Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So "fun" little thing I just discovered.

Packed food in caravan will always spoil at default rate, regardless of weather conditions or temperature the caravan is traveling in. You are not informed about this when you are packing food for caravan, because "time until the food spoils" that is shown when packing actually takes the season and temperature on the map in consideration. Which is kind of misleading.

No, I did not just lost my whole colony when my huge stockpile of packed food suddenly spoiled when traversing tundra in middle of winter, causing everyone to starve to death, why do you ask? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Funny, I love starting my game pretty much complete opposite. Random colonist, using Prepare Carefully just to make sure they don't have something stupid like incapable of dumb labor x3 that would made the game unplayable, Crashlanding Hard and beginning in relatively harsh biome like Tundra, Jungle or Desert.

I love beginning in absolute misery and slowly building up into prosperous Colony.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol if you don't have a freezer full of human meat in the guest allowed area and don't regularly get mad dosh for letting the visitors satisfy their curiosity about how human tastes like.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jose posted:

How do I set up an area for them? I've not been able to find any option to create visitor specific areas

If you dont have a Hospitality mod you cant.

If you DO have a Hospitality mod, click on the visitor, (specifically a non-colony pawn that was spawned as a part of "Visitors" event) and there among "health", "gear", etc... will also be a "guest" tab where you can set a bunch of stuff, like which area are they allowed in, if you allow them to buy items in the allowed area, if you try to entertain them or recruit them etc.... There is a "Set as default" button there, that will set the current setup for all visitors current and future, otherwise the settings are only for that one pawn only.

I played like 30 hours with the Hospitality mod before I discovered that little tab. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1136958577

On the off chance you wanted to have your colony protected by a herd of pet velociraptors, now you can.

Its kind of surprise it took so long, really.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I love rimworld modding y'all :allears:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37323.0

For that certain little something that was missing from medieval times mod.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 2, 2017

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Toadsmash posted:

That's one of those mods that runs so wildly counter to the spirit of what makes Rimworld fun for me I never even dreamed of trying it. Hell, I feel bad even using the vanilla reroll button.

Of course, if you're using it to generate a bunch of psychopathic drug addicted cannibals, that's a different story.

Psychopathic cannibals are like the most power-gamey characters you can create though. "Oh no!, I don't have to care about 90% of things that make colonist mood management difficult. How zany!"

What I'm saying is that the true way to make Rimworld cannibal colony is to take bunch of ordinary colonists, make them eat human corpses and then force-feed them enough heroin so they don't care. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

random question but anyone know a mod where you can dispose of bodies by impaling them on spikes outside of your base

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1222844735&searchtext=effigies

Now you too can roleplay a tribe of degenerate cannibals from various horror movies.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeh, there is a huge number of various monster girl mods that are extra creepy, becouse the mod-maker(s) decided for some insane reason that they should count as animals instead of human pawns, so you can tame, train and milk them....

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am using Prepare Carefully to make sure that least 2 of my starting colonists have a decent medicine skill, becouse I am playing with Crashlanding mod and starting with anything less than that is just unreasonable.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

This was literal several of my Rimworld colonies. Wild boars breed fast, train fast, can haul and are surprisingly resilient, so they can serve both as sacrificial war boars and as dedicated, valuable haulers. Every raid will kill shitload of war boars, saving you need to slaughter them, the boars will kill or distract the raiders, preventing damage to your pawns, once the raid is over, the hauling boars will haul human corpses to freezers, so your sensitive, bleeding heart pawns don't have to even look at dead bodies, and once in freezer, the boars will dispose of them in a few days, saving you any headaches with graves, cremation, or having rotting human bodies lying around. Efficiency!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Patch notes posted:

-Trained animal skills and tameness now decay over time. Animals can revert to the wild, depending on their natural wildness.

....Why? :psyduck:

EDIT:

Oh, yeah also:

Patch notes posted:

Mechanoids now always destroy anything they drop (including minigun, which was previously recoverable)
Mechanoids now always die on downed
Removed scyther blade

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 17, 2018

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

Yes it does. I may have convinced Tynan it's important:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36798.msg376948#msg376948

I made a super simple mod called "Shelves not Stools" that adds a path cost to shelves, then you can use them instead. I haven't uploaded it to steam yet, though.

Change for next version of Rimworld that will forbid placing stockpile zones or shelves in 3x3 area around crafting stations confirmed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Two season long Toxic Fallout
Beginning on the 1st day of Spring.
While playing on Boreal Forest with 20 days of growing season.
At the beginning of first year.
With Naked Brutality start.
gently caress off Randy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I had a bunch of my dogs start spontaneously going manhunter and I couldn't figure out why at first, until I realized the trainers were using deep one meat as positive reinforcement, and all of my animals were extremely insane.

Yeah, one tough winter I realized that I didn't have enough food to feed both my huge coop and my colony, but I didn't want to slaughter my extremely productive army of chickens. So I figured that animals can't get mental breaks from insanity and feeling extremely smug, I put all my chickens on diet of simple meals made from Dark Young meat. Fast forward 10 days and my colony almost died, because most of my 50 extremely insane chickens went berserk.

So yeah, don't feed you pets with meals made from eldritch abominations beyond the stars.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Oh hey if you ran into an Antediluvian in your travels how would you go about sucking its soul or taking it home? It's got 80 damage soaking

I did that once. Kite him into daylight until he begins to dig a hole. Melee him with pawn which will usually cancel the "dig a hole" action in favor of self-defense (your pawn will also usually die). Repeat until Antediluvian is downed due to sun exposure, build a roof next to him, park your vampire under it so that he wont get exposure himself and start sucking. If it looks like Antediluvian will die to sun before he is sucked dry, build a roof over him and deconstruct it a few seconds later to make him last a bit longer. Timing is important, because he recovers sunlight exposure extremely quickly and if he recovers enough to stand back up, you are back to square one. After several saves/loads you should be able to suck him dry.

If its night then lol you are hosed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ZearothK posted:

If I want Dinosaurs should I use Dinosauria or Jurassic RimWorld?

Dinosauria - FAR more lightweight, just puts dinos in the wild and that's it. Also while it's subjective, I think Dinosauria dinos look better and fit far better with Rimworld general art-style. Good compatibility with mods, has patches for things like Genetic Rim or animal armours, so you can have armored dinos or horrible mutant dino monsters.
Mildly unbalanced (Dinos have shitton of meat and powerful leather and are extremely powerful when tamed, but they are hard to kill, deadly and incredibly hard to tame. Still, it's not hard to, for example, kite a Brontosaurus to dead with a bunch of pawn with rifles and have enough meat for whole winter.)
Jurassic RimWorld - puts dinos and dozens of others prehistoric animals in the wild and also includes a whole new system where you can grow them in lab, mutate them, etc.. with its own unique resources and workstations, while ALSO providing bunch of extra turrets, walls and other objects, so it has a lot of other stuff besides Dinos. Dinos look good, but I like Dinosauria style more. Due to all that extra stuff compared to Dinosauria, it's far easier for it to cause errors in big modlists and also feels a bit bloated in general. No notable patches with other stuff as far as I know.
Wildly unbalanced (same issues as Dinosauria, but also some of the new additions, like turrets, are overpowered, and due to the whole "grow in the lab" feature, it's far easier to create shitload of tamed Dinos)

I would say go with Dinosauria if you want to just slot dinos somewhere in your modlist and go with Jurassic RimWorld, if you specifically want to turn your colony into Jurassic park and are building your modlist around it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This DLC cover quite a lot of things I thought basic Rimworld lacked and where I used mods to compensate, so I couldn't be happier. My only worry is how deep and the new mechanics are, especially compared to already established and expansive mods like Rimworld of Magic, Rimsenal, etc. that do roughly same thing as some aspects of the DLC (pawn powers, exotic weapons, etc...) and if I can just drop them for DLC, or if I have to wait until someone makes new mods that will expand the DLC mechanics in same way, or until someone integrate those mods for DLC systems. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So one thing that I noticed when I was screwing around in DLC that was barely mentioned in the description and is a pretty big deal (at least for me) is that the DLC significantly increases number and type of vanilla prosthetic. In-fact there is around two dozen new implants (there can be even more that you can get only through quests) that you can research and craft and most of them are pretty exotic. You got things like venom fangs, elbow blades, knee spikes, armored skin (three variants, each giving the pawn progressively more armor, while making him/her more and more ugly), drill arms, beautification implants and aesthetic noses (makes pawn more beautiful), nuclear stomach (pawn got nuclear reactor instead of stomach, so they need almost no food, but also have high risk of developing carcinomas, because again, they have nuclear reactor instead of stomach :v:) and more.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

I'm curious how that will hold up once you get to the point where you've got loving armies coming in.

Even a lot of the super broken Rimworld of Magic bullshit powers outside of the mass AoE stuff stopped being relevant once you reached a certain raid strength because loving over a couple of pawns is irrelevant when they've got 70 guys behind them.

On the other hand, the mass AoE stuff was super broken as well and pretty ubiquitous by the time big raids really got going. "A 70 man raid? Oh nice, maybe my max level Fire Storm won't be a complete overkill for once."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Alpacas are actually pretty useful animals in Rinworld, while cats are absolutely useless. In other words:

Tin Tim posted:

OP eat the cats

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Bears and Thrumbo also get bonded easier than you'd think simply because they are so hard to kill. If they lumber back in busted to poo poo and you have your doctor practice being a vet for the medical XP (and why wouldn't you?), they have a chance of bonding with the animal for every treatment they perform.

The chance is small, but when you're bandaging a dozen wounds at a time it adds up.

Which is why one of the safest methods for taming rare and dangerous animals like Thrumbo (or... T-Rex for example, with mods) is to down it, slowly torture it until it suffers from dozens of small, non-threating wounds, then patch it up, wait until it heals a little and then repeat the process until a bond is formed and it auto-tames. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC you can order drafted pawn to attack any target, so draft your doctor, drop his weapon, then right click on the prisoner and beat him until he is near death, then un-draft your doctor and treat the prisoner. Repeat as needed.

Welcome to Rimworld.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Accidently teleporting into someone's room when taking a shortcut during morning commute and then not being able to get out is an extremely rimworld thing to do. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arrath posted:

Are there still multiple dinosaur mods? Which one do people recommend?

I want a squad of tamed velociraptors :D

Dinosauria if you just want herds of dinos (with art-style that fits Rimworld pretty well) running around with all the other animals and eating your colonists.

Jurassic Rimworld if you specifically want to recreate Jurrasic Park in Rimworld. Adds a lot more things then just dinos (some benches for dino-related genetic engineering, electric fences, anti-dino turrets etc...) and with imho far more clashing art-style. Normal version does not have Dinos in the wild and you have to actually genetically engineer them to get them, but also has a lite version that does basically same thing as Dinosauria and just adds shitloads of dinos running around in the wilds.

Both are slightly unbalanced in the sense that things like Brontosaurs yield (appropriately) absolutely gigantic piles of meat and leather, so a single big dino equals about an entire herd of elks or muffalos while being far easier and faster to hunt. That and of course all the late-game legions of pet cyborg T-Rexes.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Both of them are compatible with A Dog Said. Dinosauria also has a patch for Genetic Rimworld, so you can have horrible thrumbo-dinosaur hybrid monsters for maximum Mad Science.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Asimo posted:

My favorite rimworld experience was doing a rich explorer solo start and proceeding to land about three tiles away from a T-rex. A hungry T-rex. Poor sap didn't even have time to reach their gun before they got eaten. Quickest game ever.

One of my favorite unintended mod interactions involved Dinosauria and Giddy-Up Battle Mounts. The Giddy-Up Battle Mounts mod allows you to ride animals in combat, and also allow raids spawn with some of the pawns riding animals (with tribals having far greater chance of riding animals than pirates) randomly pulled from the biome of your colony . Which is all well and good, but with Dinosauria that includes dinos and like second or third raid after I started the colony was three tribal raiders riding tamed T-Rexes. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ummm....just restrict your pawns to not wear anything under 50% durability? Or under normal quality? Or both? I mean you should be doing that anyways, regardless of existence of gloves/shoes/etc, no? :confused:

Or just forbid wearing gloves in your default outfit so that none of your pawns will wear gloves, if that's the issue for some reason...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

w0o0o0o posted:

Gosh A Rimworld of Magic is rediculous.

One of my colonists is a blood mage, which I thought would be pretty useless to begin with. Turns out the ability to ignite pools of blood into explosive fireballs is actually incredible for base defence and helped me clear out 3 successive 35-man tribal raids within the space of a day (thanks Randy) by turning my trap maze into literal hell. Giving my Technomancer a duplicated minigun is kind of broken too, since half of his shots turn into various magical explosive death-bolts. I'm sure the melee classes decent as well but I've almost exclusively been using the two I have as coup-de-gras monkeys after the dust settles. Mod is incredibly unbalanced but so much fun!

The most fun thing about this post is that Blood Mage and Technomancer are genuinely low to mid-level on the "broken" scale in Rimworld of Magic. Just wait until you get Necromancer, Druid, Priest, Summoner or Geomancer and trivialize huge parts of the game with a single spell. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Leal posted:

There can only be one!

Indeed!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tias posted:

Thanks for your replies. I want to play "Old Rimworld" as in 1.0 and before, where my mods like Religion, Androids, Prepare Carefully, Snap Out! and Pick up and Haul work, but when I run the 1.0 beta (on which these used to work!?) it crashes.

Um all of those mods have a working 1.1 version? Heck, I use like three quarters of them in my Royalty game with no issue...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rimworld 1.2 is out, and it's on a 10% sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvMWicpizU

Gotta say, this is pretty good update. I'm liking everything I'm seeing there. All the stuff added with Royalty is slowly getting turned into core Rimworld features instead of being bunch of unconnected gimmicks, which is exactly what was needed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Katt posted:

A naked colonist once died from a lucky plasma sword to the neck but they were supposed to.

With the option from 1.2, that colonist would have x% chance to survive with 1 neck hp, where the x would be what you set in the slider. It's a good feature.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

I've been using the new psypower Word of Love to play matchmaker. It helps if you have it on multiple casters so you can cast it on both targets for reciprocal opinion boosts during the 9 day duration.

Yeah, the Words of.... are all a really powerful and neat tools that allow you to manipulate social situations of pawns to your benefit. In general a lot of the psycasts introduced in 1.2. are really fun to use and make it worth to maintain a noble or two just for the non-combat benefit. And as a bonus, an idyllic colony where all the peacefulness and harmony between its occupant is maintained by frequent and mandatory mind wipes is pretty much peak Rimworld.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

I still have pawns that get married to some royal clown that only stayed for 7 days or so and never did any work.

As always, mods have solution. :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2028511550&searchtext=long+distance

If you have a pawn with relationship with someone outside of your colony (familial or romantic) this allows you to chat them up through console and either convince them to join your colony, or at least make them hate your pawn and break up.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, raiding? How does that work? Is that a new mechanics introduced in the Vikings mod, or just attacking a settlement, grabbing some stuff when guards aren't looking and then hightailing out of there with minimal fighting? And if it's the latter how viable it is? I never really tried attacking hostile settlements for any reason other than clearing them off the map...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

silentsnack posted:

Send a caravan to any settlement. If they're friendly/neutral you can trade, or if they're hostile you can give them poo poo via "offer tribute" to increase faction rep. Either way you can also just attack them from the worldmap and it generates an encounter.

e: to clarify, there is loot you can steal during the encounter if your goal is to raid for stuff, or if you kill/down 50% of the defenders the base is "destroyed". Generally there's no downside to killing off pirates or savage tribes since you can never befriend them and they're always at war with everyone anyway. But if you just grab some stuff and leave without destroying the base (having one pawn lure everyone away, and being able to teleport/jump both really help) then you can raid the same base again and it'll generate a new map.

Yeah, I know about assaulting bases. But I usually considered it an end-game activity, where you take your power-armoured crack squad, massacre everything on the map and GTFO. It never occurred to me to attack a settlement just to go in there, steal some stuff and run. Which is why I am now wondering how viable doing something like that is in the early game, because it sounds like a fun way to get some extra resources early.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC every undead applies a permanent mana drain as long as it is active, so after you raise several of them the drain will become bigger than the innate mana regeneration and they will die once the Necromancer runs out of mana. Necromancers are still broken as hell though, because the undead pawns are superior to live ones in almost every way while being completely expendable and with a high level Necromancer you can easily maintain like 8-10 of them without any real downside.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Z-mods is a mod that I watch with great interest, but its still something that's several months away from the point where playing with it will become a boon, instead of an annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I had the same issue with throne speech, I didn't discover what mod conflict/bug/issue caused it either and it went away on it's own. :shrug:

I think it's caused by hostiles on the map, because I ran into the issue when I tried to improve mood of my colonists before dealing with activated mechanoid cluster, but I can't remember the exact situation, sorry.