Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Favourite from the kiddo days of playing (Revised to Alliances):

Probably didn't see Fallen Empires as the huge letdown it is back then, was just happy with GOBLIN GRENADE in my bad goblins aggro deck. Something so sweet in blasting in 16 points to head with two grenades and two bolts.

Favourite from the modern days of playing (Shards of Alara onwards):

Yeah I know it came out when I was still on my short hiatus from Magic, but I just love the design. It does an interesting, powerful thing, that makes both players make decisions. My kind of card. Yet, I play just limited so only time I've actually resolved Gifts is in a cube draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?

Gray Merchant of Asphodel enters the battlefield. The "When this enters the battlefield..." ability triggers and is put on the stack. Before the ability is resolved, your opponent will have an opportunity to cast instants, for example to remove some creature with black mana symbols from the battlefield (even the Gray Merchant itself). The devotion is checked only when you resolve the ability from the stack.

Edit: If you mean to ask, is there a way of preventing the ETB ability from triggering, you would have to have something like Torpor Orb on the field for it. Or Humility I guess.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 13, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

And Magic just seems to keep on growing.

Worth noting in the end of the presentation that Magic the Gathering is listed as something Hasbro is investing in, in the near future. Dunno if the webcast had more details.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

NofrikinfuN posted:

Wait, you can have more than four copies of something in limited? Has that always been a thing?

A long, long while at least.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Hey it's Magic Online PTQs again: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/02172014/ptqmagic2015

New system in a nutshell:
Each PTQ capped at 256 players, invite only. PTQ preceded by ten preliminary tournaments on the 3-4 days before it. Preliminaries capped at 128 players, five rounds, 4 match wins to qualify for the PTQ. Standard PTQs have Standard preliminaries, Limited PTQs limited preliminaries. Extra staff on hand to oversee events, with more admin tools to handle technical problems with the PTQs.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Stinky Pit posted:

Those aren't fake though, some of those cards were printed.

Come on WAJ, you're the misprint and oddities guy around here you should know better!

Font and the layout makes these look like Jyhad / Vampire: The Eternal Struggle cards to me.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GP Paris results stand, plus more explanation on the DQ before top 8:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/021202014b

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

ungulateman posted:

2) Are we ever going to see four-set blocks like Lorwyn / Shadowmoor again? I loved those blocks and I feel like the four-block format works really well for spreading out the Standard format (also, Kithkin were the best white weenies).

I kind of doubt we see this kind of shake up to the block structure any time soon. The new annual core sets came after Lor/Sha, and the calendar for Wizards is quite nicely packed now around the year with three "expert" sets and a core set each year. Plus now the new sets kinda tie on to the four Pro Tours of the year too. Inside the three annual non-core sets, they can and will mix things up for sure. Theros block is the long due classic, large - small - small style block, after several that were different.

quote:

3) Are mill decks viable in Standard or Modern? I was finagling around with Tome Scour, Archaeomancer and Chronic Flooding after getting some M14/RtR cards but I'd like to know if you can make it work when you're in an actual format.

As such, no. Mill has been a win condition during last Standard in control decks that ran Innistrad card Nephalia Drownyard as a wincon, but straight up "mill deck" as how people general understand that isn't really "viable".

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

How much does everyone's LGS charge for draft? Mine does $12 with prize support of usually a pack per head. They do pretty good business in singles and other games, so I guess they've decided that it's a reasonable price point. I couldn't see any store charging more than $15, though. At that point you might as well go in with a bunch of friends on a booster box and get a TO to sanction the thing.

10€ (~13,80$), rare redraft. Over the counter price for a booster is 4,20€ (5,80$) for a comparison. This in Finland.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

Keeping packs sounds smart, but I'm burnt out on M14. If this bought me 1/4th of a Theros draft, I'd take it.

M14 packs look like they cost more (Supernovabot prices) currently than either Theros or BNG, so sell away.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Pros on twitter are talking about how messed up the software was for the tiebreakers on Day 2. Apparently since they split the event into three "different" events, when they reset everything on Day 2 this made people that were undefeated drop to say 60th place. Kibler is saying the match slips started with round 2. The more I'm reading the more this sounded like a clusterfuck much like Las Vegas had with people going I think 12-1-1 and not getting Top 8. Maybe they need to figure out a new formula for larger events. Would moving it to a Top 16 work better?

I don't think they need a new formula, they just need Event Reporter that can handle this number of people. At the moment, to my understanding the software handles ~2000 player tournaments as maximum. When your day 1 was split to three separate tournaments, you couldn't import the match data from these for day 2 (or have just one day 1 flight) and thus had to start from a clean slate. Which obviously shouldn't be ok.

One of the players was 13-0, the only one such after thirteen rounds, then lost the next two rounds for 13-2 and 13th place because tiebreakers. Salty.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Haha GFab drafted his WR 13-15 land deck? This poo poo is over, wrap it up.

17 lands actually. With a double Celestial Archon and an Ornitharch, not a wonder.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

Are the common print runs that are on MODO the same ones that appear in paper?

Yes.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

En Fuego posted:

Plenty are disputing your claim in the FB post. At that level, you cannot.

Again, this is according to others.

From DCI Tournament Rules:

quote:

1.11 Spectators
Any person physically present at a tournament and not in any other category above is a spectator. Spectators are responsible for remaining silent and passive during matches and other official tournament sections in which players are also required to be silent. If spectators believe they have observed a rules or policy violation, they are encouraged to alert a judge as soon as possible. At Regular or Competitive REL, spectators are permitted to ask the players to pause the match while they alert a judge. At Professional REL, spectators must not interfere with the match directly

IIRC GP day 2 is Professional REL.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Myriad Truths posted:

Huh, so it is. Okay, I'm pretty happy about that change even though it's a little surprising.

It is surprising that a set's prerelease event has more than one pack of said set in each player's pool?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Konstantin posted:

It's interesting, but I really think it should be uncommon rather than rare. I don't see this going anywhere near constructed play, and it's not that high a pick in Limited, especially since JIN will be opened first so you won't know if you will end up with a lot of Heroic cards.

It's really drat good in limited, I think I'd happily first pick it in a full block draft. You don't need Heroic for it, you just need guys. The potential for big swing, 2 for 1 or better from it is pretty big, and the only requirement really is that you have some guys on board. It has near Plague Wind level potential if the board is even, because the small boost puts your guys just that one bit over the top so you can snap up the now smaller opponent creatures. Or just trade up at your leisure. And as you're likely green with it, you're likely to have bigger guys than the other player anyway. That it targets several guys mitigates a lot of the risk inherent with the single target fight spells, and it's Instant to boot.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

MrBling posted:

It was miserable in limited. Probably because Avacyn Restored was the worst set for limited in a long time.

Oh you have an uncommon four drop creature? Guess I can't win now because there's no loving removal in this set.

I think it was more due to the scarcity of the removal, than Soulbond the mechanic. I though many of the Soulbond guys like Wingcrafter, Tandem Lookout, Nightshade Peddler were pretty sweet as such, and in a "more normal" format their power relative to the risk of playing them would have been at a good spot. It was just that together with the dearth of truly reactive cards the few creature P/T boosting guys like Trusted Forcemage and Druid's Familiar could be pretty obscene.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not targeted. The language just says "choose a creature."

We are talking about Twinflame here, right? "Choose any number of target creatures you control" and so on.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Dictate of Heliod is crap. Any deck that wants an Anthem effect will never pay 5 mana for it.

It's a pretty wicked limited rare for sure.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

So if I were to target the entire board with curse of the swine, including Thermatuge, wouldn't Thermatuge become hexproof and life would be incredibly boaring around him?

What does Hexproof mean?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Why couldn't the Elk be Tap for GG? Two mana dork with one toughness? Why would you run this over Voyaging Satyr or Caratid or even Manaswift Sliver?

2cc that ramps for two mana, with a reasonable 2/1 body, at common, would probably be pushing it a bit at limited.

Edit: I mean we've had Joraga Treespeaker so that level of power is definitely printable at common, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with where the Elk is at.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 16, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

So here's a Mack Kayden question.

Why are his hands blood red?

On a gathering storm comes
a tall handsome man
In a dusty black coat with
a red right hand

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Wrote a short prerelease intro if someone is interest, in the Limited thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226&pagenumber=349#post428647057

Mostly about the promos really.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Samael posted:

White wasn't even that good at our store. The first and second had green and red respectively.

Our top 8: black and green at 4-0-1, two black and blue at 4-1, black 3-0-2, and my blue (7th) and first white at 3-2 bracket.

If anything, our feel when discussing this was that black might be the strongest pick overall, if you really want to try and optimize your chances.

But really, six out of eight in that top 8 were the usual suspects who end up there anyway in most prereleases. People focus so much on ~WHAT IS THE OPTIMAL CHOICE IF I WANT TO WIN~ that it's easy to forget that solving the deck building puzzle well and piloting your deck solid counts for so much more than any choice in the start.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Are they required to give out that many packs? I know the total packs given out was 20 for 20~ players.

It's a recommendation in the prerelease kit instructions, and at least here that is what the store actually receives from WOTC to actually distribute as prizes.

quote:

Entry Fee and Prizes
Entry fees may include cost of player product and any additional prize support you wish to offer.
• Decide and announce the prize payout before the tournament begins.
• All free product provided to you must be given out over the course of your Prerelease events. We recommend a prize pool that contains a minimum of 2 boosters per player. You may give out additional Journey Into Nyx booster packs as prizes while your supplies last.
• We encourage you to add on other non-Journey Into Nyx prize support at your own discretion.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Deckit posted:

My big note is that Thassa's Ire is god drat amazing and I will pick it up in draft whether I am in blue or not. U for an enchantment, 3U: tap or untap any creature. Saved my rear end a lot.

I think it is way too slow and mana intensive to generally play in draft, in sealed I might try it but even still with hesitation.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Theros limited is mostly about one super dude vs another super dude. Being able to keep that opponent's super dude locked down is a huge tempo swing. Try it out.

Requiring to commit a whole lot of mana on locking down that opponent creature, while opponent can still develop his board around it, is to me the issue. Yes, a tapper is very good in the environment. Which is why Akroan Mastiff is very solid here, when generally 4cc tapper might be bit looked down on. The difference is all in the activation cost of 1 vs 4.

I can see it being fine very late in the game, when you're starting to play from the top of your deck and have enough mana for two activations or one + most of your plays you can draw from the deck. Getting comfortably here in draft is not given I think.

Besides I think that is a big oversimplification on how Theros limited plays down. It's isn't simply battlecruiser crashing against battlecruiser.

LSV seems to be even harsher on it than me:

quote:

Limited: 1.0

Paying four mana for vigilance is absurd, and paying that much to lock a creature down is not much better. Thassa a bad deal, and not one you can agree to if you want to win games.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think the big issue is sealed pools. There's no store around here that runs sealed events with any regularity. I'm a pretty good booster draft player, but sealed is a completely different animal.

If you're willing to practice in MTGO, Born of the Gods release events start at 17th, and they're pretty much the best value sealed events around online. (This is to say: still not terribly good value...)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

uggy posted:

like gently caress of course it's overcosted and won't see constructed play. same with a lot of other awesome cards in limited

No one here has been even talking about it in constructed.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

I took this as less of a bitch/whine and more of a cautionary tale about speculation.

Same. I didn't read any bitch/whine on it honestly. Reasonable article.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

How's Shadowmoor/Eventide to draft?

To my understanding: draft monocolor erryday.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Quick get in these events everyone!
So uh, stupid question. I can sign out once I'm in the events, right? Or do I hope I don't crash in the next few days.

Yes, you will remain signed on them.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

Does Burning Tree Emissary count as 4 devotion for Xenagod? I can't find a legal source on it to show a friend.

From BNG FAQ:

quote:

Your devotion to two colors is equal to the number of mana symbols that are the first color, the second color, or both colors among the mana costs of permanents you control. Specifically, a hybrid mana symbol counts only once toward your devotion to its two colors. For example, if the only nonland permanents you control are Xenagos, God of Revels and Rubblebelt Raiders (whose mana cost is 1 ManaRed or Green ManaRed or Green ManaRed or Green Mana), your devotion to red and green is five.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I was looking to get into MTGO, just for the sake of Limited practice. Would the Prerelease weekend be a good time to join in so that I get some cards from Theros to start brewing with as well?

Prerelease weekend itself is not the best possible time, as prerelease sealed events online are pretty terrible value unless you really want to play the new set right now. But after the prerelease weekend, once the two weeks of release events starts, you have very nice and good valua release sealed events to play which are perfect for both limited practice and getting cards.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Actually, as of Theros, the release events are way worse EV than they used to be, and maybe even worse than daily events.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/09162013

They already went back to almost the old release events prize / payout with the Born of the Gods release events. Clearly the changes didn't work out.

For BNG release events and the upcoming JOU release events, 16 player release sealed is 26 tix to enter, 12-9-3 packs of prizes for 4-3-2 match wins. M14 release events (and the events for several years before it) were 24 tix to enter, 13-8-3 packs of prizes.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does any competitive magic get played in super Standard? I thought I remembered no GPTs in it. Might look at moving my Muravaults by then.

Well, PT Magic 2015 is certainly competitive, if not something that will move your Mutavaults. :shobon:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I prefer pile of D6s for FNM and pub drafts over pen and paper.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

My issue with EDH really boils down to Magic not just being a game I want to play with more than two sides. It just doesn't click for me like that. 2HG, Emperor I'm just fine with, but even back in 1995 I just didn't like those free for all bashes and it hasn't changed. One of the reasons being that Jyhad / V:TES was out and we played it too, and it unsurprisingly made for a better multiplayer game.

I'd like playing a highlander format for 1v1 without Commander shenanigans, sadly German highlander has quieted down a lot back here after EDH / Commander became more popular.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah, for once I'm thinking I want to just get a box of Conspiracy to draft with buddies. Plenty of beer, no prizes or any poo poo like that, just draft and a couple of multiplayer rounds of banter and Conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Elyv posted:

Worldknit seems really fun but bad, you have to play all your 14th picks and stuff

Need to live the Worldknit into Cogwork Grinder dream!

• Locked thread