Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I've always liked Wing Shards for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
New answer - anything with Jaya Ballard flavour text:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

No mixing the real world with the flavor world. They do still pull from real-world stuff in the core sets, M14 Pay No Heed is King Lear, for example.

I just wish they'd cite these explicitly, but yeah, good point.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Niton posted:

Stupid rules question: What happens if, theoretically, my opponent's name is -also- the name of a card? Like if my opponent legally changed his name to Gaddock Teeg, would I be able to gain protection from him that way?

(Also sort of wondering if this has ever come up on MODO)

From Runed Halo's rulings:

quote:

5/1/2008 Runed Halo gives you protection from each object with the chosen name, whether it's a card, a token, or a copy of a spell. It doesn't matter what game zone that object is in.

Given the "each object", I think this is a non-starter. It would be amazing if it worked, though.

e: you can't even name 'Jack', because the comprehensive rules say only Magic cards count as "cards" according to the rules.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I, for one, am utterly shocked that a thread about magic: the gathering has stereotypical magic players in it.

Relatedly, how's valentines day registration in Paris going for that legacy tournament?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I transcribe my opponents' hands onto a set of golden plates, so that one day in the distant future a new, superior religion will be founded on my shared knowledge of its contents.

This sounds like a slow play violation imho

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

This is pretty neat. How viable is it as a deck? I don't care about going 4-0 or anything but if I can make Legacy players get feelbads I'm intrigued.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Combo decks are common in Legacy, you aren't going to give any Legacy players "feelbads" with Sac Lands Tendrils but you might have a lot of fun playing a cool format.

More 'I built this deck for <100' (I basically only need the Pasts in Flames and Petals) in the second-most expensive format.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Calling it now: Ducks block is going to be all about Nissa. Introducing her years ago was actually a calculated move by R&D to foreshadow her being the chosen one to defeat the eldrazi/phyrexians/whoever simultaneously.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

For some. But eh, screw those people.

Yeah, fuckin' stores. Hate 'em.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Clearly these are the best alters:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Aww, I missed Restore Balance chat. It's definitely a fun deck, but it's not a good one, and anyone saying it is is lying, at the very least to themselves. I've barely played it at all since trading for most of Fish, which isn't a T1 deck either, but is still miles ahead of RB, at least the Borderpost version. There's a much more resilient version of the deck with a real manabase, but it's no longer a budget deck, and that's one of the main reasons people play the deck to begin with.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Weird question... what are DCI numbers at nowadays?

I got mine at the Theros prerelease, and it's 1103-757-###.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

vOv posted:

If you turn Sorin, Lord of Innistrad into a creature via Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines, does he become a legal target for his ultimate because it only says "other planeswalkers", not "other creatures"?

ruling 1/22/2011 posted:

If Sorin, Lord of Innistrad somehow becomes a creature, it can be chosen as a target of its own third ability. If Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is still on the battlefield when that ability resolves, it will then destroy Sorin and return him to the battlefield under your control.

Always check the rulings, they're usually pretty good about stuff like this. My favourite will always be equipping a planeswalker onto another planeswalker, though.

e: whoops, while the ruling above is true I don't think it applies in the case you illustrate, since he's an Artifact Creature Planeswalker - Sorin, as Tharizdun points out.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 3, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I should also probably mention his tokens were sleeved up in big breasted purple anime women.

Yeah.

Wave a chair at him threateningly.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I was playing Junk Reanimator for a bit. Grisly Salvage and Commune to fill the bin and find lands/your Whip, deathrite (I had multiple opponents go 'wait, that guy's useable in standard?) to fix and accelerate, then Whip and Obzedat's Aid to reanimate an Angel or Ashen Rider t4-5 is pretty backbreaking. The deck's definitely missing something (probably a third reanimation effect that's better than Journey), but it's relatively consistent and pretty fun, and you can even get all toolboxy if you add Jarad's Orders.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

A smart Omnath list loving shatters that card.

Think bigger.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Ulysses is totally worth reading (and arguably sublime) the next time you have two years to take notes on every book joyce ever read in advance of opening your annotated copy. If you even just have annotations without foreknowledge though it's a tough fucker of a book to read. I mean, it's no Finnegans Wake, but if that book were a magic card it'd have Protection from Editors for sure

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Question: Mutavault isn't going to go down in price much once it rotates, right? I need three more for my Fish deck and I'm wondering whether it'll be worth waiting for.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Why wouldn't it? The number of decks that use them in Modern is a much smaller slice of the pie, and my impression is that said decks are tier 2 at best (no offense to your Fish deck).

None taken! And yeah, while I'm sure it'll drop some, I was wondering if any of the finance folks here had an idea of how much.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
My problem with forge was that when i started i didn't realize you had to actually download price data, so for a bit i sold all my uncommons and then bought a black lotus and three moxen for it, because each of them was just priced the same as any other rare.

Then i found out that i hadn't downloaded price data, and things suddenly made a lot more sense.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Serious question - would making Rev sorcery-speed have caused it to be less oppressive? That adds another step to its decision tree, if nothing else.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Zoness posted:

Because Spread'em became mildly known as a hate deck

I looked this up and now I really wish I'd been playing back then. What a hilarious, incredible deck (and super suited to playing against Jund).

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Basically, "You know what would make this deck better? If it was Jund. Happy brewing, everyone!"

Wasn't there a tweet someone dug up last thread where he literally said 'yes, any deck is better if you make it Jund'? Maybe that was someone else but I doubt it.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Entropic posted:

I haven't tried drafting in the MTGO beta client in forever. Is it normal for the tournament page to show all matches including yours as 0-0 even after you've won the round and are just waiting on the other games?
And for it to say "Waiting for more players to join the queue" at the bottom of the tournament page after you've finished your round 1 games?

Yes and yes.

Also, I kind of want to do the Sliver event, if only to go all in on the Necrotic Sliver deck.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
At least the new client's UI isn't obviously from before years started with "2".

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Since it looks like we're wrapping down the previous store location chat, can I ask for store recs in Vancouver, BC? For the longest time my work schedule made getting out to anything impossible, and I'm kind of interested in playing formal Magic in person again.

I think I'm mostly interested in draft, but standard and modern aren't out of the question. Grognards are a minus.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Return to Zendikar seems pretty plausible to me. Everybody loves full-art basics.

Speaking of Zendikar, though - I wasn't playing then, but I remember something about 'priceless treasures'. What was the deal with those?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I'm shocked Gavin Verhey wrote the mothership article titled "Such Article, Very Meme". What the gently caress, dude.

VVV
I know about April Fool's and how it turns everything terrible. I just somehow was unsurprised he was the one to write it.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 1, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Saeku posted:

Stranglehold, Chaos Warp, and Torpor Orb are your buddies here.

Karametra is an on-cast trigger, not ETB, so Torpor Orb doesn't stop her from racking up lands. e: it'll kneecap Avenger of Zendikar, though

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Are Abhorrent Overlord and Shipbreaker Kraken really not that good?

I've only just started getting into this and I've been modifying those 2 intro decks quite a lot but I like both of those cards...

Shipbreaker Kraken is outstanding in Sealed.

Also, to whoever it was wondering if the Elspeth+Ajani art was for Heroes' Reunion or Congregation at Dawn, MaRo just posted [url=http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/81512063971/hello-i-know-that-you-do-not-give-us-spoilers-ahead]this on his tumblr:

quote:

scofalik asked: Hello, I know that you do not give us spoilers ahead, but magic community would be thankful if you deny that Elspeth+Ajani art from newest Planeswalker guides is for Heroes' Reunion. Everybody is guessing that with sadness in their voice :)

It is not on Heroes’ Reunion. It’s on a cool new card that includes a new mechanic.

Also aren't there usually some cards leaked by this point? Waiting for spoiler season takes forever.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Just wanted to echo I've also been enjoying the synopsis so far, thanks for doing it.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
The best part of Suspend will always be having a bunch of your creatures one turn away from coming into play and then casting a wrath.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

AlsoD posted:

What ways are there to win in standard without casting spells, other than Mutavaults? I suppose I could try and play cards like Akroan Horse, Brimaz or Pack Rats (which can take over games) before the Possibility Storm.

maze's end, azor's elocutors, biovisionary+progenitor mimic, 70 islands + death stare (win by decking your opponent)

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 19, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

bhsman posted:

How is red's not good, let alone garbage? If you play enough red you can potentially kill a creature (or possibly your opponent) and then leave a 5/5 flyer. As far as Limited is concerned, that's pretty good.

It costs seven mana in a deck that doesn't have seven lands out t7.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
e: disregard this post i'm an idiot

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 21, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Jeez, my first rare was a Boros Reckoner.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Someone type what's in the pictures and spare my crappy eyesight please.

Firespout, Martial Coup, Upheaval, Wrath of God, Virtue's Ruin, Rolling Earthquake, Armageddon, Decree of Annihilation, Fracturing Gust, Terminus, Child of Alara, Living Death, Cataclysm, Burning of Xinye, Smokestack.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Which is why I run it in my Zedruu deck. It fixes color problems for me, and I have the chance to soft lock someone put of a game!

Finally my colorless edh deck (Reaper King) is worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Baron - have you thought about just dropping twenty bucks to get it done through Amazon mechanical turk? I bet it'd be pretty easy to set that up, and if you're keeping a list for insurance purposes it makes sense to me to spend a little cash for peace of mind.

• Locked thread