Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

My bloodlust android jedi has now gotten auged up almost all the way, and now moves ~15 c/s. Its amazing.

I've played this game for 711 hours and somehow not had the idea to just stack all my bionics on a single super-soldier; always spreading them out instead. I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

double nine posted:

what's a good way to deal with this? The mountain rubble falling down is a good way for enemies to take cover behind, which I'd rather avoid. Any suggestions beyond moving the defensive position towards the west?

Are you willing to run mods? Collapser will solve this problem by removing the overhead roof after it falls and forms a rubble tile once, then you can just mine it back out.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 10, 2020

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Asimo posted:

Eeh, alt-tabbing is fine. Just don't alt tab back in until it's done. :v:

In my experience that hasn't been a problem either. It will report the program as non-responsive, but if I click to wait it will still eventually figure itself out, even if I click away from it again.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Alternatively, if you're up for a little tedium, there's a mod that will let you completely remove the overhead mountain roofing it by making it get removed when the roof collapses. I usually only use this for the little bits of like 5x5 overhead mountain roofs you get out by themselves, rather than trying to cave in a mountain that takes up a full side of the map. Great for keeping bugs out of places they don't really belong, but show up in anyway because you have 2 overhead mountain tiles in the room.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499847220

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Map Reroll is so useful it's probably cheating. I know you can set it to generate maps with fewer resources when rerolling, but it doesn't by default and I never turned that option on.

I also use OgreStack to increase stack sizes, Deep Storage didn't seem to get along with all my hundreds of other mods.

MinifyEverything is not necessarily cheating on it's own, but can definitely be abused.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 1, 2022

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

El Spamo posted:

micro-manage-y stuff where you're swapping around different tools

There's also a mod for that: Grab Your Tool!

I just equip the outfit with the bonuses I'm most interested in, since even if they changed clothes on their own it probably isn't worth the time spent changing.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
SteamDB has been tracking builds on a branch titled "mirage" since Nov. 2021, they had a new build go up every day last week so something is certainly in the works.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

isndl posted:

If you look at the screenshots, you might notice that shelves now hold multiple stacks. :aaaaa:

Biotech expansion announced! Update 1.4 on unstable branch posted:

Actually useful shelves that store lots of stuff: Fill your storerooms with shelves, which can now hold up to 3 stacks of most items. (Our testers were very excited with this one!) There is also a 1-tile mini-shelf. Shelves should help to keep your colony tidy and organized, and protect your items.

Interesting, might be enough to get me away from using stack size increasing mods.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Dubs Mint Menus?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Does it do that with the default xenotypes, or just your own custom ones? I was under the impression that the "50% chance to pass on each gene" only effected custom xenotypes, which just seems kinda lovely.

Also really don't like that you can't use the dev menu to change to one of your custom xenotypes, just the default ones. Character Edit was able to save me there at least.

This won't help the problem, custom xenotype parents roll a 50% chance on each GERMLINEgene to see if they pass it on, the xenogenes are never passed on by default. The lost genes aren't "deactivated", they are removed from the new pawn entirely. Within 3 generations most likely they'd be back to baseline humans again, which feels lovely when the Yttakin, Impids, and whatnot have no problem passing on all their genes. I really have no idea why they made it work this way, I get it if you're mixing two different xenotypes you need to do something to merge them, but why when both parents are the same xenotype?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That's extremely weird, I assumed it would just work on a per-gene basis and endogenous traits were just as heritable regardless of the source.

What a weird way to do it.

That checkbox that you hit on custom xenotype creation to "make germlinegenes inheritable" gives them that 50% chance, without that they'd be producing 100% baseline humans.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

piL posted:

Somewhere in development I think someone realized it wasn't going to make that much of a difference for most players and the added complexity would invite more opportunities for systems to break or more time to develop/test and what we got was the "good enough" answer.

Disagree on this bit, I ran into this on literally the first day within 2 hours of playing. I did a crashlanded start and created a custom xenotype, and applied it to all 3 pawns (technically all 8), and 2 pawns happened to start a relationship pretty quickly after starting. Didn't take too long before they became pregnant, and then gave birth to a pawn tagged as a baseliner (I think this bit got hotfixed on launch day after I encountered it) that was missing half the traits both parents had and sent me researching why the genes didn't pass on after I marked them "inheritable" . I had put both types of tails on this xenotype, and somehow the kid had neither (among a host of other genes). I would guess a lot of players will do a game start on either crashlanded or lost tribe with a custom xenotype and will be likely to have a pregnancy happen, and then encounter this system.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, but doesn't the "Genes are heritable" toggle on the custom xenotype editor make your custom xenotype function like the prebuilt ones where the entire line gets passed on?

That checkbox gives it the 50% chance to be inherited, without that none of the genes would pass on. I'm also pretty sure it moves them from Xenogenes to Germline genes when you hit that? I haven't messed with custom xenotype creation since I started this save and subsequently had to install Character Editor to reapply the custom xenotype to the infant.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

I don't think anyone wants that much complexity, a simple "50% chance for dad's genes, 50% chance for mom's, if they both have it 100% chance" is how I assumed the system would work and how I want it to work

:same:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Weird. A bug is messing up my xenotype editor when creating a colony in both the base UI and Character Editor. When I scroll to the bottom there's a blank xenotype and the Okay/Save button vanishes. It's explicitly not any mod that does anything to genes or xenotypes since I removed all of those and it persists. Anyone had something similar?

Yeah the same thing happens to me, unsure what mod is making it upset but it's that blank tile showing that seems to break the UI. If you collapse the Drug Genes menu on the bottom things should act normally again.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 27, 2022

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Sachant posted:

I've just been extracting from my colonists to make a xenogerm of just their xenotype and I'll re-apply it to the kids (and to all of them for consistency) once it's done I guess. Hope that works.

Bad news, Xenogerms cannot be inherited at all unless you install a mod to do so. Only Germline Genes are inherited through birth, though you could just keep reapplying that xenogerm. However...

Sachant posted:

I don't think the character editor has support for changing that yet.

Great news, Character Editor can change xenotype already. You could also go through and randomly change a bunch of the already generated pawns' xenotypes using that. I already used it to fixed the child that was born missing half the custom xenotype, and since only one of my timed rituals grants a new pawn, I decided I'm just going to use Character Editor to change the xenotype of whatever pawns come in from that event.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 27, 2022

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Griz posted:

Meal Radius mod mostly fixes this by searching for tables within 128 tiles instead of the default 32

I didn't know about that one, I use Table Diner to accomplish a similar thing except the search radius is adjustable with a slider on each individual table, or you can set a table to be disabled from the search entirely so people stop trying to have lunch in the Mayor's Office uninvited. Pawns will then go to the closest table that they are within the radius of.

Table Diner is practically a "must have" mod for me.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I used to have Destroy Item installed to do that back in 1.3, I haven't tried it in 1.4 yet.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

BitBasher posted:

New Clothes

I use Everybody Gets One for clothing and meal creation orders. Then I can set the clothing orders to all just be "One per colonist + 1" to always keep an extra ready to go. Since this is looking at all the stockpiles and equipped gear it works well with restricting to accepted materials only and doing things like upgrading to devilstrand dusters later on when I have materials for it.

It also lets me set cooking orders to make 4 meals per colonist and avoid creating too many extras at once, or having to go adjust the amount in the bill later as my colony expands.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

so stupid problem, I have the kitchen setup how I like with shelves making everything super sick. still using rimfridge so I can have distant fridges for things without having to think about cooling to super cold temps. I also have a wall fridge right behind the kitchen setup to the dining room so people can grab meals fast.

when I have it set to "drop on floor", the guy just keeps churning out meals past what I want, because there's no stockpile there. when I have a stockpile there with a lower priority than the fridge, pawns walk into the kitchen to grab from there first. what can I do to make this better/easier?

Guess I'm back to post another of Uuugggg's mods again, I use Room Food to fix this, which has pawns find the table they want to eat at and then check to see if there's any food in that room already. I do the same thing you do with wall fridges, this should make pawns come pull a meal out there before they check other rooms for available food. As an added bonus, if you just keep things like Packaged Survival Meals elsewhere this will pretty effectively keep people from eating them randomly, without having to mess with changing around food restrictions.

Basically everything this guy makes is great, and just a small QoL fix. If you've been sorting the workshop list by Most Subscribed you probably have a few already, the full list is worth a look. Everything in this collection has been updated to 1.4 except "Fuel Economy" and "Ground Scanner Redesign [1.0-only]", it's worth taking a look through the collection of Uuugggg's RimWorld mods

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I don't know how people keep track of that many mods and what is doing what.

Believe it or not, there's a mod for that.

oops

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 1, 2022

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Honestly until Royalty "winning" never really sounded like it. You build (or walk to) a ship and then it flies you to.... somewhere! Where? Some other poo poo world out on the rim! Or maybe it just floats around in orbit for a few thousand years doing nothing because the AI didn't feel like it! Then we can do it all over again on some other shitworld! It's not like you're trying to "get back home" or something, which given how there is no FTL travel in Rimworld the "home" you'd be going back to would either be completely different or gone. Why not just stay here in the nice home you've made for yourself?

At least with Royalty it's "You impressed the space king and he's made you a space duke. Travel with him back to the royal fleet and be space royalty, maybe even see a glitterworld one day."

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
I think it's less that they can't think they are pretty, but that a truly kind person wouldn't treat someone better just because they were pretty (though studies show that most people do).

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Obligatory mod post, Convert Then Release helps streamline this process a little at least.

Convert Then Recruit is also great for your more regular prison guests.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Kestral posted:

Is there any decent replacement for Ranged DPS? I miss being able to tell at a glance whether a gun - especially from a mod - is any good for a given colonist without having to plug it into a spreadsheet.

Not exactly the same, but I use WeaponStats which will at least make the spreadsheet for you, and you can click on weapons from said spreadsheet to select and move the camera over to them.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Oh nice, I had been using that as well, but then it didn't seem to get a 1.4 update when the individual mods were all updated.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

marumaru posted:

bumping my own question because i almost thought i had found it, but i had just found What's That Mod

i want to click on a Persona Core and see what recipes its used in :(

I think you're talking about Auto links? It doesn't show a 1.4 update but seems to be working fine anyway.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Floors, I believe, are not stuffed.

Unless you use Stuffed Floors

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Still is, Roads of the Rim (Continued) is one of the nearly 700 mods Mlie is maintaining, an absolutely insane undertaking.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that's what I do, mostly my complaint is that you can't copy outfits, so if you want to set up a new outfit and you have a lot of mods that add apparel, you have to go through and manually set up the basics each time before adding in the specific things you want them to wear.

I'm back to perform my sole purpose in life of posting mods, [KV] Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, Drug, & Operation Settings [1.4] will let you save settings in any of these menus and reload them, either within the same save or between save files.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

wait so held open doors still slow people down even tho they're open? What happens if you put chunks in the doorways?

A held open door will slow people down more than almost anything else, for some reason. Flesh Forge did the science back here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3598337&pagenumber=1228&perpage=40#post527543698

Additionally with the way the door coding works for allowing people to peak around a door corner and attack, it will let people attack through corners for an incredibly cheesy killbox where the enemy literally cannot attack you back.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
It doesn't look like you have doors in there, I thought that glitch required doors to be placed on the corner tiles you wanted to attack into?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
8/10, my friend was turned into a slugman but you've gotta see this dining room!

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Steam is sometimes very bad about updating Workshop mods, if you have an individual mod like that giving you trouble you can try the unsubscribe/resubscribe dance to force it to update. It also seems at some point recently Steam was updated to also check for Workshop updates when doing a "Verify Integrity of game files" scan, which seems to have been working for me to force updates.

If a "core" mod like hugslib is throwing errors for you, it may be worth having Steam check for mod updates.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Sounds like you're looking for While You're Up / PUAH+

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

what music mod.

P-Music

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
The base game does, but as almost always, there is a mod for that. (It's Tech Advancing and it is good.)

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Asimo posted:

Not sure why the hell a hair mod would cause issues but I guess there were some pawn creation changes behind the scenes?

Like many of the other Vanilla Expanded mods, it adds a bunch of other features aside from just more hair options like most hair mods. It tries to add in a barber table for just hair changes instead of having it on the basegame styling station and have it use it's own UI windows when you interact with it, and I think that's what causes it to sometimes has issues with other things not interacting well.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Leal posted:

The best mod for 1.5 has already been released

Let's see what else is new on the workshop today...

Well, that's not what I guessed for 2024

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Don't worry, it looks like the author has already thought of everything

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Can you put bionics on the horses? Do they take 2 bionic arms and 2 bionic legs or 4 bionic legs?

This made me too curious and I had to have answers so I went through the code on their linked github, it looks like they have added new ponyparts, like Pony_FrontLeg, Pony_RearLeg, Pony_FrontHoof and Pony_RearHoof, however the front limbs are still grouped as arms and are tagged as manipulation limbs. They made their own prosthetics, but the bionics section is commented out and marked as unfinished. Also they added in the "extra" bone in horselimbs for the cannon bone.

So you get a whole new fleet of body parts to keep around, assuming you leave any non-pony races.

vvvvv liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, all the internal stuff appears to be 'standard', it's just the limbs that get new ponyparts, along with tails, horns, and wings. It doesn't look like you'd be able to attach prosthetic wings to a standard pony, however, which I disagree with. Technology was supposed to make all ponis equal.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I don't understand why they are a pervert, but I can't parse the screenshot at all. Do I need to know what RJW is in order to understand this?

These questions will lead you to a dark place...