Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Stuffy doll is obviously the best card guys and gals. Even if the m13 version looks dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whydirt posted:

How much does WotC use block constructed metagames to decide how to balance the next block?

How could it? I thought the lead times were such that each set is close to finalized before the previous bock is out. They probably rely much more on Future Future league testing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kabanaw posted:

...Yeah, that! I forgot Cryptic Command was in the set. It's worth more than it's ever been now.

Modern Masters was basically fifty/fifty in lowering prices. Alot of the uncommons (kitchen finks, path to exile, lightning helix) prices dramatically moved down, a few rares (bridge from below being a big example) went down, alot of rares stayed the same, but I think all the non-dragon mythics went up.

Honestly, if they don't print fetches this year, there are a few cards they could print in m15 and not wrap things. I don't think Tarmagoyf would wrap the environment that much right now without fetches because there are so few ways to get cards in the graveyard, unless you play BUG, which, if they keep the mana denial going, would be hard to do.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 14, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kabanaw posted:

But it doesn't look BAD at scale. It looks fine at scale, at least not any worse than most old magic art at scale. Phalanx Leader is a good looking piece of art on a card, but if you look at a high res version of it you can see the paint strokes. My point was that if you look closely at the art it's not just some homogenized mediocre art slapped onto cards so that they have cohesiveness, there's still a lot of quality compositions on Magic cards.

Gild looks bad at whatever scale you can think of.

edit: until someone makes their own card alter and calls in "Geld" for the puns

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 20, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Assuming you're playing Fog Maze's End, you should have a pretty good matchup vs. both of those. You generally want to take the early damage and build up your fogs for later when it matters. My favorite thing ever: attack with Gatekeepers, cast Aetherize, cast Verdict, recast Gatekeepers. Profit!

My list is here if you want to check it out. It's basically worthless, and you probably already have most of the parts for it. So far, I definitely like the Coursers and might go up to 3 if I can be bothered to dig my 3rd one out of my trade binder. I'll probably add a Sphinx's Revelation or 2 over the Opportunities - they're basically the same thing at 6 mana anyway, but with life gain.

http://deckbox.org/sets/551747

The Coursers are an interesting choice. I'm playing creatureless Maze's End, so I don't know if playing a small amount of creatures without an ETB effect is the best idea. If you're playing so few creatures and have no ways to protect them, then most things will just die to cards that should be useless against you. Instead of creatures, I just put in 2 Jace and 2 Kiora. They provide mini-fogs of their own, maybe draw cards (which you really need, Urban Evolution is usually not enough if you can't land an early maze.) I should probably switch to Revoke Existence instead of Wear/Tear in the sideboard, because I'm scared of Xenogods more than Pithing Needle/Ratchet Bomb.

http://deckbox.org/sets/610174

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

$475 for robots vs. $100, $50 of which is Idyllic Tutors which could easily be turned into more Blood Moons and March of the Machines, which would make the deck more like $60-70. And that's what started my Restore Balance talk: he was saying how he can't get into modern because of the ridiculous prices of everything that's in more than 1 deck. There's probably not much that's cheaper than Balance that has many good matchups. It just depends if losing to any deck with counters more often than not is worth $1000+ to you.

Could you see using Plea for Guidance instead of Idyllic Tutor in any situation? I have a bunch of those don't don't feel like dropping 30 bucks more when I have alot of the Restore Balance parts already.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Toshimo posted:

Jace: Getting ready to rotate and will drop like a stone since he will never Legacy play

Is this true? Tibalt aside, most planeswalker prices general are pretty resilient after the first year of rotation. There seems to be three tiers of planeswalker prices: 5 bucks (not played in anything besides EDH) 10 (seen in fringe strategies) and 20-and-up (playable in multiple formats.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mikujin posted:

Anyone have a link to the monoB list that was running Agents/Nighthowlers/Heralds kicking around?

This is what I based mine off of:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572508&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post426004136

I added in an Underworld Cerberus because I love that card and I will try to play it all time, errday.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Having a great time at game day playing maze. Ate a control decks'lunch round one, then lost in five minutes to burn. Maze rules.

Also, If you want to battle the horde, play Nighthowler. It is very broken against these decks. Like, kill them in two turns broken.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 2-3 at the game day. Destroyed 2 control decks, lost to 2 burn decks, and lost a close one to a mono-black aggro when I misplayed my mana (played a Maze turn 3 instead of a blue gate which would have made me able to D-Sphere something to keep living.) Had a real fun time playing Maze's End. There was another Maze player there who also went 2-3, and we compared strategies (he plays Divination instead of Jace/Kiora for card draw, which I may experiment with because card draw coming earlier is a big boon to find verdicts.)

I noticed one of the regulars at my LGS was not there today, and I asked where he was. Well, turns out he is at the Melbourne GP: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gpmel14/welcome#2

And he's currently in the top 8 after 9 rounds. He is the best player I have ever played against, and have never won a match against him. I came so freakin' close two weeks in a row at FNM but made two bone-headed plays both times to lose. Everyone at the store was talking about it, even though I couldn't really understand much. Its always cool to see someone you've played against do so well at a GP.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MrBling posted:

The fact that the GP is largest in Australia and still doesn't crack 1000 players is completely mindboggling considering the state of GPs elsewhere in the world.

Looking at the past few SE Asian GPs, Hong Kong couldn't crack 1000, Bangkok couldn't, Taipei couldn't, Kuala Lampur barely did, and the Brisbane GP did less than 500. Going back 4 years, the only one to be really big was Manila at 1100. 1000 is about the ceiling outside of Japan for Asian GPs.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm back in the US for the next month, in North NJ. What are the best places to play in Manhattan, or places that do stuff not on Friday night? Wanna try to play my maze deck against some new compitetion.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

Just get your sets of Standard duals when they first come out for $5 apiece and any extras you open for the remainder of their time in standard will be solid trade fodder.

Much like in real life, always bet on land.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ahhh, I just bought everything to complete BW tokens lest week, minus Marsh flats. I did just spend about 70 to get an Elspeth, Auriok Champions, Heroes, And a few other cheap cards. At least my Elspeth is a kickin' rad German one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boxn posted:

So would you say the Event deck would be a decent buy, especially if they have 1 Marsh Flats included? If so I'll buy another to finish my Flats playset.
EDIT: Also Heroes are great in this Italia deck I brewed up, the 4 toughness, token generation, and Battle Cry effect is so good.

If you're going to build BW Tokens from scratch, and not including sideboard and lands, it will cost somewhere in the ballpark of 150 dollars. The price went down a little because Deathrite was a 4-of in most decks. I started playing during Innistrad, so I didn't have that many parts already (basically just Lingering Souls, Intangible Virtue, Godless Shrines, and 1-ofs Isolated Chapel and Vault of the Archangel.)

4x Thoughtseize (75-90)
3-4 Auriok Champion (35-40)
1x Elspeth, Knight Errant (15-20)
2x Hero of Bladehold (7.50-10)
1x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (5-7)
3x Honor the Pure (3)
4x Spectral Posession (6-8)
4x Zealous Persecution (5)
4x Path to Exile (20)
4x Tidehallow Sculler (1)
4x Raise the Alarm (1)

You can make some cheap-o adjustments if you want (Burrenton Forge-Tender instead of Auirok Champion, Cloudgoat Ranger and Devouring Greed instead of Hero of Bladehold and Planeswalkers, Duress instead of Thoughtseize and IoK) but if you already have the Godless Shrines and Thoughtseizes, then the rest of the deck is pretty cheap to build. Just build the rest of the deck up first and then slowly pick up the needed lands (Marsh Flats, Windbrisk Heights, Fetid Heath maybe Caves of Koilos.) If the event deck has most of these non-land pieces in multiples, then I would consider it a pretty good buy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Had a pretty fun night at a Standard kinda ruined by the last round I had to play. I went 3-1 playing Maze's End, losing only to Mono-Black. I had never been to that store before, and had never actually played the in US before. Because I play in Taiwan, My Maze's End deck uses alot of non-English cards (mostly Chinese and Japanese, but there is at least one-English copy of everything in my deck besides sideboard Turn/Burn.) In the previous rounds no one really said anything about them besides asking where I got them. During the top 8, I play a guy who is playing an all foiled-out Jund deck. I'm making a little chit-chat about how I hope he plays a fast deck because I need to leave soon (I didn't think I was going to win, most of my games were slow crawls to close victories and I knew he was playing aggro.) He steamrolls me game 1, but got grumpy when I played a 2nd Maze's End, trying to tell me that it was Legendary (when everyone else in the store told him it wasn't, he started getting mopey.) We sideboard me for game two. He was playing very slow, and I figured he was gonna beat me again quickly the next game. He sideboards in Pithing Needle (drops 2 naming Maze and Jace) hits 2 Slaughter Games (taking all my verdicts.) When playing the Slaughter games he writes down my entire deck, making comments about how my cards are in "Oriental" and that when playing in America, "we use English cards here :smug:" Through lucky top decks of my artifact removal, I somehow pull the win out of my rear end when he can't get through my fogs. I breathe out a sigh of relief, and tell him that it was the luckiest game of my life. He then gets really huffy at me, saying "it wasn't luck, I made mistakes and should have won." Game 3 he hits Pithing Needles and Slaughter Games again for my Verdicts and D-Spheres this time (which, considering 2 games in a row, he hit both Slaughter Games turns 4 and 5, when I didn't shuffle his deck, did put me off a little.) but this game went by much quicker when I had him in complete fog-lockdown. I put the last gate down, and extend my hand, and get cold-shouldered, and get more flack for my non-English cards (even though in all three games I told him exactly what each cards did every time I played him.) I then rush out the store because my brother was waiting in the parking lot for an extra hour because I didn't expect this match to go on this long and needed a jump (which another player graciously helped us with.) I tell the owner to give the store credit I won to the guy whom I beat and then leave. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not conceding when I was going to leave no matter what next round? I saw other people playing with non-English cards today (granted not at the percentage I was) so it is considered bad to play with so many Non-English cards?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Monsieur Mango posted:

Nope. But you definitely acted the stereotypical Asian with no back bone. Have some balls next time and tell a guy that he's a shithead when he's being one.

But...I'm white?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPKL1Oy-CA

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boxman posted:

Do we know why the Shocklands randomly got typed and not any other duals (besides the originals)? Was it something mechanical in Original Ravnica block? I was basically paying a minimum of attention to the game at that point.

EDIT: Also what's that Ark42 replacement? The price visualizer broken down by set.

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/

Scrylands are probably going to mean less in the long run to Modern than checklands or fastlands because they stop a consistent turn one play, but I wouldn't doubt they will see some play. I can't think of a cycle of rare lands that don't get some use in modern.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

In a world where fetchlands and filter lands have quadrupled in price and fast lands have doubled in just one year, betting the over on shocklands is the easiest thing to take.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There's no denying power level is down, though. The voltron effect requires toning down removal as well which grates on people subconsciously I find as well.

I think nykthos, thoughtseize, and maybe courser & some red scrylands will be the only cards from the last two sets to have real non-edh staying power.

Master of Waves and Thassa have already been added to modern Merfolk and look to stay there. It didn't really move the deck out of tier two though. Although it has never been officially said, I think they try to shoot for 3-5 cards in each new set to have Modern/Legacy implications. Now does that mean new cards for Jund or Affinity to play with every three months? No, but it allows different archetypes to get more powerful. Even Dragon's Maze gave some cards to fringe strategies to make them more playable (Wear/Tear is perfect sideboard tech for RW control, Breaking/Entering made modern mill a little more viable, a couple Unflinching Courage in Bogle.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

What are you supposed to do when an event doesn't show up in your planeswalker points? I know it's planeswalker points and they are dumb, but I am OCD about all my few wins and many losses.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sadly, no. It was a pretty nice place (Montasy Comics in Manhattan. ) I probably won't be able to get there again. It was a GPT, so I figured it would be reported, and I don't want to be that guy and call when I went 1-3 drop.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I just keep all jank from each set in its own mailing box, then separate good commons/uncommmons I want to use in decks in holiday boxes. All foils are in their own box too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await not having to play a game for 50 minutes because UW Control can't find it's wincon and has counterspelled/verdicted/d-sphered all of mine.

Then you should just play Maze's End, it destroys any version of control.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Did maze's end get anything out of BotG? Coursier maybe? Haven't seen anyone run the deck in a while.

That could work but I play creatureless. If you only have 4 CoK and nothing else, they will eat all of the removal that should be stuck in your opponents' hand. Kiora works sometimes (nothing better after a Verdict to play her) but its a corner case.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It happens every year during rotation when new decks pop up. Cards that were not used (Pack Rat, Nightveil, Grizzly Salvage, Frostburn Weird) last year all of a sudden find a home. Its almost like, gasp, Wizards plans these things out a year before to make future decks viable!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

traslin posted:

How do you know planar cleansing is rotating out? I was under the impression that most of the core set didn't rotate out because of reprints. Elspeth has issues with heroes downfall and burn.

I don't think there will be any one replacement for Aetherling unless it comes in one of the next sets.

Core sets are usually half new, half reprints now. Sometimes they reprint stuff from the last core set, sometimes it's from previous core sets, and sometimes they print stuff from the set that's going to be rotated out (Bramblecrush, Claustrophobia, and a few of the wolves in M14 were from Innistrad and Avacyn originally.) Planar Cleansing has been in the core set for a few years now, so there is a good chance they change it up for a old wrath like Day of Judgement, or a new one that will hit the dollar bin hopefully.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Froghammer posted:

WotC doesn't really like reprinting legendary creatures. I can only think of a handful of times they've done it, and most of those times have been in Timespiral.

Nothing stopping them from reprinting Thalia in supplementary products, where they do put in legendary cards, or the inevitable Modern Masters 2.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AnacondaHL posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but it's three main factors: use in Standard, casual appeal, and use in Modern. Only cards like Liliana of the Veil did not have the big Standard rotation price drop because of eternal playability, and cards like Avacyn Angel of Hope because of casual playability. I don't think Voice of Resurgence will be an outlier like those, maybe closer to Thundermaw Hellkite or Past in Flames.

Past in Flames is a pretty bad example. It was a dollar in paper a month ago until Richmond pushed it up, along with stuff like Pyromancer Ascension. It is one of the few cards much more expensive online (because Storm is cheaper, more prevalent, and easier to play online.) Thundermaw is easily the most powerful dragon ever printed, so its hard to compare to other crappy dragon rares.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zoness posted:

Storm did way better at Pro Tour Born of the Gods than it did at Richmond. Richmond featured a lot of Pod at the top.

Whenever the Modern season started. They both tripled overnight according to the TCG tracker.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jassi007 posted:

I'd like any of the people who think Voice is going to drop in price to respond to this. What is holding the price of Voice up if it isn't Pod? What standard deck or circumstances are currently making it worth $25, but will change post rotation? Do you think people are still opening Dragon's Maze in a quantity sufficient to keep adding new voices to the supply that will change after rotation?

Why is Kalonian Hydra still 15 dollars? Because prices, especially in standard season, are very sticky. If you are dead set on playing GW this year, Voice is a card you absolutely need 4-of, and the only card you can't replace because the next best two-drops is Scooze, then a huge void of playability. Precinct Captain, Kalonian Tusker, Fencing Ace, Fleeceman Lion? They are just not as useful. Voice just never hit that huge drop like, say, Ashiok, which spiked huge and then fell to 10 and will probably go lower if the next block doesn't find a home for him.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 29, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gyshall posted:

The next set needs to be a Vikings related set, or something other than RETURN TO NOSTALGIAPLANE~~ which could get old pretty fast.

I mean, Zendikar was great, but it wasn't that long ago that the set was standard legal, right?

It was 5 years ago, when Mirrodin and Ravnica took 7 I think.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

So I'm going down a list of things to pick up for Modern Fish, I'm basically building from the ground up because the only things for the deck I do have is a playset of Aether Vials, a Master of the Pearl Trident and my Master of Waves from my Mono U deck.

What's probably the best thing to grab now and not later? My guess is the Cavern of Souls and Cursecatchers?

Cursecatchers and Silvergill Adepts are much more expensive than any of the rares you need to get. Get those first unless you think MMA2 will have them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

From the Planeswalker's guide to Journey Into Nyx:

Time for another Heroes' Reunion reprint! :unsmith:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jassi007 posted:

The style is different, she looks swarthy in the second image and eurasian in the first. She looks like two different ethnicities.

Different artists, Alara was 5 years ago. People look differently just in different sets, to try and get that kind of block-by-block consistency is hard enough. Every time they print a Planeswalker it looks a little different.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Interesting that the typesetting is different. I guess the way the Theros Dissolve is set is actually pretty awkward now that I look at it. Massive gutter to the right of the rules text, but the flavour text is crunched up against the border.

I think that has more to do with the promo being from Magic Online than the printed copy scanned.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GodSend doesn't work against Mutavault and other manlands, right? Because they aren't technically cast, just "played."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dr. Stab posted:

If it was the other way, then just having 5 counters on it + vorel = infinite turns. You don't need another reliable source of counters.

Other than the fact that doing both of those (Ajani + Vorel) only makes 4 counters?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

As a fan of tribal decks, I can't wait to play mono green stompy with all those double green devotion centaurs and Aspect of Hydra. Splash white for Call of the Conclave and Centaur Healer, maybe red if you want Fanatic of Xenagos in there too. I'm in for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So I just threw this together.

4 Godless Shrine
7 Plains
7 Swamp
4 Mutavault
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Precinct Captain
4 Tormented Hero
3 Athreos, God of Passage
4 Sin Collector
4 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Bile Blight

Sideboard
1 Pithing Needle
4 Duress
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Doom Blade
2 Drown in Sorrow

Is there any reason not to run out and buy this deck right now?

EDIT: Not sure on the Precinct Captains, may swap for Daring Skyjek.

I love this deck and want to build it right now and smash face.

• Locked thread