Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
After this weekend I now predict that France will win the Six Nations.

I will not retract this statement so you all may mock me when they lose to Italy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Cheers Tyma I just joined the league.

poo poo - its hard to pick a decent team though. By the time I got to the outside backs I was in the negatives and had to revise some of my earlier options.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
My Team Traitors:

01. Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks)
02. Keven Mealamu (Blues)
03. Werner Kruger (Bulls)
04. Tom Donnelly (Blues)
05. Franco van der Merwe (Lions)
06. Richie McCaw (Crusaders - Captain)
07. Ardie Savea (Hurricanes - Vice Captain)
08. Ryan Kankowski (Sharks)
09. Aaron Smith (Highlanders)
10. Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes)
11. Julian Savea (Hurricanes)
12. Francis Saili (Blues)
13. Ryan Crotty (Crusaders)
14. Charles Piutau (Blues)
15. Ben Smith (Hurricanes)

16. Charlie Faumuina (Blues)
17. Dane Coles (Hurricanes)
18. Sam Whitelock (Crusaders)
19. Jerome Kaino (Blues)
20. Andrew Ellis (Crusaders)
21. Louis Fouche (Bulls)
22. Francois Venter (Cheetahs)
23. Willie Le Roux (Cheetahs)

Edit: I may make some changes to above as some of the selections were based on the idea that only SA teams were playing this weekend and I would trade a couple of players out after that (not counting injuries too).

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 13, 2014

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Lions vs Cheetahs was horrible but the Sharks vs Bulls game was mych better than most of the dross from the 6 Nations.

The Sharks have some great players and, with White coaching, this could easily be their year.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

So the latest issue of NZ Rugby World has a bit where they deliver the news in small one-sentence pieces, with humour mixed in. Said humour is pretty weak at the best of times, but this month, they a solid set of :iceburn: comments in at the expense of Gatland and Wales.

After the earlier discussion about Wales losing their number 10 production line; maybe a Gatland playing for Wales isn't too far fetched.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I suggest waiting until the squads are named and then making the appropriate changes.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Dammit Blues; why did you play like such poo poo in the first half?

I am seriously pissed about that.

(posted while drunk due to a Blues-performance based depression)

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Everything is more expensive in New Zealand. It's loving bullshit.

This goes for almost everything. For example; The NZ dollar used to worth around $.50 to $.60 against the US dollar - it was a similar story for the other major currencies. Our prices were based on those exchange rates. In the last decade, as our dollar has strengthened against the euro, pound and US dollar, the prices still stayed the same. Thanks to the internet people started to notice this fact. Now a lot of things are cheaper offshore when exchange rates were taken into account (even with the added cost of shipping).

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

The Blues are running wild like Hulkamania at the moment.

I was in a pub down by the viaduct and ended up being in the "Crusaders Section" - they were giving me heaps (I was wearing a Blues Jersey) when the score was 17 to 3. At the end of the night they were all quiet and downcast. I didn't feel the least bit sad for them.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Reds with a 4-try bonus point just after half-time already.

It makes me wonder if the Warratahs are a bit better than the NZ and SA sports-writers are giving them credit for.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Mister Chief posted:

You can't be a championship team without a world class 10.

Well - until you can be.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Mister Chief posted:

It pains me to say this but the Waratahs are the Hurricanes of Australia.

I think this season they have a big chance of being the Blues of Australia.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

pizzaman5000 posted:

I can't remember if this is a step up or a step down but either way still insulting

As a long-suffering Blues supporter; I concur.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Basically, as long as Steve Tew is around, Gatland's not going to coach in New Zealand at any significant level and Tew is unlikely to be ousted any time soon.

Lets be honest; the NZRU had a major hard-on for Todd Blackadder who would have been a more likely contender for the All Blacks spot. That was even before Dave Rennie proved his success with the U20s was no fluke by coaching the Chiefs onto back-to-back titles in his first two years as their coach. Considering that John Kirwan, another NZRU golden boy, is coaching the Blues (although, like Blackadder, the results haven't been impressive - in fact worse) I don't see Gatland getting a look-in nowadays.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Deans is more likely to get the All Blacks gig than Gatland at this stage. Hell, Deans was taken seriously as a coaching candidate in 2007 and might have even got the job if Tew hadn't called up McCaw to ask for his opinion, since he was the best possible person to ask for a comparison between Deans and Henry.

It's hard to tell with Kirwan, considering the fact that he's taken on one of the most inconsistent Super Rugby franchises and a lot of the issues with the current Blues team basically mirrors pretty much what his predecessors have had to deal with. I think he'll make a fantastic assistant coach to be honest. He did genuinely improve Japan's performances when he coached them and he does have a history of success as a coach in the Japanese Top League (he made the NEC Green Rockets regular contenders as coach, and their performances basically fell off a cliff as soon as he moved on). Also, I'd take his Blues sides over the rabble that they were reduced to under Pat Lam.

Fair point. I'm not suggesting Kirwan is ready or ever will be - just that he is well ahead of Gatland.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

elTeddy posted:

I hate to say it but i do think NZ has too much an obsession with ex-players coaching rather than skilled organizers who didn't make top level getting a shot. Think John Hart, GH and John Plumtree to an extent.

I can't disagree with that. When Todd Blackadder was named coach of the Crusaders some in the press were already crowning him a future All Black coach (Kirwan was met with more skepticism) despite the fact he had not yet proven himself. Rennie had more experience at ITM cup prior to Super Rugby and also was undefeated as the coach of the U20s team yet when he was given the Chiefs role there wasn't the same song and dance. Two years later and he has two titles while Blackadder has none in 4 (or is it 5?) seasons. Now Rennie is being talked about as a potential All Black coach - but he had to prove himself first while Blackadder, as a former All Black, got that hype automatically.

Just in case no one got this: My point earlier about Gatland coming back (and using Blackadder and Kirwan as examples of people more likely than him to get the job) wasn't an endorsement of them. I was just painting a picture of where he sits in the pecking order.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
So, um, the Hurricans just beat the Cheetahs into the ground.

Did anyone see that coming? Because I thought they would win but not like that and not by that margin.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Unimpressed posted:

Are the Blues going to bottle it?

No - but they did their best in the last 15 minutes by deciding to be rubbish at the set-piece again.

I just got back from the game and was happy with the result and seeing Kaino back. However they need to be a lot better in the set-pieces than they are and clean up their defense out wide.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

I missed the second half. The setpiece in the first half was going reasonably well, so I guess the Blues decided to be the Blues, then.

True - but then Parsons went off and McCartney came on...

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Madkal posted:

I am going to be in Sydney next month. Wish there were some games to go see.

Waratahs vs the Bulls April 19th?

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

The Hamster Man posted:

Hurricanes own
Barrett owns
Savea owns
Leiua owns

It's hard as hell being a canes supporter, but tonight was worth it.

Plus hopefully my hopeless devotion pays off in dream team.

Both Barrett and Savea are on my team - so that bodes well.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Mister Chief posted:

It's almost like the Waratahs are a bad team. You should be watching a good Australian team like the Rebels or Force.

Love it.

This is far from the first time the Waratahs have started well and then faded away. It's kind of their defining characteristic.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Tyma posted:

Oh, hey, Tanaka is on.

Also, this game is loving insane.

That turnover

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Blues vs Brumbies - anyone watching?

Blues get their first line-out and are running it through the forwards - drat Brumbies just stole it.

Edit: and after all that the Brumbies score the first points with a try.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 4, 2014

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The Blues game plan so far: Get the and ball kick it to Mogg.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
This game would be great teaching tool for anyone who wants to know how to screw up every advantage you get and fail to play to your strengths. Good job Blues!

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Very frustrating to watch. The Blues hosed up a lot, but the Brumbies also basically strangled them out of the game. A lot of the gently caress-ups appeared to be a case of the Blues trying too hard out of frustration due to the Brumbies defence, and the Brumbies pack definitely won in the breakdown.

The Brumbies played an excellent teritory game and had good defense. They didn't try too much on attack but when they did they tended to score.

The Blues didn't respond to the fact that Brumbies were better at kicking and collecting kicks than they were until sometime into the 2nd half. I don't know why they started with a game plan that played right into the Brumbies strengths but I was seriously pissed watching it play out and kept waiting for them to stop kicking the ball away or, at least, kick for the sidelines.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Mister Chief posted:

There were people in this thread who genuinely thought that the Waratahs weren't going to be poo poo this year.

I was one of them - but I am happy to be proven wrong.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Anscombe isn't terrible but he is easily behind Barrett, Carter and Cruden when it comes to AB selection - and possibly a couple of other players too.
I don't know where that would put him in the current Welsh side but I think the move would benefit Anscombe far more that it would benefit Wales.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

4. Tom Taylor
5. Colin Slade

I completely forgot about those two. Well thats even more evidence of where he fits in the All Blacks picture - nowhere.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

The subs usually get extended time in these games, or at least they do when Graham Henry put the trial matches on a couple of times in 2004 and 2005.

God that was a long time ago. I remember going to one of them too. Quite fun to watch and, as you said, the players tended to all get a decent go (half a match at least). I remember Xavier Rush had a good game and got an All Black recall off of it (but only a couple of tests).

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Sharks vs Crusaders - kick off is just minutes away. Is anyone watching?

I picked the Crudaders to win and would be quite surprised if the Sharks won this one.

Edit:
And Jean Deysel just got red carded for a head stomp - 15 minutes into the game and the Sharks are done.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 17, 2014

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Despite getting a red card the Sharks are only behind by three points at half time. The Crusaders are doing their best to compensate for the Sharks being down a man.

Edit: Okay - I really didn't see that coming.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 17, 2014

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Sharks absolutely deserved that win. Poor, error-ridden performance by the Crusaders, and the Sharks defence was doubly impressive considering they were down a man from about 20 minutes onwards.

No doubt. The Crusaders should feel embarassed by that loss. 15 on 14 most of the game - and 15 on 13 for a ten minute period - yet they couldn't put them away.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Finally the Blues have stopped me hanging on by ensuring they can't possibly make the play-offs.

Thanks guys! If you had won this weekend I might still be agonizing over the upcoming matches now I can watch them anxiety free.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I just don't get the Auckland Blues this year. I keep going to matches at Eden Park and they keep winning there - but take them anywhere else and they can't buy a win. Kirwan did say he wanted to make Eden Park their fortress but I didn't realise he meant that they would be so poo poo once they left it.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Thel posted:

Watching the Force-Blues game - are the Force so broke that the players have to bring their club socks or something? I'm seeing at least 5 different styles of socks on the Force players ... or am I going crazy?

(Then again I'm voluntarily watching a Force game, so make of that what you will.)

I heard the commentators mentions the socks thing - and it is definitely on purpose for this round.

ouch: yellow card against the Blues (although they are still leading 26 - 0 at this point).

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
First scrum sees the Waratahs put the Crusaders under a lot of pressure. Did not expect that.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Either the Crusaders scrum has come back or the team making the feed is at a disadvantage under current scrum rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I could swear it looked out on the replay.

• Locked thread