Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Grand Architect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

AgentAO posted:

Depends on how heavy the red in your deck is, but I would probably run Mizzium Mortars unless you really can't afford to take that first hit. If you can't afford that first hit, Blind Obedience or Imposing Sovereign will give you that extra time to untap and use Mortars. Stormbreath decks will almost always play around the Celestial Flare on the attack, but you can usually get them on the block if you must run it.

I've been killing them with Satyr Firedancer + Boros Charm or Chandra's Phoenix + Searing Blood but that's not extremely reliable. Most games where I beat a Stormbreath Dragon is just me racing it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Yesssss I just got to life the dream in a paper draft by playing 5-color green with motherfucking Chromanticore, and the deck was actually really good. I went 4-0 with the following:

2x Voyaging Satyr
Leafcrown Dryad
Nessian Courser
2x Nyxborn Wolf
Setessan Oathsworn
Agent of Horizons
Polis Crusher
Horizon Chimera
Nylea's Emissary
Thassa's Emissary
Nessian Demolok
Nessian Asp
Prognostic Sphinx
CHROMANTICORE

Traveler's Amulet
Ordeal of Nylea
2x Nylea's Presence
Karametra's Favor

Mortal's Resolve
Savage Surge
Mortal's Ardor

10 Forest
4 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Mountain

This deck took an excellent ramp shell and fitted it out with enough cantrip manafixing to cast Chromanticore. I won multiple games off of huge lifelinking vigilant creatures. Nice comboes included Setessan Oathsworn + Ordeal of Nylea for immediate lands, Chromanticore + Thassa's Emissary for a nice card draw to go with your 14 point lifeswing, and Horizon Chimera + cantrip manafixing for that little bit of extra lifegain. Also nice was Voyaging Satyr + Nylea's Presence to get more colors. Nonboes included Polis Crusher + Bestow, but he's so good it doesn't really matter.

The only downsides to the deck were a complete lack of creature removal and lack of way to get back Chromanticore from the graveyard. Other than that the deck was awesome.

I also am kind of embarrassed to mention that in all the games in which I played Prognostic Sphinx (at least 4 or 5) I forgot to scry with it every single time. I realized this after the last round when I thought to myself "Prognostic Sphinx was really good but I remember it being much better when opponents have played it against me in the past" and then remembered the Scry ability. This is what I get for assuming I know what all the cards do.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 7, 2014

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Zorak posted:

I don't care how good it is, that's cool as hell.

I've played Thassa's Bounty in draft, and this is a hell of a lot better. I would expect it to be draw 4+ most of the time, which will probably win you the game assuming you're not about to be killed.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

White still seems pretty OP for Limited. Like, I'm pretty sure every single white card is very playable.

Will have to digest the rest of the set before making any predictions.

Oh that first strike, vigilance trample equipment seems pretty good in Draft, but it's not a creature and doesn't target a creature so I don't know if it's playable.

All Strive cards seem super bomby and make me want to have a deck with nothing but 1-3 drops.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Anyone see any other fuctional reprints? All I can find is Typhoid Rats and Lumengrid Gargoyle. The chariot is almost Sword of Vengeance but not quite.

Timberland Guide
Blade of the Sixth Pride

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Nibble posted:

This thread is strictly worse when we're not discussing spoilers.

Actually I can think of an obscure scenario in which this thread is better when we're not discussing spoilers, so please don't use the word strictly as it is inappropriate.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

bhsman posted:

Note my use of the Limited qualifier.

Yeah, exactly. Best-case you blow up their best creature/send 7 to their face and still have a 5/5 flyer to potentially win you the game. That's great in Limited.

I don't particularly like the blue guy since it has very little chance of bouncing any of the other promos. The one it has the best chance of bouncing is the dragon, which you don't want to bounce.
However, I'm pretty sure it will usually bounce enough creatures to break open any kind of board stall. An opponent is VERY unlikely to have more than 1 creature with toughness greater than, say, 5, so this does have a lot of potential. It's definitely no Shipbreaker Kraken.

Incidentally, I can't wait to see a blue vs blue matchup where both players have the promo and 6+ islands.
bounce your guys
bounce your guys
bounce your guys
etc.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just did a 4th edition +legends cube draft at a friends house. It was pretty ridiculous. We were allowed to trade cards before matches started. Instead of rolling for first we went by converted mana cost of the bottom card of your library, and every game was played for ante. I played U/B control with Mind Twist, Mahamoti Djinn, and Royal Assassin.

Highlights include one opponent playing Kird Ape into Giant Strength and beating my rear end down really badly. Another opponent went turn one Dark Ritual Hypnotic Specter 2 games straight (I won one of those games anyway thanks to having a Phantom Monster to block and Mind Twisting away all of his good cards.)

A third opponent killed me from 15 with Channel + Disintegrate. Then he sided in Circle of Protection blue & black against me, so I Mind Twisted his hand, and beat him down with his own Gabriel Angelfire with Animate Dead on it. I also had a Sleight of Mind to beat his Circle of Protection but ended up not needing it.

The cube is missing a lot of cards but the ones that are in it are pretty nuts. The card assortment, much like 4th edition, is made up of a few fairly costed creatures, some insanely broken cards, some overpowered color hosers, and some totally unplayable garbage. There are a lot of Walls and not much removal, and it's very important to figure out what colors are open so you can get some good stuff. It really captured the feel of old-school magic. Will probably do it again.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

The original printing of Time Vault wasn't a combo with Flame Fusillade correct? I get why they wanted to get rid of as much functional errata as they could, but isn't Time Vault as printed just incredibly broken?

Yes. That's why it's banned in Legacy and Restricted in Vintage and still has Vintage decks built around it

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

holy poo poo that flavor text is so good.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Everblight posted:

Yu-Gi-OH! goes way beyond that:

Common
Rare
Super Rare
Ultra Rare
Ultimate Rare
Secret Rare
Secret Ultra Rare
Ghost Rare
Dual Terminal Ultra Secret Rare
Dual Terminal Ultra Parallel Rare

Is this for real or a fuckin joke?

Anyway Conspiracy looks unbelievably fun and complicated to draft. I can't wait. I don't know how much fun the actual games will be but drafting looks crazy as gently caress and it seems almost impossible to evaluate some of these effects. Every other card is something that's pretty much never been done before. I think this is as close as we'll get to another Un-set.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

From the Conspiracy Release notes:

If you use Agent of Acquisitions to draft a booster pack containing Lore Seeker, and you wish to add a booster pack to the draft, first draft each remaining card from the Lore Seeker booster pack. Then open the new booster pack. You may look at the cards in that pack, but you can't draft any cards from it. You'll pass the new booster pack as normal. That was very generous of you.

If you have Power Play but aren't the starting player (because another player also had Power Play), your place in the turn order is unaffected. If you're sitting to the right of the starting player, you're going last. Not all power plays bear fruit.

I guess at some point the rules guy just said gently caress it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Only do this if the cards in the pack are below average. Basically Worldknit gives you better early picks but forces you to use every late pick, which makes it much stronger in Pack 1 than later packs.

I drafted Worldknit last night (I got it 2nd pack 2nd pick) and I promise you that card is hot garbage. Do NOT bother. Having to put all your lovely 14-15th picks into your deck and also playing 65 cards is not even close to worth it. Just draft a normal 2-3 color deck with some degree of consistency and card quality and you'll be fine.

Cogwork Grinder is the nuts, though, at least pack 1 pick 2.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

whydirt posted:

Anyone who's drafted Conspiracy so far: how often were people getting milled out? Is running a 45-50 card deck something reasonable to do or just stick to the standard 40?

I only saw it happen to people running really, really turtly blue decks. If you have one of those, feel free to play Canal Dredger and/or Reito Lanturn. Then when you mill out you get to draw whatever card you want ever turn. (don't actually do this on purpose or you will lose to an opponent's parley.)

There's also Altar of Dementia, but making a bigger library will probably not save you from that.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Oh man Generator Servant into Siege Dragon is going to be a real thing at this prerelease and you will lose to it if you're not prepared.

gently caress, I just read Siege Dragon again and it doesn't even have to deal combat damage, just attack.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I really like that red is getting its piece of the color pie expanded to be more than just "burn things." Between Act on Impulse, Generator Servant, and Aggressive Mining, it looks like they really put some effort into giving red more stuff to do.

Whenever they start adding new mechanics there's always a chance that they print something much more powerful than it should be for its mana cost. I'm pretty sure Generator Servant is such a card.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

i went 3-1. Picked black, started in B/R, switched to U/R after losing a match and realizing that I couldn't deal with bombs and everybody had them.

Overperformers:
Jace - surprisingly good, not too hard to protect. Knowing what you're going to draw next turn is not bad. His ultimate comes up fast, is super broken with any bounce effect (of which blue has a million), and shuffles himself back in if you use him at 8. Also bounces stuff for tempo but that's more a last-ditch thing.
Krenko's Enforcer - won games for me and at other tables. The board definitely stalls out, especially if no one has a huge flyer, and this guy gets there. Also great with Inferno Fist.
Encrust - The quality of removal has apparently gone down enough for this to be amazing as a 3 mana almost hard removal spell. The activated ability clause is very relevant. Stops Phytotitan, Kird Apes, equipment, Auras, and just puts the brakes on early beatdowns in general.
Tyrant's Machine - it's probably just because this is a very bomb-centric sealed format and I had a slow grindy deck but this card was just what I needed in my deck. Comboes with Scrapyard Mongrel or that Legendary red guy.
Cone of flame - Obviously this card looks amazing, and it's even better than that. It's so good that I think it's format warping. Like, creatures with 4 toughness are suddenly way way better, and creatures with 1 toughness that cost 3 or more are a huge liability. I think the black 2/3 for 3 is better than the 3/1 at least partially because of this card. If your opponent is red, be very very wary of Cone of Flame and good luck playing around it.

Underperformers:
Indulgent Tormentor - I mean he's still a 5/3 flyer for 5, but it seemed like everyone had answers to him all day. The most depressing was when I played one at 5 life and my opponent drops Scuttling Doom Engine.
Generator Servant - Maybe it was just my deck, I didn't really have anything crazy to ramp into. He's still a Bronze Sable.
Everything else was fine.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I think Naturalize might be maindeckable in m15 sealed. Spectra Ward is so brutally overpowered, and I guess there are some other targets for it too like Will-Forged Golem or any equipment.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He's right. The card is way overpowered.

I think it's extremely accurately powered for a card that costs 4GGG. That said it is one of the most obnoxious cards to play against in Limited that I have ever seen. It's up there with some of the more powerful planeswalkers. They could have at least put that 1/2 elf that pings all flyers into the set.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Worldknit is great.

As long as you want to make a hilarious deck and don't mind not actually winning.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

vOv posted:

I just noticed the guy in the bottom-right of this card.

whooooooooooooaaaaaaa. I just checked, the blue one has a guy too.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I like that these commander decks are continuing the feud between Gisa and Geralf.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Ugh wedge tap lands at uncommon make drafting a real pain in the rear end.

Just a friendly reminder to pick trilands over anything that's not a huge bomb! If this set is anything like shards there are going to be some seriously high-powered multicolor cards mixed in with a surprising amount of unplayable commons. Go check the spoiler and count, there's some real garbage there.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sorry I meant the spoiler for Shards of Alara. Hopefully they've learned things since then, like "don't reprint Coral Merfolk in a tricolor set" and "don't print a full cycle of literally worthless uncommons." I'm talking about the Herald cycle, which could have been pretty awesome if they let you search up any creature of a specific type instead of making you get specifically named Mythic Rares in the set.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm impressed, this is a pretty big change that seems to be getting massively positive reactions from huge nerds. Probably because it doesn't actually affect gameplay at all. This change is great and fosters everyone's ADD.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I drafted pack rat once in RTR draft and promptly lost round 1 to Desecrator Demon.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

These cards are all fairly efficient and seem great for limited. Except for anything with Delve, that mechanic is going to need some serious enablers not to suck.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dat turtle!!

Oh good, they made Truefire Paladin a rare this time.

I love the design of that turtle but I don't think I want to play it. I guess it's a good wall.

Also Mardu Charm seems really good. It's relevant at almost every stage of the game, which is pretty cool.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

There's really no reason Deflecting Palm needs to be rare. If it could prevent damage to creatures I could see that being rare just for Limited power level, but effects like this have traditionally been uncommon (Reflecting Trap, Captain's Maneuver.) I guess Divine Deflection was a rare, and a huge blowout in Limited at that, but that could target creatures.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Holy poo poo the mana fixing in this set! Hell yes, gently caress Obelisks, gently caress basic landcycling. Just sweet dual and trilands all day long.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

One of the modes of Abzan Charm had better be "put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."

Also I believe that is the last Mythic in the set except for the Temur khan. they are:

-5 Khans
-Sarkhan + Sorin
-Ugin's Nexus
-some Phoenix
-a bad Summoning Trap
-a cool Hydra
-Zombie token maker
-super Clone
-Kung fu Leviathan
-Broodmate Roc

So I guess the money mythics will probably be Sarkhan, maybe Sorin if he turns out to be good, and that bird. Also maybe the Clone, that seems to have a lot of potential. The Abzan and Sultai khans might be good enough for Standard as well. Hell, maybe even Zurgo. 7 power of haste for 5 is not bad.

The money rares will obviously be fetchlands, and possibly:
Utter End
Necropolis Fiend (it's basically Tombstalker, a 4/5 flyer for BB)
Rattleclaw Mystic

I just don't see any three color rares being worth a ton of money, even though some Ascendancies and Mantis Rider, Siege Rhino, and Savage Knuckleblade all seem good enough for standard.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 9, 2014

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The Banners will probably be a slightly higher pick than Cluestones or Obelisks were, which is to say not very high. There is a full set of refuges at common and trilands at uncommon (and fetches at rare), so the banners will be third-tier mana fixing: Still playable, decent for ramping into something big, but you might get beaten down while you're busy casting one.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

All of the Charms seem insane, and might be easy first picks. It depends on what kind of format Khans Limited is. I don't know yet if it will be a format where staying open is super important or one where committing early and hard is the way to go.

I really hope there is some kind of rare or uncommon that counters a triggered ability.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I like Despise, I think it will be miles better in Khans limited than it ever was in Scars block. That format had so many bomby noncreatures and already had plenty of good removal. In Khans the removal is pretty underwhelming so far, and knowing what's in your opponent's hand is going to be way more valuable because of Morph.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

LOL that they printed an uncommon Boros Assault Zeppelid.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm looking forward to playing Sultai, it looks like they have the right enablers to actually cast their spells on time or a little early.

I don't like how many vanilla creatures there are in this set. Maybe more than in m15? Also, because there are so few gold commons and so many gold uncommons and rares, the power gap between commons and uncommons/rares is even larger than usual.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also welcome back, Coral Merfolk! Blue Elks are the best! (This printing must be a joke, they put a functional reprint in Shards of Alara also.)

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Despite the complaints I have about large numbers of vanilla creatures, I am impressed at how few unplayable cards there are in the set at first glance. The fat boring vanilla guys can at least get played on curve turn 3, and even the underwhelming combat tricks do something. Shards of Alara had a very high number of completely unplayable cards, crap like Vectis Silencers and Turtle Formation Sunseed Nurturer, so by the end of the pack there was just nothing to take. This format seems slow as hell, there are a TON of walls and not a ton of ways to get through them.

Mardu and Abzan are going to be sniping cards off of each other, but I do like that each clan has a different pick order. The Outlast lords are very intentionally NOT Warriors, making them worse in Mardu for that reason and because they are slow. I'm pretty sure a good Mardu deck will be one that has some good raid but more importantly has good Warrior synergies, because it's going to be really loving hard to attack profitably in this set. The Warrior cards are still good in Abzan, which sucks for the Mardu drafter, but for Abzan the Outlast lords are a much higher pick because you want to get your entire team pumped up. The noncreature spells that just put +1/+1 counters on things will be a good pick for Mardu but a very high pick for Abzan.

Other clans have similar relationships going around the color pie. Delve enablers like Rakshasa's Secret, Taigam's Scheming, and Scout the Borders are still somewhat playable in Abzan or Temur, but they are actively good for Sultai and jump up the pick order accordingly. Delve cards will still be occasionally playable in Abzan or Temur, but you can only realistically expect to play one or two at most (probably the rare that digs 7 cards or the +6/+6 instant or Murderous Cut) and potentially have trouble casting it.

The real standout cards and high picks in the set are the ones that are good in 2 or three clans. Mardu Blazebringer is good in Mardu or Temur (it's probably better for Temur, oddly enough) Jeskai Elder is good in Jeskai or Sultai (and might be better in Sultai). Embodiment of Spring is as good in Sultai as it is in Temur. Seeker of the way is great in Jeskai or Mardu (since it's a Warrior), and is probably still good in Abzan. Smoke Teller looks great in Temur or Sultai, but the quality of cards in the set is so high I don't even know how many vanilla morph guys will even make the cut.

This analysis doesn't even take into account the tri-colored cards, which are, for the most part, all extremely powerful. I would take very strong ones highly (undercosted rare creatures, Ascendancies,Charms) but I think it will be important to read what is open rather than committing hard. So take a tricolor card early and hopefully you will get the synergies you need. The charms are all powerful, but they are all basically one for ones and it is easy to tell if your opponent has mana up for one. If you are lucky you will get 2 of your clan's charm in your deck, and hopefully you will have 1. But if your deck does not synergize well, a Charm will not save you against a well tuned deck of pretty much any clan. I feel this way about most of the tricolor cards: They are very powerful, but most won't win you the game by themselves, especially against a synergistic deck. There is enough removal and stall in the set that one big, probably nonevasive creature will rarely be enough. I wouldn't pick most tricolor commons and uncommons highly unless I am already in that clan. They are more of a reward you get for being in a particular clan.

The two-colored gold cards are mostly insane and are probably the high picks in the set. Taking a two-color card in Khans is like taking a Hybrid card in Shadowmoor: You are still open to two of your five options. So rares like Rakshasa Death Dealer, Sagu Mauler, Utter End, Ride Down (I know it is an uncommon, I think they mixed up the rarity of this and Deflecting Palm) are all easy first picks because they are relatively easy to play in more than one clan AND are extremely powerful.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also, I think the discrepancy in power levels between various morph creatures in going to be a very important part of playing games in Khans Limited. There are a lot of morphs, especially at rare, that are VERY powerful, either through an ability that triggers when the turn face-up by virtue of being, say, a 6/6 with Trample and Hexproof. But there are also 3/6 vanillas, and 5/2 vanillas, and 3/1s.

Your opponent plays a creature face down. Her biggest bomb may be sitting there, vulnerable, waiting for you to punch it savagely. But it might be what I will vaguely refer to as a low-impact creature, and you only have one removal spell. Why would she just run it out there to get killed? It must be a less powerful creature. Better not waste removal on it. But she knows that you would expect it to be a low-impact card and so she did play her big loving trampler! Now you're dead.

This is how I expect a lot of games of Khans to play out. The vanilla morphs look pretty good as bluffing tools, because there are a lot of them:
2 W commons (a 1/5 flier, a 3/6)
1 W uncommon (a 2/1 flier)
1 W rare (a 2/2 that gives your creatures +2/+2 until end of turn)

3 U commons (a 0/5 flier, a 3/2 unblockable, a 4/5)
2 U uncommons (a 0/6, a 3/1 flier that gives hexproof until end of turn
2 U rares (a 5/6 flier that bounces other tapped creatures, a 3/3 Spelljack)

2 B commons (a 5/3, a 1/4 lifelink)
1 B uncommon (a 1/1 deathtouch)
1 B rare (a 3/2 that draws a card when you creatures die)

2 R commons (a 5/2, a 3/3 first strike)
1 R uncommon (a 2/2 that deals controller 1 damage when it blocks)
1 R rare (a 2/1 Act of Treason)
1 R mythic (a 4/1 flier that comes back morphed)

3 G commons (a 1/1 regenerator, a 2/5 reach, a 6/7)
2 G uncommons (a 3/1, a 5/5 that untaps)
1 G rare (a 2/1 that taps for 3 colors)
1 G mythic (a 5/5 that makes snakes upon death)

1 UG uncommon (2/2 flier that bounces a dude)
1 UG rare (the aforementioned 6/6 Trample Hexproof)

1 BUG common (3/4 flier that loots when it deals combat damage to player)
1 GUR common (5/5 trample)
1 URW common (4/3 first strike that gives +3/+0 until end of turn)
1 RWB common (a 2/2 that makes 3 1/1s)
1 WBG common (a 4/4 lifelink)

That's 34 creatures in the set with Morph, some of which are super strong on board, some of which are only good when flipped face up, and some in between. Some are worth spending removal on, some are not really. There seems to be different types of morph creature:

1. Large creatures whose morph cost is used to get them out early (all the tricolor guys and big vanilla dudes)
2. Cheaper, on curve creatures with a more expensive morph cost that does something when they flip up (most of the rares)
3. Creatures that have a morph cost equal or much less than their mana cost, mostly as a way to be tricky (most of the green guys, Monastery flock, Grim Haruspex, the uncommon "reveal a card" cycle)

This means that if your opponent plays a morph guy and has a few mana up, whether or not to kill it is going to be a tough call. It might be a 0/5 or 0/6, so your removal might not even work! This may make Lens of Clarity actually playable.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 12, 2014

• Locked thread