Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Haha, drat. I have the Hi and Lois saved somewhere.

As far as Moomin, I think one page a day is fine. It doesn't have too many strips and I don't think it'd be a problem taking a while to get through the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

You can see through her hair in panel 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

So, right now it's reruns with some new material added? Because he's a lazy sack of poo poo? And his added stuff is cutting into the reruns making it even more confusing? Who the gently caress are the guys in the first two panels? What do they have to do with anything? I don't remember them before, were their reruns skipped over? gently caress you, Brooke.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

That top one was already posted.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

His shirt hanging off his shoulder is pissing me off. It looks loving stupid (especially with the stupid loving red smears that are supposed to be his blood).

Edit: Also, what the gently caress is going on? He told a medic to ignore him so he could stagger off, bleeding profusely, to pester some lady at her home? Is she living right on the beaches of Normandy? Did he wander miles behind enemy lines to find some place populated? Is he even in Europe still?

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 12, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Edit: I have a 9CL question. What's more likely: that the GI will have actually survived the war and he'll get reintroduced to the comic as an old man starting a love triangle between centenarians OR that the GI will get sent to a concentration camp?

I think he's what's her name's father, except he's not actual her father because Grandma hosed/fell in love with a Nazi. But I think he raised her, but was a bitter person because he knew she wasn't his daughter? I think. I don't know, I think last thread or tow threads ago somebody started posting this storyline, but stopped at some point (because it was terrible the first time, it was terrible when it was being reposted, and it's still terrible know in these reruns).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

What is going on here?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, my grandma used to live in Colorado back in the '70's. When she was there, there was a comic that she read in the newspaper, The Great Atomic Aftermath and Fresh Fruit Festival. It was by James Schumeister. She spent years trying to remember it, she once had all or almost all of them saved, cut out from the newspaper, but my grandad threw it out at some point. Today she did a quick search and saw a couple links, and found some prints on eBay, but I think it'd be nice to find a good collection of them for her. She lived in the Denver area, does anybody have a collection, or any idea how to find them?

Also, drat, Prince Valiant is awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Humanoid Female posted:

I looked this up and it doesn't seem to have been a local Colorado comic - a few links I found said it was syndicated through the Los Angeles Times so it probably appeared in a lot of newspapers. I couldn't find any reference to there ever being a collection published. The best you might be able to do, apart from those few random prints on eBay, is to nail down a specific newspaper it appeared in, and go to a library that has back issues of that newspaper on microfilm (I know the Denver Public Library has every issue of the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News, so I assume other major libraries might do the same for their city's main newspapers) and print out a bunch yourself.

What would be a good way to find where it was published? My grandma can't remember what newspaper it was in, but she's certain it was a smaller paper, she was thinking a college paper.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Tune in tomorrow for the Gruesome Twosome vs. Chloe the Elephant in the finale!

Haha, holy poo poo. This is the first story I've followed, this is a fantastic one to start with.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Awesome. :allears: You don't get very much murderous elephant rampages in the funny pages these days.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Moto Punch posted:

I saw on Facebook that Morrie Turner has passed away :(

What a lovely loving way to start the week. :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I love this comic but half the time I have no idea what's going on. I'm not certain if that's part of the appeal or not.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Oh hey, Heavenly Nostrils shoutout. Neat. Now should I be thumbnailing this? It is large, but vertically so instead of horizontally.

Also the thing in the lower left has Poncho form Pooch Cafe on his tie. I also don't mind it not being thumbnailed, as you noted, it's vertical.

Man, Morrie Turner was awesome.

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 1, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

sweetguts posted:

retail and dustin both exist in this weird symbiotic relationship of awful human beings. on the one hand, if all shoppers were half as annoying as they are in dustin, the shittiness of the employees in retail would be somewhat excusable. on the other, if employees in the real world were as smug and patronizing as they are in retail, the whining in dustin would be justified.

instead both strips are just full of jerks being jerks to people who are just trying to get through their day and I wish I didn't read either of them but for some reason I just have to and I hate it. I could have wasted that 30 seconds of reading on something fun. I could have lost at a game of candy crush in that time. Instead, I read Dustin, then I wrote this post about it. God drat it.

Didn't Ed show up in Retail?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm more vexed about celebrating Arthur driving the Angles back from England.

The dude is Welsh. The terminology is bit funky, true, but the concept sound. (I've never read Le Morte d'Arthur, just the stories in the Mabinogion)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

This whole bit about George Herriman is both fascinating and super depressing.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

Speaking of depressing...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

The way that everybody looks the same in this comic, I'm just going to go ahead and pretend that this is a brand new character and not some bad attempt at a plot twist.

Wait, what? What the gently caress? So the Nazi was an American spy? And the lady is a Nazi spy? And this is all running parallel to the 'Grandma fucks a Nazi' story still, right? The guy who thinks he's in a movie with legs is the other guy who wants to gently caress Grandma and will be pissed she hosed the Nazi later? And this all started with a grave marker in France that had this guy's name on it, despite that fact that he's still alive? Wait, didn't he storm the beaches and go missing? How did he end up this far into enemy territory? Argh, this comic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

It's three days a week, but look what's back.

Ooh, nice to see it back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

La Cucaracha

I assume the person who does this is Latino, so why do I feel offended whenever I see it (beyond it being offensively bad)?

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

On the other hand, I do love this comic.

Edit: vv I am really liking it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 6, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Strap in, everybody, because 2010 Spidey is finally done with the setup and we can finally get this show on the road! :neckbeard:

Oh my God, please tell me this is going where I think it's going. :allears:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Well...that's a good point. Good for you, Dag.

Having been raised Orthodox, my very first thought is confusion over Protestants apparently not observing Lent.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This comic is loving stupid. It makes me wish there was something bland and unoffensive between Lost Side of Suburbia and his so the whiplash isn't so bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The Pajama Diaries

OK, I guess Libenson does know what sexting is. That last strip still doesn't make sense though. The principal caught Lindsay and Jonah sexting in the boiler room. Were they both standing in the same room sending pictures to each other? Why?

It's like those Zits where Jeremy and his girlfriend are texting each other while they're sitting in the same chair or whatever. Except with nudity, I guess (well, barring Axemaniac edits, I suppose).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Darthemed posted:

This can't possibly be the 'Noodle Incident'.

When I was a kid I figured that this was the Noodle Incident, to the point where I was surprised to learn people wondered what the Noodle Incident was. It just seemed so obvious.

Edit: Also, that Prince Valiant is pretty drat grim. "Here is Prince Valiant having awesome adventures and being awesome. Here he is confronted with the spectre of time and the knowledge that all shall fall to it, shall be ground into dust and forgotten, and there is no stopping it, no matter how brave or strong you are. Now here he is on another adventure!"

catlord fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 11, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Gotta say I like all the customer service clerks in Dustin a lot more than the ones in Retail.

It's so wonderful when Ed gets owned. Especially when it's by people he shits on.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

2010 Spidey

Yessss, this is awesome.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Is Sprocket going to drive them into the lake out of spite? Because I could see it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Haha, she totally did it out of spite, I called it!

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Here's to another 10 years! :)

On the Fastrack started in 1984? Jesus, I expected it to be like, maybe 15 at most.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

I know I should have known, but I had to check to make sure there wasn't a weird-rear end Dustin reference in Mary Worth. Can never be too sure these days.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

God drat it all Gilchrist.

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, Brother

Bud, it's not nice to make fun of the ghouls. It's not their fault the radiation didn't kill them.

GorfZaplen posted:

Another early Classic Prince Valiant

"By Zeus"? :crossarms:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

You're right, he should have said 'Jupiter.' Val would have been a sub-Roman Celt, and as such would have followed Druid rituals while paying lip service to Roman gods.

I dunno, Thule is generally associated with the far north, Scandinavia and the like. Didn't the first couple strips indicate that Val's father came to the British Isles from across the sea?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Both of these own so much. :allears:

They don't look familiar though - is there Junji Ito I haven't read? Because if so, I need to remedy that immediately.

Yeah, that's Junji Ito's Hellstar Remina. Which is really loving weird.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Junji Ito made something that's really loving weird? You don't say!!!

(I hadn't read that one, thanks)

e: still not as great as his cat diaries though

Well, I mean it starts Ito weird and then it gets absurd. And yes, Cat Diaries is hilarious.

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

O'Mara you SOB. :ohdear:

Holy poo poo I'm so glad I started reading this comic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Huh. Never heard of it. Was it any good?

E: Christ, I just saw "pyschological". Copy editors? gently caress 'em.

I thought it was good, but holy poo poo, not something I ever expected to see referenced, especially not in this thread. :stare:

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Also in the 'holy poo poo' category for today, I did not expect to see a dude get loving stabbed to death.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

No dude, it's "on your father, John Darling". Get the catchphrases right.

Why is Funky Winkerbean so terrible? Jesus. Bathos leaking from every orifice, "John Darling John Darling John Darling," "cancercancercancer," even the comics poo poo. People in BSS shouldn't be sick of someone talking about comics, but he makes it so loving insufferable.

Also, just going to note, John Darling ended the year I was born. Does anybody who read comics back then still read this poo poo? And of those who do, who loving cares?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh my God, look at that face in panel 2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mike du Jour[/b]

gently caress off, Mike. Nothing about you, or your comic is good. Reply All is better in every single way.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Just to let you off the hook: Yes he did, and considering all the comic book Sundays he throws at us, it is most definitely the type of reference he'd drop. Not a clue if it actually fits the character, though.

There is no loving way a reference to Ego the Living Planet fits any character. Maybe that biker comic store owner, but nobody else. gently caress off Batiuk, don't you drag Ego the Living Planet into this poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

So, this is the beginning of Tommie's descent into madness?

"What's that Lily? Human flesh? Sure, just let me turn the car around!"

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

You have Phantom twice.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Candorville :biotruths:

Why do you guys like this rear end in a top hat again?

He's the only guy who's occasionally funny in this lovely strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Has anyone ever had a kinder word to say about Candorville than "Clyde is the least poo poo part of it"?

Never. Remember the Trayvon Martin strips? Christ those were bad.

• Locked thread