Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Flesh Forge posted:

I haven't read this comic but I get the running visual ambiguity that Wolf may or may not have a mouth. That's pretty neat.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

redbackground posted:

You forget that in the comic world, Japan's main exports are 1) martial artists and 2) more martial artists.

3) Giant monsters
4) Giant robots

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

First Bass posted:

Some context for Thor vs. Galactus? Who won, anyways?

It's thousands of years in the future, Thor is older, wiser, has a metal arm and is king of Asgard. He's visiting the (long dead) Earth when Galactus shows up to eat it and be a dick. They fight. Winner to be determined in a future issue. Read God of Thunder.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

redbackground posted:

I love that in the Marvel multiverse, there are countless and ever-varied iterations of Galactus, a living force of nature set on correcting the imbalances between Eternity and Death, yet only one Mojo.

Mojo was smart enough to copyright his likeness and takes aggressive legal action to prevent dilution of the brand.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 7, 2014

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
What do you expect in this economy? Two Apaches are cheaper than 40 jetpacks.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As much as I love that scene - and pretty much every issue of Ostrander's Suicide Squad - I have to admit, what caps it for me is Count Vertigo being all "wait a second if all the peasants jump out of the plane I'll have to carry my own bags this is unacceptable."

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The highest praise I can give this run of Moon Knight is that it feels like at any moment it could segue into a crossover with Planetary, and I would be totally okay with it.

Maybe he'll go fight the Fantastic Four at some point.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Waterhaul posted:

I presume Tony is supposed to be acting like a psychopath in the scene. It's Gillen so I'd presume he threw in the "bored now" quote for a reason.

You should read the last couple of issues because it's good stuff, but the short version is this:

The Mandarin's Rings are flying around and looking for people who hate or mildly dislike Tony Stark, then brainwashing them to really really hate him.
Malekith, King of the Dark Elves, gets his hands on a ring, but being a dark elf he isn't really impressed with a mind controlling magic ring and decides to collect the rest of the set by hunting down and killing the rest of the Mandarin Corps.
Dark Elves aren't the tall pale dudes from Lord of the Rings, they're the "kidnapping children" version of fairy-tale elves.
Tony tries to sneak into Svartalfheim in a carbon fiber stealth suit (because iron would set off all sorts of magical alarms).
The Stealth mission goes badly and Tony ends up with a hole burned through his shoulder, being chased through the woods by a bunch of sadistic elves who are making fun of his parents, and decides to call in his specially designed Elf-hunting armor which brings us to the current issue.

Tony's pissed off and injured, his original exit strategy is gone and he can't call Thor for help because "Asgardian Politics" or something so he's stuck there until he can find a way to magic himself home. To paraphrase Thor: God of Thunder, Dark Elves only respect people they fear. So if Tony doesn't want to get hunted down and murdered, he has to play the monster in this story.

Also elves are jerks in almost every setting and it's nice to see them taken down a peg or two.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Boogaleeboo posted:

I have problems pretending Thor isn't a joke in the face of truly cosmic threats. Dude eats planets, you are a pissant God of a religion that died out the second it made serious contact with the outside world. You don't rate, stop pretending you are cool.

It's true that the Norse religion fell on hard times for a few centuries, but Thor has spent the past several decades flying around the universe kicking rear end and spreading the good word. There are probably entire planets worshiping him at this point.

From Infinity:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Don't forget Exiles.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

OldTennisCourt posted:

Isn't Franklin Richards the most powerful being in the Marvel universe? Essentially his mutant power is the ability to completely remake reality IIRC.

There are a surprising number of mutants with similar abilities, but most of them go completely insane as a result of having that much power. Franklin Richards is probably the most powerful (mostly) sane person in the Marvel Universe.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

muscles like this? posted:

The Infinity event also has a really badass Thor moment when he convinces the Kree to fight back against the Builders.

Avulsion posted:

It's true that the Norse religion fell on hard times for a few centuries, but Thor has spent the past several decades flying around the universe kicking rear end and spreading the good word. There are probably entire planets worshiping him at this point.

From Infinity:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Boogaleeboo posted:

He did jump to the Earth from the Moon in the space of about an instant, so he's still nothing to sneeze at.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Most mutants are just omega level reality warpers with inferiority complexes who think they can only do one thing. Their powers work exactly how they think they should, and their strength is inversely proportional to how much time they spent in a school system that actually teaches science before getting indoctrinated into Xavier's paramilitary academy.

Magneto could probably manipulate plastic if you painted it chrome and told him it was steel.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

IUG posted:

Then how about all the times that Magneto tried to steal a gun away from someone pointing it at him, only to find that it was a plastic gun?

That was a Xorn clone possessed by an alternate dimension Cassandra Nova.

Also, was the gun painted chrome?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Titanium is actually quite flexible. I had my tibia reconstructed with a titanium rod through the marrow, and before the bone grew back around it my shin would flex and bend when I lifted my leg.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that "Titanium Man" doesn't refer to the suit, but the guy inside it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Kill Six Billion Demons

Reach heaven through violence

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The best part of civil war was when Nova came back to earth after saving the universe and Tony had to tell him what he had missed.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nilbop posted:

Is Prometheus ... somebody? I've never heard of him before or since JLA/Avengers, but I don't read DC a lot.

But yeah, JLA/Avengers was what got me into comics in the first-place. It's really old school, and has got a ton of better-off-dead characters that Busiek has a soft-spot for like Jack of Hearts and Triathlon, but only as cameos. Most of it is really, really good fun.

He's evil Batman, only instead of spending years learning kung-fu he just loads his opponent's combat abilities onto a CD and jams it into his helmet.

In their first encounter, he beat up Batman. In their second encounter Batman sabotaged his helmet to give him the combat skills of Stephen Hawking. After that it was kind of hard to take him seriously as a threat.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Punisher MAX was a great book not because of the excessive violence, but because of how well it conveyed the concept that Frank Castle is not a Hero. He's a monster every bit as bad as the people he kills, sometimes worse. Killing bad guys doesn't make him one of the good guys.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Johnny Aztec posted:

So wait, he was close enough to react to a nuke going off, but not enough to prevent the bomb at all?

Flash can't fly.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Given how easy it is to fly across the universe in comic books, I'm just going to assume they raised the speed of light at some point.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't see it?

He quoted the wrong page:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The speed of light in the DC Universe is faster than in the real world. There, problem solved. Now shut up and post some panels.

Secret Wars #1, 616 vs Ultimate Universe

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yes, I can see everything past your first sentence. :\ that is all clearly in the panels.
Why are these universes colliding? I mean, hulk knocks over buildings all the time. Not really something new.

It's part of Hickman's Avengers arc that's been going on for several years at this point. The multiverse is collapsing, two universes collide with each other and either one is destroyed or both are. Then, after you've murdered a few billion people to save everyone you know and love, you hit the next universe in the line and have to do it all over again.

This is the end, only 616 and the Ultimate Universe remain. Everyone dies.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, didn't we already do that plot point with Actually Nice Kid Loki? I don't follow those comics, so I'm confused.

Identity issues are a recurring theme for Lokis. Recurring themes are also a recurring theme for Norse gods in general.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Heresiarch posted:

Having Snow defeat the most powerful members of the Four before they can do anything by using what was essentially an archaeological ambush seemed to me like the perfect way to show Snow's better understanding of his role as a rescuer of secrets, as well as the perfect comeuppance for Randall "I know everything" Downling.

Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it sixty-five million years ago.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Toshimo posted:

This scene always bothered me because the resolution to the God Butcher arc was supposed to be that everyone forgot it.

Magic.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Frank has friends supporters in the military and law enforcement who give him access to armories and evidence lockers.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

redstormpopcorn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's also made a habit of snagging dead mobster wallets and cashing out their bank accounts.

That's how he pays for all of his safehouses, vehicles, and MREs, but I can't really see him buying illegal firearms and not killing the dealer.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Avulsion posted:

Punisher MAX was a great book not because of the excessive violence, but because of how well it conveyed the concept that Frank Castle is not a Hero. He's a monster every bit as bad as the people he kills, sometimes worse. Killing bad guys doesn't make him one of the good guys.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lurdiak posted:

If you've ever watched an "open weight" MMA competition, you know that short people actually do get their asses beat in fights with big guys.

I don't pretend to know anything about fighting but I imagine that there's a difference between trained MMA fighters and random mooks on the street.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Horrible Taste posted:

The main CW mini also had Iron Man make a lobotomised clone of one of his best friends and then continue to use the clone even after it murdered another hero. And his side responded to a teenage hero breaking up a mugging by attacking him with a helicopter.

I liked it when they conscripted a bunch of kids and told them they either had to kill people for the government or be crippled via nanomachines, but that was mostly because of Taskmaster and Ant-Man being the laziest heroes ever.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Image had a series called Bedlam, about a Joker knock-off who got de-evilified by some mad scientist. He's still sort of crazy, but he feels bad about what he did and tries to help the police make sense of all the crazies who showed up after he "died." If you like seeing a depressed, burnt out headcase stumble around solving crimes, give it a shot.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Milotic posted:

Fantastic Four #587. The bonds between the four have been undergoing great strain recently, as many threats bubble away in the background. The Fantastic Four find themselves divided, spread not just across the globe, but across the universe. The Thing has taken a serum created the Future Foundation (made up of gifted children) which has temporarily restored his human form for a week. The negative zone in the Baxter Building is under attack by Annihilus - commander of an unending wave of bugs and monsters.

As people often remark, it's a really good run, and many of you will have seen it before, but I'm posting it because X posts without any panels in in a panel thread makes me sad.

and many months later...

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Swamp thing's space adventures started after he reforested Gotham and the army zapped him with some gizmo that Luthor designed

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Wasn't Rhodey a cyborg for a while?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lurdiak posted:

The birds are there to show scale.

The birds have people riding on them.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

MisterBibs posted:

I'm at a loss on this one. Why could Scott look at the dude for a while before shooting him? Is "I can't see normally and have to use special glasses" the lie the alien was talking about?

Cyclops "lost" his powers earlier in the arc, something which the bad guy knew about and the only reason he was willing to challenge him to a staring contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
There was a kryptonian sewing machine inside the rocket.