Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That is a Good planes walker. Attacks for 4 while threatening an ult with a huge 4 damage removal option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yes. If you haven't won by then I don't know what's in your deck though.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Morph is really complicated, which is probably why all the other mechanics in the set are super straightforward
There's also 6 mechanics in the set - like RTR they want to keep the mechanics approachable so limited doesn't become too complicated.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yet. Elesh taking white-dominated phryexia to other planes is going to be terrifying.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well for one a big block set is pretty different from a core set- it'll have a full set of new mechanics instead of the one returning mechanic of core sets.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Yes. I know it will see play since it hits anything but it's still clunky to spend 4 mana on a one for one.
It's unconditional exiling of *anything* at instant speed. It'll see play.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Who the hell plays stone rain in limited? Also printing efficient LD in a multicolor set would be completely counterproductive and stupid.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Abzan supremacy is one of the better anthem effects they've printed, since it is both a solid buff and wrath insurance.
Paired with cards like Ainok Bond-kin, it promises some pretty big buffs for creatures with counters on them.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If either player has something else that can generate ETB triggers you can do it once they're stacked. For example, purphuros or any evolve/tribute dude.
This just made me realize that courser and fetchlands are going to coexist. That'll be fun.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

End of Life Guy posted:

I had a guy try to doom blade my Young Pyromancer immediately after it entered the battlefield, and when I mentioned that I still get to cast Molten Birth, he said it was too late because it was sorcery speed.
Yea that guy is wrong and doesn't understand how priority works/was trying to gently caress you over.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MTGO doesn't help with these confusions in that by default it passes priority for you whenever you cast a spell unless you hold shift.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I cannot wait to shank some ankles.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

quote:

Some say that Narset possesses a secret potential inside her, a power or calling that will drive her to a greater purpose, but she remains dedicated to leading her clan.
Potential future planeswalker? Sounds like if fate reforged is Sarkhan changing the past we may get a Narset planeswalker in the third set.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bugsy posted:

New right?

Aproxiamte translation:
Well that'll end a game effectively if you have prowess creatures out.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Dude, some of those people are like on the verge of tears. For a reprint!
People have done way more embarrassing things while drunk at a party.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Everyone was drunk because there were free drinks and it was a party.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's no reason to take or play an off-color morph unless some terrible disaster occurs. In morph sets you have infinite 3-drops anyway, it's always been 2-drop that are at a premium.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I fully expect a spike on those cards plus Snapcaster Mage to occur very soon. Increasing demand to play into Modern with Fetchlands increases demand on every other card that ISN'T being reprinted.
Yep, this always happens whenever a staple is reprinted and format interest spikes- it'll still be cheaper to play modern but not that much cheaper.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I seriously doubt they want cryptic in standard ever again as well. It'll assuredly get reprinted at some point but I would be shocked if it's ever in standard.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This card will be great in EDH\casual, it's a fun effect that I wouldn't want to see all over standard anyway.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We have seen less than 1/4th the set so any speculation is a little premature.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Also shocklands were drafted not only in their large set environments but also in DGM/GTC/RTR, with fetches leaving the draft rotation in the spring there will be fewer opened. I still anticipate a drop though. New fetches will probably end up around $15 depending on standard popularity.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

JerryLee posted:

You can and people will but it won't be a good idea. Trust me.

So many responses/theorycrafts seem predicated on the idea that it won't be worthwhile to play fetches in Standard just to fetch basics, and that's just not true. It wasn't true in Onslaught, it wasn't true in Zendikar, and it won't be true now.
It's not worth it just to get a single color but they can still get either color and are untapped - you'd be silly not to run a fetchland if you're the appropriate allied pair.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They're worth it in older formats for shuffling, and in particular decks for thinning but thinning is really negligible to the point where if your deck cares about life at all it's bad. We're talking ~1-2% less land density per fetch.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's relevant because it is the most played card in every format it is legal in?
It's a good thing we weren't talking about those formats.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's a very powerful fireball too- the two extra damage adds a lot.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mortimer posted:

There's the rub
The modality of it makes up for that though- getting a 4 power creature on the board shouldn't be hard at all, and once you do it becomes efficient at all levels. Having a spell that is pillar of flame/volcanic hammer/char and upwards based on the demands of the game is a massive upside.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Seriously people, stop undervaluing delve. You can remove 10 cards to get 5 2/2s for BBBB at instant speed. That's really good. Tombstalker is 8mana for a 5/5 flier and its heavily played in legacy.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This looks clearly awesome to me? It's a very powerful effect that's well supported in standard. The instant is what drives it for me.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The biggest downside to this is running into a wrath, but since it's an instant it dodges the sorcery-speed wrath effects. EOT make 8 zombies, untap, swing on you for 16+.
Exactly. You can't just beat this card by having a wrath effect or a removal spell. This puts it way above most threats.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ghave reads 2: put a +1/+1 counter on target creature

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jeskai is not a control clan, prowess is not a control mechanic. Prowess is about using combat tricks/removal to pump up your attacking creatures, not sitting back. Abzan and Sultai look to be the controling clans, Temur midrange, and Jezai/Mardu aggro, with Abzan the most controling and Mardu the most aggro.
Edit: That video is the most beautiful thing I have seen

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

Am I missing what makes that rare?
gently caress playing around this in limted at uncommon.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Here's the Delve card you were looking for:

This card is so good.
Holy poo poo that card is powerful.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If the bird dies while it's still a Morph, it doesn't get returned to play, correct?
Correct, while it's morphed it's a 2/2 no abilities.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 8, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

End of Life Guy posted:

Strictly better cluestones.
Uh, no, as they require an extra mana/color to draw a card. Still better than cluestones though.
That common jeskai morpher is really powerful too- fairly easy to eat something of theirs and make another creature trade.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

You could Whip at Instant speed but to do it requires you to play something that allows you to play a Sorcery at Instant speed like Quicken first.

Not that you'd really want to do that unless you desperately need a blocker and have 5 mana available.
Uh, no. Read quicken again.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

MTGSalvation bums me out so hard. It's like those surveys that show 90+% of Americans consider themselves middle class. A whole site full of self-described Spikes who are absolutely terrible at card evaluation.

The gold standard they hold up as the power level of sets is Zendikar; and while Zendikar certainly was higher-power than RTR/Theros/Khans, it also had Kabira Evangel, Lullmage Mentor, Sadistic Sacrament, Electropotence, Predatory Urge, Blade of the Bloodchief etc etc. People only ever remember the highest power cards from a given environment, so all past environments look stronger than the present.
Yea, it's really awful.
Also they equate high-power=healthy environment. Zendikar block brought us Jace and stone forge mystic dominated formats.
Also, the fixing is exactly what the limited environment needs to be fun. They have said repeatedly that shards block's biggest problem was not enough fixing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zoness posted:

~~Strictly better~~ than Obelisks!!
They don't even tap for the same color combinations. Chromatic lantern and coalition relic are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Zorak posted:

Here's a card people will totally underevaluate (this would be miserable at uncommon)
That is a terrifying card.

• Locked thread