Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Acquire Currency! posted:

realtalk teles are really versatile and good sounding guitars, great to learn to play electric with and good enough to keep

I kept mine maybe two weeks. It's a solid guitar and I get their appeal, but they have this kind of toy piano-ness to their sound that you just can't quite get rid of. It works okay for certain songs/genres, but it keeps the guitar from being universal enough for everyday use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

bunky posted:

I clicked on all of your links and to be honest, I loved every minute of my exposure to your skills.
*i'm lying and didn't click on anything and you are a dweeb*

I'm gonna kinda almost take up for Dr. Faustus, for a second or two. I gave a fair listen to all of his links, and he really does have some respectable skills. He's a good lesson for aspiring guitarists, and that lesson is:

There are two types of guitar players. One type is like my old friend Mike. Mike was competent but not great at the instrument. But he was dedicated, reliable, and fun to be around. For over a decade I never performed live or recorded a track without Mike being there, and Mike never missed a mortgage or house payment and he filled that house with all the toys a boy could want. Mike was a team player.

The other type of guitar player is the Scarlett O'Hara drama queen that minces around the tour bus pissing and moaning and generally making everybody miserable. Sure they have technical skills, but after three days on the bus you realize you don't care. So you hand them an envelope with bus fair and ditch them at the next truck stop. Years later you see him working at Lowes stocking lumber and bragging about his mad shredding skillz to his twenty year old shift manager. You decide not to say "Hi" because you don't remember his name. It's probably "Dick".

So you kids remember that if you want to make a living making music, the person you are is just as important as musician you are. And most importantly, don't be a Dr. Faustus.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

SearchForDelicious posted:

i care doc. check your pms tia

Don't touch the poop.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll put it in terms you understand.

You and your bitter buddies leave me out of your stupid GBS threads, just don't mention me or reference me with pics or quotations.

I'll go lurk my usual places and I won't be back.

Let's make a deal. I don't want to see you any more than you want to see me.

Then again, I like the way it squishes between my toes.

The FBI profiler called. They want those missing children back.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

50 watt stereo tube combos with a stereo rack and MIDI control rig:

All alone in a room. No band. No Friends. If a song gets recorded in a forest and no one is there to hear, who cares?

Sad.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

I work 2nd shift but even for me this is late.

See? What did I say before? If you'd just work half as hard on your people skills as you have on your musical skills, you'd have sex and drugs on tap and free money for life. Just take a deep breath and let life wash over you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

This stops working after 40. FYI.

No. I just have to drink more.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Jedrick posted:

check out these bad boys

lol i wonder what sperg lord these belong to

edit: why even have multiples of the same guitar? poo poo's guitarded.

Don't be so judgmental. It's the same reason people with autism love trains. They crave familiarity and predictability, and they are upset by change. Trains always follow the tracks, and they find that soothing. If one guitar sounded too different from the other the owner of that collection would fly into a destructive retard strength rage, like you can see in this photo of a startled Steve Vai.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

every comment aimed in your direction is a direct challenge

All I have to do is remain earnest and honest and it's infuriating people.

No one in this thread is challenging you. No one is infuriated. Everyone is just encouraging you to keep embarrassing yourself in your weird and desperate attempt to prove...well, who knows what exactly. It was funny for a couple of days, but it's getting a little depressing now.

No one is actually outraged by your collection or how you spend your money. The world isn't out to get you, because you're not that important. And the reason you feel like you're winning is because you're the only one playing whatever game you imagine is being played. Seriously, just relax and have a beer and don't get so wound up over such irrelevant poo poo. You may get weirdly uptight about stuff, but I have a hunch you're probably an okay guy when you aren't tripping over trigger warnings. Give yourself a break for Christs sake.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

You're reading a different thread than I am, friend.

Yeah. I guess I am.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just look at the post above yours.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Fair Hallion posted:

hey thread what's your stance on Airline guitars. Fugly? y/n

If you're twelve years old, and your band is playing the junior high talent show, and it's 1987, those are awesome.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
*Yeah, I didn't mean that negatively. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen on a date with first or third one.

And maybe the second, if I was a little drunk.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dewgy posted:

get an ashbory

I've only ever played an original from 85/86 and not a re-issue. If you don't mind tuning it every thirty seconds due to surgical tubing strings, it sounds so loving absurdly great. The tuning thing makes it a pain to use in a live show, but the crowds find the deep booming coming from a space Ukelele to be funny.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

You're awesome. Post your tracks.

Goddamn I'm tempted to, but that's how I get paid. Giving it away free doesn't do anything but hurt me. How would you like it if I asked you to come to my house and pull an unpaid night shift stocking my shelves with Walmart products?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have no idea, "Frankenstyle,"

Cowards.

Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I meant it as a joke. If I'd known you really are a Walmart stock boy, I never would have said that.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

KiddieGrinder posted:

stop loving picking on stock boys god drat...

we have to loving work hard ok?!? gently caress MAN

Goddammit I'm not. I respect and admire them. How do you feel about the variances in technique between stocking metal shelves versus the more classic wooden style?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

KiddieGrinder posted:

there are several things to consider when deciding whether you should use wood or metal to construct your shelves, and the first is where they are going to go and what they are going to hold. wood can hold a great deal of weight as opposed to it's material weight, but stainless steel can hold even more. stainless steel is also immune to many problems that plagues wood such as rotting and mildewing. These last two problems can be stopped in wood with the use of preventative chemicals that are applied to the product. one thing is certain though, since wood is organic, it will lose strength and integrity as time progresses.

also if faustus wants to chime in with his thoughts please do :)

It's refreshing to finally have someone in the thread who takes his craft seriously. Recently I installed a couple of "floating" shelves in my home. They're a low grade wood, but they're well covered in a heavy laminate which gives them a clean look, and provides adequate friction to prevent objects from sliding off.

The problem is that they aren't sturdy enough to hold all the fat stacks of cash that still roll in from my old record company from time to time. I need something deeper and with more support than a drywall anchor kit can provide. Also maybe some cargo netting mounted beneath to catch the inevitable spillage would be good. Any ideas?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

KiddieGrinder posted:

Sorry are you asking me or Dr. Faustus?

Well it's a technical question that involves success in music and requires the cogent opinion of an informed expert.

So, you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ashgromnies posted:

Look at this fag only in it for the money. Sell out.

I prefer the term "Whore".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I'm kinda worried about the other guys in the band.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sperging over guitar cables is loving stupid too.

Other than the 2K price tag my favorite thing on the Alessandro page is

quote:

For best performance, use these cables with the arrows pointing the same direction as the signal flow (Instrument --> pedal effects --> amplifier.)

It's nice of them to align the cable's atomic structure for optimal signal flow like that. Too bad they don't have a filter for dirty electricity.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Neat. Norman Bates bought his mom an account.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

I never touch it, except when polishing the instrument.

You post like a jack-off, you play guitar like a jack-off, and your sole redeeming quality is the adorable look of confusion you get when no one in the room want to high five you when you cum.

Congratulations?

Oops. To contribute,

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Whooooo Hooooo!

High Five!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

You play guitar like a what now?

I'm listening to my first album as I type this. I only played guitar on one track on this one, because it was easier to drink during shows if I was just singing. I could post it with a few clicks, but I won't. I won't because you want me to.

How hard are you right now?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Even ones that perspective trick you into looking like a six-gun shootn' dwarf?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

stratdax posted:

This is cocaine:

I so want that one.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Thumposaurus posted:

LED fret markers.

Now they just need six per fret that light up to show you where to put you fingers, and the world of music will open up for a new generation.

*I'm kinda surprised that there isn't an infomercial for something like that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

comes along bort posted:

and here's mr. dumble himself explaining why you should wait up to two years (if he approves of you) for an amp that costs as much as a well-equipped honda accord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyQ786w2wU&t=243s

I love this. Jabba the Butt on a bar-stool "Unh, Electrons...frequencies...harmonics, vibration vacuum tubes. It's just that simple". It's like a 30 second infomercial for Homeopathic Chiropractor in a Bottle.

That's the same look he had on his face when I saw X back in '84.

Thanks for reminding me I'm gonna die soon.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 9, 2014

• Locked thread