Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Gifts Ungiven is my favorite card and probably about 50% of the reason I play Modern. I'm just a few versions away from a global set, no idea where I'm gonna find a Chinese foil though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

JerryLee posted:

Different strokes. I like that art so much less than the original. It's technically well done, of course.

Yeah, this new art is really boring, particularly for a Bizarro World Black Lotus originally printed in one of the most aesthetically distinct (for western fantasy at least) settings they've done.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I do kinda like how the Duel Deck art for Remand depicts Deathrite Shaman getting banned.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I understand getting tilted over mana screw/flood or just poor luck, but I never understood why rogue decks tilt people so much.

I always enjoy it when I see rarely-used cards making an impact, or new breakout combos, even when I'm losing to them. I guess it figures that someone who's so resistant to new ideas would also be a homophobic turd.

Yeah, having to read a couple of an opponent's cards is a good way to put me personally on the fast track to enjoying a match. I guess some people can't abide the indignity of playing against - or god forbid, losing against - something that isn't a "real" deck.

EDIT: I see what Stinky Pit's getting at with the Gran Turismo reference, but I suppose I've been lucky that most unorthodox brews I play against have been people making honest efforts at winning with unusual cards/decks, rather than "did this all for a laugh" stuff they don't believe in.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 5, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Man, I never realized just how many times I use magiccards.info in any given day until it went down. Hope it's back up soon.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
EDIT: I can't read.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

meanolmrcloud posted:

Perma-steal a Batterskull or Jitte is huge game. Even just having him down makes dropping either a no win situation. Even just having him in your list makes playing either dicey.

Jitte, sure, but I don't think Dave Foley is very good against Batterskull. Even aside from the ability to just take it back into their hand in response, your opponent will still control the Germ token until you pay five mana to equip the 'skull to your own guy.

I don't think he's awful by any means but Stoneforging in something on the end step and just murdering Duck Dodgers with it before his next turn seems like something that'd happen a lot.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Those puzzles were my favorite part of DOTP, and I'd love more of them, whether through DOTP or even better, a feature on Wizards' or some other site. It's probably amount the most niche content they could possibly do, but man, it'd be sweet.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Sorry I don't have better images, but these two just popped up on Japanese Twitter accounts; they're preview cards from Conspiracy and FTV Annihilation, revealed at a Nico Nico Douga event this weekend. Apologies for any translation errors on the Conspiracy one, it's hard to make out.

Breigo, King of Eternity
Legendary Creature - Spirit, 2WU, 2/4
Flying
When ~ does combat damage to a player, exile any number of target nonland permanents you control, then return them to the battlefield under their owners' control.

And the FTV card:

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 27, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's static; the comp rules say "Color identity is established before the game begins" (903.4a). Celestial Dawn won't add White to it, and the non-White player will only be able to make colorless mana off of her new Plains.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RoleModel posted:

SWEET JESUS

That FoW promo is going to be crazy expensive, and the Elesh Norn promo is amazing.

I've already just shelled out for a Hanna pack foil and I have no problems whatsoever with demoting it to a "Whoops-got-Hindered" proxy. The worst part of this announcement? Listening to one of my friends complain that it's underwhelming because it "looks too much like Sydri." :argh:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zorak posted:

Japanese GPs are serious business.

I think this is from last week's first Big Magic Open. Big Magic is a major web/retail store here and with a little boost from SCG, they're trying to get their own Open series off the ground in Japan. Their mascot is a little dude with a blue afro who delivers your Magic cards and a lot of the staff were wearing these wigs all weekend.

Another highlight was a side event with a giant cube they used to play Momir Basic in paper. I'm sorry I couldn't get in on it but watching was a lot of fun.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zorak posted:

According to Happy Mtg it was Grand Prix Shizuoka 2013? It may have been mislabeled though.

Nah, I'm entirely willing to believe I got the event wrong (and still have the Open on the brain). Either way, the Japanese have been really on point with events lately.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I didn't think to ask how many cards they were using, but the box that held the whole enterprise was about the length and width of a square card table.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

JerryLee posted:

Incorrect! Any human can become a 12/12 simply by lifting enough weights. Clearly Hercules just isn't as swole as he's made out to be. :pseudo:

This card is an amazing mystery to me, flavor-wise. Okay, so it's a dude who did a bunch of curls on just one arm, so that one arm got swole as gently caress. So far, so good. Then you notice the human in the lower left and realize it's a (formerly) scrawny, weakling giant doing the curls.

And what's the human's story? Is that his rock? Why does he want the rock back badly enough to disturb an exercising giant? Or - and this is what I've chosen to believe - is he the giant's spotter?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

change my name posted:

Someone in the comments pointed it out, he's holding up 3 fingers; so yeah, he is spotting the giant.

Oh, dang, yeah, that's a lot easier to see on a larger scan of the card than the one on Gatherer. Amazing.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

mango sentinel posted:

Poor man's Force of Will for counter wars, counters some combos.

Also, very little in Legacy feels worse than having your Abrupt Decay Misdirected.

For some reason whenever I see the new art, I can't help but see David Schwimmer.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It does and you can.

EDIT: Too slow!

And ouch, yeah, thankfully that's never happened to me... yet.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There were only five Ice Age cards printed in Japanese (as a promotional thing) and Scaled Wurm wasn't one of them. Japan did get 5th, 6th and 9th editions, but Conspiracy will be the first black-bordered Japanese printing of Scaled Wurm. This is noteworthy because it's sort of a meme among some Japanese players, like Storm Crow is with the MTG reddit crowd.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zorak posted:

Is there a particular reason behind the Scaled Wurm obsession? I've never quite got the joke.

I think it's mostly because it's just the sort of big dumb vanilla creature with a cool dragon in the art that kids and new players would think was awesome. If there's more to the meme than "it's funny because we're acting like something that isn't particularly special is overpowered," I dunno what it is. It's their "reprint Storm Crow"/"Honey Badger don't care."

I remember Scaled Wurm's art was one of the big faces of MTG when I was a kid and it was all over store displays, magazine ads, page-a-day calendars, etc. - but Japan never got a localized Ice Age release so that probably didn't contribute.

EDIT: Oh wow, I am so tempted to buy this. I cut all my favorite illustrations out of this and glued them all over my trade binder/school Trapper Keeper. I was a really cool 11-year-old.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 3, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

JerryLee posted:

I realize it's a matter of taste but from where I sit, Jund calling Dredge boring is the epitome of :ironicat:.

I play both decks and I kind of appreciate how one of them is mono-good cards and the other is mostly jank that only really works in its exact configuration.

Jund is exciting to me now but that's probably because I've been giving it a shot after months of jamming various Chalice Loam decks and I'm relearning how much fun it is to cast one-drops. The jury's still out on whether it's more fun than knowing your opponent is holding a bunch of one-drops she can't cast, though.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
You guys are making me jealous - due to a shipping problem (at least that's what the shop guy told me) Japan isn't getting English Conspiracy packs until the 20th. Wouldn't bother me to use what we do have (a valid excuse to dig for Japanese chase foils and squirrel tokens while playing?) but a lot of my playgroup would be put off.

Some of us did play multiplayer one-pack drafts and had a blast with that though. Turns out two Compulsive Researches and the Conspiracy that lets you draw a card when you cast a named spell is just about the best thing you can hope for in a Pack Wars-y situation.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Angry Grimace posted:

How good is Legacy Dredge anyways? Its completely format warping in Vintage, but I don't know much about the deck in Legacy since I don't even know how it would work without Bazaar.

It's a solid deck. In Legacy there are two main versions, one that runs LEDs and lands (including Cephalid Coliseum as sort of a "No Bazaar, huh? What else ya got?") and one that runs zero or almost-zero lands that goes off with an end-of-turn discard. There are a few variations within each of those, but those are the main two. Even without Bazaar it's still one of the most potentially explosive decks in the format, but it is weak to hate. The plus side is that unlike Vintage where everyone is ready to deal with Dredge, in Legacy metagames it tends to wax and wane so if you bring it while nobody's expecting much of it, it can do very well.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
True. At least some of the builds can be consistent and grindy enough to succeed in spite of the hate, though a lot of Legacy dredge deckbuilding seems to boil down to a conscious choice of which piece of hate you want to be soft to this week. Until recently I was playing Hollywood's "Blue Manaless," which was a lot of fun - mostly watching opponents mull to hate in game two, only to get it countered by a Force of Will that isn't supposed to be in manaless dredge - until people figured out that there is literally nothing it can do about a turn-0 Leyline of the Void. Nowadays I'm back to LEDs when I get the urge to dredge.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

vOv posted:

I don't mind 'obvious' deck names as long as they're at least a little interesting like 'Omni-Tell' or 'Sneak and Show'. 'RUG Delver' is just the most boring thing imaginable; you couldn't even call it 'Bug in a RUG'?

"Omni-Tell" is good but I've always kinda wished it was "Show & Know" or "Know & Tell."

I like "Bug in a RUG" but it would probably confuse some people who would mix it up with BUG Delver. Speaking of BUG though, it's always fun when you find out that half your playgroup had been thinking of RWU whenever the other half mentioned "Team America" for a span of months. We didn't notice the confusion until one of them questioned the wisdom of splashing for double-B Hymn. Whoops.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I was a member on and off for a while. A lot of the paywall articles are pretty good and the forums are nice enough - usually dedicated topics for specific cards, which can be useful, and everyone's paying to be there, which keeps things at least well-intentioned. I stopped when I realized that, though it had made my time on MODO more attractive (if not incredibly profitable), I just wasn't getting nearly my money's worth out of the subscription. It seemed like something that could be worthwhile if you're able to move a lot of cards, but dabblers like myself aren't really the target audience.

Unfortunately these days it seems like more and more of the free content has shifted over to "here's something we found on Reddit submitted with minimal comment," which does not do much to make me consider paying for the site again.

EDIT: I imagine any theoretical Aaron Forsythe chuckles would come from just watching a paywalled messageboard dedicated to getting better at guessing about stuff that he's already finished working on.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I would happily pay twice as much as DotP costs for a game that's 100% puzzles, and in case anyone from Wizards is listening, I'm sure like six other people would too.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

neetengie posted:

Also, Use KMC's Hyper Matte's for sleeves. Great stuff.

These are pretty much the only sleeves I use and I'm probably more excited than I should be that they just came out with dark green ones.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Veyrall posted:

Wait, looks like Phyrexia Soul only has deliberate callbacks to Elesh Norn, and the rest of it was me imagining things.

Last we heard, Elesh Norn and her Orthodoxy are decidedly the top dogs over there, so it's probably a fair assumption that pointy alabaster headplates are all the rage across New Phyrexia this season.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 15, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Prism posted:

I'll buy that. I didn't recognize the verb, but recognized 'feather', and then google searched "ばたき" (without 羽 even) and got feather dusters, so I figured it was just a thing.

I did know about the Noble/Aristocrat thing but wasn't sure if they had other odd names. I don't read Japanese clearly enough to tell. (I know some of the German ones are really fun to say, though.)

One of the ones I remember off the top of my head is that Gifts Ungiven's Japanese name (けちな贈り物) translates to "Miserly Gift." So, y'know, it's given, it's just a crappy present.

"Oh, uh... another Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn. How... thoughtful. Thank you."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

whydirt posted:

My biggest complaint with modern card art is that it's often too detailed or busy for the size of the image.

I didn't realize Supreme Verdict wasn't a giant laser shooting down from the sky until this past week when I compared it to the buy-a-box promo art and looked really closely.

Angry Grimace posted:

Why is it that people hate the art on LOTV?

Her shoulders, breasts and hips are all pointing in the sexiest possible individual directions, independently of each other. It catches extra hate for it for being used as a face of the game - life-sized stickers of it on game store doors, etc.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 23, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, they definitely put the worst Liliana art on the best Liliana card, which is a bummer in addition to her severe case of Comic Book Spine.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

kizudarake posted:

Holy poo poo, don't be the guy with the 12 year old anime chick on your sleeves.

My niece plays, and she's 11.

The hypothetical you may love you some lolis, but do you seriously have to put them on everything you own?

The question remains: do I teach her how to steal wins by calling a judge over anime boob alters?

I've seen some pretty heinous anime sleeves in my time, but there's a world of difference between the ones LaTex Fetish linked and the sort of sleeves that would be anything to call a judge over/worry about a kid seeing. I think we're all capable of exercising judgement and obviously the best judgement call is

neetengie posted:

using touhou sleeves.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ultima66 posted:

FYI Pokemon TCG tournaments only allow cards in the language that the tournament is hosted in. That said, that game is made for little kids, so they want everyone to be able to read all the cards. Also, Japanese cards have different card backs from English cards for whatever reason.

Japanese card sets were (still are?) also released well ahead of their English releases, too, so they probably didn't want to go anywhere near that can of worms. Probably mostly the "little kids" thing, though.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Я погано Магія гравець.

私は下手なマジック選手です。

I think either would have been fine.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use 選手/senshu ("player," like on a sports team) to refer to a Magic player before but if we combine our efforts we can get it started tonight

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Boxman posted:

I'm curious if any filthy Americans (or anyone, but we're usually worse about languages) has experience playing in a casual environment in a language they don't know. How does that work? Like when the guy sitting across from you is playing mono black devotion you're obviously going to be okay, but what did you do when you played against a brew? Hope someone can translate names? Keep magiccards.info up? How about when you sit down with a brew?

On one hand it seems like a waste spending a night in a foreign country playing a card game, but on the other hand making the game work seems like it'd be sorta fun.

Dungeon Ecology covered this really well already (and is in the exact same situation I was in until a year or so ago, I live in an urban area now), but I just want to add that, at least based on my experience, it's not a waste at all. If you're only visiting for a very short time you'll probably have other priorities, but I think visiting a foreign FNM or something can be a lot of fun, to the point that I'd strongly consider bringing a deck along on a trip just in case. Even in Japan, which admittedly earns its reputation for being reticent around foreigners, I've met a lot more enthusiasm and interest than I ever expected. (And incidentally, if anyone's visiting Osaka and has a free Thursday or Friday, come by a Legacy night! We usually get a good handful of people and a growing number of expats showing up.)

As far as brews/unknown cards go, I've never had any issues at all with looking up cards (at casual levels) or just calling for a judge. Players and judges may not speak English, but most people speak Magic English pretty decently, and they'll know what you need if you ask to check a card in English. Hell, even if you ask your opponent if they know a card's English name, nine times out of ten they do. The whole talk a few pages back about card languages completely baffles me; I've never seen anyone outside of America consider it to be something worth commenting on. It's a total non-issue.

kizudarake posted:

One of the main things that annoy me are the anime titty sleeves and playmats. Holy poo poo, jerk off at home on your own time.

This is entirely anecdotal, but from what I hear online about this poo poo back in the States, apparently far more MTG players use these abroad than over here (where they are sold by a lot of game shops). I can count on one hand the times I've sat down across from an opponent that had really egregious sleeves in years of playing here, with fingers left over. It probably helps that there are a ton of CCGs on the Japanese market, and most of the players that would use those sleeves play one of the several games with anime licenses, rather than Magic.

It may also be that everyone knows their sexy anime sleeves will never be half as sexy as MY sexy anime sleeves.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Molybdenum posted:

Where do I get those sleeves?

Where are they?!

You can try Japanese Amazon or this shop, which has them for cheaper, but I've never ordered anything from them before so I can't really vouch for them.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

neetengie posted:

gently caress yes, I'm gonna get those right now! I can vouch for Amiami, they're a good shop, but don't like it when you cancel orders. So when you make a purchase, make sure that's what you really want.

My usual sleeves are Hyper Mattes but I whip these out for large events. I have gotten mostly compliments and smatterings of "wait foreigners know this too?" when I use them. My favorite reaction ever was round one of the Big Magic Open legacy tournament in Yokohama last year, though. This guy dressed in all black sits down, spreads a hand-drawn Nether Void playmat, sets down a leather-bound book and a fountain pen to write life totals, and shuffles up his fancied-up Pox deck. Across the table, I start pile shuffling with closeups of the Yaranaika Guy's face. He never says anything, but his disappointment at my spectacular failure to participate in his fantasy of being a dark wizard is plainly visible.

I don't mean to be like "look at this dork I played against" (though I would not have chosen a Harold McNeill piece for my playmat) - one of my favorite things about legacy is how into their decks people can get - but I definitely felt like I was already dreamcrushing before I'd even beaten him.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 1, 2014

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

LGD posted:

Truly a cost that justifies itself.

In terms of art choices that don't cost any, what is the proper split for Hymn to Tourach? I'm currently using all 4 art pieces from Fallen Empires, with the Scott Kirschner art removed if I'm only playing 3 in my BUG Delver list. I think this is objectively correct, but I'm curious if there are any partisans for the new art, or if there are people who think I should be running Susan Van Camp exclusively (with an accompanying wolf shirt).

I'm an "all four or wolfshirts only" guy myself. Personally I'd cut the Liz Danforth art before the Kirschner art, but really they're all either pretty good or look like a wolfshirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

L0cke17 and Angry Grimace posted:

Jeff Hoogland stuff

I really like him as a deckbuilder and enjoy a lot of his articles (Loam is a pet deck of mine, too, so we have that in common), but geez, that article was almost as embarrassing to read as his recurring Twitter rants about how variance fucks him but not his opponents on MODO.

• Locked thread