Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tengames posted:

The whole "caveman" thing kinda falls flat when you start with a space ship, 3d printer, and a high tech matter manipulator, and you have to use said manipulator to cut down your first tree, and mine the stone for your first pickaxe. if it can do all that, why cant I just freaking use that instead of having to bang rocks together for progress?

Holy gently caress. You can! But since it's not a tool MADE for that, it's not the most efficient way.

Jesus Christ some of these complaints are bordering on the dense at this point.

This is tantamount to crash landing on
a planet with pistol and wondering why you'd still need to craft a sledgehammer instead of shooting tiny bullets at a brick wall to bust through.

But no one is stopping you from using the slow rear end matter manipulator to Dig and Chop if you so desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Found a little installation with 2 roller tank tread droid bots with guns and bubble shields. They dropped a gun. I "scorched earth" them with an arrow.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For those of you who are still noobish, but wish to go to cool places:

It's a desert planet, decent wood and coal. Iron on the surface in abundance, and if you head to the left there's a Glitch Merchant and then a cool Glitchy Futuristic Pyramid thingy. Seems big.

{fake edit] While I'm poastin'... how the hell do I switch my nav map to Beta Sector? Do I have to accomplish anything first?

Attention Horse posted:

Our space band just had a first rehearsal of our newest hit single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwjxxXFS1yg

So I guess this game is alright.

I love you forever.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

smashthedean posted:

It seems like there are no 1-handed weapon drops in the current version of the game, which is a huge bummer as I really like my shield. I'm hoping they change this soon.

False. I have a 1 handed pistol that does like 20 damage with a good rate of fire. Also found some 1 handed melee.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone got coords to an instrument in Alpha Sector?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Found a lot of goodies (including two techs!) at x1989 y 2008 Alpha AI Dibain 6052 Id

Anyone have some hints on where to find silver?

What are the exact Seed Coordinates for this?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got this from the google doc:

X:-83274924 Y:25121666

How come when I plug it in in the zoomed out Star map, it just beeps at me when I choose "go". And it doesn't center on anything on it's own?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do you have the correct sector selected?

Alpha, the only sector I have access to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Machai posted:

You don't just type them in and click go, the coordinates only center the map on the target solar system. You then have to click on it like normal and then choose the planet/moon you want. That is why most coordinates also include the planet name.

ex: x58693900y93077490 Alpha Centauri 745d

Type the coords in, click the Alpha Centauri 745 system and choose planet d. Hit go.

Yes but is the system supposed to be named the same as the planets, more or less? It didn't seem to be. I'll try again in a sec...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got a tech blueprint, how come I can't do anything with it whatsoever at my tech/printer thing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sheyittt yeaaaa!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jackard posted:

900 posts in just a day or two... any news on the upcoming patch/wipe tomorrow?

There's a patch/wipe tomorrow. That is the news.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bleusilences posted:

No but we are in phase one, character wipe WILL happen, in phase 2 they guarantee that they will be no such thing.

Regardless of what they said, it would be foolhardy to ever assume that no character wipe was possible in any stage of a beta.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What timezone is the dev team in? I want this patch to update!!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

B'aww I was hoping for lunchtime West coast time-ish, so I could play today. :)

Oh well, soon enough I suppose.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Segmentation Fault posted:

:haw:

Well, 8 PM GMT (UK time) is noon PST, so chin up.

I more meant the possibility it was "tomorrow".

But I'll keep positive..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

An Unoriginal Name posted:

The developer that is currently streaming mentioned in his little text FAQ that the update isn't out yet because the other devs are going through the whole game to make sure they didn't break anything or make progression impossible, etc.

Jesus how do you even "go through the whole game" in any kind of quick manner?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Enzer posted:

The changelog that popped up earlier more or less confirmed that already. The groundwork is there but it is still in development (as can be seen in the stream :v:).

Which is fine with me. Changing too much at once usually has negative ramifications in a testing environment. This already seems to be a very ambitious patch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there an action I can do to make Steam refresh or is quitting and restarting the only way to force a check?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Helter Skelter posted:

Refresh this thread instead and wait for confirmation that it's actually live.

I thought someone said it was already downloading. In this thread. Otherwise, I *was* waiting...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So:

I have a full set of Copper armor.

I have a good 1 handed weapon ( DPS is like 85...)
I have a shield. (Nothing special, but it's ok)

should I attempt the UFO? Is it easier now?

Also: How/when can I pixel-bank? I have like 1200.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fishstick posted:

My new starter planet has plenty of ore, an apex science dungeon three steps to the left of the spawn.

And armored trees :negative:

So get coal, and get outta there?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rhoga posted:

If you're looking to create the pixel bank, check your 3D printer. It's in there.

How/where? Mine is 100% empty!

How many pixels do you need for the 1000 block?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ive got no real complaints about how planets and creatures are handled, but I hope one day, when they have a handle on the game, they maybe expand out a bit...

Creatures that hide, or look like plants till you get close. Or greater diversity in size and movement of creatures.

Trees on a certain type of planet that somehow fight back as you try to cut them down...

poo poo like that...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm on a mac, where do I drop an .abc file?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It is possibly my own dumb-osity, but I seriously CAN NOT find even my STEAM APPS folder on my mac, let alone StarBound, or where I put Music .abc files.

Spotlight doesn't bring up anything...

Google says Library/Application Support/ but there is nothing related to Steam. Is it hidden or something?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The White Dragon posted:

No hidden folders on Mac, but be aware that there are like multiple versions of the Library folder. There's your System library that you can access from the Mac HD, and then there's a specific User library that you can access from your HD/Users/[username]/ folder. I think steamapps appears in the User one, but check both just in case.

It's in neither, actually.

Gonna try what Gibbed said. :)

[ed] Gibbed, that worked!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do seeds also dictate ore specific locations?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys, sorry, lemme ask that one more time.

I'm about to go to that planet in Alpha that that dude said had Diamonds in a certain location. Do we know if Seed Coords dictate exact Ore locations? (i.e.: the same)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apologies but I've been MIA for thousands of posts... Do we know when the next big patch and/or wipe is expected? (Exactly or roughly?)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think I'd mind the wipes as much if the early game wasn't such a slog. Using the MM to get basic resources, finding a decent amount of ores, grinding pixels, finding enough coal to get to a new planet...it takes a lot longer than I feel it should.

I'd argue it doesn't take as long as it feels to someone doing it multiple times. Remember, you're playing a beta. I know that can be an annoying-to-hear reminder as well as sometimes a little condescending. Fact is though, your average player just does this early game once. You don't want the game to hand you everything on a spoon and be short and challenge-less. That tends to be worse than a little early "slog".

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Been out of the loop for a bit, do we know yet roughly when the next (last?) character wipe is set to hit?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know the game can load long, but I'm booting up for the first time after quitting/restarting steam and it gets past the Chucklefish Chuckle and then the loading screen and it sits there for like 5 min. I had to force quit (Mac).

Any ideas?

Is there a way in Steam I can confirm it updated?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah, I just let Starbound run on it's Loading screen for like 5 min and it quits "unexpectedly" on its own. I am not sure where in Steam I can check to see if I'm on the current version?

[edit]

Ah, on their page:

We’re aware there may be issues with a Steam update crashing the Mac build at the moment! It’s an issue with Steam– disable the Steam overlay to fix it in the meantime.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Small bug, save and quit, came back and I had a different stance (personality). The girly hands out pigeon-toed one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
El Dumb Questionarino:

Some bug made my stance lame. (the "personality"). I will admit this is a dumb thing to bother over, but does anyone know where I might go to toggle it to something else?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ewe2 posted:

starcheat can modify stances.

Thanks for the tip. So far I haven't been installing any mods (and don't really want cheats. Was hoping just to find out what file had the line where stances were determined and be able to change it. I'll keep your advice in mind, though. :)

[edit] Beta feedback in its current stage: So far my only possible tiny complaint is that I feel like you get access to Beta sector easily but are likely still soft and fleshy and possibly under-armed. Regular enemies in Beta sector (aggressive animals) are quite challenging.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the Starbound goon server down or is there a problem on my end...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I download ABC song files it downloads them as <name>.abc.txt

I remove the .txt but I notice it looks different than the other songs. They are document filetypes, but the one I downloaded is considered plaintext. How do I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are you on a Mac? Hit Command-I and expand the Name & Extension part. You have to remove the .txt there.

If Windows it's probably doing something similar.

That got it to the right filetype. However I noticed when I go to play the harmonica (the only instrument I have) there are a ton of stock songs in there, but not the 5 or 6 I have in the SONGS folder where they should be. Do I need to do anything else?

• Locked thread