Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah that kind of made me stop and stare too. Like....whyyyyyyyy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

It turns out cold snap is just as bad, because ... tribals can't make parkas :confused: apparently priority 1 research should always be Complex Clothing, which seems a bit dumb.

I think tribal starts need some work in terms of clothing you can make. Invading tribals need to start wearing heat/cold resistant clothing too, it's kind of silly. They're uneducated, not stupid. They can work out how to put together some furs for the cold or nice desert robes to keep off the heat.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Gonna make a "Wild West" scenario

A scenario where you start with 3x cowboy hats, 3x ponchos, 3x revolvers, beans and whisky.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
My bases are basically just lovely shacks haphazardly dumped around the place, sometimes encircled by a wall.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah scythers are bastards and there's not really a good way to kill them fuckers except bait them round a corner and EMP grenade them, then mob them with clubbers/automatic fire from close range.

You can try kiting them with a sniper but you need a really good sniper to outshoot them.

I've had success with setting up by a wall and equipping a simple pistol. You can pop out of cover, shoot, then pop back in before they can retaliate. It takes a while and you need a good shooter, but it's pretty risk free if you're careful.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheDK posted:

Don't get too attached to your colonists. Jump in and die a glorious death. Reroll your starters so you have a good shooter, good doctor, and a good chef.

A good grower helps too, as does having two or more doctors since they can't treat themselves. Luckily a single colonist can fulfill multiple roles.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Danaru posted:

At the very least it also means fighting mechanoids armed with miniguns is basically a safe bet if you have cover. Or even if you don't. Miniguns are the worst.

I have literally had a shooter kill a minigun wielding centipede with a survival rifle by standing out in the open while the vast majority of minigun bullets scattered harmlessly. You fire them into a crowd because due to how accuracy works you're literally more likely to hit the guy next to the target than the target itself. Aim at the tree next to them if there's only one.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nullkigan posted:

It's something a lot of people don't like, but seems to have come from a backer so we're kind of stuck with it until there's a blacklist for colonists like Emmie (and to a lesser extent, Min the popstar who is useless at everything and used to appear every single game).

However, it's a PAST occupation. There are also other victims like child soldiers, orphans, indentured labourers, etc., plus giant assholes like bounty hunters, violent ex-con escapees, military commissars, etc. Different backgrounds might make you feel uncomfortable, but think of it as trying to build them a better future maybe?

Those other victim occupations aren't really designed for whoever had it added to the game to wank over though

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Getting the silver together to actually let you trade is kind of reliant on getting traders in the first place.

You know, ones that aren't tribals who only buy useless junk that isn't worth anything and thus you can't make an industry around it.

gently caress tribal traders

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah the romance stuff is downright annoying. Normal people don't hit on the same person repeatedly only to get rejected again and again and then go outside and strip because of how sad they are. Not everyone in the world is a weirdo goon.

also yeah homosexuality should probably not be a trait and should probably just be a separate system, like gently caress maybe put pawns on the kinsey scale or something.

Guildencrantz posted:

Maybe they're just awkward and had one of those terrible dates where both people are attracted to each other but they both think it's not reciprocated. Don't judge.

p.sure this has happened to me before so that part is actually highly realistic

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Do you have enough leather of one type? I don't think you can mix together leather from different animals.

mod idea: assless chaps that take slightly less leather than regular leather pants

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Deketh posted:

Can you operate and install bionic limbs on healthy colonists? Or do they have to be missing a limb first? Basically I wanna create a bionic super soldier.

If you have a bionic limb you can install it on a healthy colonist, yeah.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

oohhboy posted:

This is not always practical or desirable or even a solution as food is the most intense industry you have making work hour efficiency and cook mood is a greater priority over some dudes throwing up. This remains true even with mods that let you cook up to 3 meals at a time.

The amount of movement just from the cooks kicks up a lot of dirt. Getting things clean is closer to mid+ way into a game as you just have more demanding use of manpower.

The amount of dirt pawns spread around is ridiculous. WIPE YOUR FEET YOU loving ASSHOLES.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Alternative solution: Rebuilding defeated mechanoids and make them into roombas. Roombas that constantly scheme murder.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

So, just ordinary roombas then?

P.much yeah.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Day 25: Corn falls from the sky! A brief respite from cannibalism.

I wonder if tribals think that stuff comes from gods.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
My colony's population suddenly jumped from 4 to 9 within a few seasons, and a fair few are useless. 4 who don't hauls and a pyromaniac.

I know who's on the chopping block when the food runs out.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

How do they get this 'infection' anyway? There haven't been any robots on my map, as far as I know. Secret Borg abduction?

And yeah I think she does have some bonuses to go along with the pain.

I think it's nanites in the soil. Like a robotic anthrax or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Luciferium was majorly nerfed as a super-soldier drug in A16; Tynan's vision is to have it as more of a medical thing than for combat.

HAH. It's kind of useless as a medical thing because it loving kills you.

Azhais posted:

Did he also nerf the "Luciferium: not even once" side effects, because I can't imagine ever actually letting a colonist use it in its original form

You use it once, you're instantly an addict. The consequences for withdrawal are death.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From the limited testing I've done, colonists with minimum gun skill, trigger happy, two bionic eyes, go juice, and luciferium are still extremely effective soldiers, but I haven't run the detailed numbers so I'm not sure it's really worth the tradeoff (especially if you factor in cryosleep penalties). Plus it seems like overdosing happens really easily.

It's a big investment though, with those bionics. You'd think you could yank out prosthetics from a corpse.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Winter is going to be more difficult. All the grass will die off from the cold, which makes the herbivores starve and leave. Then you'll just have starving wild carnivores... And your colony is full of walking food!

That just means the meat comes to you!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zhentar posted:

For more predictable indoor growing, one hydroponics basin of rice feeding a nutrient paste dispenser will feed one pawn... assuming no power outages or solar flares.

These will happen loving CONSTANTLY. Use hydroponics basins for growing things that grow fast, the longer something takes to grow the more time there is for a solar flare to happen and ruin everything. The sun is completely hosed up if solar flares are that common.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Eiba posted:

Horrible catastrophes that make you go, "oh god, I should have planned for this!" are great. Horrible catastrophes, or even minor ones, that just give you an unavoidable flat penalty randomly for no reason feel really bad.

That's the big, BIG flaw with Rimworld to me right now. Events are so rarely a case of something you should have planned for. Mostly they're just a big gently caress YOU. Blight should be something you survive by planting a variety of crops. Solar flares shouldn't gently caress over hydroponics so thoroughly and should be something you can get through by maybe having some alternate equipment options. What is the electricity even doing? If they died because of a lack of light from your sun lamps that would make sense, but they just die because the hydroponics basic wasn't powered. Is it meant to be because the plant isn't getting water pumped over it? gently caress, let me assign a pawn as an emergency water giver in that case.

Edit: Diseases too just seem to be something that happens just because. The best you can do against them is to get a constant supply of that drug to help against some diseases, and making sure you have a bunch of medicine on hand and enough spare kidneys to make sure everyone can rest through the disease and not die.

Slime fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 12, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

straw man posted:

Heh it's suddenly clear to me why the vanilla experience is so unsatisfying, he made this amazing open-ended simulator and then used it to "engineer an experience" heh

A developer with a vision is a terrible thing indeed.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Definitely worth an experiment or two to find out.

A manhunter pack killed a caravan earlier, and I got no reputation loss and also got to keep their stuff. Well, most of it. A good chunk of it was set on fire and burned up.

LonsomeSon posted:

I don't know anything about modding Rimworld, but is a mortar variant whose shells explode into 2-5 manhunting animals feasible? Seems like that would be a flexible (and hilarious) way to deniably waylay travelers!

Heck you could make a whole research thing about this. Make a workstation that takes animal corpses as ingredients to make a boomrat bomb. Justify it by saying you're using the biomass to clone them or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Teikanmi posted:

Penoxcycline is really low on the research area and instantly gives anyone who contracts disease 61% immunity.

Not all disease! But it does do it for malaria, yes. I think you can actually administer it after contracting malaria, but I'm not sure. It's cheap enough to produce once you have an economy going and you only need to take a pill every 5 days so it's not a major drain to just keep everyone on it at all times though.

I have multiple pawns with chemical fascination and boy is it a pain. Having drugs around is drat useful for when you really need something done, but now I have a bunch of addicts and I keep needing to replace kidneys. Regular pawns getting addicted is fine since I can just eat the productivity and mood hit until they get clean, but ones with chemical fascination just go on binges even if their mood is good. And overdose constantly.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not sure what exploit it's intended to balance. Raider clothes were already bad craftsmanship and heavily damaged. They sell for like 1-10 bucks.

Yeah, raids aren't exactly a fantastic source of cash even when you could make some money selling the clothes. You'd think these colonists would be hardened to wearing a dead man's clothes considering that most of my fighters have killed a ton of people each.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm pretty sure it's less what Tynan thinks should happen and more that it's a deliberate nerf to picking the best recruits from raiders and organ harvesting.

Except this is already punished pretty severely by the (stacking!) mood penalties for organ harvesting and selling prisoners and how hard it is to recruit prisoners.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The game could really use a restrain action where the pawn tries not to hurt the target while taking them prisoner, with the downside being that if it fails then your pawn just took a few hits from the target. Success would increase a fuckton by multiple pawns piling on one. It would be handy for stopping berserking colonists without, y'know, maybe accidentally killing them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zhentar posted:

:words: about how Rimworld handles pawns.

Ugh, yeah, this is bad. I get that Tynan wants to keep those raiders that ran off months ago, but tracking and updating them constantly is way overdoing it. They certainly don't need to remain in active memory forever.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

botany posted:

i think I'm good though, i've barely managed to get all 3 infected colonists to the immunity stage.

edit: is it safe to let the newly immune people walk around and work even though they still have the plague?

The disease stuff isn't really detailed at all. Pawns aren't infectious, they just got infected by the RNG at some point and the game didn't tell you until the disease had developed a bit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Know what I want? Something that makes getting pawns over addiction easier. Make it something that fulfills their drug need but keeps withdrawal symptoms, so they don't have the massive morale penalty but you still have something else to deal with. Go-juice withdrawal in incredibly rough to the point where very slight injuries are incapacitating due to pain, so honestly it's not like there aren't already big downsides.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I wish there was a way to manage guns the same way outfits are handled. Unless that already exists and I'm just missing it. Combining that with a toggle to prevent the forbidding of dropped weapons would remove a lot of busywork.

Honestly I wish weapons just stayed equipped. It's a goddamn pain in the rear end to give someone their weapon back if they get hurt.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
While it's possible to take someone from alive and standing up under their own power to dead in a single punch, it's kind of unlikely. And it's usually because you smashed your head on something hard on the way down.

Playstation 4 posted:

Every game/mod with a ~~* ViSiOn *~~ is always all about Realism™ right up to the point it's beneficial, then the blubbering cries of balance come out. Same with Stranded, same with Minecraft, same here.

A lot of people confuse difficulty with tedium. Rimworld unfortunately suffers from it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

This is a good idea!

I'll try it out. I don't see why the game has to keep so much stuff in the memory. If a pawn has a family member couldn't it just store that as a few lines of code on the hard drive for when they are needed later?

Never mind that a caravan seems to burden the game as much as if the pawns physically existed on a map. As opposed to their basic stats and timers.

When it comes to hauling. I used to be tolerant of non-haulers because the game makes passionate level +10 ranged/melee pawns who are just for fighting. But in between fighting I need haulers and cleaners.

Generally speaking, you don't want to constantly be accessing the hard drive...but a lot of what bloats the memory footprint isn't something that needs constant access. He probably could stand to offload a lot of stuff like storing literally every pawn you've seen outside of active memory.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Maps better have a ton more resources to mine because you already rapidly run out of stuff to mine even on a fairly small colony and just end up trading for it. Setting up a mining camp is kind of a crapshoot because honestly that stuff just didn't work very well at all last time I played.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Splicer posted:

I mean putting them in the middle of the room is weird. Who has a double bed in the middle of a room? He says while building elaborate death corridors filled with fire.

That's how people like to use them in real life, because it means you can both get in and out without clambering over someone.

edit: lol someone who's never shared a bed spotted

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

New Butt Order posted:

Are raids actually connected in any way to NPC settlements? If I beat back an enemy pirate raid and then quickly drop-pod into the settlement it came from, will it be a mostly-depopulated town of people still recovering from injuries or are raiders just spawned at the edge of your map and then disappear into the void?

Also the Prepare Carefully mod lets you do some overpowered poo poo in pretty unexpected ways. I replaced the starting pets with a small group of chickens and now have infinity food forever.

From what I can tell no. Raids arrive no matter what, even if the nearest tribals or raiders are a few months trek away they still somehow manage to keep sending guys with no real sanity regarding how much food they'd use up or what a waste of time it would be even if they did manage to rob you.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Feed wargs with raider corpses. They're basically just gonna be left to rot otherwise unless you have cannibals. If you do have a cannibal or a psychopath, have that person butcher human corpses to make kibble for your cute little puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

zedprime posted:

Working through bad events with peanuts is cool and good and how Randy should be played.

But it's like Randy is so pervasive in thread recommendations you get people poking their head in like "I can't believe Randy did XY and Z and I had to restart/save scum" and it's like you know there's a setting to avoid that and save your 10 minutes for things that matter right?

Randy's so widely used because it's not actively trying to gently caress you. It rolls a dice and sometimes you're hosed, but other storytellers just gently caress you without even rolling the dice.