Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ghostlight posted:

I disagree, and offer this as evidence.

Some of my favorites:

edit, this one is also really funny to me:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Hurf durf I too cannot separate politics from practicality nor can I imagine it in the mind of another

You don't deserve an explanation on a plate but I think it's only fair to let you know that you do not understand the economics of intellectual property, nor that an artists approach to monetising their talent - and the related politics - may change over a long period of time. Feel free to pretend that I've bolded some words here for shrill emphasis

The state of copyright when it comes to entertainment media is pretty hosed up. You could be the guy who cures cancer and your patents will have expired within your lifetime, meanwhile some corporation or descendants of some artist can still be raking in money a century after the original song was released and the singer is long dead.

I also quite like paleys comics, I get the impression she's mocking herself mostly and does it with a certain amount of self-awareness. And hey there actually are too many humans on the planet, doesn't mean we shouldn't go extinct (i'm a parent of several children after all), but it's maybe the most serious environmental issue out there, the root cause of almost all other environmental issues, it's actually quite serious. I also enjoy that she's a bit hosed in the head sometimes. Nice to see people who aren't perfect, if we look at the the thread these are the people sparking the most enthusiastic discussions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TofuDiva posted:

Ed's disconnect from reality is showing again. In the urban east coast area of the US where I live (not NYC), a one bedroom apartment is about 550-650 square feet, which is still pretty fine for multiple people. Oh, and if it's in a not horrible area and is near a bus line, it'll cost ya somewhere above US $1750/month plus utilities.

[Edit to add about roommates.]

Guess this comes from living in the frozen north where space is plentiful and all that but multiple people in a one bedroom apartment that size and that price sounds like my idea of hell, the -22C weather suddenly doesn't feel that cold, it could plainly, be worse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This thread reminds me, we selected the wallpaper for our new house recently and I got moomin wallpapers for m- the kids (not my kids in picture, just a product image):

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

shmee posted:

I too have taken advantage of being a new father to decorate my son with quality togs. For him, of course.

Looking at the website, they have another one I could get:

If I could get this on a shirt for me I totally would. Seems that Moomin clothes are the domain of women and babies only though :negative:

I want a black t-shirt with stinky on it for me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Roland Jones posted:

Luann ...stupidest way possible...terrible.

There, summed up Luann for everyone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tiggum posted:

"Brown bread" obviously means something different here to the definition I'm used to, which is just wholemeal bread. Is this an American thing, or a 100 years ago thing or what? And what does "brown bread" actually refer to here? Rye bread? Does "white bread" mean any wheat bread, whether it's made of wholemeal or white flour?

In the past, white bread was considered a luxury (since it discards so much of the wheat and requires more processing and sifting, and then it's bleached too) and white fluffy bread wasn't what most people used, they used whole meal flour and the resulting bread was darker and denser, and healthier but back in those days they didn't know that and white probably equaled healthy in most peoples minds.

About a century ago was about when typical white flour was becoming affordable for your average folks I believe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Laputanmachine posted:

gently caress you, freshly baked rye bread is the most delicious thing.

Came to post this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

LvK posted:

Wait... That wasn't just, like, a basic life skill back then?

What do you mean, back then? :raise:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

7thBatallion posted:

You stupid worthless goddamn piece of poo poo, you order a tall in the next size up. It gives you room for cream and is the same price. I hope you die in a fire you miserable goddamn gently caress. You're the type of person that makes baristas hate their job. Next thing you'll be ordering a loving iced mocha with 10 pumps of mocha, 5 of hazelnut and EXACTLY 10 GODDAMN ICE CUBES. AND YOU'LL RETURN IT IF THERE IS ANY loving MORE OR LESS.

I was just thinking, is it a bad deal to pay the same for less coffee if cream is added? I just got this hunch that cream might be more expensive per volume than coffee. So he's not actually being stiffed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

He's reciting the card.

Those fuckers seriously do this though. A couple months back I heard the mail slot clang, went to the door, saw the notice and opened the door. Nobody in the hallway. Took about 15 seconds altogether. Went for my shoes, looked around in the building and outside, nothing. I think they just loving ran away.

The solution here is to go on a murderous rampa- wait I mean keep the radio on loudly so they here that someone is home as they walk up to the door.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

don Jaime posted:

Lio is still getting assed by his cat. Saturday should end with his neutering.

Later in the day the cat died from an illness that the vet could have cured.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It didn't happen to me that often and I used to live on the 4th floor in a building without an elevator. Now that I am becoming a home owner I am looking into getting a bigass mailbox that can take giant packages.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

This is a variant of a joke from one week ago. Actually, pretty much all making GBS threads on Dustin strips are variants of the same joke.

Just stop joking around Ed, tell us how you really feel.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

The art in this is so lovely. Like someone said earlier it's so loving static. You don't get the impression of movement or action at all, and that last panel looks like she's only resting his hands on his shoulders or something rather than trying to strangle him. God, the artist, whoever you are, don't you got any loving shame putting out poo poo like this? At least reply-all means for it to look like poo poo, do you?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SubNat posted:

Moomin Builds a House

A bird did this at our summer cottage. The eggs popped in the nest from the heat, we heard it from inside.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

Because it's the economical and thus most boring option. There's a direct correlation between the two.

I bought whipped cream in a can once, it was actually kinda poo poo quality wise. Seems like one of those wasteful things only americans do to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope this ends with the reporter waking up in her bed going "what a weird dream" and in the last panel there's the faintest outline of a skull on her cheek, an "or was it" caption and an insert of Phantom grinning impishly, raising his finger to his lips and winking at the reader.

if by cheek you mean rear end cheek*.

* For the ghost who cheats.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What is sex powder? Cocaine?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

I was going to guess they were somehow guilty because the woman was wearing high heels inside her home.

Fok_It

Seriously. Who would choose almond?

They did a poll and the majority did. I have no real preference, except that I think runeberg tarts are way better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Julet Esqu posted:

Greg, you will never convince us that Rosa can't do better than Gunther.

Dying alone and childless after a bitter life as a spinster is better than Gunther.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

A year later Ed died from liver cirrohsis brought on by decades of excessive drinking. Good riddance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tiggum posted:

How do you get your prescriptions? Because that's exactly what happened the last time I needed one.

When I get medications for my children I just show their KELA cards (national health insurance card) to the apothecary clerk and their prescriptions are stored online in a global database that they can access with their social security number.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

"Man, being in the upper quintile of income earners sucks! Look at all the taxes we have to pay!"

Hey rich people, don't like taxes, we got this great remedy for that they invented in France in the 1790s...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Looks like reality's bleeding over into chief dharma, I don't like it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You loving idiots.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Writer/artist is a secret republican.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wow, way to force your own thoughts and desires onto him. Maybe it wouldn't be much money, but you ever think he'd be happier as a garbage man? NO, YOU HAVEN'T! Besides, kid could go to college and be a Sanitation engineer. Probably good money designing waste systems.

But hell, you ain't NOTHING if you aren't a doctor or a lawyer. Just filth.

At least a garbage man does something of value to society, unlike a lawyer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

- On the freeway I stepped on the gas, fleeing from almost 200 cops!
- I didn't even know there were that many cops here

This one was pretty good but too bad it doesn't work in English at all. The pun is in lähes kahtasataa, "almost two hundred". When you mention that in the context of driving, the immediate assumption is that you were driving at "almost 200 km/h". Obviously (or maybe I should say usually) an exaggeration, but the point is that you were driving really fast. The sentence was constructed so that the "almost 200" could refer to either that or the amount of cops.

I dunno if you can say it like this, sorta stilted

Man I was going real fast on the highway, counted almost 200.
Didn't even know we had that many cops here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

All I could see

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Julet Esqu posted:

In this week's Luann, Greg suddenly remembers that Quill isn't Gunther! :aaa:

So I guess they've been having trouble and Luann's been unhappy for the last five months. It would have been cool for Greg to show us that instead of good times at the wacky prom, because this makes Luann look like a totally unreasonable bitch. (Not that I'm ruling out the idea that Luann is a totally unreasonable bitch.)

C'mon, we've seen earlier strips with this kind of behaviour. Why Quill is supposed to like someone who acts like this is utterly beyond me. Maybe he has severe self esteem and other mental issues? Makes Gunther look functional.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This is legit great.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Hope you don't have any job where you need to multitask then.

If you do a job that involves programming it can sometimes take a half the day to properly get into "the zone" where you are real productive and got the whole project loaded into your working memory so to speak, so you can get a nice complete picture of what you're working on, all the kinks and problems and to do lists.

Then someone comes right a long and needs you to help them because outlook froze or some poo poo like that. Or you need to do some trivial and boring office work, usually in MS office. Totally ruins everything you worked to accomplish and you won't get up to the same productivity again today.

I guess your job is not challenging and just rote office work then you can multitask fine as long as you got a nice system to keep all the reminders going off in time, so you don't forget stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

- I think that gentleman is eyeing you up

Literally the phrase is "looking at you with 'that eye'". The rear end in a top hat is sometimes called the rear end eye in Finnish.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty terrifying

Also called the brown eye here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

Fok_It

This strip used a Finnish nickname for long underwear, tykit, meaning "cannons". Maybe this is some kind of weird gun commentary, but sometimes an absurd joke is just an absurd joke.

Sounds like my grandfather, walked around in long johns year round, I dunno how he managed summers given he was a milk farmer and doing heavy physical labour.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

Rai rai rai is... I guess I should call it drunken singing. It's like "la la la" but manlier.

Perhaps like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsCLHyRO-Y

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tiistai posted:

More or less, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18q84k5a3kA works too. Even if that's actually lai lala lai.

How annoying, just noticed SA cut out my time stamp from the youtube link so it was like 5 minutes off from where I was meaning to link it. gently caress you whoever made this code.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Here's an actual room in our hose, moomin gently caress yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ema Nymton posted:

Nice! :) Did you do that, or was it that way when you got there?

We're building a house ATM, so we selected those wallpapers for the kids room, there's another room with the same wallpaper but green instead.

• Locked thread