players to use a wiki as a matter of course is and always has been lazy design.

I disagree. It's not at all obvious you can use wood/coal for your FTL drive, and that you need to get stuff from a level 10 planet before using the Distress Beacon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I did that some and ended up with a 19 pen, 0.64 speed, 64 dmg 2handed sword and a 21 pen, 2.68 speed, 11dmg poison 2 handed axe. The axe does more damage to high threat level enemies than the sword does. :psyduck:

Both are still kind of lovely against threat 18-20 world enemies though. The steel hunting bow sucks for hunting anything on an 11+ as well it seems.

In the current system, Armor Penetration is literally the most important stat since the higher it is compared to the enemy's level the higher boost its damage receives, and vice versa.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Goonicus posted:

Can you do anything with your ship in this game? Upgrades, get new ones, etc? That would be neat.

Not at the moment. The current beta is the first three tiers which make up the "caveman" tier. There's fragments of higher level content crammed into the fourth sector, but it's just some racial equipment and a couple of different biomes. More sci-fi stuff will be in the later tiers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pakled posted:

I don't think it's actually possible to use dye yet.

It's only use at the moment is to craft a Decoy Princess.

Party Alarm posted:

I made a thing in space.

That is awesome as gently caress.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lallander posted:

Where did they say the patch was hitting tomorrow?

Twitter. It was linked here a bit ago.

Jastiger posted:

Bah thanks a lot guys:) Also, I hope they fix the armor thing. I have all the winter infantry stuff and they all have 13 armor, yet my total armor remains at 13. Strange.

Your defense is a weighted average of your three armor pieces, so having three pieces with the same value will give you that value for defense.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

endolithic posted:

Cool! I can't wait for other racial villages to be added so we can see more interaction. The only others I have seen that weren't immediately hostile (like a human prison or avian temple) were the avian pirates and a glitch town. The glitch were mostly condescending to my hylotl, but the pirates were pretty chill as long as I didn't draw a weapon.

Prisons, temples, labs, etc. are more like dungeons. Actual villages are always non-hostile, and only Hyotl (and humans I think?) don't have villages yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

Picked this up today, played for a couple hours, loved it, then read that all the characters are getting wiped tomorrow :argh:

Have character wipes happened regularly so far, or is the one tomorrow a sort of exception?

As long as we're in the first page of the beta, you shouldn't be too attached to stuff because a patch could necessitate a wipe at any time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Deakul posted:

I really hope that they add more planetary variety.
Despite every planet VISUALLY looking different, they all feel the same.

Where's the low gravity planets? Planets with toxic atmospheres that you need special gear for? Lifeless planets? etc.

There's an option in one of the config files to turn on variable gravity (no I don't know where). It's turned off because it's not properly enough implemented yet, IIRC.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnqs_N6kn0

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

bonermobile posted:

My friends and I spent most of the afternoon on 20-30 planets and didn't see a single block of platinum, I'm convinced it doesn't exist naturally right now. We eventually found some in a chest (on a level loving 12 planet of all places) and duped that to make new armor because gently caress it characters are getting wiped.

Platinum is only available as ore in Sector X. Yeah ore placement is kinda hosed. I believe that's being addressed in the upcoming patch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Miijhal posted:

Really hope I get the energy dash upgrade fairly quickly next patch, because it's the one time I ever found a tech and god drat I could not live without it.

Edit:
Also a traveling spacebar.

There are even better techs, such as one that lets you reverse gravity and makes it easy to get to asteroids.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

Since I don't know jack about coding, just know people keep saying how easily moddable this game is. How easy would it be to add an "Extra random" checkbox to multiplayer to skew the world gen?

A randomized treasure chest in a known spot is still a treasure chest.

Easy. Don't go to that world. There are around 40 quadrillion different coordinate combinations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

First piece of advice, is don't get too invested before the incoming patch since you are going to be restarting after the character wipe.

Second, assuming you don't want to just look up locations where all the easy to snatch loot is, I would recommend upgrading your bow before your weapon. The bow does good damage, and yields meat which will pile up in no time. Farming is slow and requires a lot of set up. The first bow upgrade will one shot almost anything on your first low threat level worlds. Also don't be a dumbass like me and spend the first hour using the matter manipulator for mining. The game still has picks that you can make and even the shittiest one is much faster than the MM.

You should be crafting a weapon at all really; the craftable weapons are currently garbage compared to what you find as loot. The bows are also pretty awful compared to the weapons you find as loot. Though the rebalance patch may change that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Dunno, when I first hit the beta sector my weapons with max armor piercing of 12 were pretty crappy compared to the ones I could craft that all head 15. They certainly get useless fast as soon as you farmed a bit (or just looked up the cordinates for a weapon merchant) but at least the tier 2 stuff is good starter gear for the beta sector.

Well yeah. What I mean is it's trivial to just go to a planet with the max threat level in that sector and find a weapon with that level as loot in a chest or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

This totally depends on luck.

I have found exactly one weapon that was better than my base upgrade melee weapons (a bone maul that fired a spread shot of bones which was admittedly pretty bad-rear end) The iron bow is cheap, and counts as hunting for purposes of getting leather and food. If you are skimming the list, and going to worlds that you know have good loot, then what you say is definitely true, but if you are relying on only what you find yourself, there is no guarantee you will find anything worth a drat, I know I sure as hell haven't in two fresh starts.

When you say "better" what stats are you comparing? Cause the only important one is Armor Penetration. A weapon with 11 Armor Penetration will be better than a weapon with 10 in 99% of cases. And weapons you find in chests, from enemies, or from shops will always be at around the threat level of the planet, if not higher.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

How do you harvest the molten core?

Does dying do anything other than the obvious sending you back to the mothership?

Are there stats to level up or just better gear?

Is the best way to get gear(drops) to just run around near the core of the planet or is there another way that's better?

If by molten core you mean the item to make the forge, then you need to make a Distress Beacon and kill the boss it summons.

Gear is your stats.

Best way to get gear is to run around on planets of the highest threat level for your sector and loot chests/villages or buy from merchants if you have enough pixels.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Avynte posted:

Do planetary mini-bosses ever respawn?

I'm curious for Pokemon purposes.

You can only capture baby monsters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can always try putting all your poo poo on an Alpha planet, then making a backup of that world's file, and putting it back in the directory after the universe is wiped. The changes should still apply, though if the seeds change it could result in glitchiness.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

maketakunai posted:

titaniumbow.gun

Huh, I don't remember there being a titanium Bow being craftable. Is it in properly or did I just miss it?

• Locked thread