Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I've played a couple games, got the basics down. I'm absolutely loving it. Best Dwarf Fortress since Dwarf Fortress. And a better game to boot.

My biggest issue is... how do I sell things? Not mechanically, I get that. But the traders I deal with never want to buy the goods I've produced. I have a shitton of cloth and a good amount of finished clothing of various types sitting in stockpiles (next to orbital beacons in case spacemen want some sweet hats), and I have had no opportunity to sell them. I've been playing for a couple years too.

What's up with that? Are there some trade goods that are harder to find buyers for than others? Have I just gotten really unlucky?

Everyone buys beer though, so I've been overproducing that to sell... but what am I going to do with all this extra cloth (and soon devilstrand) that I have lying around? My refugees are quite well attired already.

Is there anywhere that says what types of things the various traders buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

Also pawns take up a tile, in the distant future are people 3 feet wide?
You can have multiple people in a tile. It's just really uncomfortable for two people to be in the same 1x1 meter area, so they try not to do it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The component assembly bench requires thirty components to build, in addition to 400 steel.
This is the most off-putting thing about the component assembly bench. The first thirty components you produce there are just recouping your losses for building the drat thing. It's not something you build in response to a lack of components, it's a very long term investment, that only even works if you're absolutely drowning in steel.

I wish I had known how expensive the bench would be after I spent ages researching it, not to mention going through all the hoops for the most advanced researching stuff, when I was facing a chronic shortage of components due to a lack of traders in my first game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I terms of what to sell... I had assumed drugs would be the best value, but I haven't actually been wowed by them. I'm tempted to just grow insane amounts of corn to see how that is by contrast.

Coolguye posted:

this does work but requires lots of fiddling in the case of bonded animals, and this game is super fiddly already, ugh
Does it? On the animal screen you've got all the animals in a row and a button to unbind (or bind) each of them right there.

I had like half a dozen tamed boars start to come running when I drafted my animal worker, and one "oh poo poo" pause later and a few clicks, they were all meandering safely back to the barn.

That screen also lets you quickly relocate animals to different areas- I set up an animal safe zone in someone's room for when I thought the barn was in danger, and a zone in the animal corpse stockpile for when it's time to cull some pigs, and it's really easy to transfer animals en masse that way.

This game is super fiddly, but animal management is one of the more streamlined areas, in my experience.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

From what I've read on the official forums the best cash crop is actually beer. Considering how long it takes to brew+labor requirements I doubt they used that to get off the planet in half a year though.
Cool. I couldn't find a thread of the official forum, but there is a reddit thread, where Tynan actually says he'll be re-balancing them for the next version.

I didn't go super into it, but it looks like the analysis doesn't really take into consideration soil fertility for one thing (flake becomes better in hydroponics, by this guy's standards, but I'm not sure about regular rich soil). I'm also not entirely convinced by how he values time, space, and work. Hops require much more frequent harvesting and agricultural labor, not to mention the most infrastructure by far. Fermenting takes a long time, but zero work, and doesn't take up crop space (so you can be growing the next batch). But the fact that psychoid is so profitable even though it takes forever to grow makes me think it's a better crop for scaling up massively, as your farmers won't have to run around as much.

They also require different skills for processing- crafting for smokeleaf and flake, and cooking for beer, so that's situational.

And they don't even try to compare it to corn/simple meals or even straight cotton (which sells surprisingly well) or anything like that.

It's kind of amazing how all the numbers are sitting right there and no one's put them together in a sensible way. That said, I'm sure as heck not going to bother doing it myself.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress added an advanced attraction system that covered every possible level of attraction or lack there of and expressed them in meticulously reseated statistically plausible quantities.

I seem to recall this creating issues with gay breeding animals. Classic Dwarf Fortress stuff.

The thread title is hilarious. Tynan is an idiot. The game is fun. The RPS article was reasonable. There we go. That's my take.

People defending Tynan are dumb too. Defend the game as still worth playing, sure. I mean, I'd politely disagree with someone who felt this tainted the whole game (though I understand why someone would feel that way). But the guy is an idiot about this stuff, no doubt about it. His idiocy expressed itself in game mechanics, and that's gonna be called out. Just like any other lovely part of this often-wonky game would be griped about. The fact that people are doing anything but making GBS threads on Tynan is mind boggling, really. What kind of hosed up defensive tribalism reads something like a personal attack in a critique of dumb game systems?

Anyway, if he said he'd deal with it, that's a good reaction (even if his initial reaction was hilariously bad). This game doesn't have to be terrible about this stuff. There's a backer character where it casually mentions they were born a different gender from their current one, like it was no big deal. That's cool. I mean, it wasn't Tynan's idea, but it's in the game and that's cool.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Perhaps it can be a fun game even if the developer is a terrible person?
This is an entirely uncontroversial opinion here. Which is why it's so weird that a stream of people are coming in here and falling over themselves to mock an imaginary position rather than the real and hilarious meltdown of the developer.

Almost as if this kind of discussion elicits a certain kind of insecurity and defensiveness in some people.

Or, not "elicits," what's the word?

OwlFancier posted:

The thing about the attraction system is that looks are the only immediate modifier to it, they aren't the only modifier.

As far as I know, attraction is primarily based on how much people like each other, which is immediately influenced by looks (uggos get out, hotties get in, also being shot in the face and having a massive scar counts as being ugly) but even the drop dead gorgeous trait is overshadowed by long term interaction effects.
This is a good point. I was going to complain about a pair of people with annoying voices who hit on literally everyone else in my colony but each other. They shared a mutual hated pretty much entirely because they had annoying voices.

Like, eventually you would settle, right? And you'd have some empathy for people with your own issue, wouldn't you?

But now that I think about it they both had terrible social skills, so of course they'd never be able to get past the superficial stuff.

I still think the attraction traits (ugly, annoying voice, facial scars) give pretty absurd penalties that make them almost deadly in this hosed up relationship system, but I guess that's just a matter of unbalanced variables at this point.

Edit:

a whole buncha crows posted:

From a business perspective its logical to protect your livelihood and passion from any self appointed judge dredd's of sexuality. Lets not pretend there aren't an army of people waiting to pounce on a perception of prejudice, even if its a line of code.
Haha, what? No, let's look at why you feel the need to circle the wagons for some wierdos on tumblr and in comments sections who reach hyperbolic conclusions from a reasonable discussion.

I mean, the only hyperbolic conclusion I see here is "let us never speak of this, lest we incur their wrath." And I think it's worthy of mockery.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 4, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LotsBread posted:

guy sent me a free copy of rimworld when i couldn't afford it, so i thought "woah, he's a p cool dude"

then the islam thing showed up last year and i was kinda conflicted

then i forgot about it, thinking "so yeah, he sounds a bit like a dick, but he's got some worth as a human being"

then this poo poo comes up, and im conflicted again

i am joe's battered-wife consumer cycle
Well, he's an asshat, no doubt about it. But it seems like he might cave to popular pressure, so the game itself will probably (hopefully...) not reflect what an idiot he is.

It's a good game. He has some solid ideas about what makes a good base builder/story generator, even if he is a Bad Person.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TeaJay posted:

You really think he's an "asshat" and a "bad person" based on something like this? I'd say more like dumb and/or misinformed. I doubt he has malicious agendas.
Does "asshat" not mean "dumb and/or misinformed"? Sorry, I might have used the wrong term.

Calling out his dumb beliefs is not calling him Hitler.

a whole buncha crows posted:

I just said its understandable where he is coming from, feel free to laugh at the dude hes obviously out of touch, but gently caress the article too, it's not hard to allow the guy to say his piece and then write your article around that but i guess including the correspondence where he is willing to change things to be more acceptable to lgbt would make the whole thing pointless.
Ah, well another point of misunderstanding is this. Asking to be published unedited means they're agreeing to publish the complete text of Mein Kamf if that's his response. Of course they'd blow off that demand. I know that's not what Tynan was thinking, and maybe they should have negotiated further, but that's... not really anything RPS did wrong.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you read his responses in Reddit linked previously? They seemed perfectly fine and were not in any way, shape, or form "the complete text of Mein Kamf." If the article had includes his responses and his responses were similar to that, this would be much ado about nothing. I mean, more so than it already is.
I understand his intention and concerns. But do you understand RPS's editorial concerns? "I will only offer comment if you agree ahead of time to post my comments in full," is a far less reasonable demand than Tynan thought it was and I can't fault RPS for not engaging that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Whether you run an animal farm or not is irrelevant. You are at the point where you have enough slack manpower capacity for your pawns to clean effectively.
You don't need a ton of manpower, you just need one assistant.

Get a worthless pawn (who can still haul and clean), limit them to the kitchen and food stockpile, set cleaning priority to high. The rest of your base can be a mess, but the important bits will get cleaned constantly. In their down time they can haul ingredients to the one tile stockpiles on stools next to the kitchen and take the meals back to the stockpile. If you're bothered by how idle this pawn ends up being, you could give them some busywork to do, like art, at a low priority.

You can have your kitchen in a really high traffic area no problem if it's got a dedicated janitor. It'll boost your food production a lot in general too.

If you're up for the micro, you can also keep the rest of your haulers out of the kitchen so they don't get in this pawn's way, and waste their time reserving a job to haul five units of rice to top off the kitchen stockpile.

Zigmidge posted:

you're right oohboy, food poisoning is a problem that needs to be modded out. you're absolutely correct about everything and there are no ways around it. none.
This is a pretty over the top reaction to this discussion. Might want to take a step back.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Blight is also dumb as hell in that it hits every plant type the same way at the same time. The whole purpose of growing multiple crops is to protect yourself against crop failures.
Yeah, it'd feel a lot better if it wiped out a single crop type, rather than everything. You'd still get terrible scenarios where all your food is gone, but you'd know it was really your fault for relying entirely on rice (or whatever). Maybe make it some sort of pests and have it affect your stockpiles too.

Horrible catastrophes that make you go, "oh god, I should have planned for this!" are great. Horrible catastrophes, or even minor ones, that just give you an unavoidable flat penalty randomly for no reason feel really bad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

He's specifically giving advice for how to get into the game for a total newbie. All that stuff is optional yes, but very good to have.
I think it's probably more useful to make mistakes with your loadout and realize why you need certain things.

Everyone enjoys games differently though, and that's not a terrible guide for a new player who would be really frustrated by realizing too late things had gone wrong long ago.

Embracing the old motto "Losing is fun" would probably serve a new player better.

Or at least providing a minimal list to avoid only the biggest pitfalls, rather than a guide to totally optimize things right off the bat.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Moose posted:

Didn't an earlier version of B18 have a neutroamine recipe and some sort of psychoid tea for tribals? Did that get taken out or was it always a mod?
The following post referenced a neutroamine recipe in A18. Did it not make it into B18? I've only been playing on A18, but I didn't even get around to actually crafting neutroamine. Honestly, being dependent on traders for neutroamine kind of works. Bulk traders have a ton of it, and it makes sense that there are important components for drugs that you'd never be able to manufacture in a lovely ramshackle colony.

I remember the psychoid tea for sure in A18. Is that also not in B18? There was a whole "psychoid brewing" tech.

Flesh Forge posted:

Another tip: grow hay and tame boomalopes, it's hilarious

Also Tynan added a crafting recipe for neutroamine in A18, so you can just make all the drugs now (herbal medicine + chemfuel) so it's double good

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

A setup like this usually carries me pretty far through the early game and, generally, keeps me from worrying too much about grabbing turrets at all. This is from a pretty early game tribal situation so the fighting pit is fairly compressed to compensate for ranges. In case anything gets through the running man hell path.

How do you deal with the fact that raiders seem to learn pretty quick where your death corridor is and avoid it at all cost?

I had just a simple hallway of like 8 checkerboard traps and raiders gave up going that way after like two attempts. They'd rather spend hours bashing through my doors or the walls no matter how thick they are. Even the raids that aren't theoretically sappers.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

e; I hope none of that sounded patronizing. It helps me to organize my thoughts if I sort of think out loud and work with basic principles.
Nope, that was pretty helpful.

Random firing lines in your fields like you have always seemed to me like a reasonable solution to the issue of attacks coming from anywhere, and I've had setups vaguely like that before. I had thought maybe you had a way to funnel everyone in since you put so much effort into your main death hallway. It makes sense as mechanoid defense, with the regular bullshit behind for sappers and the like.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have dealt with that exact situation before by building a huge room full of wooden beds near the tunnels, carefully digging a tunnel from the bed room into the bug room, and then throwing a Molotov onto one of the beds.

I think with just 20 or so beds the temperatures got to like a thousand degrees in the cave. The air itself started to glow. It didn't just kill the bugs, it made them all spontaneously combust and burn away into nothing, so I didn't even get any free kibble meat out of it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wish I knew why fish from that mod has to be its own special snowflake food and not just another form of meat.
There is just generic "fish meat" which is great and what it should be. Occasionally you fish up a big or small fish and have to butcher it and get meat and it works like any other meat. But then there's all these weird specific fish with specific recipes that feel needlessly complex and un-vanilla and I wish it was just "fish meat" and they left it at that.

I've only caught a couple crayfish though. Everything else has just been generic fish meat. I like the mod on balance, but the specific foods and recipes are terrible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Slime posted:

So is it still not worth going for hydroponics if you have solar flares enabled? Because it seems like with how often the game likes to gently caress me with solar flares I'm better off installing sun lamps in heated, soily rooms to grow things throughout the whole year rather than bother with goddamn hydroponics what with how often it loving fails and drat near instantly kills the goddamn loving plant.
Hydroponics are good for rice. You get a harvest in a couple of days so who cares if a solar flare wipes one out? I wouldn't grow anything else in them though.

Sunlamps in dirt rooms are definitely a superior option, they're just somewhat less flexible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

While we're making the guy who posts the awesome content feel bad, am I the only one who gets over the novelty of cults really quick? Like the first time it's all "oh wow, some crazy over the top thing happened!" but after that it's just kind of a fact of life and it's not really a compelling enough concept to keep it interesting long term.

(Keep up the awesome posts, guy. Though an LP or an imgur album might be cooler formats for someone with as much output as you.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TropicalCoke posted:

Here's my base. Tell me what you think.
Your solar panel/wind turbine setup is driving me insane.

You need a heated room with a dirt floor and a sunlamp to grow devilstrand where you are. Good news is since it's such a slow grower you can set this up pretty far away from your base and just forget about it. Your guys will only rarely have to actually walk out there. Raiders don't tend to attack structures like that. Just make sure you've got some redundant wires going out there in case some get destroyed.

It takes a whole ton of power though, so be sure you can afford it. Double thick walls are perfect insulators, unless they changed something since I last read about it. You'll still lose heat through the roof so you might need a couple heaters if you're setting up a big devilstrand house.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Here's the end of my last run. I built a drug-colony - huge psychoid fields and a terraformed deep water moat around the full perimeter:

Honestly? It was a bit boring.
Well there's your problem!

There are a lot of things that make sense and would be cool, but the current game doesn't really support them. Embrasures are a big one- logical, but the AI totally doesn't get them so they're absurdly overpowered.

Using water for defense is another one like that that seems like it should be cool, but totally isn't reasonable given the lack of tools your opponents have to deal with it. I feel like those archipelago maps, as cool as they are, kind of have a similar problem.

Raiders learn about your death-hall of traps after a few goes and will avoid that path like the plague, even if it's apparently wide open to them. But if the've got no other choices- no random walls to bust down or mountains to dig through- I guess they'll keep dying in the same way over and over.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Yeah, zzzt is annoying. It's worse than flash storms because not only does it cause fires, it also affects production (hydroponics can just keel over, for example) and you have no agency in it.
Eh, the flipside of it being right in your base is that there are probably a ton of people around to fight the fire. Flashstorms can create massive unfightable forest fires because you're not going to be hopping right on every strike on the far side of the map.

Solar flares guarantee hydroponic death with literally nothing you can do about it. I never lost hydroponics, or anything else of consequence, to zzzts.

Zzzts are indeed unfun bullshit, but I totally agree with the poster who said they're not nearly so bad as the hate makes them out to be. I make my bases out of wood and I've never had any significant repercussions from the event, in contrast with blights (the old version- the new one is more or less fine), solar flares, tornadoes, and insects.

But maybe I'm just getting lucky. I remember being frustrated with them when I started playing however long ago that was. But now I know to put firefighting as top priority on everyone, and instantly draft/undraft everyone when a zzzt happens to reset their jobs, and it's been fine.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I got a chemical fascination guy with great shooting skill who was a passionate cook, and I figured I could totally use that. I've had good luck with just arresting people going on drug binges. Sure it's kind of annoying to have to do, but I kept my chemical interest people happy and so I basically never had to deal with it.

Unfortunately this chemical fascination guy had a horrible scar on his torso that caused constant pain, so he was constantly breaking down. And my colony produced massive quantities of Flake as its primary export. So that was an issue! Eventually I got the bright idea to buy a pain stopper to get rid of the bad mood for pain. This guy was also a nudist so he was really happy about that all the time, and I set him to joy activities half the day because I really just needed him to shoot and help with cooking every now and then, not for constant labor. I would make sure this guy was too drat happy to ever break.

There were three things I didn't know. First, Chemical Fascination is not the same as Chemical Interest. My Chemical Interest colonists are only into soft drugs, so they had never been tempted by my massive piles of flake, and I had no beer or smokeleaf. Second, binges aren't really breaks- 100% happy pawns will still randomly go on binges. Third, it is impossible to arrest someone with a painstopper without killing them.

tl;dr: I accidentally created an uncontrollable naked drug fueled monster who feels no pain. I've walled him into his room for now, but I don't really know what to do with him now. This is pretty awkward.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 9, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, this was the first time I'd used a painstopper and they seem... really bad! I didn't know that unconsciousness was almost entirely a product of pain. The ability to go unconscious when you're hosed up is important!

This guy is good at melee too. Maybe I'll just give him a sword and let him fight to the death next time I get a raid.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Army of trained huskies for haulers. Thank me later.
Not ideal in a drug producing colony 'cause they keep sneaking tastes on the goods.

Also they tend to wander outside my walls and get eaten by bears, but in the end that might not be a bad thing. I have a few always-open trap corridors that wildlife just freely wanders in. If I didn't have semi-worthless psychite-addicted dogs out there to feed the wolves and bears they'd probably come in and eat my muffalo and chicken. So I guess they keep the bears satisfied and full, which is a plus.

Honestly, I should just sell all my god drat dogs and build an internal fence for the livestock.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

McGiggins posted:

Some dumb chick ran a (i want to say rps article, but could easily and probably am, wrong) about how "fun indie game dev hates gays",
Not talking about this at all is probably the best idea, but I nevertheless feel the need to point out that the original offending article was perfectly reasonable and fair outlining of the dumb gender issues that were in the game at the time. I know we collectively can't really handle a discussion on this subject, so I'll leave it there, but regardless of how you feel it's important to remember things accurately.

Also Tynan did eventually back off and essentially concede the point.

No one in the scenario was as stupid as you portray them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

The drawback of long growing plants like corn and devilstrand is that the events that can ruin your harvests like Blights or Cold Waves become far more impactful and dangerous and can set you back thousands units of silver(or food) and weeks of growing time, instead of being a mild annoyance they are when growing rice/cotton.
It's a bit of a power investment, but you can just build a cheap wooden structure around a sunlamp somewhere remote on your map. Put a campfire in there rather than a heater and it's pretty disaster-proof. Power might go out, or the temperature might go bad, but it'll just slow things down rather than killing your crop. Raiders shouldn't find it worth the trouble to break into either.

Build a few of these in different places and even if a combination of tragedies takes out one, the rest should keep on trucking.

It's a pretty reliable source of devilstrand if you get all that set up. Very little labor to maintain.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Last time I went in for mods I got a bunch of Vanilla Expanded stuff. I liked the idea of putting more stuff in the game without fundamentally messing with what it was all about.

Except all I ended up with were dozens of crops and clothes and weapons that were no better than actual vanilla stuff. Basically a bunch of pointless clutter. In retrospect that's exactly what I signed up for, but it sounded cooler before I actually looked at all the weapons and clothes and crops and figured I didn't need any of them.

So I guess going forward I'd be more selective about stuff that does add something to the game. And that doesn't mean it needs to be game-changing, but just that if I'm going to get something that's largely aesthetic it better be because I actually like the aesthetic, and not because it's part of a giant pack like Vanilla Expanded.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Det_no posted:

Paniel the Automata: Robots! Really fancy robots constructed with a custom menu that lets you choose a specialization, which materials you'd like to use for the body and how many compotents you'd like to spend in hopes of getting a good RNG result and a better AI. They drink chemfuel, they are really tough, they explode when they die and they have a dark, dark secret.
First, thanks for that huge effort post! I'll definitely be looking into a number of those options.

This mod though... it looks like a neat mod, mechanically. I like robots and I've been using Robot Tiers, which is nice but has a lot of issues I'm not happy with. This one seems like I'd like it, except... why are they all the same random anime girl?

I wouldn't even mind if they were slightly different anime girls. Or a more obviously robotic anime girl. But they're just a whole bunch of versions of this one character. Why? It's not even appealing as an indulgent cutesy anime thing unless you're really into that one design. If there was a sub-mod to give these robots more visual variety I'd definitely give this mod a try.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

My favorite robot mod is currently Rim Robots! which is super lightweight compared to most of the other android/robot mods and has a ton of customization. Adds 2 robot races; Mechanents who are basically human shaped mechanoids who have a bunch of different kinds of cool robot heads and run on Chemfuel or Uranium and Personae who are stereotypical human-looking.

Nowhere near as performance draining as Android Tiers and I really like the different Mechanent looks.
Oh neat! Yeah this is probably more like what I'm looking for.

For a while I've been wanting to do a run with transhumanist tribals who start with a robot or two. Just really lean into the Rimworld premise of all these different levels of social complexity chaotically coexisting. A nature focused transhumanist ideoligon is a pretty fun concept to me- living in harmony with nature by removing humans from it as much as possible.

I had a go with Android Tiers, but it added a bunch of other junk I wasn't as into.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

In that case, why not go for a 1 human, 2 mechanents start, the RP being that the human is going to use robots to accomplish their goals. Either you can go full "murder all other humans while I clean this world!" or you can be very picky with who you ally/recruit.
lol, I was imagining a more benevolent kind of self-isolation when I said remove humans- using technology to tread lightly and have less of an impact- but I realize this is Rimworld and your interpretation is far more straightforward in the logic of the world. Also its own intriguing idea for a play-through.

I like the idea of starting as a group of tribals, living off the land, hunting, etc. but under the guidance/influence of their robot buddy, eventually transitioning to ethical nutrient paste, and using machines to make themselves more comfortable. Eventually they'll be going out into pristine nature to meditate under the anima tree, and then return to their futuristic camp with their bio-sculptor pods and neural accelerators. It's not entirely coherent, but the base game lets you do it, so I figured spicing things up with robots and such would be fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I don't change stack sizes cause most those mods seem like super cheating. I do have a mod for little food freezers though and have noticed my pawns doing weird things in the larger fridge sometimes, but is just a one trip thing general. Thanks for the heads up though.
I felt that way about stack sizes because it does really cut down on a lot of the difficulty of planning a base.

But then I realized I actually do not care about and do not respect the 'challenge' of making a gigantic warehouse. It's only challenging because I don't want to bother. So gently caress it, stack everything up 10x the default amount. I've been playing like that for a while and the parts of the game I care about are all just as challenging and no real gameplay complexity is lost.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One more layout question, sorry. This is the natural entrance to my base.

What should I reshape it into to make it a kill zone?
One fun thing is to have two sets of walls with traps between them, but doors so that your pawns can go directly through without going down the trap corridor.

If there's an open path, enemies normally won't bother destroying doors (unless they're specifically sappers). So you can go really crazy with an open maze full of traps that your own people can bypass with a door. For a first defense it's probably way easier just to set up two parallel walls- one wall has a gap on the left the other wall has a gap on the right, with traps between the walls, and a door lined up with one of the gaps.

Starting off it's perfectly fine to use wood. Sure it burns and can be torn down easily, but if you're just funneling people through traps it's fine and a lot quicker to set up.

It should be noted that, when it comes to traps in a narrow corridor you should be careful not to overdo it. Your own pawns have a small chance to set off your own traps, and they will probably rearm the traps in a really dumb order if you don't micromanage them.

It's also worth considering having a held-open door for one or the other of your gaps. There are some enemies that can be defeated just by closing your door- like man-hunting packs of bunnies. It's nice to have the option to run someone out to close the door and let them pass. But you'll want to leave the door open by default, otherwise all the raiders will try to smash into your base from random directions (as opposed to just the sappers who will do that regardless).

You'll probably want more cover for your guys further away from this whole setup so they can shoot the enemies that make it through your trap hall. You can check your weapon's range by drafting someone with the weapon and mousing over the weapon icon. You'll want your fortifications at about the farthest range practical so you have the most time to shoot melee enemies trying to close the gap, but if you put them too far back you may get hosed over by really long range enemies with things like sniper rifles.

Basically you just want a small gap in your walls that your guys can shoot at. There are ways you can make your setup more effective by denying your enemies cover, but that's probably more complicated than you need to start. The best way to improve your design is to just build something and then see what goes wrong when you get raided.

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm always leery of using grenades in that situation after having a few hit the wall on my side of the door and drop to the ground. The results were "welp gonna reload that from a save"
Grenades can miss by one tile- just treat them as having a one tile bigger blast zone than the outline indicates and you'll be fine.

As long as you're targeting the floor, and not an enemy who is walking towards your walls.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

How do I stop people/animals from pointlessly wandering in and out of the kitchen? I'm trying to keep the place clean and it's ticking me off
Just cover the floor in straw. Straw flooring has a small cleanliness penalty, but not enough to cause food poisoning, and pawns and animals don't deposit dirt on it, so you'll never have to clean it ordinarily.

At least, I'm pretty sure the cleanliness penalty is small enough to be kitchen safe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Straw flooring is great. Sure it's a bit ugly, but with all the time you won't spend cleaning you could probably crank out a piece of art to counter all that, if it even really makes a difference.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Can't you just disallow unfinished things in all your stockpiles? They won't haul it anywhere then.

Usually the issue with that is when a new author comes along and dumps the previous one on the floor and you have a whole mess of unfinished components or whatever all over the floor by the crafting bench, but that mod you mentioned seems like it would fix that issue. I hadn't heard of it and I'm actually kind of excited to use it! It'll make pumping out components a lot less messy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've been running transhumanist a lot specifically so my pawns are okay with nutrient paste. I don't have a problem managing cooking food and all that, I'm just done with the micromanagement required to keep them from whipping a meal out of their pocket after combat or something and getting that ridiculously punishing "ate without table" debuff. They actually have to walk all the way back to the lovely dining room I set up to eat nutrient paste, and end up happier on balance.

Of course caravans need to eat pemmican or survival meals, and I'm not going to bother changing assignments every time I send someone out, so I just allow everyone on the "paste" food assignment to eat pemmican while I have caravans out. It's hell. Half my colony is tribals who I have worship at the anima tree daily. Whenever there's a caravan out they all make themselves miserable by snacking on pocket pemmican after their daily meditation. And it's not like I could build a dining room next to the anima tree, even if I wanted to.

It occurs to me that I could just mod out the "ate without table" debuff, rather than jumping through all these hoops to make sure my dumbass pawns actually use the dining room, but that feels too much like cheating.

Now if there was a mod that let me forbid colonists from putting food in their pockets, that might be a better feeling solution. Why do pawns carry food with them by default? It only makes them miserable and everything runs a lot smother when they actually have to return to a central location to eat. It's not like the penalty for being a bit hungry while you walk across the map is all that severe.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

isndl posted:

Leave the barn partially unroofed or deconstruct a wall so it becomes Outside and vents heat instantly. If your barn is underground though you'll have to go with treating them like the live munitions they are.
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure partially or even completely unroofed "rooms" still retain heat. Magic outdoor-status cooling only happens if there's a break in the wall. And it needs to be a proper break- even open doors retain heat. But a one single break in the wall makes it so your bug burning room goes from 400 to 20 degrees instantly. I know that much from experience.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

isndl posted:

I've never had the game crash during load and I'm always tabbed out for the loading sequence. I even got a mod to make a loud noise when the game finishes loading since it's in the background. :shrug:
I know I could probably find it with a bit of searching, but do you happen to know what mod that is off the top of your head? It sounds really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

They aren't impacted as heavily by less fertile soils. If you have good soil to plant in, plant anything else.
Potatoes are also less labor intensive than rice, but faster to grow than corn. They do have a niche if you've harvested some rice but don't have the pawns to spare for frequent rice harvesting, and also don't have enough food stockpiled to wait for corn.