Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Ohh, I like all the fan DBZ stuff in the first post. Gotta take a look later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

OP shouldn't it be over 9000 times?

Clearly your power level isn't high enough XD

It was supposed to be 8000 but for some reason was translated as 9000

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Well, "eight" is "hachi" and "nine" is "kyu". I don't see how lip flap sync would be the difference here.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

To be honest I always found Super Saiyan 2 to be kind of underwhelming. It's hard to tell the difference between the two, and it's basically "wow Gohan is suddenly a lot stronger than he was before!".

And this is why SS3 was invented haha

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

There is also the point he made of, well if I kill Buu now, I'm still dead and will be back in the spirit world in less than 24 hours, Vegeta is gone, Gohan is gone, so these kids like it or not would be the future hope of the world. Let the living defend the living world. For someone who is always craving a good fight, it's an interesting take. Something changed with him during those 7 years.

Besides, it's not like Goku is 100% certain he'd be able to beat Buu by himself. Even later on when he really tried, Goku needed Vegeta to buy the time to build up full power (which failed but that's meta-knowledge).

But fusion gives such a huge boost that it would certainly exceed even his SSJ3 power. I don't think Goku could have predict how goofy Gotenks would be.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Kild posted:

Didn't the Kienzen not work on Cell?

Only in the anime.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Seemed reasonable to me. Goku tried his absolute best using a single-shot trick and it failed to finish Perfect Cell. Even with a Sensu he still doesn't have enough to beat Perfect Cell straight up (unless he can think up another trick where he can unload his full power at an undodging Perfect Cell).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Didn't Krillin kill 4 Saibamen at once?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

surf rock posted:

I don't know, Vegeta gets some pretty good hits in. He loses, yeah, but according to the Official DBZ Power Level Rules, he wouldn't even be able to scratch her if the gap in their powers were huge.

And the moment 18 got serious, she basically manhandles Vegeta. She was basically playing around up to the point where she decides to go and break Vegeta's arm (and then his other arm).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell If I remember correctly he spends less time with them over the series then without them. He is a huge douche.

You do not remember correctly. It was literally listed out good grief.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Considering they have dragonballs to revive him anyway, Goku should be doing that to OHKO every bad guy in the first place.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Plus he had Kami in him being all smart.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Within the manga itself, was SSJ3 ever useful? Even with Gotenks, he ended up failing to defeat Buu.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

He wasn't even the strongest character in the show, that was his master.

For that matter, he might not even be stronger than the archenemies he defeated.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

My biggest problem with the Death Battle was that Superman was ready and willing to blow up the loving PLANET at the end. He presumably had to know the consequences of attacking Goku like that would be, and "Man of Steel" jokes aside (I love that loving movie and will defend it forever), he never would have taken that route. I think he would have allowed himself to die before blowing up the planet. And I know the whole point is that it is a "death" battle, but THAT is a Superman "weakness" that was not explored- putting the lives of others before his own.

Of course Supes was allowed to go blow up the planet but we don't let Goku blow up the solar system and then teleport somewhere else.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Blue Star posted:

I know wuxia has been a thing for centuries, but I'm talking about things like glowing blue/yellow energy beams that characters shoot from their hands and what-not. It seems weirdly modern. This isn't some pressing mystery that I want answered immediately; it's just interesting.

Ki is part of Chinese wuxia for a long time. The modern codifier is Jin Yong and in one of his stories, there's a martial art that basically lets you use ki like a lightsaber but from six fingers at a once.

This was serialized from 1963 to 1966 so it's a pretty old story element.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Gohan, for all of his smarts, is still kind of a dumb hick when it comes to socializing with others. He was raised in the woods by a monkey alien and a woman who lived in the mountains before she moved to the woods.

Him having no idea how strong normal people are was hysterical. Reminds me of that Superman "world of cardboard" thing.

To Gohan, a weakling would be Yamcha who's really a superhuman in any fair assessment.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Piccolo vs 17 is one of my favourite fights in DBZ

Same here, it's was a brutally close matchup and it showed.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yeah Janemba is a super cool villain just because of how neat he fights. I'd watch an entire arc about him.

Goku's SS3 fight against Janemba was really tight too. It actually made SS3 seem really powerful. I had always thought little of SS3 until this fight (mostly because I sort of felt it was just flash in DBZ).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

If the voice of a strange man suddenly echoed through the collective consciousness of humanity, telling them to raise their hands and give their energy, how many would do it?

And when your buddy beside you did it, he immediately became exhausted and drained of energy.

Then another angry strange man started screaming at you telepathically "Why Aren't You Raising Your Hands?"?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

sharktamer posted:

If Gohan hasn't been training how is he still ripped to poo poo?

Also, Gotenks exploded Buu, him and Piccolo burned all of the remnants and Buu still reformed. So even if they didn't manage to kill him, they learned more about how he works and what's not gonna fly when trying to destroy him. So everyone better stop calling Gotenks useless now or risk looking the FOOL.

Yeah, considering what they did to try to "check for a pulse", Gotenks should really have won.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That spoiler actually sounds pretty reasonable. My only hope is that they choreograph the fights better than in BoG.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I thought that it's kinda fun that the big bad of this movie wasn't an unstoppable force in any way at all after all. And that a non-super saiyan Goku can now clown Freeza 4th form

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Nice pun.

I don't mind this movie, but It falls victim to the old dbz movie problem of "why doesn't goku just use _____ at the beginning of the fight"

He does? It's not like Freeza was a real threat it turns out once Goku teleports in

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

huh? I'm talking about the first cooler movie where goku doesn't turn super sayian until after he gets his rear end kicked by Coolers 5th form.

Oh, sorry I thought we were talking about F.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

Super Cyan. :buddy:

Spectacular.

I do think that it looks a lot better in drawing that in the figures. I hope it'll look even better animated. 20 years since I watching DBZ and I'm still a sucker for new forms.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

You are a weird contrarian. People aren't saying these things are good for nothing, but I guess you could just spend your entire life just watching DBZ, Bleach and Naruto over and over.

Indeed. If you're not willing to take suggestions to step out of your box to try things people have discovered are good, then you really have little right to complain that the box you've confined yourself in sucks.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Or maybe I don't really care to see Madoka or Attack on Titan all that much and they're not for me and don't interest me, maybe it's just that, I dunno. I take suggestions and go outside my comfort zone a lot, I iust don't have the time to watch literally everything there is or any desire to. Also I watch other things than anime.

But if you think I'm a weird contrarian for not being interested in Madoka Magica or Attack on Titan, then okay, you are entitled to your wrong opinion
Nope, if you haven't actually seen any of it, you can't say it doesn't interest you, only that the description doesn't. It's also hardly "watch literally anything" when it's probably the top rated of their respective years.

It's not like I've even watched Attack On Titan myself here (although I may in the future). I'm pointing out that if you're saying things like "I won't watch My Little Pony out of principle" (and I haven't watched this either) then you don't really have the right to say things like:

quote:

Also I think Dragon Ball, One Piece, Jojo's and Fist of the North Star are like the only good Shonen series
<snip>
Basically a good rule to have is that the only good animes are about giant robots or giant ripped dudes screaming and punching poo poo and shows about little high school girls or guys in weird outfits and giant swords are bad

You've basically made a claim that shows with "little high school girls" sucks without actually having watched any of the ones considered good! This is the definition of "wrong"

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

I've always liked that, too. He does keep yelling about being stronger and stronger during the first movie. Who the gently caress knows what happened when Gohan was able to beast him solo in the second movie, though, unless Broly had de-powered a bit in the interim.. I can't imagine Gohan was any stronger then than the first time they fought, and he certainly didn't have a numbers advantage.

I thought Gohan was only SS1 in the first movie and had SS2 in the second?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

New Leaf posted:

I can't imagine SS1-SS2 is THAT big of a jump

What? SS1 to SS2 really is THAT big of a jump. We had those Cell Jr's who were beating up all of the remaining Z-fighters getting completely wiped out effortlessly by Gohan remember? And a Perfect Cell who could take on every other Z-fighter by himself completely punked by SS2 Gohan as well. The jump is enormous.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Just been rereading my manga copies of the end of the Piccolo/start of the Saiyan Saga and, aside from weird dumb translation choices and Piccolo's bizarre speech patterns, the weirdest thing is just how quickly the transition from "Dragonball" to "Dragonball Z" material is. One chapter everyone is happy because Goku has beaten Piccolo, he flies off vowing revenge and Goku turns down becoming God to fly off to celebrate his new marriage. Then, next loving page, it's Raditz's space pod crashing down to Earth. It's a real shame that the anime became the stereotypical drawn out anime, because god drat the manga's pacing is loving lightning fast, so good.

Goku actually says he needs only _10 seconds_ to make a spirit bomb during his fight against Vegeta. Goes to show how much the anime dragged things out.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

In chapter 233, Goku actually says "I just need 10 seconds" in the translation I'm reading. Anyone with the Japanese there?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That part, Piccolo is actually wrong though. Gohan himself is pretty certain he has the power Goku believes in but was afraid of giving in to his rage. Not that Goku was right either but it's not like Gohan wasn't ready to fight either, he just isn't going to relish it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

You missed Goku not training after beating Piccolo in the tournament, since there were pretty much no mountains to climb

Where did this come from? Goku was wearing his weighted clothing even while visiting friends with his son. Piccolo was just taunting Goku when he claimed Goku wasn't training. Goku even has a slightly higher power level than Piccolo when they removed their weights.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'll need see a source to back up that claim.

The "source" for that is the same that has Chichi capable of sparring with Goten so hard that he goes super saiyan.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Dokkan updated, new SSRs: SSj Cell Saga Gohan and Fused Piccolo, also SR Nappa, Yamcha and Raditz.

I just started playing and I'm tempted to restart until I get Teen Gohan but I think I'll just continue.

Super Vegeta Green: 2342891156

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Darko posted:

"Just kill me already" is the worst reaction to anything.

There's Vegeta just stopping and crying against Freeza too. Maybe it's the genes?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Vegeta being stronger than Goku is pretty much the wish of a great number of fans as well as the animation teams. It's the reason why they added filler in the Buu Saga where Vegeta gets to beat up Goku as well as Vegeta getting a super out-of-nowhere boost to surpass Goku in BoG.

It's appreciated fanservice but fanservice nonetheless. I don't like SS3 very much though (except in Fusion Reborn because it was a nice fight) so I like that Vegeta took regular Super Saiyan (I honestly feel SS2 is still a regular Super Saiyan compared to the freak transformation SS3 is) to a higher level, one-upping Goku using Goku's own method from the Cell Games.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

lol that's just wishful thinking and you know it

Since everyone is so gungho happy about using anime stuff to prop up Vegeta, then why are the multiple places where Goku directly gets a second wind (e.g., just before Kaio-ken x20) because he thinks about his family and especially Chi-chi being ignored?

The Goku is a bad person meme was funny but it's being run into the ground AND is being taken seriously, making it less and less funny because it's no longer tongue-in-cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Goku forced his terrified nonconsenting 11 year old to fight an unstoppable bioandroid to the death before consciously willingly abandoning his whole family for seven years because that's how much Goku loves his family.

It's amazing how you can spin things.

You could just as easily say:

Goku depended on his son Gohan, who he directly saw his potential while training, to defeat a monster Goku himself could not defeat. This is in accordance to Gohan's own claims that he wanted to protect the Earth and his friends as said to both Piccolo and Goku.

or

Goku, realizing the wisdom of the gods telling him that he seems to be a magnet for Earth-destroying weirdos, decides to stay dead after his heroic sacrifice to save the Earth yet again and retires to his well-deserved heaven.

• Locked thread