Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did they change the rules for Uniques being pullsif two players play the same unique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Boco_T posted:

Just put in an order for Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrodelf cycle, excited to find a thread with a lot of LotR LCG talk. I have been buying the expansions slowly for about a year and a half now and I get a bug every month or two and play a bunch.

For the Core Set I went on eBay and got a parted out "get up to 3 of each" auction so it cost about the same as getting a 2nd core set but I didn't have to get a big pile of Sauron cards I wasn't going to need. I also get FFS05 sleeves for all the cards, but in general getting them from CoolStuffInc is a good deal because they sell the major expansions for $20 and the adventure packs for $10.

Does anybody have a good solution for storing sleeved cards? I have them in regular card boxes but you have to put them at an angle and so you can't store as many in a box and it looks weird and bad.

Regular 200/400/600/800 count card boxes available from your FLGS or through CSI should hold sleeved cards fine. As for storing all cards sleeved, I suggest against it. Even Ultrapro Matte Perfect Fits have variance in size and color between runs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

djfooboo posted:

So should I get into Doomtown:Reloaded? BGG seems excited, but they have burnt me before.

LOVE: Netrunner, LoTR LCG

Like: Warhammer LCG, MtG, Summoner Wars

Dislike: Star Wars LCG, Mage Wars

It checks all the right boxes by me and my like list is pretty similar.

My big concern is lack of trust for AEG to balance anything after riding the L5R roller coaster. A concern which is largely ameliorated by the fixed nature of card release.

Hell if AEG suddenly started releasing "L5R - Lotus Edition Fixed Card Game" I'd probably jump in line.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

An article on Game Trade Magazine reveals Necrons and Tyranids will come out in a future expansion for WHC.

Necrons will be able to steal units from any faction in the alignment wheel (whatever that means), and Tyranids remain outside the alignment wheel and can't include any other factions in their deck.

Not really all that crazy about the alignment wheel mechanic myself from what we've seen so far, but good to see they didn't leave anyone out.

Isn't the alignment wheel their way of saying "Faction X can run units from Factions W and Y but not Z?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I'm asking this here since more people here probably use OCTGN rather than the Boardgames thread. Has anyone played that game they are pushing in OCTGN chat, The Spoils. Here is the URL for the game: The Spoils.

The Spoils is an old CCG, surprised they're pushing it. I took one of the big money tourneys in it a long time ago but only because it was sealed and I had an absolutely _stupid_ sealed pool.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

This kind of obvious money grab is really kind of lovely, and is getting old after people have been complaining about it since the first LCG releases. I wish that more companies would do something like they did with Mage Wars, and just release something akin to the Core Spell Tome, since they know people don't need more sets of counters and rulebooks, and just want the cards.

At the same time, a majority of players will never buy more than a single core set. FFG has stated time and time again that their main concern with core sets is having playable decks right out of the box while keeping the price at their sweet spot.

Would you rather they release a core set with 1/3rd of the cards for WH40K Conquest and without viable decks that showcase the game or a core box with a $99+ MSRP?

That said, the Netrunner core set could have made those 1-ofs into 2-ofs and made 11 3-ofs into 2-ofs and been fine. They've at least learned from ANR's release that a third core set for all of 11 cards is a bit nutters.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 13, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

Apparently Upper Deck have released Vs System as an LCG at Gencon.

No hype, no details available. It's just out.

Strikes as a crazy way to release a game.

Wait they released it? I thought it was only being announced.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

omnibobb posted:

Per a boardgamegeek thread, someone confirmed with FFG that they own all rights to "Living Card Game"/"LCG" and they have not licensed or given out use to anyone.

Poor Vs...

Upper Deck Entertainment has never been the greatest company in terms of legalese or player communication.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any word whether Upper Deck has been C&D'd over the rerelease of Vs. with the LCG line?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
When is the street date for Conquest anyways?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Blister packs are also more shrink resistant and necessary if they ever expand distribution beyond game stores.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does the LOTR core box have enough for 3-4 players before I decide to go whole hog and get 3x cores?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought the first big box would have both.

I honestly hope not. If you're releasing a new faction, especially if it's something like Tyranids who CANNOT get tools from other factions, you want them to have a lot of support in that one purchase.

For comparison, imagine if no set of magic had more than two slivers. They synergize with one another but you'd never see them played unless they were drastically undercosted and degenerate.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What does Headquarters Action on Calamity mean?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The fact the SM card is hiding only one or two words combined with 'until end of phase' is really throwing me off. It can't be 'a battle,' nor 'no battle' because it doesn't specify not first planet. It can't really have anything to do with command struggle due to timing windows.

Could it be initiative? It must be.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It could be +2 (or whatever number) "Hammer-Icon"? Pump some Librarian powered command into a struggle?
Also anyone else trying to come up with cool Tyranid/Necron stuff already? If the first Tyranid Warlord doesn't get a once-per-phase discard-unit-and-gain-printed-cost support I'll be sad.

Can't be anything to do with the Command Struggle due to there being no action windows in the Command Phase before the struggle is resolved.

The _only_ thing that makes any lick of sense to me is you gain initiative.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I just assumed Tyranids would be slivers, in that they give bonuses to all tyranids (on a planet).

Right, but big bad momma sliver Tyranid should have a "Discard a Tyranid Unit from your hand: Big Bad Momma gains a keyword OR an activated ability OR attack bonus equal to the discarded card's attack. This lasts until end of phase use this ability only once per phase. Surprise mutation funtimes.

Now shrink it down to fit in a warlord's box.

Actually "Big Bad Momma Sliver Tyranid has all keywords, traits, and activated abilities of the topmost Tyranid unit in your discard" would work.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 7, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Blamestorm posted:

I also think Conquest maybe didn't need to have as many factions as it did, at least initially. I wonder it they considered multiple starter core sets with different factions but more card support.

I don't see how they could cut a faction and bring it in later given the loyalty wheel. The two exceptions interact with the wheel in a wholely different way.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I really wish there was a good card game 101 primer because this comes up in EVERY card game. "Look at top X, draw 1, discard/bottom of deck the others" is strictly better than "draw 1." Yes, there are times you'll see multiple cards you want right now, but the difference between it being in that batch and already being at the bottom is simple. Now you KNOW you aren't drawing it anytime soon and can plan accordingly.

This, and "but what if I mill my opponent's good card!!!" Bog down every thread.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Pack it in folks, we've got a good old ostrich here.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Just to confirm combat only occurs on a planet with a boss.

And the first planet. So there can be up to 3 battles per turn. Unless I am drastically mistaken.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

goodness posted:

What would be the best LCG to pick up for solo play. Also great if there is a way to play it on the computer.

The only LCG you can play solo is LOTR, as all other LCGs are competitive rather than cooperative.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Rules question for conquest

When a combat round is starting over, your units that are exhausted become ready, do ranged go first again?
So range, actions, melee, actions till everyone exhausted. Retreat if you want to then... Repeat and start over

Or

Range, actions, melee, actions. Retreat If you want to
Melee and actions. Over and over and ranged people are treated like normal

Ranged only happens once, so the latter.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Azran posted:

Guardian Mesh Armor reminds me how much nerds freak out with regards to those cards. "WHY IS THE GODWYN PATTERN BOLTER AN EQUIPMENT CARD" has been a complaint I've heard A LOT on OCTGN.

Because they're seemingly underpowered or lore reasons?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's likely we'll see only 1 or even no Warlord per pack (well down the line), especially after we get 3--4 Warlords per faction.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

admanb posted:

'Nids get zero access to neutrals.

Source?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I really, really doubt they're going to go through all these thematic justifications for why they aren't on the alignment wheel only to turn around and say "yeah the tyranids can just hire a bunch of pirates and rogue traders no problem".

'Nids with tricorn hats.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Now if only Warhammer 40k hadn't so blatantly ripped off StarCraft...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Good lord, Shadow Field. That thing basically nullifies about 75% of most decks.

I'm glad that Chaos is getting more "big unit" support. I'd really like to see Elites becoming more viable in general, but that could just be the Timmy in me speaking. I'm still waiting for Tau to get some more/better units. I feel as if Fire Caste Grenadiers needs at least 1 command icon or 1 more HP to be viable, otherwise, eh.

Remember Shadow Field won't protect against tokens, Warlords, and non-unit damage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Put 1 in every deck unless you're extremely heavy on the faction mixing. At worst it saves you no money (and doesn't cost you anything - it breaks even on the turn you play it if you have even 1 unit of that faction to play as well) and stalls for one turn. At best it saves you tons of money and stalls for one turn. Probably it's going to save you a little money and stall for one turn.

At worst it's a card that could have been something to help you win. Opportunity cost of the card is a big deal in card games.

Edit: Wait, you're the guy who ranted on and on about how "Search X cards and place the rest on the bottom" was a terrible mechanic.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 2, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
In LotR can you attack with 0 characters? Had a situation arise where a player killed a monster, then wanted to contribute ranged damage to another player who had only exhausted units.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Ranged characters can attack other players's enemies during their owner's turn so as long as it was still that player's turn it should have been fine :)

I thought a player could only attack one enemy per round?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Each enemy may only be attacked once per round.

Ahhh, thank you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Thanks for the quick responses. We played the second scenario with three starter decks (all but lore).

First flip had 2 Hill Giants. Last two cards flipped in the ambush were 2 Hill Giants.

Quickly realized that Forest Snare was a good card. We survived though.

If we complete a quest during the combat step (from Legolas (Core)'s ability) and the next step would flip more cards than there are left in the encounter deck, do we shuffle the discard back?

And finally, Thalin vs. Eastern Crows. We ended up with Thalin committed to the quest and a deck that consisted of nothing but Eastern Crows. After three reveals in a row we checked it to confirm and then shuffled the discard in but would love to know what we should have done.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Did we ever identify an alternative source for those artist boxes? There's no Hobby Lobby nearby and I wouldn't support them if there were.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have a good set of 4 decks out of 2 cores for LotR? Have no idea what to do when it comes to deckbuilding.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If I attack with Dain Ironfoot (printed attack of 2) and another dwarf who has a printed attack of 2, would I deal 6 or 4 damage?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
While I perfectly understand the design mentality of Core Sets being introductory, I'd really love it if they'd make everything a 2-3x. For ANR the third core set is for only 7 cards, but of those 7 you want 3-4 in triplicate when you run them. LotR is a third core for again 7 cards (11 if you're wanting Gandalfs for 4 players).

Conquest made sense because almost everything was a 1-of, and it was nice to only need 2-of for SWLCG.

Though from a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense to make heavy investors buy 3 cores (they were already going to buy 2).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

With 8 factions, and the need to throw in cards from a 2nd house just to make a legal deck out of the core, I would assume the AGoT core set will resemble Conquest far more than ANR.

Yeah, unless they really minimize the card pool or have a lot of neutrals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MisterShine posted:

I'm fine with not having to rebuild my entire deck every data pack

The risk is going too far the other way. StarWars LCG has incredibly bursty jumps in meta.