Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I just had a 17 skill doctor with bionic arms and eyes kill a guy while trying to put a pegleg on. How do I modify the surgery failure chance? Is there a mod for it? I guess it was a little too easy before but this is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Beds should really be a number one priority, sleeping outside on the ground is a one way ticket to mental breaks. That said you were screwed either way, it happens. Just have to restart sometimes.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That's a hard thing to judge. I feel like I always end up planting too much. It's so easy when planting, but then the harvest comes and they have to pick it, haul it, then replant and it takes so much longer.

It's all worth it though when you have a pro grower filling up fields at lightspeed while the dogs haul your space weed and space coke to your space sweatshops.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Can colonies be made to be self sustaining?

With trade, yes. Without trade you will not be able to make medicine and could eventually run out of mineable resources like stone and steel, but crops are infinite. You can resettle somewhere else to get a new map full of resources. Good medicine absolutely requires trade though, there's no way to produce neutroamine on your own.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I wish there was a way to manage guns the same way outfits are handled. Unless that already exists and I'm just missing it. Combining that with a toggle to prevent the forbidding of dropped weapons would remove a lot of busywork.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Also, you may already know this but if you want to get rid of unfinished items and clear up the task for someone else to start over you can click on the item and hit cancel to turn it back into its ingredients.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

I'm pretty sure all of your problems are because you're not using manual priorities. Using basic check/no check is what newbies do, bruh. There's even yellow boxes to help you make sure you have your best on their main tasks.

Yeah, no wonder. Nobody is hauling anything because everyone has a different job that's higher priority than hauling. You have to specialize. Not using priorities is a "monkey on a typewriter" kind of approach, stuff will get done if you wait long enough but you could do it in a fraction of the time if you just set each pawn to do one, maybe two jobs.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you put a shooter in the tile right behind a melee user he will never hit him by accident. Only if there's a tile+ gap between them.

Also, the More Vanilla Turrets mod is great. The best one isn't the rocket turret, it's the giant fuckoff chaingun turret that can mow down a basically infinite stream of raiders. I had one take down something like 6 or 7 elephants in a manhunter pack.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I knew I was going to get schooled by Zhentar, but I went for it anyway. I could swear I've seen my guys hit each other two tiles apart when shooting at a distant target, though. How do diagonals work? Would one tile count as two?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

That's a huge amount of effort for 40+ pawns.

Everything is, the game just isn't meant for it right now. Basically in a settlement your size, as long as it's been around with as much wealth as it has, everything is a giant pain in the rear end. Huge raids, hard to manage, nothing works right. It will just keep getting worse because that's the way the game is designed. There is no endgame other than "leave or die".

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

Oh I don't know. Most raids turn after a volley of mortars so that's cool.

I just want to know what level of alcohol consumption is safe.

Though I think the negative effects are a bit overwhelming. The balance for alcohol and smokeweed isn't just against their bonuses. It's against the effort of making them.

I think at the moment they are balanced as if they shower up out of thin air. But pawns have to spend a lot of effort making them even before consumption.

Well, the problem is the frequency. Once every 3-4 days is fine. I've never had a guy get cirrhosis, asthma, or lung cancer unless they had a chemical fascination. They just need a nice big fancy dining room and rec room, plus a decent bedroom and overall clean surroundings. That keeps mood from being an issue so they don't hit up the drugs until someone dies or something.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's all kinds of good recommendations for quality of life mods and stuff, but are there any other good mods that really mix up gameplay? Preferably in some weird way like the cult mod. Like bug taming. Or mechanoid taming. Wanna make tame bug/mechanoid fighting pits. It looks like there's some magic mod but it's just focused on combat which is kind of lame.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I've never used the dev console. Could you, say, spawn a raid, infestation and mechanoids all at once? Oh, and a boomalope manhunter pack. That would be fun.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

cugel posted:

That's hilarious. I've made a little joke mod: training mittens, gains more XP by crafting with those on...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8t5g1DrFJltVng1djlSVm1XdUk

The new Rimworld sweatshop: a bunch of guys outside in tropical heat, wearing parkas and mittens, desperately trying to stitch human leather dusters by hand while stoned out of their minds.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Aren't we already at the middle ground? If you want something that's not in the game you can just mod it in. The timescale stuff might be tricky but there's probably a way.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Surprise, many of Tynan's ideas about what makes a good game are actually really terrible. On the plus side he's exposed pretty much everything to be overridden by mods :shrug:

I actually kind of like needing janitors and busy work. Having my colonists be slightly dumb feels somewhat realistic, although it goes overboard sometimes. I wish "no hauling" was something that made sense even slightly, like "no hauling heavy objects". Not being willing to lift a finger to bring crops in from the field when your life literally depends on it is a bit much. Same for cleaning, maybe they do a lovely job and won't clean much but at least clean the massive blood pool up off the floor please.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Are there any mods that nerf solar flares without removing them? I found one for a shield, but I was hoping for a change to the event itself. For instance if it only shut down power generation, so you could just have batteries for your hydroponics and other critical things. Something like that.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Rimworld: Tynan is being very arrogant and stupid

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I do prefer his sales tactics to the usual indie cycle of promising everything, making loads of money and then giving up. Also allowing mods was very cool and good.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Restrict them to the crafting room, put beds and a joy source in there and have meals brought in. They can leave when their jobs are done :colbert:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Can colonists who are incapable of violence still go berserk? If so do they actually fight or just get mercilessly beat down by the first person they encounter? The EPOE talk reminded me of when I put an AI persona core in someone's brain and they kept having random berserk rages, I wonder if a pacifist would skip that drawback.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Luciferium buffs consciousness, so it's still an all-around benefit... until you run out.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I regret not screenshotting the time a slaver named White came to town.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You don't have to order a harvest of crops, it happens automatically once they hit 100%.

e: unless I'm misreading and you mean a natural field of berries or something, in which case yeah that's the way

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Pathfinding in this game in general is really weird. I tried setting up a road through the jungle once and my builders kept walking the whole way out to the end through the tall grass with a fully built road one tile away the whole time. It was as if travel time wasn't even part of the algorithm, or pawns were reserving their whole path and only one person would use the road at a time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

az posted:

What was the name of the mod that let's you designate no go zones for your pawns to stop them pathing through hazards?

Path Avoid?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835555932

Spreading blight sounds pretty sweet. I wonder what the weather will be? We already have most of the normal stuff, maybe stronger storms or hail or something. Or crazy scifi weather like a hungry nanite storm or something would be fun.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I really like the Centralized Climate Control mod, you can set up a single HVAC system for the whole base controlled from one room. It makes freezers more efficient since it uses wall vents instead of needing to compromise your insulation with coolers, and it handles heating and cooling simultaneously for the rest. You can change connections on the fly so if you interconnect all the vents, any room in the base can become a freezer at a moment's notice or vice versa. The best part, of course, is that it looks pretty and you don't have to ruin your beautiful spergy base with unsightly coolers, heaters and vents any more.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

How do you prevent sleeping sickness? All I can do is treat it, and that takes like a whole month.

Pretty sure that's prevented by penoxycyline along with malaria and some other stuff.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

For awhile the easiest way to kill a thrumbo was drop a bunch of beer next to them, build walls then come back to pick the fur and horn out of a pile of death and vomit.

Emergent Gameplay™

It seems like regardless it would take a long time and a ton of beer/weed to kill someone. Wasting luciferium also seems silly though, why not just pull out their critical organs or euthanize them?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Is enhanced hearing useful for anything at all? I have been assuming not but I still give my dudes robot ears because it's the future, dammit!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

Yes but if they die while being too drunk and stoned to even notice it then the vitae harvest will be useless.

Did you ever try the cult mod? Seems like a base full of cannibal psychopaths sacrificing to their dark gods would be right up your alley.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

botany posted:

how do i clear people from a job? i have a tailoring station where my main researcher has reserved all the shirts for herself, but i'm not exactly going to leave her off research duty to do a job my tailor can do much better. how do i clear the job list? thanks

The vanilla way of handling this was already covered, but the Better Workbench Management mod is useful for assigning jobs to specific pawns, among other things. It's very handy.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I usually end up harvesting replacement noses from prisoners, I think EPOE lets you do it. Not ears though for some reason, maybe because you can make bionic ears. They're kind of pointless though since as far as I can tell enhanced hearing doesn't improve anything.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's whatever the research tree mod is, I can't check right now but whoever made it somehow screwed it up so that brewing just doesn't show up.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Time is all that matters. Ten years is a really long time. I'm at less than two years in my current save and I have 13 guys, I've probably passed up 3 or 4 recruitment events. Between slaves, captures and events it's pretty easy to get to 30 in ten years. Even if you only have a 1% chance to recruit somebody you've got a pretty good chance eventually when you can hit them up once (twice?) a day for months on end. You don't need mods to do it, and the only couple times I've reloaded were total colony wipes in the first year. It's just not as hard or inexplicable as you're making it out to be.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

even your example here has so many conditionals I think it actually is

i mean I've played no less of this game than anyone else here and im the one who just finishes games and gets it over with. it is why I always talk about the lower labor solutions that anyone can manage. having finished dozens of games 10 colonists in 2 years is exceedingly rare and a 1% chance to recruit becomes an unexpected positive surprise at that level for most prisoners. it is usually a fraction of a percent at that point without an exceptionally skilled warden.

i mean this isn't even meant to say anything about anyone it's just to point out that these massive colonies with humongous vaults are just not normal or usual and it surprises me that pretty much all screenshots shared in this thread include both.

But... I don't have any conditionals in there? Unless you count reloading due to total failure. I just played a normal game, I have a few mods like EPOE and cultist but if anything cultist has decreased my population due to sacrifices. I don't really pay attention to recruitment percentages so you're probably right that it's fractional, but it happens eventually. I guess cult helps my warden's social skill, so that could play into it, but the recruiting chance still sucks. In my own personal experience (most of which was 100% vanilla), my population right now is pretty normal. I like to keep it a little less than that usually because feeding everyone properly gets to be a pain. The megaforts are definitely unusual but all it takes is time. Probably the reason they make up the bulk of the screenshots is because screenshots of normal stuff are boring, so they don't get posted.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

IF you get the events, IF you get the prisoners, IF they are recruitable in a practical sense, IF you get the slavers (also, slave merchants are progressively less likely to carry colonists the further over the soft cap you are), there's a hundred and one conditions in your scenario here and you don't even seem to be aware of them. a fractional percentage means you need 200+ recruit attempts to get a success and he imposed cooldown on attempts means that this will take literal years, statistically. "It happens eventually" does not jive with the numbers here, which is the point. these games are serious anomalies and it consistently surprises me that this is what gets passed around.

Don't really know what to tell you I guess, other than that I'm well aware how the game works. It's been very easy in my experience once I mastered the basics and the fact that these games exist is proof that it's possible. They're outside the norm, sure, but only because they're super long running games. Have you ever tried it?

e:

Eltoasto posted:

If i want to challenge myself a bit and move on from temperate and boreal, do you guys prefer arid shrubland or tundra? Not sure I would enjoy straight desert or ice sheet since I like to have animals.

I like shrubland and rainforest maps a lot but tundra is more challenging IMO. Depends what you're going for but I've been doing tribal starts in rainforests lately and it's pretty fun.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 8, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I build a stone room around it with a stone door, that has worked fine so far. Nothing flammable means no fires.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You could try putting down a stockpile and filtering it to just charge rifles, critical priority. Should work unless it's forbidden for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can make regular old turrets out of plasteel in the vanilla game, same as choosing a material for anything else. They have a ton of HP.